Web Enabled Features on HD DVD - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 01-11-2010, 06:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I tried to get some of the web enabled features on some of my HD DVDs to work and did not have any success. Does anyone know if the web enabled features for the HD DVDs are still working? If so then what studios are still supporting the web enabled features? I tried it on The Transformers and Shrek the Third. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 01-11-2010, 07:06 PM
AVS Special Member

If they aren't 'up' at present time, it just shows how worthless these downloadable features really are. The servers won't be up forever. Whenever BD's replacement comes, I'm sure they'll take those down. I'm basing this off of online video game support for legacy consoles.
post #3 of 9 Old 01-11-2010, 08:43 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geaux Tigers View Post

I tried to get some of the web enabled features on some of my HD DVDs to work and did not have any success. Does anyone know if the web enabled features for the HD DVDs are still working? If so then what studios are still supporting the web enabled features? I tried it on The Transformers and Shrek the Third. Thanks.

I had checked this out during a discussion on another forum, and Transformers was the only HD DVD that had any content available. I checked the night of December 27th. So either they took the Transformers server down on January 1st, or your connection may not be properly set up. The other title that sort of worked was 300 - all there is are wallpapers and ringtones that you can send to your cellphone, but I was at least able to see the items - not sure if that meant their web connection was up, or if it was just on the disc and looked like it was a web feature.

Universal titles were down for sure, as I tested BSG, Bourne Ultimatum and Eastern Promises; and Beowulf (another Paramount title like Transformers) was down. Terminator 2 Steelbook German import was down also.

Oh, some of the features weren't "worthless", as the T2 had a couple that were darn cool, and I enjoyed the Bourne Ultimatum spy feature when that was up, but just like the Blu-ray implementation, they didn't make good access of the feature. Transformers had some decent stuff also.
post #4 of 9 Old 01-12-2010, 09:09 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Last time I checked Universal on Bourne Ultimatum was not working.
Warner on Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix was working right before the Half Blood Prince came out in theaters. Transformers well I downloaded the gps tracking and a few of the other ones. I purchased the blu transformers for $10 and it has all the downloaded stuff from hd dvd was already on the blu disc.
No matter what I still love HD DVD but to get high def movies blu is the way to go now.

One day we will be saying goodbye to blu also.
post #5 of 9 Old 01-13-2010, 10:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 41
The reality of these 'online' features is that they will more often be used to market other products and as people are finding out, servers won't be active forever.

Really, from what I have seen on BD-Live, it is not worth worrying about. The only remotely interesting feature was some of the real-time online trivia challenges but in the end there is only so much trivia you can have about one movie title and questions are quickly repeated.

BD-Live is a failed attempt to make older titles 'up-to-date.' Studios would much rather a title you purchased two years ago have trailers for new product when you pop them back in your player. That is what BD-Lives primary goal was, but the current hardware and software implementation is just slow and clunky.

The only thing I have used BD-Live for in the last six months is to register my Sony BDs for sony rewards points. It is in excusable that is takes nearly five minutes from the time you click on the BD-Live link to get to the user interface. This is on a hardwired BD35 over a broadband connection.

post #6 of 9 Old 06-22-2011, 02:50 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Sorry to raise this from the dead.

I take it the web enabled features are dead? I bought a new LG LV5500 and finally had enough HDMI ports to have my HD DVD player connected along with my PS3 and DVR. I tried downloading some Sector 7 Intel and got an error. I guess the servers are down now.

post #7 of 9 Old 06-22-2011, 10:08 PM

Liked: 14
I accessed the "Blood Diamond" online features on Sunday (having FINALLY gotten a disc that wasn't defective or rotted!), what made me laugh was the 'poll' Warner still had up asking what other titles you wanted to buy on HD-DVD. I chose all the titles listed that did not get released on HD-DVD

They also asked me to rate the "Blood Diamond" HD-DVD from one to five stars- I gave it 1 star just because of how many copies I had to go through just to get one that played!

All the Universal online features I've tried are now offline, but I was able to download the stuff from the first 2 animated "Freedom" discs I have.

I agree that BD-Live is ridiculously clunky- I've noticed Disney isn't even using it on their new discs now (and they don't take so long to start the damn movie either.)
post #8 of 9 Old 06-23-2011, 05:19 AM

I tried Transformers in the UK last week and the online content was still there. I downloaded the GPS tracker and the bumblebee menu theme
post #9 of 9 Old 06-23-2011, 06:51 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I get a NET0112 error.

Reply HD DVD Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page