Casablanca HD-DVD No longer plays - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 09-02-2010, 03:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
HD-DVD is in perfect condition physical appearance wise but can no longer be recognized by the Toshiba XA-1 (FW 4.0) and my HTPC with Bluray/HD-DVD drive. I will test later with the A-1 and the XBOX360 HD-DVD. Anybody with this problem? All other HD-DVDs play fine so its only this disc.

I don't mind upgrading to blu version but I hate wasting money (I already have the DVD)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-02-2010, 05:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Just checked mine. It still plays fine.

Did you try the old soap and water trick?
Old 09-03-2010, 06:27 AM - Thread Starter

Tried soap and water even though the disc has no dirt or scratch but still can't read the disc. Oh well... I guess I have to buy the blu version now. I should have backed it up the first time it did work more than a year ago (disc was only out once in its package before this error)

Now I have to open all my other still unopened HD-DVD to see they're still OK. Tried "Born on the Fourth of July" on HD-DVD the other night and this worked perfectly.
Old 09-03-2010, 11:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by weapon_x11 View Post

I will test later with the A-1 and the XBOX360 HD-DVD.

You did this, and the disc is definitely bad?
Old 09-03-2010, 01:53 PM

Just a suggestion here. I remember some EARLY dual-layer DVDs eventually got some sort of layer "rot" that would cause players to not be able to read past the first layer. I've read a lot of people contacted the studio and had their DVDs replaced for free (probably also gave the studio a chance to study the issue to keep it from happening later).

It may be worth mentioning your problem to the studio in this case as well, as maybe some of the HD-DVDs have similar issues as the old dual-layer DVDs. It's completely plausable that they would replace your HD-DVD with a Blu-ray if requested. Can't hurt to try!

Mike
Old 09-06-2010, 07:52 PM - Thread Starter

I just decided to just re-order the blu version. First thing I'll do is back the disc up before playing

My launch XBOX360 no longer recognizes the HD-DVD drive. The HD-DVD drive works fine when connected to Windows 7 PC. However, Any DVD HD is unable to complete ripping the disc.

I e-mailed Amazon and they were supposed to send me a new HD-DVD but its no longer available so they just reimbursed my original purchase price. Kudos to Amazon. I have been ordering from them since the early days of DVDs (pre-2000s) and this is the only disc that went bad.