HD DVDs That Play On One Player But Not Another - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 10-22-2010, 03:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all - Just wanted to hear your stories about certain HD DVDs in your collection that for whatever reason either won't boot or exhibit problems on one HD DVD player but not on another one you own.

I own two HD-XA1s, an HD-D1 and the Xbox 360 add-on. For whatever reason Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory simply will not play all the way through on any of my first-generation players. All three units are 4.0 firmware and all three will start the film just fine but if I try to skip chapters, select scenes or fast-forward the video that's when things fall apart and the film locks up. If I allow the movie to just play on its own I can only get about 25 minutes through it before it locks the player up. On the 360 add-on though, it just plays and plays. No troubles at all. Now I'm used to DVDs locking up such as the public domain ones put out by Millcreek on my first-generation players but Willy kind of took me by surprise especially since it happens to all three players. So I have to boot the 360 every time the kids want to watch it

How 'bout you? Any crazy instances of an HD DVD not playing correctly on one player but perfectly fine on another in your household?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 10-22-2010, 04:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Willy Wonka didn't play all the way through on my XA2 but I didn't try it on any of my other machines.

The biggest problem that most people have is the import of Stalingrad. Early copies wouldn't play on anything but Gen 2 machines. It wouldn't play on any Gen 1 or 3 machines.
post #3 of 3 Old 10-22-2010, 09:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
SKY CAPTAIN was the only title that was like this for me. I eventually returned it (but didn't get a refund because I forgot to include the invoice slip with the return to DD and they claimed to have not received it), and bought it locally. An earlier copy (judged by packaging) worked.
Reply HD DVD Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page