Beware of HD-DVD World - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 19 Old 01-10-2011, 11:04 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I ordered from them and all they did is take my money. They emailed me a few times saying they would send out the title but they never did. So much time has passed going back and forth, I doubt I will ever see my money.

Yes, they have a lot of titles and other stuff, but I'm just warning you that you are taking a chance with these crooks. It wasn't much money but I just don't like thieves getting away witrh this stuff. You can send me a message if you want to see the emails between me and them.

Not saying you won't get your stuff but, like I said, I'm only warning you about them so you don't get scammed like me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 01-10-2011, 01:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 42
sorry you got scammed. I can't believe there would be an internet storefront for a format that died over three years ago. Buyer beware of these specialty store fronts on the web.

Always look for a real address. Do they provide a phone number? Does anyone answer? If they answer are they actually knowledgeable on the product? Otherwise stay away.

At this point the deals you are getting on HD DVDs can't be that much of savings over the same titles on BD. Those BD titles are old catalog by now and you should be able to get them for $10 or less if you watch for the deals. Plus buying titles that are that old in shelf life is a crapshoot too. If you have a problem only the retailer can help you out and as you found out most are unwilling.

post #3 of 19 Old 01-11-2011, 04:46 AM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotscammed View Post

I ordered from them and all they did is take my money. They emailed me a few times saying they would send out the title but they never did. So much time has passed going back and forth, I doubt I will ever see my money.

Yes, they have a lot of titles and other stuff, but I'm just warning you that you are taking a chance with these crooks. It wasn't much money but I just don't like thieves getting away witrh this stuff. You can send me a message if you want to see the emails between me and them.

Not saying you won't get your stuff but, like I said, I'm only warning you about them so you don't get scammed like me.

They have a phone number listed on their site, did you call it and ask to cancel your order since the discs were never shipped? If they don't want to cancel, tell your credit card company.

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
post #4 of 19 Old 01-11-2011, 08:19 AM

Gotscammed-sorry to hear about your situation. Be you contact your CC soon. They'll likely say wait "xxxxx days" and contact the company first. Then they need to do their dispute/refund process. Each credit card company may be different, so try to find out now what their process is, so you know what to do if the company itself won't resolve this. If you wait too long, sometimes you can't get your funds back. Good luck!
post #5 of 19 Old 01-11-2011, 01:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toknowshita View Post

At this point the deals you are getting on HD DVDs can't be that much of savings over the same titles on BD. Those BD titles are old catalog by now and you should be able to get them for $10 or less if you watch for the deals. Plus buying titles that are that old in shelf life is a crapshoot too. If you have a problem only the retailer can help you out and as you found out most are unwilling.

I don't even see any HD-DVD titles there. It's all Blu, DVD, and games as far as I could see.

Wide Awake

on the Edge

of the World

post #6 of 19 Old 01-14-2011, 02:06 PM

The OP never said they ordered an 'HD DVD', just that they ordered from that company.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 19 Old 01-15-2011, 10:35 AM

True but the OP used "HD DVD" world, and posted in the HD DVD forum
post #8 of 19 Old 01-15-2011, 07:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 58
I had a problem with them about 3 years ago. I ordered 3 HD DVDs and never got them after waiting a month, until I raised a stink about it in another forum (that HD DVD World was using to promote his site). Surprised it's still around since it did generate a lot of complaints over there until he left. Wierd that he keeps the name "HD DVD World" even though he no longer sells HD DVDs, lol.
post #9 of 19 Old 08-10-2012, 12:01 AM

i bought something 40 bucks on july 1. 2012 at hddvd world , today is aug 9 and i have not got it yet. and why nobody warned me about this site in the first place? i think it is google fault to not warned anybody about this. i found this site on GOOGLE SHOPPING. world got the lowest price on my dvd so choose the site. so that was my mistake is trust google to have good stores for my dvd. google should inform me that the hddvdworld was a fraud.now i am afiad using a google shopping search now for my dvds.
post #10 of 19 Old 08-11-2012, 03:46 PM

This is an official response from The DVD World Company that this thread is not accurate. All orders are filled by us. Orders can run into issues and we do everything in our power to resolve the issue. If you have an issue contact support@hddvdworld.com for support and your issue will be resolved. Let it also be known that several online companies use DVD World as their supplier as well.
post #11 of 19 Old 08-17-2012, 10:27 AM

Eddie, you're STILL ripping people off? Sigh. Just in case anyone else is considering buying stuff from DVD World, don't. He lies, cheats and steals on a regular basis. Here's some fun links: A

Here's a thread from THIS FORUM about what a scam his company is: http://www.avsforum.com/t/761267/hd-dvd-world-has-most-titles
High Def Digest forum thread where everyone is complaining: http://forums.highdefdigest.com/showthread.php?t=810
Complaints board: http://www.complaintsboard.com/complaints/dvd-world-dvd-destination-game-destination-c3513.html

He's had at least 2 ebay accounts shut down for ripping people off. I thought he'd given up. Guess not.
post #12 of 19 Old 08-29-2012, 04:11 AM

you mean HD DVD is not worth that money?I have bought one yesterday,am I scammed?
post #13 of 19 Old 10-30-2012, 05:51 PM

On October 6th, 2012, I ordered four DVDs from Hd DVD world. All were listed as in stock items, which they claim will be shipped within 24 hours of receipt of an order. My credit card was promptly debited on the 7th, under the name of Deborah Papetti (her husband apparently runs the company). On the 19th, I used their 'contact us' email to ask the status of my now late birthday gift. On the 22nd, I received and email reply saying that the order had been shipped and I should have received it by now, and since I hadn't, they would immediately ship a replacement. When I had still not received the order on the 26th, I tried to use their live chat to inquire about what was going on. I was informed that live chat was not available at the moment, and invited to submit another email, which I did. Since this was early in the day during normal business hours, I began to get suspicious, and did research on the company (which I should have done before ordering, but I was in a hurry...) only to find out the others have been given the same excuses. So I sent another email telling them that they were out of time and to cancel the order. Note that the 26th when I sent my last email was three days before hurricane sandy hit New York. Now, today on the 30th, I finally received another email response from them, now blaming Sandy for not being able to check status of my order. They obviously have power and internet access because they were able to email me, and certainly had it for three days before the hurricane hit, so I don't believe one word of it. Bottom line - if you are thinking of ordering form these scammers, please do a little more research, as I should have done. You will find the internet littered with complaints about this company.
post #14 of 19 Old 10-31-2012, 06:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 91
If you ordered with a credit card, call your credit card company and dispute the charge.

David Vaughn

Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer

Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)

post #15 of 19 Old 11-26-2012, 11:11 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 29
those prices are higher than BB and amazon...pass
post #16 of 19 Old 02-16-2013, 07:15 PM

I've been ripped off, too. I can't believe that this company is still operating while stealing peoples' money. Has anyone filed a complaint against them? I bought a blu-ray from them back in June of 2010. I should have know something was up at the time. I looked all over the net and it hadn't been released in blu-ray format, yet HD-DVD World claimed to have it. They charged my card immediately but I received nothing. Upon contacting them, they explained that when the movie actually IS released they would ship it. If I wanted to change my order at any time to get something in stock, they would do that. Well, the movie I wanted was never released in blu-ray format, so this past October I changed my order. I've talked to someone on the phone, chatted with somebody on the online chat facility of the web site, and I've emailed them repeatedly. Always stalling, never delivering. Now they don't answer emails. It's probably too late to report this to the credit card company. Does anyone have any ideas on how to rid the internet of this crook?

Les
post #17 of 19 Old 02-17-2013, 09:49 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 29
its the internet, you get rid of one domain, 10 more just like them pop up. Id still contact the credit card company...
post #18 of 19 Old 02-18-2013, 03:36 PM

Thanks, I'll do that. And in the meantime I might try to file a complaint with the NY attorney general's office. They do have a fraud division.
post #19 of 19 Old 08-19-2013, 11:21 AM

I have a happy ending to report. After posting my story on this forum, I decided to look up New York State's attorney general's office. The web site has a downloadable form for filing complaints about internet fraud. I sent this in along with supporting documents, and within a few weeks, voila!......HD-DVD World sent me the blu-ray I ordered. Of course in the meantime I had already bought it from another source, so now I have two. In the letter that accompanied the blu-ray, they blamed "miscommunication" for the problem. Yeah, right!

Les
Reply HD DVD Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page