"Mutiny On The Bounty" freezes on HD-A2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 03-22-2011, 05:04 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 139
First, I've loved this film since the '60s and think the HD DVD is an awesome restoration. Color, clarity and soundtrack are all top notch.

The problem I've run into is the dread "error 408bc504". I'm now on my 3rd disc from Amazon and each of them has had a varied number of freezes. I've had an HD-A2 player since 2007 and have run into this before. Some errors were solved by cleaning the disc, some were obviously scratched discs and some just seemed to be some wonky problem with that disc and my player. I've tried all of the cleaning tricks on these discs without improvement. I was hoping I would get a MOTB disc that would just play but now I'm not sure.

I did try the second disc on my XBox360 add-on and it played without a hitch through the spot where it was stopping on the A2. At this point I'm not sure if I should just keep sending them back and reordering, hoping that I'll get a disc that will play an the A2, just keep one that will play on the add-on or give up. The A2 is in my main viewing area and the add-on is downstairs. Thankfully Amazon has been refunding my money and paying for the return postage, so I'm not losing anything with these returns.

Has anybody with an A2 had a similar experience with this title? I left my A2 @ FW 2.8 and the rest of my catalog has played without difficulty. I'm beginning to think this problem has more to do with this lot of discs but who knows?

"Dave, this conversation can serve no purpose anymore. Goodbye." - 2001:ASO
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 03-25-2011, 11:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hey there, I'm from Michigan as well, about a two-hour drive south of ya. I too love that film and purchased MOTB maybe a year or two ago offa eBay, it was brand-new sealed... I believe it was Canadian in origin but I've got to believe its the same batch you're getting them from. I haven't been able to bring myself to watching it again after I first received it but its not because of any freezing issues (I'm watching on an LG BH-200)... rather the problem is a really bad lip sync issue. The movie starts out well enough but long about half way thru the lip sync begins to rear its ugly head, first its only a few ms apart but that grows as the movie progresses to the point where it eventualy becomes utterly un-watchable all the way to the end. Have you experienced any of that yet? or have you not been able to get that far into the movie because of it freezing? Today, I actually have yet another choice for HD DVD playback, its my HTPC. I think tonight I will break that movie back out and see how it does in the HDDVD drive... I suspect it won't be any different though.

"For deep bass, the listener is not really listening to the speaker, but rather, is listening to the room as it is being played by the speaker."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 Old 03-25-2011, 07:51 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Hey monomer,

As luck would have it I just received my fourth disc of MOTB today and apparently the fourth time is a charm. I just finished watching it and no freezes!

I decided to order it from a different Amazon vendor and this one was "used, like new" too. Although the other three were sold as used also, those three were in factory-sealed cases. This one is clearly used and looked a little worse for the wear but played flawlessly. It's actually missing the insert but I really don't care about that. It's a keeper.

I have read of others experiencing lip sync issues with this disc when I googled it, searching for problems with MOTB and the HD-A2. I have not seen this with any of the four discs I tried though. Weird, huh?

This is a great transfer of a classic movie. Good luck with the HTPC. I hope that works out for you.

post #4 of 6 Old 03-26-2011, 09:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Glad to hear you finally got to watch the movie and it wasn't your player's fault.

Well, I tried the movie again last night but this time in my HTPC. I didn't realize how saturated the colors were back on my first viewing, many scenes bathed in 'golden/reddish hues'... or could it be my HTPC (I'm using WinDVD10plus and a GeForce 220 for acceleration and without any enhancements on). Anyway... no freeze-ups, but of course I wasn't really expecting any since it played straight through the first time on my BH-200. However... the lip sync issue is still there... perhaps not quite as bad as I had seem to recall but very distracting at some points for sure. I find it hard to believe EVERYONE isn't plague by this. I'm guessing most people either aren't watching careful enough or their TV screens are too small to notice the tiny lips moving out of sync. I'm watching on an 8-ft + wide projection screen in a darkened basement theater and the lip sync issue is quite annoyingly apparent at times.

To prove out this theroy.... Doc, could you do me a favor when you have the free time? Go to chapter 32 and get up closer to your TV and observe the lip sync in that whole chapter... I'm almost certain you will see what I'm talking about. However I've got to warn you.... once you've seen it, you will never be able to un-see it and that may forever ruin your movie experience for watching that movie in HD DVD again.

Actually there are several places starting from ~Chapter 30 'til the end of the movie where the lip sync problem rears its ugly head, however as far back as some scenes in ~Chapter 26 there are minor issues that unless you are paying very careful attention it would probably never be noticed even on a big screen. But you are right, some viewers have noticed enough to mention it in their online reviews while others never make a comment about it in their reviews... that I did find odd.... however if you'll do what I'm asking here that will give me a data point from which to extrapolate to the conclusion that there was only one batch run and they all suffer from this same lip sync issue but its screen size and attention to detail that is what will determine if a viewer actually notices or not. If you don't see it, then my hypothesis must be wrong and there must have been more than one batch of HDDVDs of this movie produced. Give it a go and we will compare notes back here, okay? Thanks.

BTW, at least twice a year we (the wife and I) always make a special trip just to drive through the Tunnel of the Trees in different seasons and we stop off all along the way to let the dogs (2 Golden Retriever) run on the beach and water retrieve. My wife loves to tourist shop in Harbor Springs, its a very scenic place to be sure.

"For deep bass, the listener is not really listening to the speaker, but rather, is listening to the room as it is being played by the speaker."

post #5 of 6 Old 03-26-2011, 11:05 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by monomer View Post

To prove out this theroy.... Doc, could you do me a favor when you have the free time? Go to chapter 32 and get up closer to your TV and observe the lip sync in that whole chapter... I'm almost certain you will see what I'm talking about. However I've got to warn you.... once you've seen it, you will never be able to un-see it and that may forever ruin your movie experience for watching that movie in HD DVD again.

You're absolutely right, there is a lip sync problem on mine as well. I hadn't paid attention or noticed it while watching a 58" screen at 10'-11'. I do now up close though. Hopefully I can overlook this in the future! Of course, my wife and I were enjoying a bottle of wine watching it last night, so that might help in the future too!

Quote:
BTW, at least twice a year we (the wife and I) always make a special trip just to drive through the Tunnel of the Trees in different seasons and we stop off all along the way to let the dogs (2 Golden Retriever) run on the beach and water retrieve. My wife loves to tourist shop in Harbor Springs, its a very scenic place to be sure.

We moved here in 1988 and it's a wonderful place to call home. I hope they never close Zoll Street park to the dogs. My Lab loves it too!

post #6 of 6 Old 03-26-2011, 11:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocCasualty View Post

You're absolutely right, there is a lip sync problem on mine as well. I hadn't paid attention or noticed it while watching a 58" screen at 10'-11'. I do now up close though. Hopefully I can overlook this in the future! Of course, my wife and I were enjoying a bottle of wine watching it last night, so that might help in the future too!

We moved here in 1988 and it's a wonderful place to call home. I hope they never close Zoll Street park to the dogs. My Lab loves it too!

The lip sync problem bums me because I've always like all the "Bounty" movies and like to view each one from time to time. I was born and raised on the windward side of Oahu in Hawaii in the 50s and 60s and at 18 left only to return on occassional visits over the past forty years. I guess I have a soft spot for all things tropical and the story of what happen on the Bounty is interesting in its telling, plus all versions of it so far have been well scripted with increased production values improving with each re-telling.

I didn't even know about the Zoll street park until last summer. We took the dogs there on an overcast, damp day and they actually impressed several people who were there with their kids and dogs. Both our dogs love to water retrieve but one has such strong drive he will go to all lengths to complete a retrieve. I was using a full size ChuckIt and an Ultra Ball that day and I could get it out almost to the deep channel (the buoys) the boats were using and Sidney was retrieving it like a machine non-stop. Our female, Sophie, would visit the little kids in between her retrieves but that's just her way. And that's my memories from that day and that place. A nice place for water-oriented dogs, too bad it isn't bigger though... there's an actual dog beach down at Ludington and another big one in Muskegon. We've been going 'up north' so long though that I swear we know all the 'unofficial' doggie beach spots along Lake Michigan... we always make a half dozen of these doggie-break stops on those little day trips.

Reply HD DVD Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page