post #451 of 498 Old 09-21-2013, 03:23 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by scowl View Post

The only HD-DVD I've heard that's not on Blu-ray in America is Forbidden Planet. I could be wrong.

I went through Smallville Season Six and only the second disc is dead. So that's all of the WB discs I own. I still have around 20 more but they're all Universal so I'll assume they're good. I bought around two dozen titles when the format was declared dead.

Yes "Forbidden Planet" is available on blu-ray (Warner actually replaced my bad HD-DVD of this title with the blu-ray).

A long-time audio/video addict!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 498 Old 09-28-2013, 06:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Wish I had paid more attention to this topic. I have spent the better part of the last two days backing up my 103 disc HD-DVD collection. Thirty titles in so far and eight dead discs. One is WB and the other seven are all Universal. I haven't gotten to Paramount. I still have a ton of Universal and WB to try to salvage. WB has agreed to swap up to five for blu and Universal has agreed to replace defective titles as well but I'm not sure how many they will cover. Luckily, all of my HD-DVD exclusives were still playable and able to back up. I picked up a like new X-Box 360 add-on drive from ebay for $35 shipped. When I'm done archiving I'll be selling it but it was worth the $35 if I can't sell it.

All of this has caused me to start planning a server if for no other reason, to have my physical discs archived in case any Blu-Ray or even DVD titles I own decide to be uncooperative in the future.

Early adopting is a hoot...
post #453 of 498 Old 10-02-2013, 06:44 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
First time I've heard on serious issues with Universal discs !! If that is a trend then I give up on the format completely if they start failing !!
post #454 of 498 Old 10-02-2013, 08:17 AM
AVS Special Member

To be fair, I can't remember whch titles I purchased new and which were used. There is always the chance that some of my issues are scratched discs that weren't cared for by the previous owners. However I do have a few that are indeed cloudy. Who knows?!?
post #455 of 498 Old 10-02-2013, 08:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Just a follow up, I ended up with 13 WB not working, 1 Paramount & 8 Universal...
post #456 of 498 Old 10-03-2013, 01:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSHA222 View Post

Wish I had paid more attention to this topic. I have spent the better part of the last two days backing up my 103 disc HD-DVD collection. Thirty titles in so far and eight dead discs. One is WB and the other seven are all Universal. I haven't gotten to Paramount. I still have a ton of Universal and WB to try to salvage. WB has agreed to swap up to five for blu and Universal has agreed to replace defective titles as well but I'm not sure how many they will cover. Luckily, all of my HD-DVD exclusives were still playable and able to back up. I picked up a like new X-Box 360 add-on drive from ebay for $35 shipped. When I'm done archiving I'll be selling it but it was worth the $35 if I can't sell it.

All of this has caused me to start planning a server if for no other reason, to have my physical discs archived in case any Blu-Ray or even DVD titles I own decide to be uncooperative in the future.

Early adopting is a hoot...

universal was pressed at cinram . Still is
post #457 of 498 Old 10-03-2013, 06:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

IMO this is an over-reaction to the problem. While I can fully understand backing-up the HD-DVD "exclusives", if any non-exclusive discs fail they can be replaced in multiple ways by a BD (contact the studio, re-purchase, rental). Heck even buying anew if an HD-DVD fails is small potatoes ($) vs. setting-up and maintaining a server solely for backups.
post #458 of 498 Old 10-03-2013, 07:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Weil I copy that but I'm just taking an approach I think is going to benefit me. With the number of discs I have, BD, DVD & HDDVD, it becomes difficult to wade through my choices. So having a server, which is something I've been on the fence about for a few years, will not only make my collection more accessible, but keep the discs from being handled. Is it an overreaction? Absolutely biggrin.gif If the HDDVDs had not given issue, I would still be strongly considering a server though, just not as strongly as I am now.
post #459 of 498 Old 10-03-2013, 08:11 AM

Quote:

Just a follow up, I ended up with 13 WB not working, 1 Paramount & 8 Universal...

Looks like I will have to start checking all my Universal discs now !! I had started backing up (movie only) WB discs to BD-Rs.....might have to buy some more !!
post #460 of 498 Old 10-04-2013, 05:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Weil I copy that but I'm just taking an approach I think is going to benefit me. With the number of discs I have, BD, DVD & HDDVD, it becomes difficult to wade through my choices. So having a server, which is something I've been on the fence about for a few years, will not only make my collection more accessible, but keep the discs from being handled. Is it an overreaction? Absolutely biggrin.gif If the HDDVDs had not given issue, I would still be strongly considering a server though, just not as strongly as I am now.

I get it; I have a WHS2011 server myself, and it's great fun for Windows Updates and PC backups, though I don't use it for movies. I always get a headache when thinking about putting terabytes of movies onto a Server or NAS which next means you have to Back-up your Server or NAS which means more terabyles of storage...yikes. So I burn DVD and BD discs instead.

eek.gif
post #461 of 498 Old 10-04-2013, 06:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laserfan View Post

I get it; I have a WHS2011 server myself, and it's great fun for Windows Updates and PC backups, though I don't use it for movies. I always get a headache when thinking about putting terabytes of movies onto a Server or NAS which next means you have to Back-up your Server or NAS which means more terabyles of storage...yikes. So I burn DVD and BD discs instead.

eek.gif

yeah. However many terabytes of storage you HAVE to have has to be doubled. I haven't done the price comparison between blank disc media and hdd... I just bought 3tb drives for about $120 from newegg. Right now, everything I've backed up, I have then copied to a second drive and they are just in cases on my shelf. As long as I know what hdd has what title, it's no biggie. A server based approach would just allow for a slick GUI but it is certainly not required. A Thermaltake HD dock and a Dune or WDTV or similar will work fine for a lot less money smile.gif
post #462 of 498 Old 10-04-2013, 02:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

A Thermaltake HD dock and a Dune or WDTV or similar will work fine for a lot less money

Good thinking--at least sometimes, Simpler is Better! cool.gif
post #463 of 498 Old 10-22-2013, 01:50 AM

Well having replaced a number of defective WB HDVDs last year with cheap replacements through Amazon marketplace, the first of my replacements has now died !! It was Superman Returns, so the second copy of this disc that has died !! Luckily I made a BD-R backup of the movie when I first got it !! Time to start going through all the WB discs again......this is getting tedious now !!!
post #464 of 498 Old 10-22-2013, 06:55 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Hmm. I dug out my Spartacus HD-DVD for the first time in something like a year, and it had a few white spots on the disc--and it indeed stuttered and froze at various spots, even after cleaning it (at least I could FF past them). That particular disc isn't that big a deal (though I wouldn't mind getting it replaced like TSHA222 apparently did--I'm shocked they did that this late in the game), but it does make me wonder about the state of all my other orphaned discs...

...and I need your sweet love, Latina T-Mobile girl!

post #465 of 498 Old 10-22-2013, 09:21 AM
AVS Special Member

I just grabbed my heretofore UNTOUCHED Spartacus and it had some white marks that cleaned right off, and a rather heavy layer of film on the case (the circular area below the underside of the disc) that suggests out-gassing. Dunno of course if the film is from the case or the disc or the disc-affecting-the-case or what--I'm no chemist.

But thanks for the heads-up; I will rip the disc to PC this afternoon and make a backup just in case. Haven't seen this movie in years but when I do have 3hrs and 17mins to spare sometime I want this HD-DVD to work for me!

smile.gif
post #466 of 498 Old 10-22-2013, 09:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnacha View Post

Looks like I will have to start checking all my Universal discs now !! I had started backing up (movie only) WB discs to BD-Rs.....might have to buy some more !!

I managed to get through all of my Universal discs this weekend. There may have been stuttering and dropout problems (I didn't watch every minute of them) but they all played from beginning to end.
Donnacha likes this.

NOW: my post on AVS Forum.
NEXT: someone else's post on AVS Forum.
post #467 of 498 Old 11-01-2013, 09:40 AM
AVS Special Member

If there's probs with Universal discs, I'm also calling it a day with the format. I've since come to the conclusion that any and all Warner titles will eventually be unplayable. I'm in the process of replacing them, trading them in for store credit at Best Buy for $5 each and in many cases buying something that at least feels like an upgrade (digibooks, steelbooks, anniversary editions) of sorts. I'm also re-evaluating my opinions on these films, as I'm far more selective on titles I purchase than I was when few titles were available (early on, I was hungry for HD content, I guess). I've yet to have any other non-Warner titles error out, though I noticed for the first time a couple days ago that I was having a few issues with import Studio Canal titles. One, played the movie fine but got locked to a black screen at the point where the disc was to return to the main menu after the film was done. The player locked and I had to hold the power button in. I tried it again, and it went to the menu normally. Next Studio Canal title, it locked up (froze on a frame) during SC's release "trailer". Again, had to hold power in on the player. Next try, played through fine. I don't know whether to chalk it up to a player issue now, as if it was the same problem as the Warner titles, I'd think that it would result in the same disc error code being displayed on screen (also repeatable), rather than player lockups. I will say that with accepting the Warner issues for what they are, I've replaced a few HD DVD titles with import HD DVDs that were put out by different distributors. I picked up the UK Planet Earth recently, though I've yet to test out my US Planet Earth. I just kind of assume that it won't work right on at least one of the discs, anyways. I had to make sure that PE was not handled by Warner in the UK, first. Most titles are handled worldwide by WHV, but not all.

No point in trying to replace any Warner HD DVD for another Warner HD DVD.
post #468 of 498 Old 11-01-2013, 11:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

After watching Smallville on HD-DVD (one bad disc in the set), I decided to watch season 2 conventional DVD's which I bought a few years ago.

To my disappointment, the third disc had errors that made the second episode unreadable. There are no visible defects on the surface of the disc. The DVD set had been sitting on the shelf next to HD-DVD's and Blu-rays. I had watched the entire set when I first got it.

Now I'm suspicious of everything.

post #469 of 498 Old 11-04-2013, 01:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Well, I had 'Mulholland Drive' UK HD DVD lock up my player at around the same point (1:30-1:34) three times in a row, so I'm kind of worried here. Figured WHV discs were a lost cause, but now I'm wondering if there was some flaw in the design (were there any guidelines on how discs were to be manufactured?). The StudioCanal titles, though not that many, were probably the best titles available for the format (IMO). Really didn't want to have these go bad. Even if the format was abandoned, consumers shouldn't have to deal with this. Remember back in the early compact disc days when titles had that little paragraph in the liner notes promising a lifetime of enjoyment from the media as long as it was properly handled and cared for? I own around 300 titles, and probably paid on average $10-15 each for these. $3K plus of discs that rot to nothing?
post #470 of 498 Old 11-05-2013, 06:47 AM

NEW DEFECTIVE MOVIE: Blade Runner The Final Cut froze after 6 minutes with 408bc509. I got the suitcase special edition in 2007.

Bought the Blu-ray digibook with my Chase Freedom Reward points because it's my favorite movie of all time and I don't want to deal with the month turnaround time from Warner.

I am pretty pissed. I really feel like 5 years from now all my HD-DVDs will be unplayable. I really don't feel like watching all of them one by one, but it's getting annoying.

I tested the Final Cut last January too and it played fine.

Really? :/
post #471 of 498 Old 11-05-2013, 08:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I'll just slowly replace them with Blu-rays over the next few years. A defective movie is only a problem for me if it dies when other people are over and that hasn't happened yet.

I also replaced Blade Runner. The Blu-ray set was only $15. With prices that low I'm not going to wet my pants over it.

post #472 of 498 Old 11-05-2013, 09:27 AM

Blade Runner failed for me also, so I replaced it for cheap with a HDDVD off Amazon and then backed the movie up to a 25GB BD-R. Therefore if the replacement copy fails I still have the BD-R in a proper case with a cover !!
post #473 of 498 Old 11-05-2013, 09:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Has anyone have any other disc but the first disc of Blade Runner fail? I thought it was funny that all the inferior versions played perfectly!

post #474 of 498 Old 11-05-2013, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scowl View Post

Has anyone have any other disc but the first disc of Blade Runner fail? I thought it was funny that all the inferior versions played perfectly!

I checked the other discs and they all played fine as well, lol.

I really hope this doesn't happen with Blu-rays.

In my 6 years of collecting I have never had an issue with a Blu-ray.
post #475 of 498 Old 11-05-2013, 10:00 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louisville S View Post

I checked the other discs and they all played fine as well, lol.

mad.gif Arrrggggh! mad.gif

At least their defective manufacturing was consistent!

post #476 of 498 Old 11-06-2013, 07:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louisville S View Post

In my 6 years of collecting I have never had an issue with a Blu-ray.
I have seen a couple of bad discs but given the tolerances involved failures have been surprisingly rare.

The worst ones seem at first to have zero visual defects, but then it's turned-out that I find an (incredibly small and hard-to-see) defect in the hard-coat--a barely detectable wrinkle that no doubt throws-off the laser beam.

I've not witnessed anything like "rot" with BD, and while some of my HD-DVDs appear to have "fogging" inside their cases, I've yet to find any defective ones.
post #477 of 498 Old 11-06-2013, 07:54 AM

I have a few backup HD-DVD players, an extra XA-2 and A3, but now I think my players will out last the discs.
post #478 of 498 Old 11-06-2013, 12:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Yeah me too, an XA-2 and a BH200 and one spare, an A-20 I think, that I've never even taken out-of-the-box. Given the Betamax tape players and 8mm Handi-cams and mulitple Minidisc machines I still have too, I guess you'd have to say I've never learned my lesson about being an early adopter, though I am finally off the Sony bandwagon, and for good this time! I promised myself!

redface.gif
post #479 of 498 Old 11-09-2013, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8traxrule View Post

Long story short, one copy of the first movie was defective, freezing up in the middle...

What causes this? I get this problem a lot on DVDs. It drives me nuts when you r in the middle of a good movie and bam, it freezes up and there's like a couple minutes that it will not play. it just skips over certain sections. Ugh.

Is this a defect on the disc itself or something to do with how that particular movie was processed?

post #480 of 498 Old 11-09-2013, 10:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

We'll probably never know but since the failure of the first HD-DVD disc of Blade Runner seems to be consistent, that implies a manufacturing flaw.

Reply HD DVD Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page