2Likes

post #481 of 503 Old 11-09-2013, 10:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 466
As mrkludge has often told me proper cleaning sometimes helps

just 1 more pair of KLIPSCH Classic speakers...
RED AND BLUE=MAROON!

PANASONIC 60" PLASMA 3D, DENON AVR-3312CI, LG BD670 3D NETWORK BRD (iPhone APPs), TOSHIBA HD-XA2 HD DVD, SAMSUNG BD-UP5000 HD DVD/BRD, iPod 8 GB, 13.2: KLIPSCH La Scala 1980 (Crites Rebuilt Type AA Crossovers Sonicaps) FRONT, HERESY II "SIGNATURE EDITION" WIDE, HERESY II CENTER/SURROUND, kg2 SB, kg3/kg1 Front/Rear HEIGHT, RW-12d SW, km-rsw
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #482 of 503 Old 11-10-2013, 05:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 18
"Freezing in the middle of the movie", especially in re: DVDs, suggests the player is having problems with the layer change. Could be a focussing problem, or dirt on the lens, or on the disc, or that the player is having trouble tracking at the outer edge of the disc (it tracks inside-to-outside then changes layers there) and if either the disc is warped (not likely) or the transport has aged/weakened (more likely) playback can suffer.
post #483 of 503 Old 12-21-2013, 10:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Watched my "Polar Express" HD-DVD (Warner) this evening. It played perfectly and was thoroughly enjoyable.

Update: subsequently watched the Universal combo HD-DVD "Dr. Seuss' How The Grinch Stole Christmas". It hiccuped once in chapter 6, so I cleaned the disc and then it played all the way through just fine.
SanchoPanza likes this.

A long-time audio/video addict!
post #484 of 503 Old 12-30-2013, 01:25 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Am in the middle of watching the Bourne trilogy at the moment. Great movies on a great format.
post #485 of 503 Old 12-30-2013, 01:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Happy to hear you guys not having trouble. Wish I could say the same. My issues aren't hardware related since my problem discs are still problem discs regardless of the player I try but the studios we're stand up enough to swap me for blu copies. Good customer service is so rare these days.
post #486 of 503 Old 12-30-2013, 01:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I watched all of the first season of Star Trek. All discs worked with no problems. Good because it isn't the cheapest thing available on Blu-ray and it wasn't the cheapest thing on HD-DVD either.

The two things I noticed. Load times on older players (Blu-ray included) are so much slower than players of today. Also with Star Trek there was a bug that if you left the episode screen running for too long, it would try to play the episode you selected but fail and return you to the screen. I had to reload the disc to fix that.
meriade likes this.

NOW: my post on AVS Forum.
NEXT: someone else's post on AVS Forum.
post #487 of 503 Old 01-02-2014, 04:59 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by scowl View Post

I watched all of the first season of Star Trek. All discs worked with no problems. Good because it isn't the cheapest thing available on Blu-ray and it wasn't the cheapest thing on HD-DVD either.

The two things I noticed. Load times on older players (Blu-ray included) are so much slower than players of today. Also with Star Trek there was a bug that if you left the episode screen running for too long, it would try to play the episode you selected but fail and return you to the screen. I had to reload the disc to fix that.

I got a copy of the 1st season too and all discs worked just fine

as well. Yes, loading times are quite long in comparison to the

newest players but watching the bad make-up of Spock and

Bones on the first episodes thanks HD is priceless :-)

Yesterday (tried) to watch Poseidom, but both copies that I have

are rotten ... damn it! Prior to that I could enjoy Blade Runner

- Final Cut without problems.

Cheers, Meriade.

post #488 of 503 Old 03-30-2014, 03:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Watched about 6 Warner HD DVDs in the last two days, every one played perfectly. Hopefully this is all more isolated than it seems.
post #489 of 503 Old 07-03-2014, 01:23 PM
AVS Special Member

This old thread deserves a bump. I played my Warner title of "V for Vendetta" and it was perfect, thankfully. First time played, first time having seen the movie. Great Movie!!!!

Craig Peer and SanchoPanza like this.
post #490 of 503 Old 07-03-2014, 07:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I had a little bad luck. A few months ago I bought the Robin Hood HD-DVD (still in the wrapper) and it wouldn't play at all. I got my eight bucks back though.

post #491 of 503 Old 07-06-2014, 02:42 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
For a long time i didn't saw movies on my Toshiba XD-E1. Last nicht I thought I give it a try with a wrapped like new Kubrick's Eyes Wide Shut HDDVD and it locked the player @1:19:10 Chapter 18 to 19.
Did anyone has success exchanging any Warner Bros Disc into a Blu-Ray by Warner in US. Did someone had success in Europe, Germany. Thanx.
post #492 of 503 Old 07-07-2014, 06:14 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by elmivan View Post
For a long time i didn't saw movies on my Toshiba XD-E1. Last nicht I thought I give it a try with a wrapped like new Kubrick's Eyes Wide Shut HDDVD and it locked the player @1:19:10 Chapter 18 to 19.
Did anyone has success exchanging any Warner Bros Disc into a Blu-Ray by Warner in US. Did someone had success in Europe, Germany. Thanx.
I was told i could exchange one disc and one disc only here in the UK (I never bothered )
post #493 of 503 Old 07-07-2014, 12:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by elmivan View Post
read here . .

Having VERY bad luck with Warner HD-DVDs!

A long-time audio/video addict!
post #494 of 503 Old 07-27-2014, 07:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 321
I've been having more and more freeze-ups/error won't play disc messages on my HD-DVDs. I haven't been paying attention to exactly which ones over the last year until I tried playing my trusty BladeRunner Final Cut HD-DVD, which I've viewed many times. It stopped playing and I got the error code with the long number on screen. I didn't write down the error code number as I presume it's probably one others have seen.

This was a huge bummer as I'm just about to show BladeRunner to my son for the first time and I sure don't want the experience ruined.

I wondered if it was my Onkyo HD DVD player starting to go bad or the discs.

I see BladeRunner is a Warner release so does this sound like the same issue everyone else is having here?

Rich H

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #495 of 503 Old 07-27-2014, 07:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness View Post

I see BladeRunner is a Warner release so does this sound like the same issue everyone else is having here?
It sounds like the same problem everyone is having. You may find that other discs in the Blade Runner set work.

post #496 of 503 Old 08-04-2014, 03:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness View Post
I've been having more and more freeze-ups/error won't play disc messages on my HD-DVDs. I haven't been paying attention to exactly which ones over the last year until I tried playing my trusty BladeRunner Final Cut HD-DVD, which I've viewed many times. It stopped playing and I got the error code with the long number on screen. I didn't write down the error code number as I presume it's probably one others have seen.

This was a huge bummer as I'm just about to show BladeRunner to my son for the first time and I sure don't want the experience ruined.

That's a bummer. I don't think I have too many Warner Brothers HD DVDs left, but I guess I need to cross my fingers when I play any HD DVDs at this point? Or just WB disks ?

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Direct Line - 585-671-2972
I'm available 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday Email me at

Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, Klipsch, and many more!
post #497 of 503 Old 08-04-2014, 03:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 466
Anyone try DVD2Blu, Warner's Exchange Program?
post #498 of 503 Old 08-18-2014, 01:21 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 14
We didn't / don't have a exchange program here :-(
post #499 of 503 Old 09-08-2014, 07:56 AM

I have never had any issue with HD DVD software that did NOT came from the Warner house.
post #500 of 503 Old 09-08-2014, 12:38 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 131
I always had trouble with the Universal flippers.

S~

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself
post #501 of 503 Old 09-08-2014, 12:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by teachsac View Post
I always had trouble with the Universal flippers
I just went through all of mine (Animal House, Breakfast Club, Dazed and Confused and a few others) and found no problems. I didn't check the DVD sides of course.

post #502 of 503 Old 09-08-2014, 02:38 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 131
3rd Bourne was one I can remember off the top of my head. Ended up with the Blu. One warner I can recall off the top of my head was Happy Feet 2.

S~

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself
post #503 of 503 Old 09-11-2014, 07:05 AM
AVS Special Member

I got one of those dreaded 4xxx "Cannot play disc" errors near the beginning of Matrix Reloaded, and when I re-started the disc, it played-thru the bad spot but then errored again a couple minutes later so I abandoned it. Played another HD-DVD instead (Tremors) and it was perfect.

I have never watched the Matrix Reloaded disc before so don't know "disc problem" or "player problem" but I am running old 2.7 firmware on my HD-XA2 and there are at least 3 new ones finalizing with 4.0 so am thinking to update to 4.0.

Has anyone here ever had this problem w/Matrix trilogy? Has anyone here ever had a disc playback problem solved by updating firmware?

EDIT: Tried ripping the disc--it is definitely very BAD with many dozens of errors although I can see nothing visually wrong with it. Wish I knew if it was bad-from-Day-1 or if it deteriorated like discussed here but can't say for sure. Anyway still no need for me to update firmware I guess.

Last edited by Laserfan; 09-11-2014 at 12:16 PM.
Reply HD DVD Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page