Having VERY bad luck with Warner HD-DVDs! - Page 20 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
Reply
Thread Tools
post #571 of 587 Old 03-04-2015, 08:57 AM
AVS Special Member
 
oleus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 3,603
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 16
the "failed" discs also failed (almost always at the layer switch) on my 360 drive.

Last edited by oleus; 03-04-2015 at 09:01 AM.
oleus is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #572 of 587 Old 03-16-2015, 10:29 AM
Member
 
eVo7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I booted up my HD-A30 for the first time in 2 years and I tried to play the movie Daylight, it keeps freezing at the same spot, did the same in my X360 HD DVD player, I guess this one bit the bullet as well, I actually wonder how movies in my collection have bit the dust in these two years.
eVo7 is offline  
post #573 of 587 Old 03-16-2015, 03:31 PM
Advanced Member
 
Rich86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: USA - California
Posts: 870
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by eVo7 View Post
I booted up my HD-A30 for the first time in 2 years and I tried to play the movie Daylight, it keeps freezing at the same spot, did the same in my X360 HD DVD player, I guess this one bit the bullet as well, I actually wonder how movies in my collection have bit the dust in these two years.
and that's a Universal release . . Warner has been the problem for me . . not Universal. Guess I'll have to try my "Daylight" HD-DVD.

A long-time audio/video addict!
Rich86 is online now  
post #574 of 587 Old 03-16-2015, 05:11 PM
AVS Special Member
 
NorthSky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Canada - West Island: Vancouver, South Direction: Go East
Posts: 9,151
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3829 Post(s)
Liked: 1332
Universal studios, in the era of DVDs, they had several discs with the "rotten disc" issue. ...The glue between the two layers (DVD 9) wasn't holding up.
I lost a bunch of good movie titles, and I bet that there are much more now that cannot play either. I'll never find out because I don't watch DVDs anymore, or the very odd one(s).

Still, nothing last forever, or even for few years in some instances. I don't revisit much my HD DVDs either, but when I do, and if a title doesn't play anymore; it opens my eyes on reality. ...This is all deja vu going back to 1996-97 and even before with Laser Discs and VHS tapes. ...From the 80s.

When 4K Blu-ray will finally be here (later on this year), how long till we discover the rotten disc issue with all our 2K Blu-rays? ...Only time will tell.

* HD DVD was an exciting time period, that's fo sur. ...A giant step towards mankind.
NorthSky is online now  
post #575 of 587 Old 03-16-2015, 07:42 PM
Member
 
eVo7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Ive had several universal releases fail on me, alot more warner though..
eVo7 is offline  
post #576 of 587 Old 03-16-2015, 08:39 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Worf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Posts: 2,045
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Do remember that HD-DVDs are more vulnerable because they use a slightly enhanced DVD pressing process, but the basic equipment is identical, so problems that affect DVD will affect HD-DVD as well. It was a major advantage that the factories could undergo a very minor upgrade to their DVD equipment to produce HD-DVDs.

Blu-Ray uses a completely different process than DVD, and those factories are tightly controlled. However, that doesn't make them immune to specific Blu-Ray manufacturing problems.
Worf is online now  
post #577 of 587 Old 03-17-2015, 02:45 PM
AVS Special Member
 
NorthSky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Canada - West Island: Vancouver, South Direction: Go East
Posts: 9,151
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3829 Post(s)
Liked: 1332
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worf View Post
Do remember that HD-DVDs are more vulnerable because they use a slightly enhanced DVD pressing process, but the basic equipment is identical, so problems that affect DVD will affect HD-DVD as well. It was a major advantage that the factories could undergo a very minor upgrade to their DVD equipment to produce HD-DVDs.

Blu-Ray uses a completely different process than DVD, and those factories are tightly controlled. However, that doesn't make them immune to specific Blu-Ray manufacturing problems.
Very true what you just said. ...And some Blu-ray titles (DVDs too) from the Criterion Collection have also the "rotten disc" issue.
...Bad manufacturing plants with no QC. ...That leads to bad batches and more. ...All in order to save a buck; and us the customers we suffer by paying the price...for a defective, unplayable product.

It hurts when you pay over $30 for a movie or on DVD, or on HD DVD, or on Blu-ray, and that you have them unplayable after a certain time.
It adds up, a lot...into frustration and disenchantment towards the studios with their manufacturing plants. ...It's expensive too, very much, for us.

Anyway, I believe that they should replace all defective discs; all the studios...Universal, Warner Bros, Criterion Collection, FOX, Lionsgate, Paramount, Columbia, Disney, ...for all physical disc software, all mediums.
Their willingness and commitment to do so shows their responsibility and integrity in supporting their customers who first support them.
This is simply good business practice. ...And it pays off on both sides (product manufacturers and customers).

Have a lovely day everyone.
NorthSky is online now  
post #578 of 587 Old 03-17-2015, 03:24 PM
Advanced Member
 
snowghost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: SoCal
Posts: 736
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthSky View Post
Universal studios, in the era of DVDs, they had several discs with the "rotten disc" issue. ...The glue between the two layers (DVD 9) wasn't holding up.
I lost a bunch of good movie titles, and I bet that there are much more now that cannot play either. I'll never find out because I don't watch DVDs anymore, or the very odd one(s).

Still, nothing last forever, or even for few years in some instances. I don't revisit much my HD DVDs either, but when I do, and if a title doesn't play anymore; it opens my eyes on reality. ...This is all deja vu going back to 1996-97 and even before with Laser Discs and VHS tapes. ...From the 80s.

When 4K Blu-ray will finally be here (later on this year), how long till we discover the rotten disc issue with all our 2K Blu-rays? ...Only time will tell.

* HD DVD was an exciting time period, that's fo sur. ...A giant step towards mankind.
Yes it was exciting. I jumped on both band wagons. But come on, a brand new unopened copy of "Casablanca" not playing from the get-go????? I have a ton of unopened ones I don't want to open, to avoid major disappointment.

"The best long distance runners eat raw meat, run naked and sleep in the snow."
snowghost is offline  
post #579 of 587 Old 03-17-2015, 08:43 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Worf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Posts: 2,045
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Yeah, I had both - got myself an HD-a1 and a ps3, and somehow the Blu-Ray never quite matched the HD-DVD.
Worf is online now  
post #580 of 587 Old 03-17-2015, 10:13 PM
AVS Special Member
 
NorthSky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Canada - West Island: Vancouver, South Direction: Go East
Posts: 9,151
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3829 Post(s)
Liked: 1332
...Only now, that they seem to catch up, with 4K Blu-ray. ...Too bad though that Disney gave up on 3D, here in our own country.
NorthSky is online now  
post #581 of 587 Old 03-17-2015, 11:09 PM
Advanced Member
 
Rich86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: USA - California
Posts: 870
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthSky View Post
Anyway, I believe that they should replace all defective discs; all the studios...Universal, Warner Bros, Criterion Collection, FOX, Lionsgate, Paramount, Columbia, Disney, ...for all physical disc software, all mediums.
Their willingness and commitment to do so shows their responsibility and integrity in supporting their customers who first support them.
This is simply good business practice. ...And it pays off on both sides (product manufacturers and customers).

Have a lovely day everyone.
I am happy to report that I have had very good results getting studios to replace defective DVD, HD-DVD & BD media, even after extended periods of time. Laser Discs with laser rot were a whole different issue. Columbia was the biggest problem and they did not care and simply blew everyone off.

A long-time audio/video addict!
Rich86 is online now  
post #582 of 587 Old Yesterday, 12:07 PM
AVS Special Member
 
NorthSky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Canada - West Island: Vancouver, South Direction: Go East
Posts: 9,151
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3829 Post(s)
Liked: 1332
This augurs well Rich; people can contact the studios (WB, Universal, ...) from who they have defective (rotten disc) HD DVDs, and see if they would accommodate them.
* Columbia never got with HD DVD, I don't know why.
NorthSky is online now  
post #583 of 587 Old Yesterday, 04:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
scowl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 10,579
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 37
I've just bought Blu-ray replacements for my failed HD-DVDs. They're a measly $10-$20 and sometimes even less than $10. That's a small price to pay for not spending time on the phone hoping I'll get someone willing to send me a free replacement.

NOW: my post on AVS Forum.
NEXT: someone else's post on AVS Forum.
scowl is offline  
post #584 of 587 Old Yesterday, 08:40 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Worf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Posts: 2,045
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by scowl View Post
I've just bought Blu-ray replacements for my failed HD-DVDs. They're a measly $10-$20 and sometimes even less than $10. That's a small price to pay for not spending time on the phone hoping I'll get someone willing to send me a free replacement.
Depends. The Blu-Ray versions of catalog movies can often be a lot worse (e.g. Apollo 13) than the HD-DVD. If you're lucky, there's a more recent reissue where they fix the problems with the original Blu-ray.

Still kinda silly how bad early Blu-rays were that they needed to reissue them years later.
Worf is online now  
post #585 of 587 Old Today, 01:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
scowl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 10,579
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worf View Post
Depends. The Blu-Ray versions of catalog movies can often be a lot worse (e.g. Apollo 13) than the HD-DVD.
I didn't see anything wrong with the Blu-ray of Apollo 13.

NOW: my post on AVS Forum.
NEXT: someone else's post on AVS Forum.
scowl is offline  
post #586 of 587 Unread Today, 09:09 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Worf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Posts: 2,045
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Unless it was remastered recently, the 2010 edition had a few issues, including overuse of digital noise reduction, posterization and general... blurriness.

This AVS thread shows a side by side comparison. It's really quite shocking how bad it turned out.

Apollo 13 comparison *PIX*
Worf is online now  
post #587 of 587 Unread Today, 11:11 PM
Advanced Member
 
Rich86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: USA - California
Posts: 870
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by scowl View Post
I've just bought Blu-ray replacements for my failed HD-DVDs. They're a measly $10-$20 and sometimes even less than $10. That's a small price to pay for not spending time on the phone hoping I'll get someone willing to send me a free replacement.
If you only had a small number, that's fine. I've had over a dozen replaced, mostly by Warner. I decided they had a responsibility to take care the problem . . and fortunately they agreed. All it took was a phone call to the right person (and I know who that is . . )

A long-time audio/video addict!
Rich86 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply HD DVD Software

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off