Having VERY bad luck with Warner HD-DVDs! - Page 21 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 6Likes

post #601 of 620 Old 04-06-2015, 01:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthSky View Post
See.
Sorry, I don't see anything.

NOW: my post on AVS Forum.
NEXT: someone else's post on AVS Forum.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #602 of 620 Old 04-06-2015, 04:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Location: Canada - West Island: Vancouver, South Direction: Go East, dts:x Films: Under the Skin, 3D, Birdman, X_Machina, The Zero Theorem, Interstellar
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 4902 Post(s)
Liked: 2026
Quote:
Originally Posted by scowl View Post
Yes, I've gone through all of them over the past year, mostly by starting discs before I go to bed and seeing if the player got stuck the next morning. I've had several fail but they were all Warner discs. I haven't had a single disc fail from any other studio. That implies to me that Warner made defective discs.

I've also not had any problems with combo discs (at least the HD-DVD sides) but apparently everyone else had nothing but problems with them. Maybe I have a tip-top player.
Quote:
Originally Posted by scowl View Post
Sorry, I don't see anything.
One movie studio (WB) failure is good enough to situate you in the average member of this thread; like most of us you too have some defective HD DVD discs. ...Rotten disc issue or other.

Other members, like I, we have other issues from other movie studios, in addition to some of WB HD DVD titles.
No one is a winner; we all lost money because of it. ...And some people, like I because of a large collection of HD DVD titles, more than others ($).

That is all what I truly meant; no more no less.

Last edited by NorthSky; 04-06-2015 at 04:59 PM.
post #603 of 620 Old 04-06-2015, 06:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 2375
Yeah, the whole failure aspect of HDDVD discs sucks. I'm sure I have a post earlier in this thread where I had not experienced this and questioned if this was a valid concept. Since then I too have experienced disc failures on both my HDA2 and on an XBox drive. Thankfully my investment was never that great into HDDVD, though I still love the concept and think it was the better of the two implementations at the time HDDVD folded. I do believe that if it had gone forward, the bad discs would have only been a glitch that was easily solved and one that the studios would have gladly compensated consumers for. I haven't tried to get replacement BDs for my defective discs, though don't know if it's even worth it at this point.

"Dave, this conversation can serve no purpose anymore. Goodbye."
post #604 of 620 Old 04-06-2015, 08:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 55
What about DVDs from that era? Remember, HD-DVDs were pressed on basically the same equipment as DVDs. Blu-rays require new equipment which is why they have to include a separate disc in the combo versions, and the data layer is at the very bottom, which is why all Blu rays have a scratch resistant coating - wear that off and the Blu Ray disc dies as well.
post #605 of 620 Old 04-06-2015, 09:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Location: Canada - West Island: Vancouver, South Direction: Go East, dts:x Films: Under the Skin, 3D, Birdman, X_Machina, The Zero Theorem, Interstellar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worf View Post
What about DVDs from that era? Remember, HD-DVDs were pressed on basically the same equipment as DVDs. Blu-rays require new equipment which is why they have to include a separate disc in the combo versions, and the data layer is at the very bottom, which is why all Blu rays have a scratch resistant coating - wear that off and the Blu Ray disc dies as well.
The same; I lost a bunch of DVDs, mainly from Universal Studios, and some too from the Criterion Collection, due to the rotten disc issue, and bad glue (DVD9). But because I don't watch DVDs anymore I don't know the full damage extent. ...I own over 5,000 DVD titles.

My old Blu-rays, circa 2006-07 fair much better than my HD DVDs and DVDs. And they are more recent of course.
And true too, Blu-rays are built better, stronger, with that anti-resistant/scratch layer.

Remember the first CDs with pin holes? ...And other manufacturing defects (un-centered holes, rough edges, discoloration, etc.). ...Also, some CD-Rs are better quality build (Maxell Music Pro, with extra layers). ...Some CD-Rs are really poorly built.
Some LPs are light as a feather and they bend like a boomerang. ...Cheap, real cheap.

Commercial CDs from the 80s (and 90s too), many of them they sound very bad. ...So bad actually that they are extremely painful; simply better to just toss them out (garbage bin). LPs from the 60s and 70s are much better, in most general, as compared to CDs of the 80s.

Today everybody is streaming from a music/movie server, or from Netflix. ...Or they buy hi-res music downloads.

It is quite a different world the one we live in now as compared to the one from the 50s and 60s (and even before, in the time of my parents; 30s and 40s with 78s).

And one hundred years from now; can you just imagine! ...WoW. ...Everything will be lift up in the air. ...We might start a new colony on another planet.
And music will play freely simply voice-activated. ...It won't be anymore a music business industry. ...That's what I think.

Last edited by NorthSky; 04-06-2015 at 09:33 PM.
post #606 of 620 Old 04-18-2015, 07:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 504
...Jesse James...

HD DVD bit the dust...

Only have 6, or so left, gonna call WB...
post #607 of 620 Old 04-25-2015, 10:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 40
I just watched Tremors (Universal) - no problems.

Go Duke !
post #608 of 620 Old 04-27-2015, 10:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackman View Post
I just watched Tremors (Universal) - no problems.
And The Mummy too! Yay Universal!

Go Duke !
post #609 of 620 Old 04-27-2015, 11:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

This thread is about having bad luck with your HD DVDs from Warner, not good luck with your Universal ones.
post #610 of 620 Old 05-07-2015, 06:35 AM
CIH USER

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked: 600
Quote:
See.

* Btw, I own 400+ HD DVD titles in my collection. ...Now less (defective ones).
I still have the Matrix Collection on HD DVD at the moment. Unfortunately my HD DVD player is in storage collecting dust.

Frank
post #611 of 620 Old 05-07-2015, 04:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post
I still have the Matrix Collection on HD DVD at the moment. Unfortunately my HD DVD player is in storage collecting dust.
Frank, I have the first Complete Matrix trilogy on HD DVD, and also the Ultimate Matrix Collection, with the Animatrix, also on HD DVD.
But furthermore, I also have the Complete Ultimate Matrix Collection on Blu-ray.

So, instead of getting your HD DVD player from your storage, simply get the Matrix Ultimate trilogy on Blu-ray. ...Voila.

♦ It's not about our older "possessions" from the past, but about the new ones from today. ...Life is just too short anyway.
And it's not about "having" but about "being". ...That's what we humans forget all the time.
HD DVD was, Blu-ray is, UHD Blu-ray (4K) will be.
post #612 of 620 Old 05-10-2015, 07:06 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
♦ It's not about our older "possessions" from the past, but about the new ones from today. ...Life is just too short anyway.
And it's not about "having" but about "being". ...That's what we humans forget all the time.
HD DVD was, Blu-ray is, UHD Blu-ray (4K) will be.
You are quite the philosopher aren't you.
I agree btw..

I also agree with you that "HD DVD was, Blu-ray is, UHD Blu-ray (4K) will be"

I was just browsing around the forum looking for HD-DVD information and came across this thread is all.

Changing the subject, for phun, I happen to click on your The Philosopher's Stone link thinking I was going to see something about esoteric philosophy, and ended up watching that video it brought me to...well I don't know what to say about that video and so I won't say anything.
post #613 of 620 Old 05-10-2015, 10:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by endeavor View Post
You are quite the philosopher aren't you.
I agree btw..
I also agree with you that "HD DVD was, Blu-ray is, UHD Blu-ray (4K) will be"
I was just browsing around the forum looking for HD-DVD information and came across this thread is all.
Changing the subject, for phun, I happen to click on your The Philosopher's Stone link thinking I was going to see something about esoteric philosophy, and ended up watching that video it brought me to...well I don't know what to say about that video and so I won't say anything.
♦ It's from a quote in the film 'Lucy', directed by Luc Besson. ... "We humans are more concerned with having than with being." - Morgan Freeman
http://pop-verse.com/2014/08/25/lucy...an-with-being/

The Philosopher's Stone is a Van Morrison album's title.
And Van uses many references in some of his songs of various albums: "And it stoned me to my soul" /// I am a huge Van's fan, have all his albums.

♠ The music video in my sig is simply a video that I like. ...Black & white, funny characters, funny tune, just some' different, that's all.
Means nothing, nothing @ all ... tomorrow I might put a Classical music one...which is truly my favorite music genre, above all the others.
♪ The second link in my sig is more reflective of who I am, deeper down inside: www.audaud.com

Last edited by NorthSky; 05-10-2015 at 11:11 AM. Reason: Link
post #614 of 620 Old 05-10-2015, 02:18 PM

You know what DVD movie the wife brought home yesterday that we watched last night, Lucy!
How's that for coincidence!
I don't remember that quote though, but loved the movie. I'll catch the quote next time we watch it though - I really liked the movie concept.
Also one of my wifes (and mine) favorite all time albums by Van Morrison back when we first met, is the one with the song 'Enlightenment' and 'It's So Quiet In Here'... etc The album name escapes me at the moment but I could walk to the other room and read it off the CD.

Oh and the video link I commented on from your post was actually well done in a technical sense, I didn't mean to leave a negative impression; boy though it is different and that's fine. I understand you rotate links and sayings on your posts. I wasn't making fun or anything, just talking..
Anyway, my post was of the positive, and saying hello,

have a good night!
post #615 of 620 Old 05-10-2015, 07:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I took your post's comment very positively, right from the get-go. ...Don't worry for a single drop of rain.
I just wanted to explain exactly what they meant (the links and the words), because you were curious by mentioning it (nobody usually cares; you're only the second person commenting, in almost a year).

As for the film Lucy ... it grows on you with repeated viewings; you can enter Luc Besson's state-of-mind. ...And it's great ride, philosophically humane.

♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥

______

endeavor likes this.

Last edited by NorthSky; 05-10-2015 at 07:38 PM. Reason: tube
post #616 of 620 Old 05-12-2015, 02:43 PM

Quote:
I took your post's comment very positively, right from the get-go. ...Don't worry for a single drop of rain.
I just wanted to explain exactly what they meant (the links and the words), because you were curious by mentioning it (nobody usually cares; you're only the second person commenting, in almost a year).

As for the film Lucy ... it grows on you with repeated viewings; you can enter Luc Besson's state-of-mind. ...And it's great ride, philosophically humane.

♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥
Good Afternoon!
Yes Enlightenment was the name of the album, exactly, and of course it was, duh! ...thank you for the reply and reminder.

I've pondered the meaning of that word as long as Van Morrison has actually; have gone though all manner of seekings of it, and it has been quite a wonderful and remarkable ride - amazing actually, and have learned so much, but at the same time have always remained open to learn more.

Neat, you posted a video to It's So Quiet In Here... boy, that almost doesn't sound quite like the original, but of course it's 30 years later. It's almost doesn't look like him either being 30 years older, LoL, and that said neither do I look the same as I did back then either. Great to see it though!

I had long ago ripped that CD to mp3's on my computers and so after the video, have been playing the album in the background as I was working with AVS stuff this afternoon after reading your post, and so wanted to give a great honorable mention to his other Great songs we know as "Dweller On The Threshold" & of course "Into the Mystic" ...good stuff, thanks
post #617 of 620 Old 05-12-2015, 05:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

post #618 of 620 Old 06-08-2015, 03:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anyone have a good WB contact regarding swapping media that no longer seems to function properly? Quite a few of my WB titles seem to be going south (tried multiple HD-DVD Players with no luck...) Just thought I would start here vs just hitting the generic customer service page I have found so far... -pd
post #619 of 620 Old 06-08-2015, 03:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 41
an old post in this thread:

I contacted the Warner Burbank office asking for help:

Warner Home Video
4000 Warner Blvd
Burbank, CA 91522
(818) 954-6000 - this is NOT a toll free number.

I called them on the phone, explained my problem and asked for whatever help they could offer. They transferred me to the right place/person, who asked a few questions and agreed to help and sent me a prepaid UPS mailer. I packaged up and sent in my titles free of charge along with a cover letter indicating where these were purchased (they asked for either receipts or where purchased). They sent me blu-ray replacements.
endeavor likes this.

A long-time audio/video addict!

Last edited by Rich86; 06-08-2015 at 04:40 PM.
post #620 of 620 Old 06-08-2015, 04:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich86 View Post
an old post in this thread:

I contacted the Warner Burbank office asking for help:

Warner Home Video
4000 Warner Blvd
Burbank, CA 91522
[IMG]resource://skype_ff_extension-at-jetpack/skype_ff_extension/data/call_skype_logo.png[/IMG](818) 954-6000 - this is NOT a toll free number.

I called them on the phone, explained my problem and asked for whatever help they could offer. They transferred me to the right place/person, who asked a few questions and agreed to help and sent me a prepaid UPS mailer. I packaged up and sent in my titles free of charge along with a cover letter indicating where these were purchased (they asked for either receipts or where purchased). They sent me blu-ray replacements.
That's very cool.
endeavor likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HD DVD Software