Having VERY bad luck with Warner HD-DVDs! - Page 22 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 10Likes

post #631 of 651 Old 05-21-2016, 11:23 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I have 2 Toshiba A2s and I've been lucky so far, no probs with any HD DVDs. Even the WBs all play fine.

Last edited by Otter0911; 05-21-2016 at 02:37 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 651 Old 10-15-2016, 01:56 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I started to check my HD DVD collection and already found 15 faulty discs
post #633 of 651 Old 10-17-2016, 10:09 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I already found more than 30 rotten discs. My heart bleeds

post #634 of 651 Old 10-18-2016, 05:16 AM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by logodaddy View Post
I already found more than 30 rotten discs. My heart bleeds
I checked four discs and three were bad so I stopped rather than cause myself more pain.
post #635 of 651 Old 10-18-2016, 06:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Liked: 374
I officially retired my HD-DVD player about a month ago. I originally had about ~40 titles which I slowly transitioned to my blu-ray library over the past 8+ years
post #636 of 651 Old 12-05-2016, 04:56 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 2068 Post(s)
Liked: 1771
Quote:
Originally Posted by tezster View Post
I officially retired my HD-DVD player about a month ago. I originally had about ~40 titles which I slowly transitioned to my blu-ray library over the past 8+ years
I'd love to retire my HD-DVD player. But I have sooo many HD DVD movies and it would still be very expensive to replace them with Blu-Rays.
post #637 of 651 Old 12-05-2016, 06:37 PM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness View Post
I'd love to retire my HD-DVD player. But I have sooo many HD DVD movies and it would still be very expensive to replace them with Blu-Rays.
But how many of your discs still play?
post #638 of 651 Old 12-05-2016, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary16 View Post
But how many of your discs still play?
So far most of them. But the disc error is a problem on enough of them that I'd love to ditch HDDVD.
But, as I said, I have too many working discs to replace at this point.

I'm trying to watch all my HD DVDs (because I never did get through them all) so I can decide how many I can get rid of.
post #639 of 651 Old 12-19-2016, 05:52 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've been going through my HD DVD collection lately, backing them up to a hard drive using MakeMKV, and I too am having major issues with HD DVD's from Warner. A few years back I already noticed that some of my discs from Blade Runner were not reading correctly, but back then that was still an exception. Now more than 50% of my Warner HD DVD's seem to have disc reading errors. This includes titles that I'm sure worked fine the last time I tried them and have been sitting quietly in their boxes ever since. Discs from every other studio (Universal, Paramount, Studio Canal, etc) all work without a hitch. Ironically the very first (Warner) HD DVD I ever bought still works fine too. I'm ripping them on an LG GGC-H20L and I've yet to try them with my Xbox 360 add-on drive, so maybe I'll have more luck with that. But overall this is a really really disappointing showing from Warner. If these discs don't last even when treated properly, then what's the point of owning physical copies in the first place?
post #640 of 651 Old 02-07-2017, 06:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 53
I guess I'm lucky. I have approximately 110 HD-DVD's, and have only found one bad one. Now, I did rip mine to my NAS at least 5 years ago, so I'm protected. I have been watching a few last week, and the ones I watched were fine. Now, 95% of my discs were bought early, when they were initially released in the format, versus during the fire sales. So, maybe later production runs weren't as good, who knows.
post #641 of 651 Old 02-08-2017, 06:29 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Are Warner Brothers movies from Europe/UK also subject to the same disc rot issues? Many of them have different packaging so i'm wondering if the discs were pressed at a different factory and thus potentially void of the disc rot so many experience in the US.
post #642 of 651 Old 02-10-2017, 12:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked: 915
Yes they are unfortunately
mercennarius likes this.
post #643 of 651 Old 02-12-2017, 05:27 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 16
My Harry Potter Years 1-5 box set failed. I spoke with the woman at WB and got it replaced but she said they wouldn't replace any more.

So I'm not happy to discover that Terminator 3, The Matrix box set, and Blade Runner remastered all failed. And Planet Earth today. Same error code, and I'm not in a position to replace them. Really frustrating. My Blade Runner discs look like the surface of the storage medium is all messed up, while the protective layer is unscratched.

Any suggestions?

Nunc lento sonitu dicunt, morieris.
Now this bell tolling softly for another, says to me, Thou must die.
-John Donne

My Home Theater (QTVR)
"Thirst is worse than homesickness"
post #644 of 651 Old 04-05-2017, 02:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backlash View Post
My Harry Potter Years 1-5 box set failed. I spoke with the woman at WB and got it replaced but she said they wouldn't replace any more.

So I'm not happy to discover that Terminator 3, The Matrix box set, and Blade Runner remastered all failed. And Planet Earth today. Same error code, and I'm not in a position to replace them. Really frustrating. My Blade Runner discs look like the surface of the storage medium is all messed up, while the protective layer is unscratched.

Any suggestions?
Who did you contact at WB? Did you call or email?

I'm in the same boat as many here. Pretty much all my WB HD-DVDs have failed. I'm trying to rip them with MakeMKV but disc rot is stopping me.
post #645 of 651 Old 04-05-2017, 06:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 813 Post(s)
Liked: 297
I'm going to go thru all of mine again here real soon and re-rip them. I lost most of them when a 3TB drive failed last year. From what I remember then my HP discs were bad except disc 3, Deliverance (2 copies were bad). Maybe one or two more. Then I had a few titles that would play in HD DVD player but not rip. Overall, most of mine played fine but that's been a few years now.

This line intentionally left blank.
post #646 of 651 Old 04-17-2017, 10:58 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I am going to have to hook up multiple HD DVD players and start going through movies. I certainly hope that I'm not in the same boat as those that are having so many issues.

Feeling the Purple Power thanks to HD DVD and Blu Ray.
post #647 of 651 Old 04-17-2017, 11:15 AM

I've had numerous failures like others.

This error problem totally sucks. I have a large HD DVD collection and I now would never invite anyone over to watch an HD DVD movie with me as I can't be confident we won't experience the error issue part way through the movie. And it's a bummer when I'm watching a movie alone and it stops working. I plan to finally start watching only my HD DVD movies to get through them and toss the ones that don't work. The problem is it's quite an expensive proposition to replace my HD DVDs with Blu-Rays.

Such is life on the losing end of that war. (Though it didn't have to be this way. If it weren't for the disc rot/failure issue I'd be fine still having HD DVDs even though the format lost, because at least I could still watch them!)
post #648 of 651 Old 04-17-2017, 12:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Well, I guess it's time I started checking my discs. I haven't turned on my HD DVD players in a few years, and luckily my collection isn't huge (probably half have been replaced by blu over the years), but I will still have quite a few that I don't have on blu that are likely bad. Yikes.
post #649 of 651 Old 04-17-2017, 05:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 813 Post(s)
Liked: 297
I've gone thru about 40 so far and re-ripped them. Aside from the ones that were in the bad stack I haven't had any problems. I had one that I hadn't opened yet. Blades of Glory, I removed the plastic and it's a new disc, it gets all the way to the end and then fails. I've got about a dozen that won't rip but they will play in HD DVD drive then there's about a half dozen that won't rip or play other than those they used to play/rip just fine. I've got another 150 plus discs to go though so we'll see. I would say that if they weren't bad before they should still be fine, maybe the players bad or disc is scratched or dirty. I had one that gave me trouble so I cleaned it and then it was fine.

I'm re-ripping this time using 1:1 encoding plus encoding the DD Plus track to Flac 24 bit with an AC3 track at 640kbps. Before I just downmixed to AC3, EAC3 doesn't work in Plex, not sure what's going on there but it doesn't like it. Also, I don't think TrueHD passthru was available last time I encoded so I'm using that now.

This line intentionally left blank.
post #650 of 651 Old 04-28-2017, 09:31 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 2
I've had freezing problems with Blade Runner, Space Cowboys and Cream Live. Not all are WB I'm guessing. but the discs are in pristine condition! Quite a bummer!
post #651 of 651 Old 05-21-2017, 09:22 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I tried to watch Unforgiven today. The opening ads played, but the movie failed to play, going black with some weird digital noise at the top. Special features worked fine, so I used the scene selection menu to jump to near the end of the movie, which played fine. Working my way backwards chapter by chapter from there, I made it to approximately the half way point before it failed to work. Based on that, I'd guess that one layer of the disc has gone bad while the other layer (with the second half of the movie and the special features) is still fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HD DVD Software

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page