Having VERY bad luck with Warner HD-DVDs! - Page 22 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 12Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #631 of 666 Old 05-21-2016, 11:23 AM
Advanced Member
 
Otter0911's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 646
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I have 2 Toshiba A2s and I've been lucky so far, no probs with any HD DVDs. Even the WBs all play fine.

Last edited by Otter0911; 05-21-2016 at 02:37 PM.
Otter0911 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #632 of 666 Old 10-15-2016, 01:56 AM
Newbie
 
logodaddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I started to check my HD DVD collection and already found 15 faulty discs
logodaddy is offline  
post #633 of 666 Old 10-17-2016, 10:09 PM
Newbie
 
logodaddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I already found more than 30 rotten discs. My heart bleeds
logodaddy is offline  
 
post #634 of 666 Old 10-18-2016, 05:16 AM
Senior Member
 
Gary16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Cleveland, Ohio, USA
Posts: 393
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by logodaddy View Post
I already found more than 30 rotten discs. My heart bleeds
I checked four discs and three were bad so I stopped rather than cause myself more pain.
Gary16 is offline  
post #635 of 666 Old 10-18-2016, 06:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
tezster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Mississauga, Canada
Posts: 1,479
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 517 Post(s)
Liked: 400
I officially retired my HD-DVD player about a month ago. I originally had about ~40 titles which I slowly transitioned to my blu-ray library over the past 8+ years
tezster is offline  
post #636 of 666 Old 12-05-2016, 04:56 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
R Harkness's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 14,376
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2128 Post(s)
Liked: 1844
Quote:
Originally Posted by tezster View Post
I officially retired my HD-DVD player about a month ago. I originally had about ~40 titles which I slowly transitioned to my blu-ray library over the past 8+ years
I'd love to retire my HD-DVD player. But I have sooo many HD DVD movies and it would still be very expensive to replace them with Blu-Rays.
R Harkness is online now  
post #637 of 666 Old 12-05-2016, 06:37 PM
Senior Member
 
Gary16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Cleveland, Ohio, USA
Posts: 393
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness View Post
I'd love to retire my HD-DVD player. But I have sooo many HD DVD movies and it would still be very expensive to replace them with Blu-Rays.
But how many of your discs still play?
Gary16 is offline  
post #638 of 666 Old 12-05-2016, 07:02 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
R Harkness's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 14,376
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2128 Post(s)
Liked: 1844
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary16 View Post
But how many of your discs still play?
So far most of them. But the disc error is a problem on enough of them that I'd love to ditch HDDVD.
But, as I said, I have too many working discs to replace at this point.

I'm trying to watch all my HD DVDs (because I never did get through them all) so I can decide how many I can get rid of.
R Harkness is online now  
post #639 of 666 Old 12-19-2016, 05:52 AM
Newbie
 
Devil N's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Utrecht, The Netherlands
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've been going through my HD DVD collection lately, backing them up to a hard drive using MakeMKV, and I too am having major issues with HD DVD's from Warner. A few years back I already noticed that some of my discs from Blade Runner were not reading correctly, but back then that was still an exception. Now more than 50% of my Warner HD DVD's seem to have disc reading errors. This includes titles that I'm sure worked fine the last time I tried them and have been sitting quietly in their boxes ever since. Discs from every other studio (Universal, Paramount, Studio Canal, etc) all work without a hitch. Ironically the very first (Warner) HD DVD I ever bought still works fine too. I'm ripping them on an LG GGC-H20L and I've yet to try them with my Xbox 360 add-on drive, so maybe I'll have more luck with that. But overall this is a really really disappointing showing from Warner. If these discs don't last even when treated properly, then what's the point of owning physical copies in the first place?
Devil N is offline  
post #640 of 666 Old 02-07-2017, 06:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
rr6966's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Posts: 1,288
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 54
I guess I'm lucky. I have approximately 110 HD-DVD's, and have only found one bad one. Now, I did rip mine to my NAS at least 5 years ago, so I'm protected. I have been watching a few last week, and the ones I watched were fine. Now, 95% of my discs were bought early, when they were initially released in the format, versus during the fire sales. So, maybe later production runs weren't as good, who knows.
rr6966 is offline  
post #641 of 666 Old 02-08-2017, 06:29 AM
Senior Member
 
mercennarius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 479
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Are Warner Brothers movies from Europe/UK also subject to the same disc rot issues? Many of them have different packaging so i'm wondering if the discs were pressed at a different factory and thus potentially void of the disc rot so many experience in the US.
mercennarius is offline  
post #642 of 666 Old 02-10-2017, 12:23 AM
Advanced Member
 
Signs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: UK
Posts: 676
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 983
Yes they are unfortunately
mercennarius likes this.
Signs is offline  
post #643 of 666 Old 02-12-2017, 05:27 PM
Senior Member
 
Backlash's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Harpers Ferry, WV
Posts: 483
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 16
My Harry Potter Years 1-5 box set failed. I spoke with the woman at WB and got it replaced but she said they wouldn't replace any more.

So I'm not happy to discover that Terminator 3, The Matrix box set, and Blade Runner remastered all failed. And Planet Earth today. Same error code, and I'm not in a position to replace them. Really frustrating. My Blade Runner discs look like the surface of the storage medium is all messed up, while the protective layer is unscratched.

Any suggestions?

Nunc lento sonitu dicunt, morieris.
Now this bell tolling softly for another, says to me, Thou must die.
-John Donne

My Home Theater (QTVR)
"Thirst is worse than homesickness"
Backlash is offline  
post #644 of 666 Old 04-05-2017, 02:20 PM
Advanced Member
 
fanerman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Berkeley
Posts: 514
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backlash View Post
My Harry Potter Years 1-5 box set failed. I spoke with the woman at WB and got it replaced but she said they wouldn't replace any more.

So I'm not happy to discover that Terminator 3, The Matrix box set, and Blade Runner remastered all failed. And Planet Earth today. Same error code, and I'm not in a position to replace them. Really frustrating. My Blade Runner discs look like the surface of the storage medium is all messed up, while the protective layer is unscratched.

Any suggestions?
Who did you contact at WB? Did you call or email?

I'm in the same boat as many here. Pretty much all my WB HD-DVDs have failed. I'm trying to rip them with MakeMKV but disc rot is stopping me.
fanerman is offline  
post #645 of 666 Old 04-05-2017, 06:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
tomtastic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Wichita, KS
Posts: 2,228
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked: 306
I'm going to go thru all of mine again here real soon and re-rip them. I lost most of them when a 3TB drive failed last year. From what I remember then my HP discs were bad except disc 3, Deliverance (2 copies were bad). Maybe one or two more. Then I had a few titles that would play in HD DVD player but not rip. Overall, most of mine played fine but that's been a few years now.

This line intentionally left blank.
tomtastic is offline  
post #646 of 666 Old 04-17-2017, 10:58 AM
Senior Member
 
Nucleartiger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Irmo
Posts: 352
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I am going to have to hook up multiple HD DVD players and start going through movies. I certainly hope that I'm not in the same boat as those that are having so many issues.

Feeling the Purple Power thanks to HD DVD and Blu Ray.
Nucleartiger is offline  
post #647 of 666 Old 04-17-2017, 11:15 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
R Harkness's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 14,376
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2128 Post(s)
Liked: 1844
I've had numerous failures like others.

This error problem totally sucks. I have a large HD DVD collection and I now would never invite anyone over to watch an HD DVD movie with me as I can't be confident we won't experience the error issue part way through the movie. And it's a bummer when I'm watching a movie alone and it stops working. I plan to finally start watching only my HD DVD movies to get through them and toss the ones that don't work. The problem is it's quite an expensive proposition to replace my HD DVDs with Blu-Rays.

Such is life on the losing end of that war. (Though it didn't have to be this way. If it weren't for the disc rot/failure issue I'd be fine still having HD DVDs even though the format lost, because at least I could still watch them!)
R Harkness is online now  
post #648 of 666 Old 04-17-2017, 12:53 PM
Advanced Member
 
mike1812's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 950
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Well, I guess it's time I started checking my discs. I haven't turned on my HD DVD players in a few years, and luckily my collection isn't huge (probably half have been replaced by blu over the years), but I will still have quite a few that I don't have on blu that are likely bad. Yikes.
mike1812 is offline  
post #649 of 666 Old 04-17-2017, 05:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
tomtastic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Wichita, KS
Posts: 2,228
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked: 306
I've gone thru about 40 so far and re-ripped them. Aside from the ones that were in the bad stack I haven't had any problems. I had one that I hadn't opened yet. Blades of Glory, I removed the plastic and it's a new disc, it gets all the way to the end and then fails. I've got about a dozen that won't rip but they will play in HD DVD drive then there's about a half dozen that won't rip or play other than those they used to play/rip just fine. I've got another 150 plus discs to go though so we'll see. I would say that if they weren't bad before they should still be fine, maybe the players bad or disc is scratched or dirty. I had one that gave me trouble so I cleaned it and then it was fine.

I'm re-ripping this time using 1:1 encoding plus encoding the DD Plus track to Flac 24 bit with an AC3 track at 640kbps. Before I just downmixed to AC3, EAC3 doesn't work in Plex, not sure what's going on there but it doesn't like it. Also, I don't think TrueHD passthru was available last time I encoded so I'm using that now.

This line intentionally left blank.
tomtastic is offline  
post #650 of 666 Old 04-28-2017, 09:31 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 2
I've had freezing problems with Blade Runner, Space Cowboys and Cream Live. Not all are WB I'm guessing. but the discs are in pristine condition! Quite a bummer!
rserafin is offline  
post #651 of 666 Old 05-21-2017, 09:22 PM
Member
 
jabba359's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: North Hollywood, CA U.S.A. Earth
Posts: 26
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I tried to watch Unforgiven today. The opening ads played, but the movie failed to play, going black with some weird digital noise at the top. Special features worked fine, so I used the scene selection menu to jump to near the end of the movie, which played fine. Working my way backwards chapter by chapter from there, I made it to approximately the half way point before it failed to work. Based on that, I'd guess that one layer of the disc has gone bad while the other layer (with the second half of the movie and the special features) is still fine.
jabba359 is offline  
post #652 of 666 Old 08-25-2017, 09:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
tomtastic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Wichita, KS
Posts: 2,228
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked: 306
I've gone thru nearly half my HD DVD collection, re-ripping them. Nearly all are still fine. I did come across a few that won't rip now. Ocean's 11 and 12 won't rip now and they did before and I checked them in the player and they freeze up from time to time. If I can skip past them quick enough the player won't freeze, if not I have to start the disc over and skip past the error then it will play. Freezes up about half a dozen times so I ended up finding a Blu ray set of the first two movies, the third movie was fine. But I will not bother playing the HD DVD's again.

Workprint disc of Blade Runner is bad, but I never checked it before, only the main disc. There are visible scratches on it though so it was probably bad before. I haven't tried playing it, but it won't rip. The other two discs are fine. My Harry Potter set is bad besides Azkaban but I knew that before, I've picked up 1-6 Blu ray for cheap.

Forbidden Planet disc won't rip now and it did before, I haven't tried playing it yet. I think that was all so far and this is out of 90 plus discs, still have over a 100 to go thru, many of them are WB's discs. I think overall, they're holding up. If they were fine before they're still fine, but a few have mysteriously gone bad like Ocean's 11/12 and Forbidden Planet. I do think scratches will ruin these HD DVD's worse than blu rays because they don't have a protective layer so you have to be real careful with them. I plan on keeping mine for backup purposes.

I've noticed some discs, mainly some imports have inferior MPEG2 transfers while there are newer AVC transfers on Blu ray. I picked up Resident Evil on Blu ray just because it has a newer transfer. The MPEG 2 version really doesn't look that great to me. Also Fantastic Four 1/2 are MPEG 2. I would suspect that most imports are just MPEG 2.

This line intentionally left blank.
tomtastic is offline  
post #653 of 666 Old 08-25-2017, 11:40 AM
Senior Member
 
Gary16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Cleveland, Ohio, USA
Posts: 393
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtastic View Post
I've gone thru nearly half my HD DVD collection, re-ripping them. Nearly all are still fine. I did come across a few that won't rip now. Ocean's 11 and 12 won't rip now and they did before and I checked them in the player and they freeze up from time to time. If I can skip past them quick enough the player won't freeze, if not I have to start the disc over and skip past the error then it will play. Freezes up about half a dozen times so I ended up finding a Blu ray set of the first two movies, the third movie was fine. But I will not bother playing the HD DVD's again.

Workprint disc of Blade Runner is bad, but I never checked it before, only the main disc. There are visible scratches on it though so it was probably bad before. I haven't tried playing it, but it won't rip. The other two discs are fine. My Harry Potter set is bad besides Azkaban but I knew that before, I've picked up 1-6 Blu ray for cheap.

Forbidden Planet disc won't rip now and it did before, I haven't tried playing it yet. I think that was all so far and this is out of 90 plus discs, still have over a 100 to go thru, many of them are WB's discs. I think overall, they're holding up. If they were fine before they're still fine, but a few have mysteriously gone bad like Ocean's 11/12 and Forbidden Planet. I do think scratches will ruin these HD DVD's worse than blu rays because they don't have a protective layer so you have to be real careful with them. I plan on keeping mine for backup purposes.

I've noticed some discs, mainly some imports have inferior MPEG2 transfers while there are newer AVC transfers on Blu ray. I picked up Resident Evil on Blu ray just because it has a newer transfer. The MPEG 2 version really doesn't look that great to me. Also Fantastic Four 1/2 are MPEG 2. I would suspect that most imports are just MPEG 2.
FYI my oceans 11 and 12 discs will not even load. Tried two different players. Oceans 13 does load ok.
Gary16 is offline  
post #654 of 666 Old 08-26-2017, 08:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
sivartk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Round Rock, TX
Posts: 5,080
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I'm having worse luck than others when trying to rip with the XBOX HD DVD drive. About 2 out of 5 will fail to rip (We are Marshall couldn't be read at all -- just a no disc in drive message). I'm sure most of them might play, but that will be of little help when all my players die.

At no point in your rambling, incoherent post were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this forum is now dumber for having read it.

My Little Theater
sivartk is offline  
post #655 of 666 Old 08-26-2017, 10:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
tomtastic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Wichita, KS
Posts: 2,228
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked: 306
Quote:
Originally Posted by sivartk View Post
I'm having worse luck than others when trying to rip with the XBOX HD DVD drive. About 2 out of 5 will fail to rip (We are Marshall couldn't be read at all -- just a no disc in drive message). I'm sure most of them might play, but that will be of little help when all my players die.
I tried my Xbox drive on a few discs and it's slower and also doesn't read discs as well as my USB drives. Had some fail in it but worked in USB drive. Was thinking it might work better but it doesn't, actually worse.

This line intentionally left blank.
tomtastic is offline  
post #656 of 666 Old 08-26-2017, 11:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
sivartk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Round Rock, TX
Posts: 5,080
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtastic View Post
I tried my Xbox drive on a few discs and it's slower and also doesn't read discs as well as my USB drives. Had some fail in it but worked in USB drive. Was thinking it might work better but it doesn't, actually worse.
I guess I need to find someone with a USB drive to borrow. I tried to rip Planet Earth today and had unable to read sectors on 4 out of 11 episodes, so my rip (only 7 episodes), needless to say, is very incomplete.

At no point in your rambling, incoherent post were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this forum is now dumber for having read it.

My Little Theater
sivartk is offline  
post #657 of 666 Old 09-01-2017, 02:20 AM
Newbie
 
Devil N's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Utrecht, The Netherlands
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
A few weeks ago I too tried ripping a few of my previously established bad HD DVD's using the Xbox drive I still had in storage, hoping that it might be able to read past some of the errors, but it didn't make any difference for me. The bad discs are just as bad as they were with my LG GGC-H20L.
Devil N is offline  
post #658 of 666 Old 09-08-2017, 12:50 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold
 
Mark Booth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Beautiful California
Posts: 1,613
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 68
I took a look at my HD DVDs today and found 4 Warner Titles that have disc rot (clouding):

Blade Runner 5-disc set (3 out of 5 discs have clouding)
Swordfish
Grand Prix
Blazing Saddles

That's the only 4 out of 120 HD DVD titles.

Of course, some of them might look fine but still have disc errors. My copy of 'We are Marshall' had a playback error recently but the disc looks fine. I found a Blu-ray copy for $6.99 and just replaced it.

I've reached out to Warner Bros customer service regarding the others.

Edited to add Blazing Saddles.

Mark
First XBR likes this.

Last edited by Mark Booth; 09-08-2017 at 01:17 PM.
Mark Booth is offline  
post #659 of 666 Old 09-08-2017, 01:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Rich86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: USA - California
Posts: 1,020
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Booth View Post
I took a look at my HD DVDs today and found 3 Warner Titles that have disc rot (clouding):

Blade Runner 5-disc set (3 out of 5 discs have clouding)
Swordfish
Grand Prix

Mark
You might try testing or playing them. I've had discs with cloudy looking areas that play or rip just fine - as well as perfect looking discs that fail.

A long-time audio/video addict!
Rich86 is offline  
post #660 of 666 Old 09-08-2017, 01:19 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold
 
Mark Booth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Beautiful California
Posts: 1,613
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich86 View Post
You might try testing or playing them. I've had discs with cloudy looking areas that play or rip just fine - as well as perfect looking discs that fail.
Blade Runner won't play (won't even load). That's the one I'm primarily interested in getting replaced by WB.

I tried Swordfish too and it loads fine but gives a disc error about 20 minutes in.

Mark
Mark Booth is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply HD DVD Software

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off