Having VERY bad luck with Warner HD-DVDs! - Page 23 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 12Likes

post #661 of 666 Old 09-08-2017, 08:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Booth View Post
I took a look at my HD DVDs today and found 4 Warner Titles that have disc rot (clouding):

Blade Runner 5-disc set (3 out of 5 discs have clouding)
Swordfish
Grand Prix
Blazing Saddles

That's the only 4 out of 120 HD DVD titles.

Of course, some of them might look fine but still have disc errors. My copy of 'We are Marshall' had a playback error recently but the disc looks fine. I found a Blu-ray copy for $6.99 and just replaced it.

I've reached out to Warner Bros customer service regarding the others.

Edited to add Blazing Saddles.

Mark
I'm curious to hear what Warner has to say, as I'm sure others would be too. I thought about doing the same thing in reaching out to them, although I wasn't expecting anything from them, more hoping for a response at least.

I doubt a replacement HD DVD would be offered (if anything) but maybe its equivalent in Blu?

Its too bad Blade Runner and Forbidden Planet (one of my bad titles) weren't part of the Red to Blu promotion, or DVD to Blu, but honestly I wasn't going to swap my HD DVDs for Blu-rays anyway (I did however replace a lot of DVDs under that promotion, if I didn't have it on HD DVD already).

I did not realize at the time that there was an issue with Warner discs, but I had Constantine and Willie Wonka and the Chocolate Factory fail to play, so I guess those were my two first Warner discs to go bad. I replaced the Constantine under the DVD to Blu promotion (had it on DVD as well) and bought the Willie Wonka 40th anniversary blu-ray.

Having just purchased the LG 86UH9500 set, I finally hooked my HD-XA2 player back up and I have to say I miss my HD DVDs! I plan on leaving it connected as the picture looks fantastic on this set.

That being said I am going through all my Warner movies based on this thread, and will update my list as I go along. I tested them only on my HD-XA2 and my LG BH200, and as of today:

Bad (408bc509 Error Code)

Blade Runner The Final Cut disc 1
Forbidden Planet

Bad (unknown if error given - I believe I tossed the discs)

Constantine
Willie Wonka and the Chocolate Factory

Good

300 HD & DVD combo
A Christmas Story
A Clockwork Orange
Blazing Saddles
Blood Diamond
Caddyshack
The Prestige (import)

Not happy with Blade Runner or Forbidden Planet - both were the collectors editions - Blade Runner in the Voight-Kampff case and Forbidden Planet in the metal tin. Neither disc shows any physical signs of damage, you wouldn't be able to tell the difference between them and the ones that play. Not a surface issue either, my discs are pretty much mint condition, but just to be sure I tried the old dip the disc in boiling water trick, but it made no difference.

Last edited by TMOSteel; 09-08-2017 at 08:48 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #662 of 666 Old 09-08-2017, 09:18 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 2130 Post(s)
Liked: 1844
My issue with the HD DVD problems is that it's just pervasive enough that it's a crap shoot if I will make it through a movie. At this point I would never plan a movie watching event, e.g. inviting someone over, around watching an HD DVD because of the chances we'll get part way through only to encounter the disc error.
That and I still have way to many HD DVDs to be able to afford to replace them easily with Blu-Rays.
post #663 of 666 Old 09-11-2017, 03:02 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Just got off the phone with a Warner Home Video rep. They will only replace a SINGLE HD DVD title with the Blu-ray version. I wanted that to be the Blade Runner 5-disc set but that is no longer available and she wouldn't replace it with the smaller standard Blu-ray set either. So, I guess I'll end up buying the 4K Blu-ray version.

I chose to have 'Grand Prix' be my replacement title because it's the most expensive one of the ones I'd like to replace at this time.

Mark

post #664 of 666 Old 09-11-2017, 09:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Booth View Post
Just got off the phone with a Warner Home Video rep. They will only replace a SINGLE HD DVD title with the Blu-ray version. I wanted that to be the Blade Runner 5-disc set but that is no longer available and she wouldn't replace it with the smaller standard Blu-ray set either. So, I guess I'll end up buying the 4K Blu-ray version.

I chose to have 'Grand Prix' be my replacement title because it's the most expensive one of the ones I'd like to replace at this time.

Mark
They used to be far more supportive of their customers who got stuck with shoddy HD-DVDs due to their lack of quality control over their contracted manufacturing firm. They replaced a fairly large number of defective HD-DVDs for me, but I have read previously that Warner is done replacing their garbage HD-DVDs.

A long-time audio/video addict!
post #665 of 666 Old 09-29-2017, 09:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich86 View Post
They used to be far more supportive of their customers who got stuck with shoddy HD-DVDs due to their lack of quality control over their contracted manufacturing firm. They replaced a fairly large number of defective HD-DVDs for me, but I have read previously that Warner is done replacing their garbage HD-DVDs.
I'm sure if someone got a class action going against them they'd sing a different tune. I suppose you could take them to small claims over it because you'd probably win a default judgement.
post #666 of 666 Old 10-08-2017, 10:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMOSteel View Post
I'm curious to hear what Warner has to say, as I'm sure others would be too. I thought about doing the same thing in reaching out to them, although I wasn't expecting anything from them, more hoping for a response at least.

I doubt a replacement HD DVD would be offered (if anything) but maybe its equivalent in Blu?

Its too bad Blade Runner and Forbidden Planet (one of my bad titles) weren't part of the Red to Blu promotion, or DVD to Blu, but honestly I wasn't going to swap my HD DVDs for Blu-rays anyway (I did however replace a lot of DVDs under that promotion, if I didn't have it on HD DVD already).

I did not realize at the time that there was an issue with Warner discs, but I had Constantine and Willie Wonka and the Chocolate Factory fail to play, so I guess those were my two first Warner discs to go bad. I replaced the Constantine under the DVD to Blu promotion (had it on DVD as well) and bought the Willie Wonka 40th anniversary blu-ray.

Having just purchased the LG 86UH9500 set, I finally hooked my HD-XA2 player back up and I have to say I miss my HD DVDs! I plan on leaving it connected as the picture looks fantastic on this set.

That being said I am going through all my Warner movies based on this thread, and will update my list as I go along. I tested them only on my HD-XA2 and my LG BH200, and as of today:

Bad (408bc509 Error Code)

Blade Runner The Final Cut disc 1
Forbidden Planet

Bad (unknown if error given - I believe I tossed the discs)

Constantine
Willie Wonka and the Chocolate Factory

Good

300 HD & DVD combo
A Christmas Story
A Clockwork Orange
Blazing Saddles
Blood Diamond
Caddyshack
The Prestige (import)

Not happy with Blade Runner or Forbidden Planet - both were the collectors editions - Blade Runner in the Voight-Kampff case and Forbidden Planet in the metal tin. Neither disc shows any physical signs of damage, you wouldn't be able to tell the difference between them and the ones that play. Not a surface issue either, my discs are pretty much mint condition, but just to be sure I tried the old dip the disc in boiling water trick, but it made no difference.
I'm having similar issues. I was looking forward to watching The Final Cut in preparation for going to the new Blade Runner, so Friday night I popped in my HD DVD (from the 5 disc set--not the special case though). About 15 mins. in, the dreaded (408bc509 Error Code) makes its appearance (as it does with nearly every Warner disc I try). So far, I've not had any problems with non-Warner discs. However, as well over half my 150+ HD DVDs are Warner (including Planet Earth, 5-disc Blade Runner, Matrix box set, Ocean's 11,12,13, first 5 Harry Potters, Batman Begins), I'm not especially happy at having to replace them. I've replaced Planet Earth and the first Potter (they failed on "family viewing night") and, because it was only 7$, I got the iTunes version of Final Cut so I could finish watching it. I won't replace all the failures--some I only bought at 1-2$ clearance prices and would otherwise not bothered. Still damned annoying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness View Post
My issue with the HD DVD problems is that it's just pervasive enough that it's a crap shoot if I will make it through a movie. At this point I would never plan a movie watching event, e.g. inviting someone over, around watching an HD DVD because of the chances we'll get part way through only to encounter the disc error.
That and I still have way to many HD DVDs to be able to afford to replace them easily with Blu-Rays.
Same here. Lots to replace (if I choose to) and I only watch HD DVDs by myself--because who needs to make friends and family feel that kind of frustration?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HD DVD Software

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page