Point Me to Converting Please - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 35 Old 08-17-2011, 02:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 111
I'm sure there is a thread about converting my HD-DVD movies to Blu-Ray somewhere in the forum, but I don't know what keywords to search for.

I have about a dozen HD-DVD titles and am getting my first Blu-Ray burner soon. I have an HD-DVD player, but not enough HDMI inputs. Besides, I would like to bring the films over my parents place and watch them there, and they don't have an HD-DVD player.

I know you can copy the main feature and burn it to Blu-Ray. I'm guessing this was a popular subject when they threw in the HD-DVD towel, so the threads may be burried by now.

I searched for "convert" and HD-DVD, but got too many hits (and none seemed relevent).

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 Old 08-17-2011, 02:26 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Get your parents a HD DVD player for about 20 bucks and you can watch your HD DVDs on their house.

I know, it's not the answer you wanted to hear but it will save you money and muuuuch time!
post #3 of 35 Old 08-17-2011, 04:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks. I would still like to find posts regarding the subject I mentioned, if anyone knows where they are.
post #4 of 35 Old 08-17-2011, 04:54 PM

Liked: 10
Look under the HD DVD Players thread - there is information there. I have posted info there and would be available (thru private messaging) to help.

Cheers.
post #5 of 35 Old 08-18-2011, 09:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Unless you need a new (and expensive) hobby, is this REALLY worth it for 12 HD-DVDs?

- Buy and install an HD-DVD reader to your PC
- Buy and install (or acquire arcane skills) to defeat DRM on your HD-DVDs
- Acquire programs & know-how to rip and rework the HD DVD movies
- Maybe new HDDs to store the many-gigabyte files of HD movies
- Burn to a disc & format that will work on your parents' BD player

A lot easier & cheaper to rent the movies on BD, or carry your HD DVD player over there.
post #6 of 35 Old 08-18-2011, 10:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laserfan View Post

Unless you need a new (and expensive) hobby, is this REALLY worth it for 12 HD-DVDs?

- Buy and install an HD-DVD reader to your PC
- Buy and install (or acquire arcane skills) to defeat DRM on your HD-DVDs
- Acquire programs & know-how to rip and rework the HD DVD movies
- Maybe new HDDs to store the many-gigabyte files of HD movies
- Burn to a disc & format that will work on your parents' BD player

A lot easier & cheaper to rent the movies on BD, or carry your HD DVD player over there.

One additional consideration is that we are finding that HD DVD's from Warner Brothers are experiencing some kind of progressive failure. I am currently unable to completely load Forbidden Planet or Ocean's 13 from my XBOX 360 drive connected to my PC. It is possible with completely free software to convert these HD DVD's that still load to blu-ray discs. If you have a blu-ray burner anyway (and the price has gotten pretty reasonable), and don't mind the time you can get the job done and have backups of all your HD DVD's.

Only need two pieces of software: DumpHD and ClownBD. Then something to burn the result to BD-R or BD-RE.
post #7 of 35 Old 08-18-2011, 10:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the tips. At my age I guess I can figure out if it's worth it to me to invest in learning Blu-Ray authoring.

I didn't go into complete detail about my plans, because it wasn't relevent to my original question.

I also hope to author some HD recordings to Blu-Ray, but those questions are for another thread.

As far as the cost:

Just bought an Xbox 360 USB HD-DVD drive for $30.
LG Blu-Ray burner for$70
Blu-Ray discs for $1/ea. (similar in cost to DVD dual layer).

Learning something new: Priceless.

Hey iontyre, so DumpHD for decrypting the HD-DVD's , and Clown to "Re-author" the main movie to Blu-Ray??
post #8 of 35 Old 08-19-2011, 03:41 AM
AVS Special Member

post #9 of 35 Old 08-19-2011, 09:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Still waiting on the Xbox USB drive, but I downloaded Dump and I have no clue how to use it! No instructions at all.

I gather that it is to be run from the command line (no GUI?), but how to get it running and how to use it to decrypt I have no clue.

DVDFab has something called Passkey that is also supposed to decrypt HD-DVD's, and at least has a GUI. Still no instructions, but hopefully I can figure it out from the GUI.

Edit: Whoops. You have to double click on DumpHD.jar to get to the GUI. Hadn't seen that mentioned. Figured out the aacskeys failed error.
Getting a BVDM error, but maybe that has to do with Blu-Ray?
post #10 of 35 Old 08-19-2011, 11:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebo View Post

Still waiting on the Xbox USB drive, but I downloaded Dump and I have no clue how to use it! No instructions at all.

I gather that it is to be run from the command line (no GUI?), but how to get it running and how to use it to decrypt I have no clue.

DVDFab has something called Passkey that is also supposed to decrypt HD-DVD's, and at least has a GUI. Still no instructions, but hopefully I can figure it out from the GUI.

Edit: Whoops. You have to double click on DumpHD.jar to get to the GUI. Hadn't seen that mentioned. Figured out the aacskeys failed error.
Getting a BVDM error, but maybe that has to do with Blu-Ray?

DumpHD is a bit weird to setup. I use DumpHD.cmd to start it, but that requires you download and install the JAVA SDK, not just the runtime, so that it uses the server version of the JIT compiler. It's a good idea to do so, because the server version of JIT is much faster. It is in the documentation somewhere. DumpHD.cmd will also startup the GUI for you.

I think I did have to download an updated aacskeys package somewhere, not sure though, its been a while since I installed this.

Be careful if you decide to go the commercial package route instead ... I'm not sure the latest releases support HD DVD anymore. The entire industry seems hell bent on pretending those red cased discs never existed...
post #11 of 35 Old 08-19-2011, 11:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iontyre View Post

Be careful if you decide to go the commercial package route instead ... I'm not sure the latest releases support HD DVD anymore. The entire industry seems hell bent on pretending those red cased discs never existed...

No, just their Passkey product seems to still support HD-DVD decryption, but it's free. The"Lite" version anyway.

I have to wait for snail mail to deliver my drive, so at this point I'm just trying to get familiar with the needed software to cut down on wait time.
The aacskeys error is gone, so hopefully the other error I mentioned is related to BR only.
post #12 of 35 Old 08-20-2011, 05:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

No, just their Passkey product seems to still support HD-DVD decryption, but it's free. The"Lite" version anyway.

I have to wait for snail mail to deliver my drive, so at this point I'm just trying to get familiar with the needed software to cut down on wait time.
The aacskeys error is gone, so hopefully the other error I mentioned is related to BR only.

I just checked out passkey lite, and it makes no mention of hd dvd, only dvd and blu-ray. And it specifically says it can't remove aacs from blu-ray, so I doubt it would work on hd dvd even if it did recognize the disc.
post #13 of 35 Old 08-20-2011, 06:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I just checked out passkey lite, and it makes no mention of hd dvd, only dvd and blu-ray. And it specifically says it can't remove aacs from blu-ray, so I doubt it would work on hd dvd even if it did recognize the disc.

I know. But their support told me it does and after installing it, it shows options for HD-DVD.

I'll let you know after my drive arrives, hopefully in a couple of days.
post #14 of 35 Old 08-25-2011, 01:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well, the Xbox drive arrived, and I attempted to convert an HD-DVD movie of "The Game", but it didn't seem to work.

Passkey lite worked fine to decrypt. But after Clown finished, I ended up with these files:
vc1, AC3, Chapters.txt, sup (subtitles) and meta.

The only folder created was named "LOGS".

No BDMV folder or anyrhing else.
post #15 of 35 Old 08-25-2011, 11:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well, the Xbox drive arrived, and I attempted to convert an HD-DVD movie of "The Game", but it didn't seem to work.

Passkey lite worked fine to decrypt. But after Clown finished, I ended up with these files:
vc1, AC3, Chapters.txt, sup (subtitles) and meta.

The only folder created was named "LOGS".

No BDMV folder or anyrhing else.

Well, that's odd. It always works fine for me. Did you specify an output location? Those other files go in the TEMP location, but there should also be an output location specified.
post #16 of 35 Old 08-25-2011, 12:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Did you specify an output location? Those other files go in the TEMP location, but there should also be an output location specified.

Well, yes. That where the VC1 and AC3 files ended up.
I'm now using Clown to creat an M2TS and AC3 file, then I guess author with Power Producer.

I'll try another HD-DVD title later and see if that works.

Edit: I still ended up with AC3 and VC1 files. Clown is demuxing but not remuxing I think. don't know why. I tried using two different folders for the demux and remux, and again using one folder. But it's just stops after the demux. There was an error:

[v03] Creating file "C:\\Users\\Lee\\Videos\\The Game Bly_Ray\\Video_3.vc1"...
[v03] The destination file "C:\\Users\\Lee\\Videos\\The Game Bly_Ray\\Video_3.vc1" could not be created.
[v03] Writing the destination file failed.
Aborted at file position 3145728.
post #17 of 35 Old 08-25-2011, 12:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

No joy. I discovered ClownBD comes with an older version of tsMuxeR, so I downloaded that and replaced it in the folder Clown checks.

But I got the same results: A video_3.vc1 file, a wave file, and a .w64 audio file. Also there are text, sup and meta files.

Then ClownBD stops after demuxing.

The sub log file says: ERROR: No extension given for target C:\\Users\\Public\\Videos\\The Game Demuxed\\*_exp

The eac3to v3.24 log file shows at the end: [a04] Creating file "C:\\Users\\Public\\Videos\\The Game Demuxed\\Audio_4_English.WAV"...
[a04] Caution: The WAV file is bigger than 4GB.
[a04] Some WAV readers might not be able to handle this file correctly.
Video track 3 contains 185056 frames.
Subtitle track 6 contains 1584 captions.
eac3to processing took 14 minutes, 31 seconds.
Done.

My output folder remains empty.

I'm using tsMuxeR's GUI to remux into Blu-Ray format, but it wont accept the subtitle file. Hopefully I will at least end up with a Blu-Ray of this movie. Too bad about the subs though.
post #18 of 35 Old 08-25-2011, 02:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well, this is interesting.

The original HD-DVD folder is only 24+ gigs.
But the output from tsMuxeR to a BDMV folder is over 28 gigs! Explain that one.

So not only can I not burn that to a 25 gig BR disc, I can't play the m2ts file. VLC opens and the curser indicated the file is playing, but the screen is black and no sound.
post #19 of 35 Old 08-26-2011, 09:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well, this is interesting.

The original HD-DVD folder is only 24+ gigs.
But the output from tsMuxeR to a BDMV folder is over 28 gigs! Explain that one.

So not only can I not burn that to a 25 gig BR disc, I can't play the m2ts file. VLC opens and the curser indicated the file is playing, but the screen is black and no sound.

I have to think you have a setting wrong somewhere, my .wav files are routinely over 4gb, and I never get that warning message. I usually only take the video, chapters, and one audio track (truehd if it is there), I don't bother with the subtitles. I get the same files you get, in my TEMP folder, and then the final BDMV folder is in my specified OUTPUT location. I am having some problems with DD+ tracks, they tend to convert to LPCM for some reason, which does blow them up quite a bit, but most of my movie only files total around 15 - 18 gb, easily fitting on a single layer BD-R or BD-RE.
post #20 of 35 Old 09-01-2011, 11:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

So finally I have a little time to return to this.

I noticed that the de-muxed folder of this movie (The Game) has a vc1 file and TWO audio files: .W64 (whatever that is) and WAV. Both audio files are just over 6 gigs, and the vc1 file is 20.4.

Am I even supposed to include either of the .W64 or WAV files? does the vc1 file include it's own audio? I'm currently muxing the vc1 with the .W64 (previously I think I muxed all three). But even just muxing the vc1 and .W64 should bring the size to 26.4 gigs, too big for a blank BR disc.

I still don't understand why Clown didn't complete the whole job. Later or tomorrow I'll try a different HD-DVD disc and see what happens.
post #21 of 35 Old 09-01-2011, 11:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

OK, well some progress.

This time the re-muxed files play using VLC just fine. I tried WMP but it playes without picture or sound (the curser and time counter both move however).

But I still can't burn the thing because the combined file sizes are 28 gigs! Explain to me please how adding a 20.4 gig file with a 6.2 gig file equals 28 gigs?

For that matter, explain how an HD-DVD disc with files totalling 24.1 gigs produce 32.1 gigs when de-muxed???
post #22 of 35 Old 09-01-2011, 01:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well, I tried again with The Italian Job. This time it seemed to work.

The source HD-DVD disc was 16.2 gigs, and the converted BR folder is 17 gigs, after removing three audio tracks.

So do I just burn the BDMV and CERTIFICATE folders to a BR? And how, as data files using any burning program? Since I didn't create an inage, I assume I can't use Imgburn.
post #23 of 35 Old 09-02-2011, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well, I tried again with The Italian Job. This time it seemed to work.

The source HD-DVD disc was 16.2 gigs, and the converted BR folder is 17 gigs, after removing three audio tracks.

So do I just burn the BDMV and CERTIFICATE folders to a BR? And how, as data files using any burning program? Since I didn't create an inage, I assume I can't use Imgburn.

Imgburn is what I use, it will do data discs just fine. That's all it is, a data disc with the BDMV and CERTIFICATE folders.

The large converted result must be because you are taking a DD+ audio track. Blu-ray does not support that, so ClownBD converts it to LPCM, which takes up considerably more space.

Why is there a separate step for you after creating the vc1 and w64/wav files? ClownBD just goes directly into making the blu-ray output for me, I do not have to choose which files to mux. Be sure to click the blu-ray radio button in ClownBD before you start demuxing.
post #24 of 35 Old 09-02-2011, 12:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thank you for the response. With "The Italian Job" HD-DVD, I did not have to take any extra steps. For some reason, I'm having issues with "The Game" HD-DVD.

I will have to do more research with that one.
post #25 of 35 Old 09-03-2011, 11:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

OK, well I deleted the ripped and demuxed folders for "The Game" and started over. This time it worked fine. I never figured out what the problem was, but the only thing I did differently was I used a different location for the demuxing and Blu-Ray creation folders.

One more question: Many films have both DTS and AC3 audio tracks. Which is "better"?

I have a surround system capable of playing both, and a PS3 for playing Blu-Ray discs. If I choose DTS and attempt to play the disc on a player that is not connected to a system with DTS compatability, with the sound be converted to something more generically compatable by the player? Specifically, I'm thinking about my mom's Blu-Ray player connected to a TV with an HDMI cable, and to a sound bar via optical.
post #26 of 35 Old 09-04-2011, 04:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

So my created Blu-Ray issues are not over yet.
Both discs player flawlessly on my PS3. Hoever, neither will play on my mom's Samsung player. I get the error "Cant play disc" or something like that.

I'm guessing there is little I can do other than use a different brand of disc? Anyone have experience with this?
post #27 of 35 Old 09-04-2011, 06:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So my created Blu-Ray issues are not over yet.
Both discs player flawlessly on my PS3. Hoever, neither will play on my mom's Samsung player. I get the error "Cant play disc" or something like that.

I'm guessing there is little I can do other than use a different brand of disc? Anyone have experience with this?

Be sure you are burning with UDF 2.5 or 2.6 disc format.
post #28 of 35 Old 09-04-2011, 09:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Hmm...
I used Roxio Creator DE 10.3. Under options, I only see:

Type: Track at once open, track at once closed, or Disc at once.
Mode: Mode 1, Mode 2XA
File system: ISO+Joliet, ISO+Joliet+UDF, or ISO Level 2

If ImgBurn has settings for UDF 2.5 or 2.6, I suppose I'll try that.

My expierence with DVD's is that certain players don't like certain brands of discs. I just assume Blu-Ray is no different.
post #29 of 35 Old 09-27-2011, 11:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
I am glad this thread exists. I have about 500 HD DVDs and a NAS with 8TB of storage space. I'd like to put the HD DVD files on the server and play them from there so I can pack away the Discs and, also not have to have an HD DVD player everywhere I might want to play an HD DVD.

I'll look into the software used here.

Thanks

Living the HT Dream...now in 4D.
post #30 of 35 Old 09-28-2011, 06:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by larrimore View Post

I'd like to put the HD DVD files on the server and play them from there so I can pack away the Disc

If you mean "movie only", then you should look at an app called ToNMT:

http://www.networkedmediatank.com/wi...x.php/ToNMT_UI
Reply HD DVD Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page