What gives with Grand Prix hd dvd? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 19 Old 10-18-2011, 08:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I bought a brand new Grand Prix hd dvd and found several chapters would not play at all on my Toshiba A2. I took it over to the neighbors house and he could not play it either. So then I bought another new Grand Prix hd dvd from Amazon and today after unwrapping it I discover it does not work either.

Does this movie have known problems? I have not seen anything on the internet that talks about this movie being bad. Yet my hd dvd player does find on my other hd dvd movies.

Bob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 10-19-2011, 05:57 AM

Hey-I have this disc, and several players. I'll try to remember to dig it out tonight and see if mine plays. I'll report back. DB
post #3 of 19 Old 10-19-2011, 07:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVonse View Post

several chapters would not play at all

Which chapters, specifically? I have that disc too, but don't want to guess at where the problem areas might be.
post #4 of 19 Old 10-19-2011, 11:51 AM

I have this disc and it plays completely without problems for me on XA2 and A35 players.
post #5 of 19 Old 10-19-2011, 04:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Both discs play to chapter 10 and then freeze up. It always freezes up when Eva Saint Marie is talking in the car room with all the autographs on the wall. None of the chapters from 10 to intermission will play but then all the chapters after intermission play fine. I am able to see the special features ok too.

Bob
post #6 of 19 Old 10-19-2011, 04:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalbabe View Post

Hey-I have this disc, and several players. I'll try to remember to dig it out tonight and see if mine plays. I'll report back. DB

Thanks for your help. It will sure be nice to figure this out so I can finally see all of the movie.

Bob
post #7 of 19 Old 10-19-2011, 06:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 58
My copy plays through chapter 10 just fine. Perhaps you could try to reset the player, press Display-7-0-1-Display on your remote. It worked for a couple of WB titles I was having problems with, one of which was freezing at a certain point in the movie.
post #8 of 19 Old 10-19-2011, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pointless2 View Post

I have this disc and it plays completely without problems for me on XA2 and A35 players.

Just in case it had gone bad since I last played it, I just replayed my copy on my A35 and still runs without errors.
post #9 of 19 Old 10-20-2011, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVonse View Post

I bought a brand new Grand Prix hd dvd and found several chapters would not play at all on my Toshiba A2. I took it over to the neighbors house and he could not play it either. So then I bought another new Grand Prix hd dvd from Amazon and today after unwrapping it I discover it does not work either.

Does this movie have known problems? I have not seen anything on the internet that talks about this movie being bad. Yet my hd dvd player does find on my other hd dvd movies.

Last night I opened a brand-new copy of An American Werewolf in London. It wouldn't run on my XA2, I got an error message. I noticed that there were some clouds on the disc. I cleaned the disc and it played like a charm. If you haven't already done so, you might try cleaning the disc to see if that takes care of the problem.
post #10 of 19 Old 10-21-2011, 04:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 59
I tried mine on my Integra 8.8 and LG BH-200 and it played fine on both. Try the reset that bruceames suggested. It fixed several discs that were freezing on my Tosh.
post #11 of 19 Old 10-21-2011, 06:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceames View Post

My copy plays through chapter 10 just fine. Perhaps you could try to reset the player, press Display-7-0-1-Display on your remote. It worked for a couple of WB titles I was having problems with, one of which was freezing at a certain point in the movie.

I tried this and got halfway through chapter 10 before I got this message:

"408bc504 cannot play disc"

So the reset helped but still did not get me through the movie. I had no idea you could reset the player with this code.

Bob
post #12 of 19 Old 10-21-2011, 11:48 PM

Liked: 14
It's a Warner title on a dual-layer disc made by Cinram- enough said. Luckily my copy plays fine.
post #13 of 19 Old 10-23-2011, 05:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8traxrule View Post

It's a Warner title on a dual-layer disc made by Cinram- enough said. Luckily my copy plays fine.

So is the quality control not so good on some of the Warner disc's? Is it possible that a brand new still in the package disc will not play because it was not made right?

Bob
post #14 of 19 Old 10-24-2011, 01:10 AM

Liked: 14
Yes- see my earlier post about Warner HD-DVDs. I have ALL of their titles (except Twister which has been hard to find at a decent price), all bought still sealed but I wasn't able to watch many of them for more than a year afterwards. When I finally did, I found that many would freeze up in the middle or not load at all. When I posted about it some people checked discs they had bought a while ago which had worked fine and had trouble with them too, suggesting they're getting "laser rot", deteriorating after being manufactured (a problem that's been around since the first laserdiscs.)

Since I'm an obsessive collector I've persistently been re-buying more sealed copies (at my expense) and think I have most of the bad ones replaced now- last one I replaced was Season 6 of Smallville which had bad disc #4s in multiple sets, and now trying to get a working copy of Cream at Royal Albert Hall put out by Rhino but manufactured by Cinram.

When I first discovered this large number of bad discs I contacted Warner's customer service who told me they would replace them with Blu-Ray discs ONLY if I had the original receipts, and only if they were from 'authorized retailers' and not Ebay or Amazon resellers, even though they were obtained brand-new. Once I have a good copy of the Cream disc and have verified that all my Smallville discs are working, I plan on sending all the bad discs in a box to Warner Home Video's president with a nice letter and maybe a printout of threads like this one, and just say that I'll assume they will do the right thing.
post #15 of 19 Old 10-24-2011, 05:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Surprising enough this one is good in my collection as well.
post #16 of 19 Old 10-25-2011, 06:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8traxrule View Post

When I posted about it some people checked discs they had bought a while ago which had worked fine and had trouble with them too, suggesting they're getting "laser rot", deteriorating after being manufactured (a problem that's been around since the first laserdiscs.)

I never heard of laser rot but thanks for the explanation because that is what is making perfect sense to me now. I bought both of my Grand Prix new discs from Amazon so I guess I won't be getting any refunds either. The only good news is that I did not pay much for either one.

I guess I will just have to buy this one on blu ray.

Bob
post #17 of 19 Old 10-28-2011, 10:42 PM

Since this is new old stock sitting in air tight wrapper, I would really take a look at the possibility that the red case has "off gassed" and put a little haze layer on the disc. just rub your finger across the inside of the red case. YOu will see a little layer has formed on the case. normal plastic breakdown. It is what gives many cars that new car smell. Even when new years ago some would find the disc would need a gentle cleaning to remove a layer of haze and all would be good. these disc do not have the coating that blu-rays do.
post #18 of 19 Old 03-05-2012, 05:09 PM

I had some problems for a while with HD-DVDs freezing or giving error messages - it started with one disc (Carlito's Way), but then spread to others. I started shopping for a replacement player when I decided to do a firmware update. To my pleasant surprise, it fixed ALL of the problems. My player is a Toshiba A-30.
post #19 of 19 Old 03-15-2012, 03:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 42
It does not surprise me. I had a number of early dual layer DVDs that failed. I hope Blu-rays don't suffer the same fate. I think a lot of these problems were related to bad QC, plus HD DVD was pushing the physical structure of the original DVD to its limit.

I had to replace my entire From the Earth to the Moon DVD set early in that format's life cycle. I had other that issues as well. Remember Universal was having poor results with DVD18s. And that did not happen until the format was well established.

I need to go back to my early BD discs to see how they are holding up? It seems like these issues are not tied to one format if history is any indicator.

I guess though I am surprised by the number of HD DVD that have seen high failure rates.

Reply HD DVD Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page