Convert HD-DVD to digital - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 23 Old 05-05-2012, 06:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is there a simple way to convert my HD-DVD collection to a digital format?

I have a Xbox hddvd player that I can use to read the discs with my pc, but I haven't found any software that I'm positive will rip the discs?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 05-05-2012, 10:45 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
AnyDVD HD
post #3 of 23 Old 05-06-2012, 12:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 27
DVDFab Passkey (lite version is free).
Clown-BD to process (also free).

A long-time audio/video addict!
post #4 of 23 Old 05-07-2012, 06:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 50
If you're looking for simple, AnyDVD HD is as simple as it gets.
post #5 of 23 Old 05-07-2012, 05:24 PM - Thread Starter

I was able to use AnyDVD HD to remove the protection, and create a .iso file.

It looks like the movie is split into two separate files. I don't care about the menus. What can I use to join those two files and create a single .mkv file?
post #6 of 23 Old 05-07-2012, 08:56 PM
Advanced Member

It should have been 1 file and why do you want to make .mkv?

post #7 of 23 Old 05-08-2012, 05:56 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by junglalien View Post

It should have been 1 file and why do you want to make .mkv?

Any idea why it came up as two files? It is split into two files on the disc as well.

I just picked MKV because it is supported by my Blu-Ray player. My intentions are to rip these and play them from a NAS. Is there a better format that I should be using?

Also, someone pointed me to use MakeMKV. That seems to work well, and doesn't appear to require any other software. Unless AnyDVD HD is working completely in the background, which I don't think it was because I didn't get the 20 day warning.
post #8 of 23 Old 05-08-2012, 08:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 50
I believe it's split into 2 files because there are 2 layers on the disc. I've noticed that there are (nearly) always 1 file on single layer discs and 2 files on dual layers discs.

If you want to convert to something that'll play on a Blu-ray player, then check out this thread.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1354525
post #9 of 23 Old 05-08-2012, 01:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmauld View Post

Any idea why it came up as two files? It is split into two files on the disc as well.

I just picked MKV because it is supported by my Blu-Ray player. My intentions are to rip these and play them from a NAS. Is there a better format that I should be using?

Also, someone pointed me to use MakeMKV. That seems to work well, and doesn't appear to require any other software. Unless AnyDVD HD is working completely in the background, which I don't think it was because I didn't get the 20 day warning.

HD-DVD typically has 2 .evo files for the main feature, as I recall (feature_1 & feature_2). I do not believe AnyDVDHD will convert anything - so you get what was on the source disc decrypted. If you want to make a BD, MKV, DVD, etc. from your hd-dvd you need something else in addition to AnyDVDHD or DVDFab Passkey. I used DVDFab Passkey and Clown-BD when I experimented with this process. DVDFab Passkey had a bug in it at the time - since fixed. I used AnyDVDHD as a test. It worked fine. See link below for comments & notes.

look here . . . http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=134227&page=19

post #10 of 23 Old 05-08-2012, 01:34 PM

Posted previously in the HD DVD Players section

It takes apporx. 2 hours per title from beginning to end. I use a 5-year old Dell dual-core based computer, XP, 4Gb memory, 2Tb secondary installed HDD for the process. Software installed includes AnyDVDhd from SlySoft, ClownBD (full install including tsMuxeR, eac3to, BDSup2Sub, ImgBurn, Java runtime). Go to www.mediasmartserver.net/wiki/index.php/Clown_BD for a tutorial on how to run ClownBD. I follow all the steps with the following exceptions: I deselect 'Use ImgBurn' on the main screen, on "eac3to 3rd Pass" screen I deselect ALL subtitles, select only 1 audio type and channels, select "Movie Output Format" as Blu-ray. At that point once you select next, it will take a long time to convrt (up to 1.5 hours). When complete, I navigate to the Clown_BD folder created and navigate to the BDMV/stream to see the size of the stream file.

The reason I deselect ALL subtitles, etc. is to get a perfect copy of the movie that will fit on the BD-R. In most cases, the extras, etc. are really not necessary. I have done this for 30+ movies so far, not counting the ones that are > 25 Gb. I'll watch for bargain deals on the others down the road.
post #11 of 23 Old 05-09-2012, 08:15 AM

HD DVDs are dead. Why do you need this?
post #12 of 23 Old 05-09-2012, 09:56 AM

In response to SergeMonrois, I have a large number of HD DVDs personally and don't see a need to double-dip for the Blu version. I can use my software and purchase 25GB BDRs inexpensively and convert them. I can also leave a copy on my media server. I like a physical backup. Yes, it takes time, but I just run the conversion in the background. In most cases, the Blu version is no different from the HD DVD version video-wise. jmauld's wish to convert his current library is not far fetched.
post #13 of 23 Old 05-09-2012, 02:32 PM

I've been backing up the few HD DVDs I have left (Apollo 13, The Thing etc, films which have better PQ than the Blu-ray releases, no DNR) to BD25's quite easily.
  1. Place disk into drive with AnyDVD HD running
  2. Open EVOdemux and chose the first feature .evo file
  3. Demux the video and audio to hard drive
  4. Use vc1conv to remove the 29fps flags so that video stream will be recognised as 23.976fps
  5. Use tsMuxer to mux the video and audio into Blu-ray format
  6. Use imgburn to create .iso and burn to BD25

This gives a film-only Blu-ray with DD+ audio. I have 2 BD players (and a Dune HD) and all support DD+, so doesn't cause me a problem.
post #14 of 23 Old 05-09-2012, 03:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SergeMonrois View Post

HD DVDs are dead. Why do you need this?

Actually, my HD-DVD players and titles are very much alive & well.
And the ability to make back-up copies of my HD-DVD titles or convert them to a different format for increased playback flexibility is very useful.
That's why we need this capability.

post #15 of 23 Old 05-21-2012, 11:36 AM

Has anyone converted Apollo 13 and U-571 from HD-DVD to Blu-ray? Both have audio sync problems and the DD+ track needs to be offset. For Apollo 13 +500ms looks to work for me, I am working on the DTS and DD+ for U-571 now.

Has anyone done these 2 films? What offsets did you use?
post #16 of 23 Old 06-29-2012, 09:48 PM

I would love to back up my copy of The Eagles Farewell Tour to BD. However, my computer skill is very lacking. If anyone has this in their collection and decide to put this on BD, I would love to make a trade for this.
post #17 of 23 Old 06-30-2012, 09:20 PM
Advanced Member

I have read where ""SOME"" Wal-Marts are accepting the "HD-DVD"s for conversion to the "VUDU" "Cloud" movie collections for the $2 each price?
Has anybody here been able to do this and on the "VUDU" site there has been no ''OFFICIAL'' comment or policy.

:David
post #18 of 23 Old 07-08-2012, 09:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidEC View Post

I have read where ""SOME"" Wal-Marts are accepting the "HD-DVD"s for conversion to the "VUDU" "Cloud" movie collections for the $2 each price?
Has anybody here been able to do this and on the "VUDU" site there has been no ''OFFICIAL'' comment or policy.

I posred rhis quesrtion to the Wal-Mart clerk a few days ago...he didn't even know what HD-DVD was. But next time I go Ihere , I might just bring a disc with me and see what happens.

post #19 of 23 Old 07-22-2012, 03:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizu_Ger View Post

Has anyone converted Apollo 13 and U-571 from HD-DVD to Blu-ray? Both have audio sync problems and the DD+ track needs to be offset. For Apollo 13 +500ms looks to work for me, I am working on the DTS and DD+ for U-571 now.

Has anyone done these 2 films? What offsets did you use?

If you're just reusing the HD DVD's DD+, I believe eac3to will automatically add the appropriate delay when demuxing/converting. If you happen to have the BD and want to use its DTS-MA (this allows you to have lossless and still fit on a BD-25, when I tried converting the DD+ for Apollo 13 to LPCM, it wouldn't fit), another poster said -431ms will work: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1243394/apollo-13-comparison-pix/300#post_19996540
post #20 of 23 Old 07-27-2012, 12:33 AM

Liked: 11
Just ordered a 360 HD-DVD player to back-up my HD-DVDs on hard drive. I have already backed up my standard def DVD collection to hard drive except for my PAL region 2 DVDs. I have read that the HD-DVD player conforms to the region of the 360 console for DVD playback, but when it is plugged into my PC, will I be able to back up my REGION 2 standard DVD's? Thanks.
post #21 of 23 Old 08-12-2012, 09:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidEC View Post

The convert to digital program ends August 31st..

I took 12 HD-DVD's and 3 Blu-Ray's with the printed list as if they were BluRay and the clerk did not even question the disc's.. just sat down at her computer and entered the data, then was to of stamped the disc's but the first two she chose were "Flippers" and could not find a spot to stamp "converted" so gave up and just bagged my discs back up and handed them back to me.

Basically I just did my "series" movies such as Mission Impossible, Mummy, The Scorpion King, Matrix.

Since not all of my disc's are available at VUDU I could not convert too many more.

post #22 of 23 Old 09-04-2012, 03:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich86 View Post

DVDFab Passkey (lite version is free).

Clown-BD to process (also free).

Sounds good, but do they contain certain kind of limitations? Like time you can use, ads, or something like that? smile.gif
post #23 of 23 Old 09-04-2012, 05:20 PM
Advanced Member

Nothing that I have seen.

Reply HD DVD Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page