AVS Forum banner

Last HD DVD movie watched

15K views 55 replies 30 participants last post by  RonAlam 
#1 ·
Just watched What dreams may come, what a gorgeous transfer. Anyone else watch anything lately on this platform?

#27 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdlehman  /t/1435221/last-hd-dvd-movie-watched/0_100#post_23119119

I used the trial version of Anydvd HD. They give you 21 days to try it out so I just decided to rip my entire HD DVD library. Once ripped I ran each of them through trial version of Makemkv allowing me to trim foreign languages, subtitles, special features, etc. Streaming to WD TV Live. I was able to stream to the DVD player but it wasn't able to process the files directly putting a strain on my pc. Found the WD TV Live to be what I needed.

Stace

DVDFab Passkey can handle HD-DVDs also - and it's free in the "Lite" version (which is really all you need).

#29 ·
My son is a HUGE Fast and Furious fan. He actually took on of my spare players (A30) to his buddies and set it up so they can watch (at least the first 2-the Drift one really is NOT part of the series). I really liked the second one for brainless fun. great transfer and awesome DD+ sound.

I watched Knocked Up last week, first time I had the DD+ come up on my Onkyo AVR (of course had 3/4 of the movie running in DD, toggled through the audio choices and it came up last). Forgot what a goofy movie that was, and of course, looked really good.

#34 ·
I watched Next for the first time recently. It was also a low-priced blind buy. It is a very good movie, from a story written by the same author as Total Recall (one of my favorite movies), and Minority Report (now on my shopping list!).

Next has Dolby TrueHD audio and nice picture quality.

#37 ·
Watched Apollo 13. Had been sat on the shelf, still sealed for years. Finally opened it and watched it. Not the most eye popping HD transfer ever, but very servicable and an enjoyable movie to boot !! Disc played fine as well, although as a Universal disc shame there was no bookmark facility !

#38 ·
You can use Aneesoft DVD Ripper to rip DVDs to various video format you want.

#40 ·
Watched , I have this on LD, HD DVD, and BD and this is my favorite version. Also watched .

#43 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrychoen  /t/1435221/last-hd-dvd-movie-watched/30#post_24063979

I still think BD is better than HD DVD.

Generally this is true but there are exceptions, for example:

2001: A Space Odyssey BD - LPCM 5.1 (48kHz, 16-bit)

2001: A Space Odyssey HD DVD - Dolby TrueHD surround track (48 kHz/24-Bit/3.0 Mbps)

#47 ·
I watched "Top Gun" a week ago or so. That movie will always be special for me as the first one I saw in surround sound at home, in 1986-87. I had read how to hook two speakers in series, then connect them to both positive terminals on my amplifier's speaker connections to get an approximation of Dolby Surround sound. It worked!

#48 ·
National Lampoons Christmas Vacation

Still wish they would have used a 5.1 audio track. I had totally forgotten that Johnny Galecki played Rusty in this one. Still an all-time favorite.

S~

#49 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by teachsac  /t/1435221/last-hd-dvd-movie-watched/30#post_24111038

National Lampoons Christmas Vacation
Thanks for reminding me about this one--I do think I have the HD-DVD somewhere! Will watch tonight!

UPDATE: We did watch it and I was surprised to learn that I'd never seen it except "edited for television" before! It's a lot better un-expurgated for sure!

#51 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by iBob57  /t/1435221/last-hd-dvd-movie-watched/30#post_23901616

Notting Hill. Yesterday.

After being underwhelmed by the new Blu-ray release, I decided to pull out my HD DVD disc to compare. Wound up watching the whole thing. Visible improvement over the Blu-ray. Glad I kept it.

I am SO glad I didn't get rid of the HD DVD when the BD was announced. I was shocked at how poorly executed the BD was after Universal waiting so long to release the BD.

But, the last HD DVD I watched was Streets of Fire. After going to the trouble and expense of ordering BOTH the German and UK Blu-rays, i sat down with all three and did a comparison. I wound up watching the HD DVD all the way through.

Yeah, the disc I already had sitting on my shelf.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.