DTS-HD MA 7.1 vs DTS Core 1509 kbps in The Last Exorcism Bluray - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 10-05-2013, 07:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

I would like to know, is there a significant or very slight difference in audio quality in the two audio tracks. The Last Exorcism is a horror film which relies heavily on jump scares and soundtrack to scare, so audio quality does make a lot of difference. Please reply ASAP.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 10-10-2013, 05:27 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 70
You may get more looks at this thread if you put it over in the bluray section.

That being said, while I can't speak for this movie specifically, but if you have the choice and the ability to play it back, I would go for the DTS-HD Master Audio version over core DTS. Unless it was just recorded and transferred poorly onto disc, the DTS HD MA version, in my experience, will typically have a much fuller sound across the full frequency range. DTS-HD MA can be recorded in 7.1 up to 96Khz/24bit or in 5.1 all the way up to 192Khz/24bit per channel. That is an increase over "typical" core DTS which, in my experience, is kept at 48Khz/16 bit. Especially if you are talking about DVD's and their relatively limited capacity. This is what is referred to as 'lossless' (DTS-HD MA) vs. 'lossy' (DTS-HD Hi Resolution and core DTS). According to DTS, Master Audio was designed to be identical to the studio masters and is almost identical to what the director heard while making the soundtrack. Now if you are listening to high res surround music discs, 'core' DTS can go all the way up to 5.1 channels of 96Khz/24bit with their 'DTS Digital Surround 96/24' program and the results can be fantastic. Unfortunately this is pretty much a niche product and is all but defunct now due to the format war between DVD-Audio and SACD. Others may have different experiences. You can check out movie reviews at http://thedigitalbits.com/ and http://widescreenreview.com/ to name a couple of sites that at times they compare the Master Audio version on bluray to the core DTS version on a DVD if they have it available. In most cases, not all, the Master Audio version is quoted as being superior. Now whether you will hear the additional resolution will also depend on the quality of your components and speakers too. For those who can only afford a $150 K-Mart special, this just isn't going to cut it. But if you have been putting together a well thought out system, then you can be rewarded with some awesome and 'scary' sounds.

Here is some info that I got straight from DTS's website:

http://www.dts.com/professionals/sound-technologies/audio-formats.aspx

Hope this helped in some way and sorry if I seemed to ramble on. Happy listening. biggrin.gif

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato
Reply HD DVD Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page