AVS Forum banner

Any one have experience with using a xbox HD DVD drive to make digital copy.

13K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  rr6966 
#1 ·
Just saw this on the youtubes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4OQg2XWl8Y

Have any of you guys done this, and been able to convert to other formats, lets say making a blu-ray disc.

Or how else have you converted.

#2 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtheen  /t/1529191/any-one-have-experience-with-using-a-xbox-hd-dvd-drive-to-make-digital-copy#post_24652953

Just saw this on the youtubes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4OQg2XWl8Y

Have any of you guys done this, and been able to convert to other formats, lets say making a blu-ray disc.

Or how else have you converted.

Yes. I have my xbox drive hooked up to my computer and use a program (it cost $$ but is worth it) called any dvd. With any dvd running, you can use a free program called clown bd to convert it to a blu ray. I have done it with quite a few of my hd dvds and recommend doing it sooner rather than later because many of my hd dvds (warner bros. specifically) no longer play due to disk rot. In fact, a number of them (lethal weapon, the matrix, a couple planet earth episodes and many more) went bad before I had a chance to convert them. It has been nice to have some of the movies either not on blu yet (for love of the game, the break up) or that are better on hd dvd (training day,terminator 2 uk) on blu ray for future use. Once on blu ray, you can use handbrake (free) to convert/compress it into something for portable devices, which I have found are of better quality than most digital copies anyways.

#3 ·
I agree with handbrake which I use regularly for my amazon kindle. And thanks I'll have to to that once I find my dang power supply.

Disk Rot...
what to be honest I've never heard of it or seen it. How does that happen and why? Is there a way to prevent it?

#4 ·
Let me ask you this. When was the last time you played one of your warner bros. HD DVD's? If the answer is "not lately", you might want to check and make sure they still play, as about 40% of mine don't even read anymore. Warner Bros. had a major issue with their supplier and many of their disks rot. You can't even tell when you look at them. I even had an unopened lethal weapon disk not play right out of the wrapper. I had it for a while but never even opened it. Kind of a bummer.

#7 ·
I recently picked up a brand new (never opened) xBox HD DVD drive on eBay for $15. Connected it to my iMac, popped in Blazing Saddles HD DVD, and fired up Make MKV. Worked great! It's a bit slower than ripping a Blu-ray disc (with my LG Blu-ray drive) but no biggie. For $15 I've got zero complaints!

Mark

#8 ·
I just converted all my HD-DVD's (about 50) on Vudu disc to digital. Granted I had to take them into Wal-Mart but at 2.00 a disc to convert to HDX 1080p (stored on the cloud) it was worth it for me not to have to buy these titles again. With Vudu I don't have to ever worry about disc rot.

#9 ·
Back when they were around, I bought for my PC, an HD-DVD/Blu Ray combo drive. I used this to rip all my HD-DVD ( and now my Blu Rays ) in to digital format. At the time I wasn't sure if I would keep my HD-DVD players or how long they would last, so I did this around 2008-2009. Needless to say this was a good move, and today I have all my movies on a NAS. I used Slysoft's AnyDVD, MakeMKV,ClownBD, and Handbrake to do whatever I want.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827136133

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.