Strange playability quirk - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 08-02-2015, 02:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Strange playability quirk

Hi, I have over 300 HD DVD titles in my collection and 4 players. A Venturer unit, a Toshiba HDA30, A2 and A3.
Right now I have the A30 in my living room and the A2 in the bedroom. Yesterday I watched Fast and Furious with no issues on the A30. When I tried to watch 2Fast2Furious, it kept freezing at the same spot. I checked the disc under a light and it had weird foggy patches and streaks on the surface. This disc had been only watched once previously and has sat for years on my shelf.
I tried the disc in my A2 and it played fine. I tried it again in the A30 and it also played fine! It didn't freeze.
Next I tried The Warriors. It did have a scratch on the disc. I tried it in the A30 and it kept freezing - this was repeatable- at the 47 minute mark. I tried it in the A2 and it played through this just fine. When I tried it again in the A30... it played through the 47 minute mark perfectly.
This scenario happened a few years ago with two completely different players. An A3 which was in the living room and the Venturer which was in the bedroom. The Hitcher, which was a combo disc, kept freezing in the A3 but played fine in the Venturer, then played fine when tried again in the A3.
Any ideas why something like this could happen, especially when these freeze-ups were originally repeatable over and over again?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 08-02-2015, 08:37 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have various Warner Bros. titles that won't play in certain sections of the disc on any HD-XA1 or HD-A1 in the house but play through fine on my Xbox 360 HD DVD add-on. Sounds like some of your players can play through bit rot better than others.
post #3 of 6 Old 08-03-2015, 05:02 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gar3 View Post
I have various Warner Bros. titles that won't play in certain sections of the disc on any HD-XA1 or HD-A1 in the house but play through fine on my Xbox 360 HD DVD add-on. Sounds like some of your players can play through bit rot better than others.

Hi, I see your point of course. What I was specifically confused about, was how a segment that would constantly freeze on player A, would play successfully after it played fine on player B? What changed to make player A work fine, after it -previously- constantly and repeatedly froze up at the exact minute/second mark over and over again?

post #4 of 6 Old 08-03-2015, 08:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Have you tried cleaning the troublesome discs? Sometimes that helps for me. I use an old discwasher disc cleaner & fluid.

A long-time audio/video addict!
post #5 of 6 Old 08-03-2015, 09:03 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich86 View Post
Have you tried cleaning the troublesome discs? Sometimes that helps for me. I use an old discwasher disc cleaner & fluid.

I find that cleaning HD DVDs can be a dangerous thing at times. The surface is so fragile it easily scratches even using a microfiber cloth and hot air. From the getgo, I've always handled HD DVD discs extremely carefully. No fingerprints, clean hands, and delicately picked them up via the outside edges only, to avoid fingerprints.
I have found some of my discs are clouding up, so I guess that's the delamination process. Well, I thought I was going to be able to watch 2Fast2Furious in my bedroom HDA2 but it was not to be. It locked up solid on one particular scene and that was that.
post #6 of 6 Old 08-05-2015, 09:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Well, if the disc has begun to go into rot mode, no cleaning exercise will help.
I use the Discwasher cleaning device because it does the best job I have seen of cleaning the entire disc using a hub to outer rim motion (across the data tracks) & the fluid used does not contaminate anything.
I've used it for many years, beginning with CDs & now HD-DVDs & BDs.
Just for info.

A long-time audio/video addict!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HD DVD Software

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page