Playback software that still works - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 12-01-2015, 10:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Playback software that still works

We should create a list of software that still works with HD DVD's and what OS they are compatible with.

I am using Slysoft's ANYDVD HD(Free Trial Available):
http://www.slysoft.com/en/anydvdhd.html

And Media Player Codec Pack(FREE):
https://www.mediaplayercodecpack.com/

To play my HD DVDs in Windows Media Player on Windows 10. Works great. Windows Media Player does not work with the menu systems on discs so you just play the movie file from the disc directly. ANYDVD is supposed to work with some versions of POWERDVD if you still want to use the menu system on the disc. What other options are currently still viable for us HD DVD owners?

Last edited by mercennarius; 12-01-2015 at 11:36 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 12-01-2015, 10:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 650 Post(s)
Liked: 432
Arcsoft's Total Media Theater has been discontinued, but you can still find it and it still works.

My basement media room and bar
Epson 2030, Onkyo TX-NR626, and Kodi based system

Mironto's Panasonic plasma black level restoration guide
Restore the initial MLL on a 2009 Panasonic plasma
post #3 of 11 Old 12-03-2015, 07:41 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by mercennarius View Post
We should create a list of software that still works with HD DVD's and what OS they are compatible with.

I am using Slysoft's ANYDVD HD(Free Trial Available):
http://www.slysoft.com/en/anydvdhd.html

And Media Player Codec Pack(FREE):
https://www.mediaplayercodecpack.com/

To play my HD DVDs in Windows Media Player on Windows 10. Works great. Windows Media Player does not work with the menu systems on discs so you just play the movie file from the disc directly. ANYDVD is supposed to work with some versions of POWERDVD if you still want to use the menu system on the disc. What other options are currently still viable for us HD DVD owners?
I believe MakeMKV will still transfer the HD-DVDs to lossless MKVs. I'll have to test it out on my next reboot when I can hook up my HD-DVD reader back up. Thanks for reminding me that I have an entire collection of HD-DVDs in the closet that need archiving before the drive dies.

post #4 of 11 Old 12-03-2015, 08:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 650 Post(s)
Liked: 432
I'd be more worried about converting them to MKV for the discs die. I have a number that won't play anymore.

My basement media room and bar
Epson 2030, Onkyo TX-NR626, and Kodi based system

Mironto's Panasonic plasma black level restoration guide
Restore the initial MLL on a 2009 Panasonic plasma
post #5 of 11 Old 12-05-2015, 01:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsoccer33 View Post
I'd be more worried about converting them to MKV for the discs die. I have a number that won't play anymore.
Definitely an issue with many HD DVDs, namely titles from Warner Bros. Not an issue with ALL HD DVD's though.
post #6 of 11 Old 12-11-2015, 05:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 271
I'm using MakeMKV to rip my HD-DVD collection as we speak. Strange thing is I'm doing it from my iMac with El Capitan loaded. iMac had no problem seeing the drive. HOWEVER, my shiny Windows 10 PC doesn't see a thing when I use my Microsoft branded 360 HD-DVD drive. I'm glad at least my iMac still sees and supports it.

AT HAMMOND ROBOTICS WE'RE BRINGING THE FUTURE ... HOME
PROTOCOL 3: PROTECT THE PILOT
post #7 of 11 Old 12-12-2015, 12:06 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Arcsoft's Total Media Theater has been discontinued, but you can still find it and it still works.
I have Total Media Theater, and it will still play back the discs, but I also have a new 4k tv and it will only playback the discs in the upper left corner, using the 1920 x 1080 area. It won't dynamically scale on the tv. I've tried some other bluray software (leawo's free bd player) and that works fine, playing the movies in the standard scaled up format. I'm wondering if there was some sort of hard coded assignment for the frame of the player. I've tried all the settings I could think of, but no luck.

If anyone has any ideas, please let me know.

Thanks
post #8 of 11 Old 12-16-2015, 12:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by laird47 View Post
I have Total Media Theater, and it will still play back the discs, but I also have a new 4k tv and it will only playback the discs in the upper left corner, using the 1920 x 1080 area. It won't dynamically scale on the tv. I've tried some other bluray software (leawo's free bd player) and that works fine, playing the movies in the standard scaled up format. I'm wondering if there was some sort of hard coded assignment for the frame of the player. I've tried all the settings I could think of, but no luck.

Thanks
TMT 6 seems to still playack HDDVD folders on Win7x64 on my new 4k-60Hz Monitor over displayport 1.2 interconnect anywhere on the screen with no restrictions on scaling the rendering window or window placement on the desktop.
post #9 of 11 Old 12-17-2015, 09:34 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Thanks, I'll see if I can get a copy.
post #10 of 11 Old 12-21-2015, 08:12 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by laird47 View Post
Quote:

Thanks
Leawo plays HD DVDs?
post #11 of 11 Old 02-16-2017, 11:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I've just gone through some hoops getting software to work. I found in my particular case that TMT6 paired with AnyDVD HD works very well. TMT5 worked without AnyDVD HD, but it had a video stutter every 3 seconds or so. I'm using an HP HD100 external HD DVD drive, and I'm not interested in ripping my discs. I just wanted reliable playback. TMT6 auto refresh rate and HDDVD bitstream seems to be working great. For some reason, TMT6 did not read the HD DVD natively.

My HTPC has an i5 6600K and a GTX 970, running Win 10 64-bit. TMT6 only runs once after startup; if I close the program, I need to restart the computer if I want to run it again.

Last edited by eapleitez; 02-16-2017 at 11:05 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HD DVD Software

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page