Store Demos of HD-DVD - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 02-14-2006, 07:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
It is my hope that the large name chain stores will have these HD-DVD or Blue-Ray players not set up incorrectly. Meaning to have them connected via Component or s-video instead of HDMI. Should this take place I fear that most people will take a look at the demos and wonder what is all the rave about this new technology. Not knowing that they are looking at a down rez picture because the store associate who may have very little knowledge themselves is convinced that it is HD simply because the player says HD as well as the display unit and thus is trying to convince the consumers.
We have already been down this path with HD display units and it continues in many of big name stores.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 02-14-2006, 09:32 AM
Advanced Member

You really think that there is not at least one pesrson at each store who knows what an HDMI cable is? Considering most big name retailers make a living selling cables you can be sure that they will at least be informed about that feature

I love this stuff!
post #3 of 10 Old 02-14-2006, 09:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by timfrommass
You really think that there is not at least one pesrson at each store who knows what an HDMI cable is? Considering most big name retailers make a living selling cables you can be sure that they will at least be informed about that feature
The last time I went to Best Buy, they were showing a stretched SD signal on all of their LCD flat panels, further degraded by a signal splitter going to something like 15 displays. Upon further investigation, less than half had component cables attached, and none were using VGA, DVI, or HDMI.

And the salesdroids were calling it HD.

"When I get sad I just stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story."
--Barney Stinson, How I Met Your Mother

Best. Surge Protector. Ever.
post #4 of 10 Old 02-14-2006, 12:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by timfrommass
There very well may be at least one person who has knowledge of HDMI in each of these stores. However, consider the fact that most customers are likely to come across the one that is not as well informed.
Another thing. Considering the cost of a typical HDMI cable (App. $99 and up) many stores will simply opt for what they deem the more economical way to display these new units.
post #5 of 10 Old 02-14-2006, 01:25 PM
AVS Special Member

I suspect what we'll probably see, at least at the start, is one specific display with a hd set hooked to an hd-dvd/blu-ray player via HDMI. They'll spring for one cable because they want to push the new format. But any other hd set in the store will be the usual crappy connections mentioned above.

DVD collection
LD collection

Congratulations. You have just discovered the secret message. Please send your answer to Old Pink, care of the Funny Farm, Chalfont.
post #6 of 10 Old 02-15-2006, 12:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dugpa
I suspect what we'll probably see, at least at the start, is one specific display with a hd set hooked to an hd-dvd/blu-ray player via HDMI.
That might not be bad ... should clearly show the difference.

Though, what they should really do is to get split screen of hd & dvd on a disk and play that.
post #7 of 10 Old 02-15-2006, 02:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by nataraj
Though, what they should really do is to get split screen of hd & dvd on a disk and play that.
If you need a split screen for the differences to be obvious, these formats are doomed.

See what an anamorphoscopic lens can do, see movies the way they were meant to be seen
post #8 of 10 Old 02-15-2006, 06:40 PM
AVS Special Member

I am waiting for Best Buy and CC to tell me that HDMI offers the viewer better picture quality than Component Video Inputs. I am also waiting for them to tell me that the new HD-DVDs and BR players will work just fine with my HDTV that only has component. When they do, they are going to buy me a new HDTV with HDMI after I throw a court order at them.
They are to stupid to realize that what they are doing is wrong, so I will make them pay.
post #9 of 10 Old 02-15-2006, 07:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89
If you need a split screen for the differences to be obvious, these formats are doomed.
I think the differences can be shown in a more dramatic fashion if they are on a split screen. Ofcourse TVs next to each other playing SD & HD version of the same movie would also be good - though very difficult to get them to play perfectly synchronized.
post #10 of 10 Old 02-15-2006, 07:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintit77
I am waiting for Best Buy and CC to tell me that HDMI offers the viewer better picture quality than Component Video Inputs. I am also waiting for them to tell me that the new HD-DVDs and BR players will work just fine with my HDTV that only has component. When they do, they are going to buy me a new HDTV with HDMI after I throw a court order at them.
They are to stupid to realize that what they are doing is wrong, so I will make them pay.
Unless I'm the judge, I doubt you will get that court order ;)
Closed Thread HD DVD Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page