HD-DVD Authoring to DVD -/+ Media - Page 13 - AVS Forum

AVS Forum > Blu-ray & HD DVD > HD DVD Software > HD-DVD Authoring to DVD -/+ Media

HD DVD Software

Marc D Carra's Avatar Marc D Carra
06:58 AM Liked: 10
post #361 of 1475
05-24-2006 | Posts: 1,174
Joseph,

I had Robots turn out perfectly. It was actually the first HD-DVD I made. I haven't tried any Galactica episodes yet. I can try Episode 2-13 tonight for you to see what happens.

Marc.
The Trout's Avatar The Trout
08:45 AM Liked: 10
post #362 of 1475
05-24-2006 | Posts: 74
I had a problem with a Galactica episode once because it was 1088i - because yes, in Ulead, that extra "8" makes all the difference. It tries to convert it down to 1080i, which is pretty much retarded.
Joseph Clark's Avatar Joseph Clark
09:09 AM Liked: 182
post #363 of 1475
05-24-2006 | Posts: 10,496
Most of my material has come from Dish. Even the failures report in H2M as 1920x1080i. I'll give the programs mentioned above a try to fix Battlestar. Interesting. Thanks.
10:01 AM Liked: 182
post #364 of 1475
Just a couple of positive notes about Movie Factory 5. Number one is that since I bought the program, the problem I was having with not being able to start a program from the beginning if I used menus is gone. It would start about 3 minutes in. That's history.

Another positive thing is that when you buy the program you get four more menu templates and a host of backgrounds, music and buttons. It's well worth the price.

The one step back is that the latest disc I burned from my own HDV footage has what looks like a field dominance issue. I get motion jitter on zooms and pans. I don't see any place to change that. Am I missing something after the reinstall that I set in the trial version? The Dish and OTA material is fine.
GodobeHD's Avatar GodobeHD
09:55 PM Liked: 10
post #365 of 1475
05-24-2006 | Posts: 745
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Clark View Post

Just a couple of positive notes about Movie Factory 5. Number one is that since I bought the program, the problem I was having with not being able to start a program from the beginning if I used menus is gone. It would start about 3 minutes in. That's history.

Another positive thing is that when you buy the program you get four more menu templates and a host of backgrounds, music and buttons. It's well worth the price.

The one step back is that the latest disc I burned from my own HDV footage has what looks like a field dominance issue. I get motion jitter on zooms and pans. I don't see any place to change that. Am I missing something after the reinstall that I set in the trial version? The Dish and OTA material is fine.

Joe, have you created a disk with menu on it and got it to play properly on HD-A1? Thanks.
11:54 PM Liked: 182
post #366 of 1475
Quote:
Originally Posted by GodobeHD View Post

Joe, have you created a disk with menu on it and got it to play properly on HD-A1? Thanks.

Yes and no. Before, when I tried to create a menu with the trial version, I could only get the video to start playing about 3 minutes in, not from the beginning. After I bought the full version, menus work fine, but I'm having a jitter problem with the video. This is with my own material shot on HDV. I haven't tried it with something recorded from Dish yet. The exact same HDV footage played without issue in the trial version, but it would start late every time. Now, all the chapters work, but the video jitters.

I'm going to try again with other footage and see what I can get.
07:01 AM Liked: 10
post #367 of 1475
05-25-2006 | Posts: 745
well, I have the same experience with the menu.
the full version and the trial seem to behave the same. I bet if you take out the menu to burn the HDV footage the jitters will go away.
Anyway MF5 appears to be teetering on the edge, I never know what crazy things it will do to the disk.
10:17 AM Liked: 182
post #368 of 1475
05-25-2006 | Posts: 10,496
Quote:
Originally Posted by GodobeHD View Post

well, I have the same experience with the menu.
the full version and the trial seem to behave the same. I bet if you take out the menu to burn the HDV footage the jitters will go away.
Anyway MF5 appears to be teetering on the edge, I never know what crazy things it will do to the disk.

It's very unpredictable. I just burned an episode of Battlestar Galactica with full menu/sub-menus and it worked just fine. Plays from the beginning and no jitter. I can't pick up on a pattern here. I think it must be MF5 issues.

Has anyone seen an update for MF5 yet? The ISO option is stilled grayed out in my version. The other odd things are vexing, too. Hopefully, an update may fix some of this. Is Ulead good about providing updates and bug fixes? I've never used their products more than just the look at a trial version.
Joe Linn's Avatar Joe Linn
11:42 AM Liked: 10
post #369 of 1475
05-25-2006 | Posts: 838
Quote:

Could you describe the jitter you see? I've burned several HD-DVDs of my own HD video shot with the Sony HC1. I'm using Ulead Video Studio 10 (which appears to be a superset of MF5). I see what looks like occasional skipped frames when I play the DVDs on the Toshiba. It seems to freeze for a split second several times a minute. If there isn't a lot of motion on screen, I might not see the artifact for a minute or more. The artifact I am seeing isn't the sort of constant thing I would expect if I were having a field dominance issue. I've tried varying the bit rate. I've tried using both DVD+R and DVD-R. I've tried using video I have edited. I've tried using unedited video directly from the camera. In all cases, I still see the occasional skipped frames.

Has anyone else seen this sort of artifact? Has anyone found a fix?

I'd love to be able to put the video I have shot on HD-DVD rather than DVHS, but the skipped frames get pretty distracting. I'm really hoping to find a fix or work-around.

Thanks!

Joe
goldypoker's Avatar goldypoker
12:50 PM Liked: 10
post #370 of 1475
05-25-2006 | Posts: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Linn View Post

Could you describe the jitter you see? I've burned several HD-DVDs of my own HD video shot with the Sony HC1. I'm using Ulead Video Studio 10 (which appears to be a superset of MF5). I see what looks like occasional skipped frames when I play the DVDs on the Toshiba. It seems to freeze for a split second several times a minute. If there isn't a lot of motion on screen, I might not see the artifact for a minute or more. The artifact I am seeing isn't the sort of constant thing I would expect if I were having a field dominance issue. I've tried varying the bit rate. I've tried using both DVD+R and DVD-R. I've tried using video I have edited. I've tried using unedited video directly from the camera. In all cases, I still see the occasional skipped frames.

I'd love to be able to put the video I have shot on HD-DVD rather than DVHS, but the skipped frames get pretty distracting. I'm really hoping to find a fix or work-around.

Thanks!

Joe

Have you tried producing your video using the "double pass" feature.? Maybe it is a result of an "inferior" single pass production? I am assuming that Ulead VS 10 also has this option, since it appears on MF5.
I also experience slight jitters during playback of motion scenes...maybe this will do the trick? When I try it, if it works, Ill let you know....
01:25 PM Liked: 182
post #371 of 1475
05-25-2006 | Posts: 10,496
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Linn View Post

I'm guessing, but the jitter that I'm experiencing appears to be a field dominance issue. It's not an occasional skipped frame. It's a persistent doubling of the image in pans and with laterally moving subjects. It's hard to tell if MF5 is doing conversion with this subject matter with menus, because the menus always slow the process to a crawl compared to not using menus. It has to create the motion menu miniature clips for each chapter and that takes some time. When I don't use menus, the video processes into EVO files so quickly, it's not possible that MF5 is doing video conversion. The exact same video clip plays perfectly if I don't use menus. The clip was edited using Adobe Premiere 1.5 with Aspect HD plug-in. I don't use Ulead for any editing (of HDV). I have been using the trial of MPEG-VCR for editing, and it gives me consistently good results.

I'm going to try to capture Robots again today on HBO. It's a really fun film, so I'm hoping I can get it to process. So far, after two attempts, MF5 just sit-spins when I try to load in the file.

Joe
12:04 AM Liked: 182
post #372 of 1475
05-26-2006 | Posts: 10,496
Here's an anomaly I thought I'd report while it's still fresh in my mind. While trying to create an HD DVD of the Battlestar Galactica Miniseries, I edited out a single frame from the start of the first part of the show (in MF5, not MPEG-VCR). When I tried to create the disc, it insisted on doing a conversion. I tried the second part of the miniseries, which I had also converted to MPEG. It was fine. So, I went back and did exactly the same thing, except this time I didn't edit out the first frame in MF5. It created the folder without converting the video. There are definitely some odd bugs in MF5.
aaronwt's Avatar aaronwt
05:55 AM Liked: 830
post #373 of 1475
05-26-2006 | Posts: 22,042
Is there a way to put the 5.1 sound on these discs or can it only be in LPCM stereo?
Marc D Carra's Avatar Marc D Carra
06:58 AM Liked: 10
post #374 of 1475
05-26-2006 | Posts: 1,174
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

Is there a way to put the 5.1 sound on these discs or can it only be in LPCM stereo?

If the source is 5.1, the resulting HD-DVD has a 5.1 track, which BTW, shows up as DD+ on the player for some reason.

Marc.
07:24 AM Liked: 10
post #375 of 1475
05-26-2006 | Posts: 745
yes, that seems to be the case.
but all my HDV clips are LPCM 2ch and it won't transmit thru the digital output on HD-A1. Does anybody know if there is a way to convert the LPCM to a 5.1 in MF5?
1st on the Block's Avatar 1st on the Block
07:36 AM Liked: 10
post #376 of 1475
05-26-2006 | Posts: 266
All of the HD DVDs I've created with VideoStudio 10 have not been able to play audio over toslink. The receiver has no idea what it's dealing with. They play flawlessly through the ext 5.1 analog output from the A1. Retail HD DVDs play over toslink. ANy ideas what I may be doing. Most projects are 1080i, so VS10 is not reauthoring, I use mpeg-vcr to convert the .ts file and leave audio settings alone there as well.
Mooneyass's Avatar Mooneyass
01:14 PM Liked: 10
post #377 of 1475
05-27-2006 | Posts: 1,328
Of the successful guys here, what burner are you using?

My Lite-on and LG burners dont allow selection of book type. For the $40 I'll go grab a Pioneer if they are working.

Thanks,

Wes
The Trout's Avatar The Trout
01:18 PM Liked: 10
post #378 of 1475
05-27-2006 | Posts: 74
I'm using an external Lite-On and it works great.
aaronwt's Avatar aaronwt
01:51 PM Liked: 830
post #379 of 1475
05-27-2006 | Posts: 22,042
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooneyass View Post

My Lite-on and LG burners dont allow selection of book type. For the $40 I'll go grab a Pioneer if they are working.

Thanks,

Wes

You have to download the bitsetting program from LiteOn. Then once you set it for each disc type it stays that way until you update the firmware then you have to do it again. My 4 LiteOn drives and 2 BENQ drives work fine.
Hyrax's Avatar Hyrax
03:59 PM Liked: 17
post #380 of 1475
05-27-2006 | Posts: 2,572
I'm using the Nec 3550, last time I looked they were $30 in OEM versions. Works well with DVD +R & DVD -R, but I've not tried burning a DL disk yet.
Hyrax's Avatar Hyrax
04:06 PM Liked: 17
post #381 of 1475
05-27-2006 | Posts: 2,572
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1st on the Block View Post

All of the HD DVDs I've created with VideoStudio 10 have not been able to play audio over toslink. The receiver has no idea what it's dealing with. They play flawlessly through the ext 5.1 analog output from the A1. Retail HD DVDs play over toslink. ANy ideas what I may be doing. Most projects are 1080i, so VS10 is not reauthoring, I use mpeg-vcr to convert the .ts file and leave audio settings alone there as well.

I don't think you're doing anything wrong. If you're sending the audio as a bitstream I believe the A1 is trying to convert it to DTS, and there is a problem in the conversion process unless the original audio is DD+. My receiver doesn't handle DTS very well, so I have to send the audio from even commercial disks to my receivre via the 5.1 analog inputs. However, the good thing is that everyone tells me that this results in better audio.
1st on the Block's Avatar 1st on the Block
07:51 PM Liked: 10
post #382 of 1475
05-27-2006 | Posts: 266
I'm using a Plextor 716 and a Lite-On burner with no problems. By the way, DVD decrypter and Nero both have bit setting properties in the options.
subbedout's Avatar subbedout
08:13 PM Liked: 10
post #383 of 1475
05-27-2006 | Posts: 217
I've tried authoring the Elephant Dream program (great download, by the way, thanks to the guy posting recoding it in the original thread) and MF5 wants to convert the video. For kicks, I gave it a few of the programs I've recorded from HDTV and it worked fine. The difference? ED is at 24fps and the rest are at 29.97fps. I have the trial version and it doesn't allow me to change the frame rate, although I've checked the box where it says not to convert legitimate MPEG files.

FWIW, I had joined the clips together with VideoRedo+, but the other programs I have were edited with that also.
11:13 PM Liked: 182
post #384 of 1475
05-27-2006 | Posts: 10,496
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooneyass View Post

Thanks,

Wes

All the burners I've tried work OK with single layer discs. For double layer, Plextor 750a works fine; external Mad Dog works fine (if I set the boot type to DVD-ROM in Nero). No go for any Pioneer burners (108,109,110) or Toshiba burner (but it doesn't burn any double layer disc well).

Nero will let you set book type if the burner allows it. If not, the option won't appear. I've read that Pioneer burners set book type of double layer discs to DVD-ROM in firmware, but no double layer disc I've burned works in my A1. No option to set book type appears in Nero, nor does it appear for the Plextor burner, but it does set the book type to DVD-ROM. Discs I've burned with the Pioneer burners report a book type of DVD-ROM, but they still aren't recognized by the Toshiba.
WiFi-Spy's Avatar WiFi-Spy
11:34 PM Liked: 34
post #385 of 1475
05-27-2006 | Posts: 2,312
Quote:

All the burners I've tried work OK with single layer discs. For double layer, Plextor 750a works fine; external Mad Dog works fine (if I set the boot type to DVD-ROM in Nero). No go for any Pioneer burners (108,109,110) or Toshiba burner (but it doesn't burn any double layer disc well).

Nero will let you set book type if the burner allows it. If not, the option won't appear. I've read that Pioneer burners set book type of double layer discs to DVD-ROM in firmware, but no double layer disc I've burned works in my A1. No option to set book type appears in Nero, nor does it appear for the Plextor burner, but it does set the book type to DVD-ROM. Discs I've burned with the Pioneer burners report a book type of DVD-ROM, but they still aren't recognized by the Toshiba.

You dont want the book type set to DVD-Rom, you want it set to DVD+R DL
08:32 AM Liked: 182
post #386 of 1475
05-28-2006 | Posts: 10,496
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiFi-Spy View Post

That doesn't work on my burns.
WiFi-Spy's Avatar WiFi-Spy
02:39 PM Liked: 34
post #387 of 1475
05-28-2006 | Posts: 2,312
Quote:

That doesn't work on my burns.

Try using Nero to burn the HD DVD to an Image file. Then use DVD-Decrypter/ImgBurn
to burn the image.
05:57 PM Liked: 182
post #388 of 1475
05-28-2006 | Posts: 10,496
Quote:

Try using Nero to burn the HD DVD to an Image file. Then use DVD-Decrypter/ImgBurn
to burn the image.

I might try that, but it would add an extra step to a process that already involves quite a few. So far, I've had no bad burns with the Plextor or Mad Dog burners to double layer. How is doing it that way different than going through Nero alone?

If it works, though, it would make the Pioneer burners available for the job, too. That would allow me to create HD DVDs on more than one or two systems.
Joe Linn's Avatar Joe Linn
09:24 PM Liked: 10
post #389 of 1475
05-28-2006 | Posts: 838
I've been trying everything I can think of and I always get the skipping I have described. Around 2 or 3 times a minute, there is about a 1/10 second freeze frame then the video skips to where it would have been without the freeze frame.

Has anyone else noticed that, or am I the only one having the problem? Is everyone else producing perfect HD-DVDs with no freezing or skipping?

I have tried video I shot on the Sony HC1. I've used video from HBO. I've used DVD+R and DVD-R. I enabled two pass encoding. I used two different burning programs (Nero and 1 Click DVD Copy). The results are always the same. I have burned multiple DVDs from the same DVD folder on my hard disk. All disks burned from the same folder skip in the same places. That seems to indicate it is in the HDVD_TS folder itself. I haven't seen any skipping on the HD-DVD movies I have bought.

I'd appreciate any suggestions, ideas, or comments. I really want to make this work.

Thanks!

Joe
aaronwt's Avatar aaronwt
09:28 PM Liked: 830
post #390 of 1475
05-28-2006 | Posts: 22,042
Quote:

I have all my burners set to DVD Rom and they play fine in the HD DVD drive when I used HD DVD in Ulead MF5 and using Nero to burn.

Reply HD DVD Software

Subscribe to this Thread