Advertisement

post #452 of 1475 Old 06-04-2006, 08:27 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
For those interested, the INHD tune-up is on alt.binaries.hdtv.repost on 6/2

Another little tidbit. I have found that MF5 works a lot faster when I have the source files on my secondary "D" drive (the main program is installed on the "C" drive).
post #453 of 1475 Old 06-04-2006, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Can anyone recommend a free news reader? Also, I'd be more than happy to host these files if they are not copyrighted so if someone has them PM me so we can arrange to upload them to my server.

Wes

I hate Sony. I love BD. I hate Sony...

My Blog
post #454 of 1475 Old 06-04-2006, 10:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by brosnan View Post

Some of you may be interested to know about this site: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/win...d/default.aspx
It offers some tools for and examples of interactive content for HD-DVDs.

Brosnan -
I downloaded this a few weeks ago, but have yet to install it. If you've gone through the documentation, can you tell me if it tells you how to access content on the Internet?

If I read the HD-A1 documentation correctly, it is possible for disks to contain links to Internet sites for various purposes, including playing trailers. I'm thinking that this feature could be used to play movies on your local network. Thus, you could just load your HD movies onto your computer and play them without needing to burn disks. Now all I need to do is figure out how to do it
post #455 of 1475 Old 06-04-2006, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyrax View Post

Brosnan -
can you tell me if it tells you how to access content on the Internet?

There's no explicit mention of this in the help files (viewable here ). But the XML format examples contain things like

which make me wonder if you could point to remote URLs.

Mike
post #456 of 1475 Old 06-04-2006, 01:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

come on guys some one cough it up, thanks a bunch Cal, but I don't use newsgroups

someone must have the HDNet test pattern .ts file for someone to host ? I had it but can't find it

this would be a great way to test our Toshiba's and even compare the HDMI to Component output

-Gary
post #457 of 1475 Old 06-04-2006, 02:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Murrell View Post

come on guys some one cough it up, thanks a bunch Cal, but I don't use newsgroups

someone must have the HDNet test pattern .ts file for someone to host ? I had it but can't find it

this would be a great way to test our Toshiba's and even compare the HDMI to Component output

-Gary

Gary,

I'm set up to record them this coming week. I used to have them for a while on my 921, but it went in the trade-in for the 622. Check me later this week if you don't have them by then. I'm goint to be burning an HD DVD of the patterns as soon as I get them.

Joe Clark

post #458 of 1475 Old 06-04-2006, 03:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by brosnan View Post

There's no explicit mention of this in the help files (viewable here ). But the XML format examples contain things like

which make me wonder if you could point to remote URLs.

Thanks for looking at it. I think you're right; it certainly does imply you can point to remote URLs. I need to check it out and perhaps get on some programming forums.
post #459 of 1475 Old 06-04-2006, 05:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 34
For all the mac users that want to convert the 1080p QT trailers to work on a HD DVD:

Open QT trailer with Mpeg Streamclip

Export to Quicktime, using Apple intermedite Codec 100% quality.

Use these settings for export:

note the X/Y Settings in the Zoom section

Set this 1.33 if the trailer is 2.35:1
Set this to 1.0 if the trailer is 16x9

Make sure you enter 23.97 for the frame rate

after the export is done open Compressor (comes with FCS)

Select HD DVD Mpeg2 as output fromat

Make sure you select AIFF as the audio format (there is a bug in the Dolby output that results in no audio)

picture of configuration:

then just bring the m2v and AIFF into your DSP4 HD DVD project!

BTW the Mpeg2 is 19Mb/s VBR with 27Mb/s Peak, so it should be transparent to the QT file.

Tyler Pruitt - Technical Liaison at SpectraCal
post #460 of 1475 Old 06-04-2006, 06:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Thanks Joe, you are a godsend

-Gary
post #461 of 1475 Old 06-04-2006, 06:46 PM

Gary, I have the full TS file (1.25 gig) as well as the 3 different patterns in mpg (.35 - .5 gig) pulled out with VideoRedo. I burned a test disk with 3 chapters (1 for each pattern). I just need to have a place to upload them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Murrell View Post

-Gary

...joe
post #462 of 1475 Old 06-04-2006, 08:56 PM
AVS Special Member

I'd be more than happy to host them, PM me.....

My Blog
post #463 of 1475 Old 06-04-2006, 09:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Thanks to another Joe, we are getting close guys , Mooney will host them, send him that PM

-Gary
post #464 of 1475 Old 06-04-2006, 10:19 PM
AVS Special Member

We should all post torrents as soon as we get it too. Just looked at my hosting and I get 200GB/month so I'd guess we'll use it up pretty quick.

My Blog
post #465 of 1475 Old 06-04-2006, 10:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

edit

-Gary
post #466 of 1475 Old 06-04-2006, 10:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by joewmaki View Post

Gary, I have the full TS file (1.25 gig) as well as the 3 different patterns in mpg (.35 - .5 gig) pulled out with VideoRedo. I burned a test disk with 3 chapters (1 for each pattern). I just need to have a place to upload them.

why is the pattern that big? is their nulls?

Tyler Pruitt - Technical Liaison at SpectraCal
post #467 of 1475 Old 06-04-2006, 10:53 PM

Did anyone else do the firmware update and lose the ability to play your "homemade" HDDVD's over HDMI like I did? They start to play and I get the dreaded "HDMI Error 1" message.
post #468 of 1475 Old 06-04-2006, 11:11 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked: 830
I'll have to check. I didn't try any after the update.

40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #469 of 1475 Old 06-05-2006, 12:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbucky View Post

Did anyone else do the firmware update and lose the ability to play your "homemade" HDDVD's over HDMI like I did? They start to play and I get the dreaded "HDMI Error 1" message.

Wow, this would be a killer for me. It's the main reason I bought the A1. I haven't done an update and if this is how they "update", I never will.

Joe Clark

post #470 of 1475 Old 06-05-2006, 12:20 AM

I updated my player last night and the first disc I played was one I'd burned earlier with MF5...
post #471 of 1475 Old 06-05-2006, 07:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Crap, I havent checked yet either......

My Blog
post #472 of 1475 Old 06-05-2006, 08:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That's what I was afraid of, and why I will never 'update' I'm enjoying my home-made HD-DVDS far too much.

Marc.

MDC
post #473 of 1475 Old 06-05-2006, 09:58 AM

My burned HD-DVDs have played just fine.

Okay, that's a partial lie - my single-layers played just fine. My dual-layers played fine for the first layer and then crapped out at the layer change. Then again, I've only burned, like, two dual-layer discs, so I don't consider this a deal breaker. It also could've been an isolated incident with just that disc.
post #474 of 1475 Old 06-05-2006, 11:44 AM
Advanced Member

I'm still battling the video skipping on my HD DVDs that I described earlier. I thought maybe the Ulead forum would be a good place for help with that. If you want to see something that will make you never look for help there, check out this thread: http://phpbb.ulead.com.tw/EN/viewtopic.php?t=14328 . I described my problem (several short video skips per minute). I exlained that they were not present in my source mpeg file. I explained that I got VS10 to just mux and not re-encode. I explained that if I viewed the EVO files directly from hard disk, they skipped in exactly the same places so I think it is unlikely that the problem is with reading the DVDs.

First I got told that this was impossible. Then I got told that DVDs cannot spin fast enough to carry HD data. I repeated that I could play the EVO files directly from hard disk and they skipped also. I got told if I wanted to play files on my PC, I should just play MPEG files and not EVO files. I explained I was playing them for diagnostic purposes. An especially "helpful" person posted that although he hadn't read this entire thread, I had clearly misunderstood because this AVS thread was about burning Divx files as data to a DVD and playing it with a Linc player. I presisted trying for help, explaining what this thread was about and what I was doing. The "helpful" guy posted again that he tried the steps I outlined and got the same skipping when he viewed the EVO file. But he said he needed to rename the EVO to MPG, which is not legit, so that was my problem. He also said that any burner program would downres the EVO file and even so the data rate was too high for a standard DVD. He concluded with "This may turn out to be another Internet "legend" that will soon be disproved."

The folks on that thread have been much more intent on proving that I was trying to do something that I shouldn't be doing rather than on helping with the problem. That is unfortunate.

So I'm back here with a couple questions. For the folks who are generating files with no skipping, is anyone using Video Studio or is everybody using Movie Factory? Somebody at the Ulead forum suggested that their EVO creation code might be different between the two products.

Second, is there anyone who is NOT having skipping problems willing to try a couple seconds of my video and to see if they are able to generate files without skipping? I could either mail a data DVD with the mpeg file or if there is somewhere I could FTP it, I could do that.

And last, if anyone would be inspired to post to the Ulead thread explaining this isn't an urban legend, perhaps someone will take the thread seriously and try to help.

Thanks!

Joe

-edit-
ps. Since I wrote that, other folks have joined and tried to find solutions. The one guy still keeps insisting it can't or shouldn't be done.
post #475 of 1475 Old 06-05-2006, 03:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Linn View Post

I'm still battling the video skipping on my HD DVDs that I described earlier. I thought maybe the Ulead forum would be a good place for help with that. If you want to see something that will make you never look for help there, check out this thread: http://phpbb.ulead.com.tw/EN/viewtopic.php?t=14328 . I described my problem (several short video skips per minute). I exlained that they were not present in my source mpeg file. I explained that I got VS10 to just mux and not re-encode. I explained that if I viewed the EVO files directly from hard disk, they skipped in exactly the same places so I think it is unlikely that the problem is with reading the DVDs.

First I got told that this was impossible. Then I got told that DVDs cannot spin fast enough to carry HD data. I repeated that I could play the EVO files directly from hard disk and they skipped also. I got told if I wanted to play files on my PC, I should just play MPEG files and not EVO files. I explained I was playing them for diagnostic purposes. An especially "helpful" person posted that although he hadn't read this entire thread, I had clearly misunderstood because this AVS thread was about burning Divx files as data to a DVD and playing it with a Linc player. I presisted trying for help, explaining what this thread was about and what I was doing. The "helpful" guy posted again that he tried the steps I outlined and got the same skipping when he viewed the EVO file. But he said he needed to rename the EVO to MPG, which is not legit, so that was my problem. He also said that any burner program would downres the EVO file and even so the data rate was too high for a standard DVD. He concluded with "This may turn out to be another Internet "legend" that will soon be disproved."

The folks on that thread have been much more intent on proving that I was trying to do something that I shouldn't be doing rather than on helping with the problem. That is unfortunate.

So I'm back here with a couple questions. For the folks who are generating files with no skipping, is anyone using Video Studio or is everybody using Movie Factory? Somebody at the Ulead forum suggested that their EVO creation code might be different between the two products.

Second, is there anyone who is NOT having skipping problems willing to try a couple seconds of my video and to see if they are able to generate files without skipping? I could either mail a data DVD with the mpeg file or if there is somewhere I could FTP it, I could do that.

And last, if anyone would be inspired to post to the Ulead thread explaining this isn't an urban legend, perhaps someone will take the thread seriously and try to help.

Thanks!

Joe

-edit-
ps. Since I wrote that, other folks have joined and tried to find solutions. The one guy still keeps insisting it can't or shouldn't be done.

Joe,

I skimmed that Ulead support area, too, and it didn't look to be that helpful.

To answer your questions, I'm using MF5, not VS10, so I don't know if they are substantially different in how they go about creating the files. I use Adobe Premiere for all my editing and create .m2t files from within Premiere.

I don't know how much help a couple of seconds would be in diagnosing your problem. I'd be happy to test some of your file footage, but you'll probably have to send me at least a couple of minutes.

I think there is a solution to your problem, so don't give up. You should be able to get satisfactory results. I think I said it earlier in the thread: if I had tried a couple of my failed clips first, I might have given up on this process. Overall, though, it's very valuable and I love it. However, I'm still having the most trouble with movies. I tried to create an HD DVD of some of the Star Wars Sith movie from HBO last Saturday. I captured a clip of a minute + and it went through the process just fine and looked great. When I tried to do a one hour section, it took 5 hours to create some 12 chapter stops and at burn time it told me "The MPEG program stream is not compatible with this DVD engine."

I think what I need here is someone with a lot more technical expertise than I have with MPEG formats to take a look at the files and see if there are substantial differences between files that succeed and files that don't. It could be that the only difference is how MF5 chooses to handle certain files. I just don't have to tools or the expertise to diagnose the problem.

Balazer, are you still reading this thread?

Joe Clark

post #476 of 1475 Old 06-05-2006, 04:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

I updated the firmware on my HD-A1 to 1.2 over the weekend and just played my homemade disk (created with firmware 1.0) of Batman Begins (from HBO-HD) and it played just fine over HDMI.

HDTV Early Adopter
post #477 of 1475 Old 06-05-2006, 04:17 PM

Quote:

No, so far all my burnt HD DVDs have worked and the dual layer discs play 1st try instead of ejecting and trying again and again.

Pete

The endless pursuit of perfection..or my idea of it anyways........
post #478 of 1475 Old 06-05-2006, 04:22 PM

I'm using VS 10+. When VS does not re-encode I have no problems. When it re-encodes from 720p or 1280x1080i, I get lip synch issues, video stutter and skips every few seconds. I'm not sure if I want to update the software because I have Blu-ray creation capabilities and image creation in my version.

Pete

The endless pursuit of perfection..or my idea of it anyways........
post #479 of 1475 Old 06-05-2006, 07:28 PM

Do you guys still want the test pattern? I have it and am willing to upload it, I have plenty of space and Bandwidth.
post #480 of 1475 Old 06-05-2006, 07:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1st on the Block View Post

I'm using VS 10+. When VS does not re-encode I have no problems. When it re-encodes from 720p or 1280x1080i, I get lip synch issues, video stutter and skips every few seconds. I'm not sure if I want to update the software because I have Blu-ray creation capabilities and image creation in my version.

Hey, Pete,

Since you have Blu-ray capability, could you do a test and see what sort of files MovieFactory 5 likes? Does it handle native .ts files? If so, is it more or less forgiving than it is for HD DVD? I'm really curious about this. It would make Blu-ray disc creation one step easier, and one day I'm going to have a combo player (if both formats survive).

Joe Clark

Reply HD DVD Software

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page