post #901 of 1475 Old 07-04-2006, 09:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Gouger View Post

Did you grab the Incredibles off Starz. If so its Mpeg4.

I think we're close to being ready to post the guide as a sticky, Alan. I'm going to work on the screen caps, but I wanted a good text version first. I think the only thing that's really missing at this point is the link to texmex's HDPatch utility. That's not working in the guide right now.

Does anyone have other changes, additions, corrections?

Joe Clark

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 1475 Old 07-04-2006, 11:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Gouger View Post

Did you grab the Incredibles off Starz. If so its Mpeg4.

Hmm... I have no idea where this cap is from. There's no channel logo and I haven't noticed any cuts for ads. It begins with a Dolby Digital intro, which some silly bugger has added in later on. Filesize is 5.96GB, which does seem very low for a two-hour movie. HDTV2MPEG has no problem handling the file, and VS10+ eats the VideoReDo-created MPEG-2 Program Stream clip without re-encoding.

However, there's something a bit 'off' about the stream. After importing a clip into Disc Creator, I clicked on the 'i' symbol to get the clip's properties.

VS10+ lists video as "MPEG-2 Video" -- no mention of Upper Field or Lower Field First. Audio is reported as "Dolby Digital Audio" -- no mention of 2.0 or 5.1.

It's like VS10+ almost understands what streams it's been given, but not quite.

Please, feel free to call me by my first name, Petri.
post #903 of 1475 Old 07-04-2006, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Joe,

I have the HDPatch utility on my webhotel's server, and don't think my ISP minds if some folks grab it from there. Direct link to the file is

http://www.saitti.org/temppi/HDPatch_0_2_02.zip

post #904 of 1475 Old 07-04-2006, 12:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Sincere apologies if this is mentioned elsewhere.

I was looking to make a compilation disc of some of the quicktime trailers. Is there a guide that tells you how to do that?

"I have never seen it, but by all accounts it is terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built, and it is terrific." - Michael Caine, on Jaws the Revenge
post #905 of 1475 Old 07-04-2006, 12:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalfreakNYC View Post

I was looking to make a compilation disc of some of the quicktime trailers. Is there a guide that tells you how to do that?

I think both MF5 and VS10+ are able to import Quicktime, but will then encode them to MPEG2 using their own internal encoders.

post #906 of 1475 Old 07-04-2006, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodobeHD View Post

At the same time Ulead pulled out the Blu-ray in MF5 it put it in Sony Blu-ray drive. The new Sony PC with the Blu-ray burner comes with Ulead Blu-ray authoring software. Go figure why new MF5 doesn't have Blu-ray features anymore...

Just tried the Ulead BD DiscRecoder 2.5 software that comes with the Sony BD laptop. It does indeed look a lot like MF5. Version 2.5 only allows BluRay authoring (no HD-DVD) and only allows 1440x1080 resolution max. It will burn directly to BD but not to DVD+R. In fact, it won't write to a folder like MF5 (but you can read the files off a BD writeable disc after a burn).

I succeeded at writing a real BD disc with the test pattern from post #316 . It played correctly on the bundled Intervideo WINDVD BD for VAIO player, although the resolution was not so good due to conversion to 1440x1080.

So I tried another shot at a dual format disc (BD+HDVDVD on DVD+R). I used pteittinen's method (
post #883
) and put both the HVDVD_TS (from MF5) folder and the BDAV folder (from BD DR 2.5 ) at the top level. While at it I also added a "SOURCE" folder and put the avi and mpg files I used as the source in it so regular PCs could play it with VLC.

Result:
Toshiba HD-A1 - success, plays fine
Sony AR190 laptop - failure - the player software spins up the DVD+R, then does nothing
Samsung BD player - don't know, don't have one

Mike
post #907 of 1475 Old 07-04-2006, 01:15 PM
AVS Special Member

brosnan, nice job with the testing, though I hope someone else is paying for the BD media you're using =)

post #908 of 1475 Old 07-04-2006, 01:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pteittinen View Post

I think both MF5 and VS10+ are able to import Quicktime, but will then encode them to MPEG2 using their own internal encoders.

Thank you very much! I'm testing now.

I see it doesn't support 5.1 though. Any way around this?

"I have never seen it, but by all accounts it is terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built, and it is terrific." - Michael Caine, on Jaws the Revenge
post #909 of 1475 Old 07-04-2006, 01:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I see it doesn't support 5.1 though. Any way around this?

VS10+ supports Dolby Digital 5.1. The MF5 I have doesn't, but others have reported success with it.

post #910 of 1475 Old 07-04-2006, 03:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

VS10+ supports Dolby Digital 5.1. The MF5 I have doesn't, but others have reported success with it.

the mf5 i have doesn't either. do we know which version does?

*ducks* what is VS10?

post #911 of 1475 Old 07-04-2006, 03:24 PM
AVS Special Member

VS10+ is Ulead VideoStudio 10+.

I think, when it comes to MF5, the version number does not tell all. The application comes bundled with various hardware (DVD writers, mostly) and I'm quite sure there are several OEM versions of it -- and each one might differ from the others in it's feature set. So you might find two MF5s, both with the same version number down to the last digit, but one might have a feature the other one does not.

post #912 of 1475 Old 07-04-2006, 03:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Does anyone know why MF5 and VS10+ are way slower with some MPEG2 files?

By this I mean you might have two 3GB program streams, both with identical properties (resolution, audio etc.), but one of them imports into the Disc Creator practically immediately, and the other one takes several minutes?

Case in point, I finally managed to solve the problem I had with The Incredibles and have created a program stream MPEG2. Now, when I start VS10+'s Disc Creator, click the Add Video Files icon, and select the stream in the dialog window, my HDD goes apes***. It takes my PC ~5 minutes before I can actually click the OK button. After that the app again takes several minutes to display the first frame of the stream. If I enter Project settings, then return, the app again takes several minutes before I can click the Next> button.

Now, I've used other MPEG2 streams about the same size, but they behaved much better. Adding a file took only a few seconds instead of several minutes.

The only difference I can see lies in the file's Info properties (Info button in the file selection window and the "i" symbol in Disc Creator's main window). Of The Incredibles VS10+ says only "MPEG-2 Video" -- no mention of whether it's Upper Field First or Lower Field First. Audio is listed as "Dolby Digital Audio" only. No "2.0" or "5.1", IOW.

Can anybody shed any light on this?

post #913 of 1475 Old 07-04-2006, 04:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Does anyone know why MF5 and VS10+ are way slower with some MPEG2 files?

By this I mean you might have two 3GB program streams, both with identical properties (resolution, audio etc.), but one of them imports into the Disc Creator practically immediately, and the other one takes several minutes?

Case in point, I finally managed to solve the problem I had with The Incredibles and have created a program stream MPEG2. Now, when I start VS10+'s Disc Creator, click the Add Video Files icon, and select the stream in the dialog window, my HDD goes apes***. It takes my PC ~5 minutes before I can actually click the OK button. After that the app again takes several minutes to display the first frame of the stream. If I enter Project settings, then return, the app again takes several minutes before I can click the Next> button.

Now, I've used other MPEG2 streams about the same size, but they behaved much better. Adding a file took only a few seconds instead of several minutes.

The only difference I can see lies in the file's Info properties (Info button in the file selection window and the "i" symbol in Disc Creator's main window). Of The Incredibles VS10+ says only "MPEG-2 Video" -- no mention of whether it's Upper Field First or Lower Field First. Audio is listed as "Dolby Digital Audio" only. No "2.0" or "5.1", IOW.

Can anybody shed any light on this?

I've asked this basic question before and no one has come up with a clear answer. texmex said he'd be willing to look at the files when he's free again. We'll have to provide him with samples of files that load quickly and ones that don't. I had a similar situation today trying to create an HD DVD of Shrek 2. MF5 choked and, after the long load, wanted to "convert video." I tried Antz (another PDI/Dreamworks title, and it loaded fast and didn't re-encode. I did an MPEG2Repair on Shrek 2 and found numerous errors. I've set up to capture it again.

Joe Clark

post #914 of 1475 Old 07-04-2006, 04:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

MPEG2Repair fixed Shrek 2 and allowed MF5 to load it in quickly. It's burning now. I've not had success with all damaged files, but it is a solution that works for some. Apparently, MF5 doesn't deal well with MPEGs with a lot of errors.

Joe Clark

post #915 of 1475 Old 07-04-2006, 04:38 PM
AVS Special Member

this is kinda a side question: why the hell does Ulead have so many authoring programs?? There's Mf, VS and WS. They all do authoring?

post #916 of 1475 Old 07-04-2006, 04:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Clark View Post

MPEG2Repair fixed Shrek 2 and allowed MF5 to load it in quickly. It's burning now. I've not had success with all damaged files, but it is a solution that works for some. Apparently, MF5 doesn't deal well with MPEGs with a lot of errors.

I ran The Incredibles through Mpeg2Repair and it found zero errors, zilch, nada.

post #917 of 1475 Old 07-04-2006, 11:08 PM
AVS Special Member

OK so i added the quicktime films in there and they freeze on the first screen. even when i preview them, they stay on the "green" preview screen for the length of the trailer. Any way around this? Am i doing something wrong?

post #918 of 1475 Old 07-04-2006, 11:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I ran The Incredibles through Mpeg2Repair and it found zero errors, zilch, nada.

Now that I think about that, I'm pretty sure that happened to me before, but it was when I was having so many problems with so many movies I forgot. It would help if I knew exactly what happened to give me more success, but all I really did was uninstall the trial versions and install the full versions of MF5 and Womble. Since then, most of my projects have worked without issue - even the movies. Before, I could count on almost no movies working.

Joe Clark

post #919 of 1475 Old 07-05-2006, 05:09 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 576
Quote:

OK so i added the quicktime films in there and they freeze on the first screen. even when i preview them, they stay on the "green" preview screen for the length of the trailer. Any way around this? Am i doing something wrong?

This is the problem I have had when I've tried the quicktime trailers.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #920 of 1475 Old 07-05-2006, 06:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

This is the problem I have had when I've tried the quicktime trailers.

Have we figured out a work-around yet?

I noticed you guys went through all of this a few pages back. Apologies for not doing a thorough search. It's been months though. Surely someone has figured out a work-around.

post #921 of 1475 Old 07-05-2006, 08:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I've been able to burn DVD+R Double Layer media using the XBox compatible setting in Nero 6. Now I need to buy more DL media ...Do both DVD-R and DVD+R Double Layer media work? I noticed that the DVD-R DL from Ritek are 4X, while their +Rs are 2.4X. It would be nice if the faster media worked.
post #922 of 1475 Old 07-05-2006, 08:58 AM
AVS Special Member

My major problem seems to be that it takes forever for MF5 to read in certain video. Stuff that I recorded from Cable [QAM] stations with subchannels seems to be the problem. I don't know if it is becasuse of the lower bit rates or because of something else. It just took 1 hour and 42 minutes to load one of these videos, but it only took 15 minutes to create the HVDVD_TS folder. I have a 14 GB OTA recording of a football game that I made from a station without a substation and it loads in seconds. It also has twice the bitrate of the recording that loads so slowly.
post #923 of 1475 Old 07-05-2006, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyrax View Post

I've been able to burn DVD+R Double Layer media using the XBox compatible setting in Nero 6. Now I need to buy more DL media ...Do both DVD-R and DVD+R Double Layer media work? I noticed that the DVD-R DL from Ritek are 4X, while their +Rs are 2.4X. It would be nice if the faster media worked.

I was able to burn memorex +R DL at x 8 on my SONY , it was adverticed as x 2.4, same disc on the plextor 750 will burn at x 4. Verbatim claimed they could do it at x 16, but cost $3 a piece, no, thankyou.
post #924 of 1475 Old 07-05-2006, 09:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It just took 1 hour and 42 minutes to load one of these videos

Sounds like the app used that time to convert the file to another, more suitable format.

post #925 of 1475 Old 07-05-2006, 09:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by docchak View Post

I was able to burn memorex +R DL at x 8 on my SONY , it was adverticed as x 2.4, same disc on the plextor 750 will burn at x 4. Verbatim claimed they could do it at x 16, but cost $3 a piece, no, thankyou.

Burning a 2.4x specced disc at 4x or 8x is very risky. Burn quality suffers a lot, there's plenty more errors on the disc, and you run the risk of some drives (poorer, i.e. more picky ones) being unable to read its entire contents. Writer finishing the burn guarantees absolutely nothing.

post #926 of 1475 Old 07-05-2006, 09:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Sounds like the app used that time to convert the file to another, more suitable format.

It is definitely doing something, but it is not converting the format of the video. The resulting EVO file has exactly the same quality as the input file. Perhaps it is inserting missing bits, padding data buffers, removing an extra stream, or whatever. It is painfully slow.
post #927 of 1475 Old 07-05-2006, 10:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Any one using DVD-R DL disks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by docchak View Post

Thanks for the info, but I agree that it is dangerous to burn at faster than rated speeds with DL disks. If they cost $0.25 each like my SL disks I'd do it.

BTW, the Memorex DVD+R DL disks are Ritek, when I ID them this is what I get:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Unique Disc Identifier : [DVD+R-DL:RITEK-D01-001]
Disc Type : [DVD+R DL]
Manufacturer ID : [RITEK]
Manufacturer Name : [Ritek Co.]
Media Type ID : [D01]
Product Revision : [001]
Disc Application Code : [General Purpose]
Recording Speeds : [1x , 2.4x]
Blank Disc Capacity : [4,173,824 Sectors = 8,152.0MB = 7.96GB (8.55GB)]
[DVD Identifier - http://DVD.Identifier.CDfreaks.com]
post #928 of 1475 Old 07-05-2006, 10:04 AM

What about burning mpeg4 compliant files onto the disc?
post #929 of 1475 Old 07-05-2006, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

anyone on the quicktime issues?

post #930 of 1475 Old 07-05-2006, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It is definitely doing something, but it is not converting the format of the video. The resulting EVO file has exactly the same quality as the input file.

What do you use to view EVO files? I've yet to find any PC apps that play them properly. VLC and MPC play them without (5.1ch) audio, and VRD with glitching audio.

Quote:

Perhaps it is inserting missing bits, padding data buffers, removing an extra stream, or whatever.

I.e. converting the file to another, more suitable format

Reply HD DVD Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page