HD-DVD Authoring to DVD -/+ Media - Page 40 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1171 of 1475 Old 07-23-2006, 11:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well, it took a while, but here's an updated release of HDPatch. Although the interface may look exactly the same, the parsing engine in this release is completely different. Where version 0.2 searched for headers byte by byte (SLOW), this release jumps through files reading headers only. I also discovered that the .NET file access routines I was using were loaded with overhead and got about a 4x speed gain by switching to lower level streams.

Testing:
I've tested HDPatch 0.3.01 and compared output files against fix1088 and DVDPatcher output - the resulting files are bit for bit identical. I authored HD-DVD discs on DVD-RW using VS10+ in 1080i (1088 originals), 720p. All 6 test DVDs worked flawlessly on the Tosh, including 5.1 audio.

What Is HDPatch Used For:
HDPatch can be used to solve two problems in the MF5/VS10+ HD-DVD workflow.
- 1088 files: many streams from various sources are encoded with a vertical resolution of 1088 (i.e. 1920x1088 or 1280x1088). MF5/VS10+ does not recognize this as a valid HD-DVD resolution and will attempt to re-encode these streams. HDPatch will modify the stream headers to correct the resolution, changing the 1088 to 1080. Once "patched", MF5/VS10+ should process the stream without re-encoding. And don't worry - you're not losing 8 pixels of video. Those extra 8 pixels are usually grey filler. To use this feature, open your stream in HDPatch, choose Fix1088 from the "Preset Menu", and click "Patch Stream".
- 720p files: MF5/VS10+ do not recognize 720p as a valid HD-DVD format. They will attempt to re-encode 720p files during the authoring process. In order to avoid this, you can use HDPatch to "prep" a 720p file for authoring. Open your 720p stream in HDPatch, choose "Preset->720p->Pre-Patch 720p...", then click "Patch Stream". Now process as usual in MF5/VS10+. Once you've generated the HDDVD folder, open the *.EVO file in HDPatch, choose "Preset->720p->Post-Patch EVO/IFO..." then click "Patch Stream". Your 720p HD-DVD is now ready to burn.
- General MPEG patching: HDPatch can also be used for general MPEG header patching. Maybe a file is incorrectly flagged as 4:3 when it is actually 16:9. HDPatch can be used to correct the headers in such a file.

Downloading HDPatch:
You must right-click on the link below and choose "Save Target As..." to dowload the app. Left clicking doesn't seem to work on these forums. As always, let me know if you have questions/comments/issues. Please PM bug reports to me rather than cluttering the thread.

texmex

HDPatch_0_3_01.zip 153.43359375k . file
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1172 of 1475 Old 07-23-2006, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalfreakNYC View Post

Here's an error i just got using the HD patch:
Any idea what this is!?!

This was a bug in HDPatch 0.2. Try the latest release 0.3.01 (directly above) and let me know if you still have issues with that particular stream.
post #1173 of 1475 Old 07-24-2006, 12:01 AM

I've authored several HDV files (Sony HC1) to HD-DVD using VS10+ and audio dropouts are common with these discs, which others have reported here. In this particular case, I think the problem is due to the lack of support for MPEG audio in the HD-DVD spec (and the DVD spec for that matter). The HDV format uses 384kbps MPEG audio, and our current process retains this audio format on our discs. While many DVD players will play DVD's with MPEG audio, it is not a requirement in the DVD spec, and I'm assuming this is also true of HD-DVD. I took one of the "bad" streams, converted the audio to AC3 (using Sony Vegas), re-muxed with the original video and authored to HD-DVD in VS10+. This time the disc played flawlessly in the Tosh - video AND audio.

So, for those of you having audio issues on your HDV HD-DVD's, I recommend converting your audio to AC3 before authoring. Vegas works great, but if you're looking for something cheaper, try BeLight, which is open source and free. You'll need to demux, convert audio to AC3, then remux before authoring. If anyone is interested in more detailed instructions, let me know.

texmex
post #1174 of 1475 Old 07-24-2006, 12:43 AM

Is there anybody who can author a HD-DVD with AC-3 soundtrack with other manufacturers software than Uleads and post the IFO files? I need a way to check whether Ulead software marks the stream correctly in the IFO. It's pretty strange that the streams are displayed as DD+ in the OSD of the Toshiba. Thanks in advance!
post #1175 of 1475 Old 07-24-2006, 12:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by texmex View Post

Well, it took a while, but here's an updated release of HDPatch.

Nice work. Thank you, texmex.

Please, feel free to call me by my first name, Petri.
post #1176 of 1475 Old 07-24-2006, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evdberg View Post

Is there anybody who can author a HD-DVD with AC-3 soundtrack with other manufacturers software than Uleads and post the IFO files? I need a way to check whether Ulead software marks the stream correctly in the IFO. It's pretty strange that the streams are displayed as DD+ in the OSD of the Toshiba. Thanks in advance!

Actually, I don't think it's strange at all. I could be wrong, but I think that AC-3 (2.0 and 5.1 DD) is a subset of DD+. In other words, a valid AC-3 configuration is also valid in the DD+ spec. So when we put our custom HD-DVD in the player, it recognizes the disc as HD-DVD, and sees the audio as DD+, which is expected according to HD-DVD specs. That's my take on it anyway...

texmex
post #1177 of 1475 Old 07-24-2006, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterS View Post

Why would VS10+ ALWAYS insist upon re-encoding a file?

I have given the same exact file to MF5 and it does not need to re-encode it.

Any ideas?

Do you have "Do not convert compliant MPEG..." checked in your project properties?
post #1178 of 1475 Old 07-24-2006, 07:12 AM

Quote:

I could be wrong, but I think that AC-3 (2.0 and 5.1 DD) is a subset of DD+.

On Blu-Ray this might be true, because there a DD+ track needs to have a DD core (because a DD+ decoder is not mandatory in the player). On HD-DVD this is not the case. I do not have any commercial disks with a DD track, but maybe somebody else with such a disk can look what the OSD says when a DD track is played?

See also comment of Krobar in post 1174:
Quote:

I think this is more likely a bug with DVD MF as the Tosh can play Dolby Digital soundtracks on retail releases like Perfect Storm.

post #1179 of 1475 Old 07-24-2006, 07:15 AM

Quote:

Anyone else have the problem with VS10+ always wanting to re-encode the video file regardless of what you tell it?

My guess is you select the movie-clip either in the Movie wizard or in the movie editor. The trick is to select the movie-clip in the 'Create Disk' section.
post #1180 of 1475 Old 07-24-2006, 07:28 AM

Quote:

On Blu-Ray this might be true, because there a DD+ track needs to have a DD core (because a DD+ decoder is not mandatory in the player). On HD-DVD this is not the case. I do not have any commercial disks with a DD track, but maybe somebody else with such a disk can look what the OSD says when a DD track is played?

See also comment of Krobar in post 1174:

Remind me what problem we're trying to solve here? Most of us are authoring HD-DVD disks with DD tracks and are not having any issues playing these disks on HD-DVD players. The OSD on the Tosh says DD+, but it's sending it downstream as DD - the blue light on my Sony receiver comes on every time. Are you having problems getting 5.1 DD to work in your setup? I know I should read back through the thread for the history on this, but can I just get the cliff notes please?

texmex
post #1181 of 1475 Old 07-24-2006, 08:02 AM

I may have found a way to use DVDShrink on those hi-def files that are just a bit too big to fit on a DL-DVD. The workflow is a little convoluted, but a short test clip I ran through worked perfectly. I'm going to try a full length test clip to prove the method and I'll post my results when it's complete.

I've always felt that DVDShrink did an EXCELLENT job of squeezing files down to fit on SL or DL disks and my hope is that it will allow us to squeeze some of these HD files down just enough without affecting PQ too much. We'll see...

texmex
post #1182 of 1475 Old 07-24-2006, 08:23 AM

Quote:

I may have found a way to use DVDShrink on those hi-def files that are just a bit too big to fit on a DL-DVD. The workflow is a little convoluted, but a short test clip I ran through worked perfectly. I'm going to try a full length test clip to prove the method and I'll post my results when it's complete.

I've always felt that DVDShrink did an EXCELLENT job of squeezing files down to fit on SL or DL disks and my hope is that it will allow us to squeeze some of these HD files down just enough without affecting PQ too much. We'll see...

texmex

WOW! That would be very handy! Also thanks for all the hard work on HDpatch.

mb1010
post #1183 of 1475 Old 07-24-2006, 08:50 AM

Quote:

Remind me what problem we're trying to solve here?

The problem is that homebrew disks with 5.1 AC-3 track do not work correctly using the SPDIF output on the Toshiba. Although some people claim success, for me and Krobar it does not work. Somehow the DD signal does not seem 100% backward compatible. However, Krobar claims the DD track on Perfect Storm plays fine on his setup. So maybe incorrect labelling of the track in the IFO causes this problem ...

And by the way, it goes without saying that DVD2one outperforms Shrink in speed and quality ... but I might be biased ofcourse ...
post #1184 of 1475 Old 07-24-2006, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The problem is that homebrew disks with 5.1 AC-3 track do not work correctly using the SPDIF output on the Toshiba.

I've had no problem with spidf or analog outs with ANY of my homebrews.
post #1185 of 1475 Old 07-24-2006, 09:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

texmex

I've always heard DVDshrink is crap. I'd love to hear what you find out!!

"I have never seen it, but by all accounts it is terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built, and it is terrific." - Michael Caine, on Jaws the Revenge
post #1186 of 1475 Old 07-24-2006, 09:18 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwilson View Post

I've had no problem with spidf or analog outs with ANY of my homebrews.

Me either neither.
post #1187 of 1475 Old 07-24-2006, 09:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:

I've always heard DVDshrink is crap. I'd love to hear what you find out!!

Interesting; I've used it for years and find it very useful. Of course if you take a DL disk and shrink it onto 1 layer, you have to expect loss of PQ. However, if you squeeze 5GB down to 4.5 GB, it looks pretty much like the original.
post #1188 of 1475 Old 07-24-2006, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Hi Texmex,

My problem with DD5.1 is only present with the SPDIF output (5.1 analogues, 2.0 analogue and PCM downconvert over SPDIF all work fine). I dont have Perfect Storm so have not tried DD5.1 from an official disc. DD+ Downconvert and Full Rate DTS from HD DVD work fine on my setup.

I saw reference to this problem from a few people earlier in the thread and just assumed it was a bug that everyone suffered from. "Do not convert complaint MPEG files" is ticked on my setup. I'm running Firmware 1.3 and the PrePro is an Integra RDC-7.1 (Onkyo).
post #1189 of 1475 Old 07-24-2006, 10:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

And by the way, it goes without saying that DVD2one outperforms Shrink in speed and quality ... but I might be biased ofcourse ...

And DVD-Rebuilder beats everything when it comes to quality. Speed-wise... not so good

Anyway, my first reaction to Texmex's post was "Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?!", done Family Guy style. Can't wait to hear details!

post #1190 of 1475 Old 07-24-2006, 10:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:

texmex

texmex, you are my hero!

Still trying to recover from the midwest storms, but the guide should be up in the next day or so. I was working on my computer systems when they hit and I've had some wonky things to deal with since power came back up.

Joe Clark

post #1191 of 1475 Old 07-24-2006, 10:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Clark View Post

texmex, you are my hero!

Still trying to recover from the midwest storms, but the guide should be up in the next day or so. I was working on my computer systems when they hit and I've had some wonky things to deal with since power came back up.

I should actually have a guide for people that want to convert the quicktime files as well...if you guys are interested. I have to finalize tonight.

"I have never seen it, but by all accounts it is terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built, and it is terrific." - Michael Caine, on Jaws the Revenge
post #1192 of 1475 Old 07-24-2006, 10:40 AM

Quote:

And DVD-Rebuilder beats everything when it comes to quality.

Doesn't DVD-Rebuilder not rely on another very expensive piece of software (CCE)?
post #1193 of 1475 Old 07-24-2006, 10:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyrax View Post

Interesting; I've used it for years and find it very useful. Of course if you take a DL disk and shrink it onto 1 layer, you have to expect loss of PQ. However, if you squeeze 5GB down to 4.5 GB, it looks pretty much like the original.

I've always heard that it's encoder was crap.

post #1194 of 1475 Old 07-24-2006, 10:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Doesn't DVD-Rebuilder not rely on another very expensive piece of software (CCE)?

Yeah, it does. Won't change the fact that the quality beats Shrink etc. hands down

(BTW, there's a very cheap version of CCE on sale as well, so it doesn't have to be very expensive.)

post #1195 of 1475 Old 07-24-2006, 12:39 PM

Recently I downloaded Nero 7.2.3.2 and had some difficulty with the Xbox Compatible option on the UDF tab. Well, I found it.

On the Multi-session tab, click "no multi-session". This activates that option. Never saw a mention of this, so maybe this is something relative to the newer version and I'm passing the info along.

steve
post #1196 of 1475 Old 07-24-2006, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Steve, well spotted. I never ever use Multi-session, so the thought of that affecting UDF options never occurred to me.

post #1197 of 1475 Old 07-24-2006, 02:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:

I've always heard that it's [Shrink32] encoder was crap.

Shrink32 doesn't encode. It transcodes. Which is basically lowering the bit rate. On my computer it takes about 12 minutes to transcode 8GB of data to fit on a single layer. If I wished to re-encode 8GB of video to fit on a single layer, I would indeed use a tool other than Shrink32. Sony Vegas does a pretty good job, but unfortunately takes 16 hours. And the results are only slightly better than what you get out of Shrink. CCE was too expensive for me to try, but I've heard it takes even longer for it to re-encode.

Basically, anything you use to take an already squeezed-to its-limit 8 GB MPEG file and cut its size in half will create a video with lower quality. What you really need to do is actually encode the video into a better (more efficient) format...VC1 for example.

The long and short of this is that I'll be thrilled if Texmex can get Shrink32 to transcode a 9.1 GB file so it will fit on a DL disk. I may try it with 12 GB files, but suspect the quality will be too poor.

I will be even more thrilled once we can encode our videos into VC1 to make them fit on a DL disk.
post #1198 of 1475 Old 07-24-2006, 02:42 PM

Ok, I was able to use DVDShrink to squeeze a 5039MB 1080i stream onto a SL DVD (4480MB). For you math majors out there, that's an 89% squeeze. The resulting disc played perfectly in the Tosh. I didn't watch the whole disk, but "visual" PQ was very near (if not equal) the source. I'm going to give a high level overview of the process while I attempt to simplify the workflow. Here's what you need to do:
- Prepare your stream for authoring (join, edit, etc.) then convert it to a VOB (VideoRedo can do this)
- Generate a standard DVD fileset from your VOB (DVDAuthor can do this)
- Use DVDShrink to Re-author your DVD fileset, compressing to DVD-9 (or DVD-5)
- Join the resulting VOB streams and save as MPG (VideoRedo can do this)
- HDPatch if necessary (1088 or 720p only)
- Author to HD-DVD using MF5/VS10+
- HDPatch EVO if necessary (720p only)
- Burn with Nero

I'm sure there are alternatives to the tools I've listed above. I already own VideoRedo - I"m sure there are other tools out there to convert a program stream to VOB and vice-versa. DVDAuthor is free, and ignores the fact that the stream is not DVD compliant. DVDShrink is free and also ignores the fact that the stream is not DVD compliant (this is very important). If anyone else is interested, I'll try to write a more detailed guide with links to these FREE tools (DVDAuthor, DVDShrink).

Note: for many of us our streams are already severely compressed. Using DVDShrink on a D* stream is not going to "ruin it". Let's face it - it wasn't all that great to begin with. If I had a pristine HD source to work with, this process may not deliver the goods, but at least it's out here as an option....

texmex
post #1199 of 1475 Old 07-24-2006, 02:46 PM
AVS Special Member

I'd definitely be interested in a more detailed guide! Thanks!

I know this has probably already been asked but how long until us lay people can encode in VC1? And then, I guess, the big question is finding an authoring software that will author with it.

post #1200 of 1475 Old 07-24-2006, 03:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:

I should actually have a guide for people that want to convert the quicktime files as well...if you guys are interested. I have to finalize tonight.

Great. A lot of people have expressed interest in doing that. We have several additions/changes to include. And I think a FAQ section still would be quite helpful. The info on changes in Nero 7 will be included, as well. I'll work on the guide tonight.

Joe Clark

Reply HD DVD Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page