post #181 of 1475 Old 04-29-2006, 03:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Clark View Post

but HDV files must have to be re-rendered from their native 1440x1080 to 1920x1080.

Why? The HD-DVD specification supports 1440x1080.

Ron

HD MPEG-2 Test Patterns http://www.w6rz.net
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 1475 Old 04-29-2006, 04:50 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
All my Sony HC1 Projects compile very quickly -- only the menus take a little while to render (Pentium D Dual Core 3ghz) -- are you sure you have the "Do Not Convert Compliant MPEG Files" option checked?

And YES - DVDMF5 does support Dolby Digital 5.1 if it is part of the original MPEG file. When I did a test clip from my HDTV saved Starship Troopers 1080i movie and burned a 30 minute clip to DVD via MF5 and played it back on my Toshiba, it played the DD 5.1 exactly as it should.

Aaron

Quote:

but HDV files must have to be re-rendered from their native 1440x1080 to 1920x1080. Add the animated menus to the process and it's a serious wait.

Sony KF-60XBR800 60" Grand Wega II
Sony STR-DA5200ES Receiver
Sony Playstation 3
Sony BDP-S1 Blu-Ray Player
Toshiba HD-A1 HD-DVD Player
HR10-250 HD DirecTivo
post #183 of 1475 Old 04-29-2006, 07:11 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I have been rendering my HD-DVD's in 1440x1080 with no problems.

Chris Blount
post #184 of 1475 Old 04-29-2006, 07:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr1394 View Post

Why? The HD-DVD specification supports 1440x1080.

Ron

I've been looking (Googling) for the HD_DVD spec, but cannot find it. What other resolutions does it support?
post #185 of 1475 Old 04-29-2006, 10:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron.s View Post

All my Sony HC1 Projects compile very quickly -- only the menus take a little while to render (Pentium D Dual Core 3ghz) -- are you sure you have the "Do Not Convert Compliant MPEG Files" option checked?

And YES - DVDMF5 does support Dolby Digital 5.1 if it is part of the original MPEG file. When I did a test clip from my HDTV saved Starship Troopers 1080i movie and burned a 30 minute clip to DVD via MF5 and played it back on my Toshiba, it played the DD 5.1 exactly as it should.

Aaron

Thank you, gentlemen. I tried MPEG-VCR last night for the first time and it allowed me to convert some files that MF5 choked on (files edited with HDTVtoMPEG2 and VideoRedo). It's back to test 3 disks today at Best Buy.

Now that I think about it, with gas hovering around $3 a gallon, my trips to Best Buy are adding up - enough to justify buying an A1? With the AVS power buy at $439? Crow pie, anybody?

Joe Clark

post #186 of 1475 Old 04-29-2006, 10:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

My HDV compile times may have something to do with the way the Aspect HD codec creates .m2t files from Premiere Pro. I rechecked and the movie output option in Premiere describes the output file as Cineform .m2t. Perhaps there's a re-render involved, or maybe I just missed a setting in MF5.

Joe Clark

post #187 of 1475 Old 04-29-2006, 11:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

My HDV compile times may have something to do with the way the Aspect HD codec creates .m2t files from Premiere Pro. I rechecked and the movie output option in Premiere describes the output file as Cineform .m2t. Perhaps there's a re-render involved, or maybe I just missed a setting in MF5.

Cineform is a wavelet codec, so it has to recompress when making .m2t.

Digital Media Technology Insider with Microsoft

My compression blog
post #188 of 1475 Old 04-29-2006, 02:21 PM - Thread Starter

Ahhh OK -

When I shoot with my Sony HC1, I really plan my shots in advance, that way I pretty much don't have to edit anything at home on the PC. All the footage I shoot gets used.

I've been capturing from the HC1 directly into DVDMF5 -- so thats why my processing times are so low.... But I have done generic captures to my hard drive using HDVSplit and then processing them through VideoRedo and then later importing them into DVDMF5 and it still doesn't have to re-process the footage -- go figure!

Aaron

Quote:

Sony KF-60XBR800 60" Grand Wega II
Sony STR-DA5200ES Receiver
Sony Playstation 3
Sony BDP-S1 Blu-Ray Player
Toshiba HD-A1 HD-DVD Player
HR10-250 HD DirecTivo
post #189 of 1475 Old 04-29-2006, 04:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benwaggoner View Post

Cineform is a wavelet codec, so it has to recompress when making .m2t.

I'm talking about after it's it has done the re-encode. It calls it Cineform .m2t, and I'm not sure if that's different than the standard .m2t files straight from the camcorder.

Update on the Best Buy trip this afternoon.

My HDV project looked and sounded great, but it did the same thing with the video that it did yesterday - it thought the start of the video was a few minutes in and refused to play any of the start of the file, even though the menu and chapter stops for the start were there. Next step is to just output the file, without a menu at all.

None of the other files I created played without audio or video stuttering. All of these files were originally null stripped in HDTVtoMPEG2. Right now, I'm trying a file that hasn't gone through H2M first.

I found the setup menu with help from a BB guy. I didn't know there was a flip down section on the remote. That's where it is. I couldn't see anything wrong in the setup, but I'm not at all sure if the audio/video problems aren't a fault of the particular Toshiba player and/or the way it's hooked up to their receiver. Right now, I don't have another player to try out.

Joe Clark

post #190 of 1475 Old 04-29-2006, 05:21 PM

I have a file that is MPEG- 2 1920x1080 with an AC-3 5.1 soundtrack. I try to put it through Video Studio and it wants to re-encode it. I set up Video Studio to not re-encode compliant files. Why does it want to re-encode it? This is a capture from cable. I'm trying to covert the ts file with Womble now, but it wants to re-encode the 5.1 soundtrack to 2.0. I'm not having any luck here. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
post #191 of 1475 Old 04-29-2006, 05:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron.s View Post

Aaron

Aaron,

What sort of connection from the A1 to the receiver do you use? The Best Buy rep told me they were using the optical S/PDIF. Any file I've tried that was recorded from satellite has choppy audio. Nothing in the Toshiba audio menu let me get clean audio if that audio was Dolby Digital. HC1 audio sounds fine.

Are you using the R5000 mod or a digital cable box to record the original files?

I'm just trying to find out where our audio results might be diverging. I can't get any Dolby Digital audio to play cleanly from the HD DVDs I've created. (Again, it could be this particular Best Buy unit. I'm going to try to find another machine to test on. Anyone reading this thread live in the St. Louis area?

Joe Clark

post #192 of 1475 Old 04-30-2006, 04:20 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Anyone trying to put a demo disc together? I've been trying to dl hd quicktime from apples site. DVD Studio doesnt seem to like those though... Trying to convert to mpegs now.
post #193 of 1475 Old 04-30-2006, 10:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quick update on my audio problems with the A1 -

After fiddling with the A1 at our local Best Buy, I've pretty much come to the conclusion that it's a problem with this particular unit and/or their setup. I was able for a brief time to get the audio to play normally, but adjusting the settings in the A1 setup menu. Changing things back and then trying to duplicate the process led to bad audio again. I think this particular unit it flaky.

Looks like I may have to buy an A1. Frustrations aside, this is just too tempting.

Joe Clark

post #194 of 1475 Old 05-01-2006, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chauncey View Post

I have a file that is MPEG- 2 1920x1080 with an AC-3 5.1 soundtrack. I try to put it through Video Studio and it wants to re-encode it. I set up Video Studio to not re-encode compliant files. Why does it want to re-encode it? This is a capture from cable. I'm trying to covert the ts file with Womble now, but it wants to re-encode the 5.1 soundtrack to 2.0. I'm not having any luck here. Any thoughts?

Do you know the specs of your source file? Could be it's doing something weird that Ulead doesn't know how to deal with. For example, if it's 24p native, Ulead might not know how to insert the frame repeat tags, for example. I know Apple's tool can't.

Digital Media Technology Insider with Microsoft

My compression blog
post #195 of 1475 Old 05-01-2006, 02:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I confirmed the audio stuttering was an issue with the Best Buy setup. I played the "bad" disks at another store. No problem with the audio.

I just ordered my A1 from Best Buy. They found one in the local network of stores for my area and it's on its way. I have to say that the local Best Buys have been very accomodating in letting me experiment with the player. They do have a rule about not playing commercial disks in the player, but they were able to confirm the audio issue by trying out one of the commercial disks after hours. It stuttered just like my disks.

Let me ask this question about Womble - does it always want to downconvert the audio from 5.1 to 2-channel? I haven't really had the opportunity to check that out, and if it does it won't serve my purpose well. I want to maintain the 5.1 sound for all the shows and films I have. The problem with HDTVtoMPEG2 and VideoRedo is that they don't play nice with Ulead Movie Factory 5, while Womble MPEG-VCR does. I've yet to process a file through Womble that doesn't work, but H2M and VdeoRedo are creating problems. MF5 chokes on several of the files.

Is there a program that will tell me quickly if 5.1 sound has been retained in the cnoversions?

Now it's off to confess on my local thread that I caved and bought an HD-DVD player, when I vowed to ride out the first wave of the format war.

Joe Clark

post #196 of 1475 Old 05-01-2006, 03:59 PM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 14
AAron, you might take a look at Pinnacle S10+ for video editing. If you have a fast, 3Ghz , 2Gb RAM etc computer it works fine and is priced app same as MF5. But much easier to use and has other features.
Hopefully they will add HD DVD burning at some stage.
At this point I burn the edited video in HDV2 fileform and play from computer.

Gene
post #197 of 1475 Old 05-01-2006, 08:14 PM
AVS Club Gold

Beware of Pinnacle S10+ when creating HD video to burn to a playable HD-DVD. When I tried to import the edited video from Pinnacle to Movie Factory, it didn't work. Movie Factory choked on the file. I'm not saying this will happen with everyone, but it happened with me. I ended up having to capture the video and create the HD-DVD all in Movie Factory. Worked perfectly.

Chris Blount
post #198 of 1475 Old 05-01-2006, 11:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Hey, guys, I still need to know about how MPEG-VCR saves audio during its conversion of .ts files. Does it convert 5.1 to 2-channel?

Joe Clark

post #199 of 1475 Old 05-02-2006, 12:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I was disturbed to find that after running a lot of my .ts files through HDTVtoMPEG2 even Womble wouldn't fix them. I have a lot of these null stripped files stored on computer, but MF5 choked on the Womblized H2M files. I ran the the H2M .ts files through MPEG2Repair and all was well again. It's a tedious process, but it works, so I won't have to capture the material again.

Joe Clark

post #200 of 1475 Old 05-02-2006, 08:26 AM

Thank you Chris.
S10 has a export back to camera feature, wonder if that is in the same format that came from the camera? There is some rendering before it exports.
Is there some software that identifies video files as to format, data rate etc?

I have used Pinnacle products for 10? years because editing is so simple with its pull down from album to timeline method. But they are very slow to add innovative features like Ulead did with HD-DVD authoring .

Gene
post #201 of 1475 Old 05-02-2006, 08:49 AM

I came across this on the highdefforum, author PAINTIT::

standard def?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You need footage from your HC-3, Ulead DVD Movie Factory 5 and Nero Burning Rom version 6.6 then do as follows.
STEP 1-
You need a HD Video (1080i from the HC-3)

STEP 2-
Open Ulead DVD MovieFactory 5

STEP 3-
Select "NEW" project.

STEP 4-
Select "HD DVD"

STEP 5-
Select "Add Media" and find the HD Video from step 1

STEP 6-
Select "NEXT" and set-up your menu if desired

STEP 7-
Select "NEXT" then select "Create HD DVD Folders" check box. Make sure you know where the folder will be saved. When this is completed go to step 8

STEP 8-
Open up Nero 6.6 and select Nero Burning Rom. Select DVD-Video from left menu.
Next, click the "NEW" box.

STEP 9-
The left half of the next screen is your new DVD, the right half is you files. Find the HDDVD_TS folder you created in step 7 from the right side and drag it over to the left (Your new HD DVD). Notice that the option to burn the DVD is ghosted, preventing you from creating the new HD DVD...no problem, lets go to step 10.

STEP 10-
Go to your desktop and create a new text file. To do this right click on the desktop and select NEW. Then select TEXT DOCUMENT. Now right click this file and select "rename". Rename the file "VIDEO_TS.VOB" and drag it into to Nero screen. You need to drop it into the folder "VIDEO_TS" (it has the red folder icon).

Now notice what just happened....the "BURN THE CURRENT COMPILATION" icon has become un-ghosted. MIRACLE! WOW!

STEP 11-
Burn the DVD

STEP 12-
Put the DVD in the Toshiba HDA1 HD-DVD Player

STEP 13-
WOW...it works!
post #202 of 1475 Old 05-02-2006, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member

I tried searching but found nothing.

For the 1080p HD-DVD movies, 1080i output is recommended on the toshiba players since there's an issue with downscaling to 720p. For those who have successfully created a 720p ts to hd-dvd formatted dvdr, how does it look with the toshiba output set to 720p vs 1080i? Just curious.

But in my own way, I am King. Hail to the King, baby.

My Networked Media/Music/DVD Server
post #203 of 1475 Old 05-02-2006, 10:07 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene157 View Post

Thank you Chris.
S10 has a export back to camera feature, wonder if that is in the same format that came from the camera?

Funny you should ask that. I made a picture montage in Pinnacle S10+ with music. I exported the finished product back to tape in my Sony HC-3. I then re-captured it in Movie Factory. It worked.

Chris Blount
post #204 of 1475 Old 05-02-2006, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene157 View Post

I came across this on the highdefforum, author PAINTIT::

standard def?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You need footage from your HC-3, Ulead DVD Movie Factory 5 and Nero Burning Rom version 6.6 then do as follows.
STEP 1-
You need a HD Video (1080i from the HC-3)

STEP 2-
Open Ulead DVD MovieFactory 5

STEP 3-
Select "NEW" project.

STEP 4-
Select "HD DVD"

STEP 5-
Select "Add Media" and find the HD Video from step 1

STEP 6-
Select "NEXT" and set-up your menu if desired

STEP 7-
Select "NEXT" then select "Create HD DVD Folders" check box. Make sure you know where the folder will be saved. When this is completed go to step 8

STEP 8-
Open up Nero 6.6 and select Nero Burning Rom. Select DVD-Video from left menu.
Next, click the "NEW" box.

STEP 9-
The left half of the next screen is your new DVD, the right half is you files. Find the HDDVD_TS folder you created in step 7 from the right side and drag it over to the left (Your new HD DVD). Notice that the option to burn the DVD is ghosted, preventing you from creating the new HD DVD...no problem, lets go to step 10.

STEP 10-
Go to your desktop and create a new text file. To do this right click on the desktop and select NEW. Then select TEXT DOCUMENT. Now right click this file and select "rename". Rename the file "VIDEO_TS.VOB" and drag it into to Nero screen. You need to drop it into the folder "VIDEO_TS" (it has the red folder icon).

Now notice what just happened....the "BURN THE CURRENT COMPILATION" icon has become un-ghosted. MIRACLE! WOW!

STEP 11-
Burn the DVD

STEP 12-
Put the DVD in the Toshiba HDA1 HD-DVD Player

STEP 13-
WOW...it works!

he just cut and pasted the instructions I posted at the begining of this tread, including all my sarcasm. (see post #61)
post #205 of 1475 Old 05-02-2006, 07:25 PM

I keep getting "this mpeg program stream is not compatible with this dvd engine" when I try to create the iso image....anyone else getting this or know why I'm getting it?
post #206 of 1475 Old 05-02-2006, 07:47 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalfx View Post

he just cut and pasted the instructions I posted at the begining of this tread, including all my sarcasm. (see post #61)

They plagiarized you!!!

Kipp
Are you boozen & cruisin the AVS? Join us here ---> http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...8&page=1&pp=60 good times! www.illinoiscarry.org www.nra.org
post #207 of 1475 Old 05-02-2006, 07:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shagster View Post

I keep getting "this mpeg program stream is not compatible with this dvd engine" when I try to create the iso image....anyone else getting this or know why I'm getting it?

Where was it recorded from? Could be that it is not a supported format (1920x1080 or 1440x1080).

Joe Clark

post #208 of 1475 Old 05-02-2006, 08:07 PM

it's 1920x1080 that I recorded of my hd card....it was a .ts file and ran it thru hdtv2mpeg2 and changed it to mpg file...
post #209 of 1475 Old 05-02-2006, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shagster View Post

I got this on a few of my more non-standard TS streams (ie, they had subtitles and multiple audio tracks and what have you). It frustrated me to no end until I converted the TS files to MPEG2 using Womble Mpeg-Vcr. The conversion took longer than using HDTV2MPEG, but the files worked in Ulead FLAWLESSLY. They also loaded into Ulead a lot faster than my other files before, so it definently seems like Mpeg-VCR is the way to go on these things.
post #210 of 1475 Old 05-02-2006, 10:06 PM
Advanced Member

I just received my Sony HC3 two hours ago (largely due to the success reported in this thread!). I also downloaded the Ulead MF 5 trial version. Is there another piece of software I need to import the video into the PC prior to using Ulead because Ulead was complaining about missing some drive when I tried to capture? I also have a Nero 6.0, is that edaquate for burning the DVD later? Any info or advice is much appreciated.
Reply HD DVD Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page