Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 05-17-2006, 05:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi guys,

Does anyone know for sure that HD-DVD that include Standard Def 480i/p actually play properly in a standard def DVD player? Seems like they should, but I haven't noticed any posts specifically addressing that.

Thanks in advance -- Trevor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 05-17-2006, 09:49 PM

Liked: 10
All HD DVDs are mastered in 1080p and WILL NOT work in a regular player, unless it is a hybrid disc like "Rumor Has it"

480p/i could mean its talking about the special features resolutions.

Lover of all things High Definition©
post #3 of 11 Old 05-17-2006, 11:20 PM
AVS Special Member

You need an HD DVD player to play HD DVD's.
post #4 of 11 Old 05-18-2006, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamerGuyX
You need an HD DVD player to play HD DVD's.
Trevor was wondering if the Hybrids work on regular dvd players.
post #5 of 11 Old 05-18-2006, 08:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I see. On the back of Serenity it refers to 480i/p Standard Definition, but I gather Special Features just refers to the usual extras, not an additional feature format (my point of confusion). I had read of HD-DVD having an optional SD layer and was thinking that was it. I see it also says at the bottom "For use only with HD-DVD players and drives", guess that clinches it :(.

I had the apparently foolish thought that I could buy the disc now and watch the film on my SD player, and later enjoy it HiDef after getting the necessary equipment. Silly me :).

Well, can't say I'm too interested in purchasing both an SD version now and an HD version later, so guess I'm stuck.

Thanks for your help guys! :)
post #6 of 11 Old 05-18-2006, 09:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorS
I see. On the back of Serenity it refers to 480i/p Standard Definition, but I gather Special Features just refers to the usual extras, not an additional feature format (my point of confusion). I had read of HD-DVD having an optional SD layer and was thinking that was it. I see it also says at the bottom "For use only with HD-DVD players and drives", guess that clinches it :(.

I had the apparently foolish thought that I could buy the disc now and watch the film on my SD player, and later enjoy it HiDef after getting the necessary equipment. Silly me :).

Well, can't say I'm too interested in purchasing both an SD version now and an HD version later, so guess I'm stuck.

Thanks for your help guys! :)
Trevor, there is one disc so far that you can do that with, Rumor Has It. That's a hybrid disc and has HD DVD on one side and DVD on the other.

Your idea isn't that foolish.
post #7 of 11 Old 05-18-2006, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBigglesworth
All HD DVDs are mastered in 1080p and WILL NOT work in a regular player, unless it is a hybrid disc like "Rumor Has it"

480p/i could mean its talking about the special features resolutions.
If the discs are mastered in 1080p, does the HD-DVD player do the interlacing into 1080i and the frame rate changes? ie 1080p in the HD spec is at 24fps...and there is no 1080i @ 48fps....it's 50 or 60. I'm a bit ocnfused about all of this and was wondering if someone could shed some light on how this is worked out?
post #8 of 11 Old 05-18-2006, 01:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LimeLizzards
If the discs are mastered in 1080p, does the HD-DVD player do the interlacing into 1080i and the frame rate changes?

The 1080p23.97 stream on HD DVD has 3:2 pulldown flags in it. When the decoder in your player sees the flag, it will perform 3:2 pulldown on the 23.97p stream and output 1080i60.

Could the decoder ignore the flag and output 1080p23.97 directly from your player?
I guess so. Some software MPEG2 decoder always does this. But some experts say it is not practical.

HDPLEX
post #9 of 11 Old 05-18-2006, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lymzy
The 1080p23.97 stream on HD DVD has 3:2 pulldown flags in it. When the decoder in your player sees the flag, it will perform 3:2 pulldown on the 23.97p stream and output 1080i60.

Could the decoder ignore the flag and output 1080p23.97 directly from your player?
I guess so. Some software MPEG2 decoder always does this. But some experts say it is not practical.
So it's the HD-DVD player, makes sense to put the best quality on the DVD I guess, and work back from that. Thanks lymzy. I assume the discs will work with 1080p when HD-DVD finaly supports it?
post #10 of 11 Old 05-18-2006, 03:01 PM
Advanced Member

To clarify, although the bonus material on all HD-DVDs so far is 480p, you can't play them on a standard player (except for the SD side of Rumor Has It, as pointed out above).

Check out my DVD Reviews at http://www.digitallyobsessed.com
post #11 of 11 Old 05-26-2006, 03:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well, the used Serenity HD-DVD I ordered online just before starting this thread arrived today, and the one guy I know with a player returned it this morning :(. Looks like it goes on the shelf for awhile. Don't you just love Murphy? :)
Closed Thread HD DVD Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page