Which HD DVD Disc Version Do You Prefer? - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: Which HD DVD Disc Version Do You Prefer - Single or Combo?
I Prefer the HD DVD Single Version - Only the HD Presentation 336 89.84%
I Prefer the Combo Version (about $12 more) with both the SD and HD Presentations 38 10.16%
Voters: 374. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 80 Old 06-09-2006, 06:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I cannot see much use of both the SD and HD versions on the same disc -- especially if it costs me an extra $12 or so. Yes, I know that some people may also want the SD version for when they travel or to use on a different DVD player in the house, but my feeling is that this need is rare. Thus the purpose of the poll. How popular really IS the combo version?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 80 Old 06-09-2006, 06:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
I noticed Firewall HDVD: but it only comes in combo, you can't get it stand alone HD-DVD, correct?
post #3 of 80 Old 06-09-2006, 06:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Health Nut View Post

I noticed Firewall HDVD: but it only comes in combo, you can't get it stand alone HD-DVD, correct?

Those that are made "combo" are not available stand alone HD. You must buy the combo if you want the HD presentation. They retail for about $40 USD. However they DO make a stand alone SD version.
post #4 of 80 Old 06-09-2006, 07:42 PM
AVS Special Member

I don't know what Warner is thinking.... Who are the people on crack making these decisions? Any of us would make better board directors than those clowns....
post #5 of 80 Old 06-09-2006, 08:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Health Nut View Post

I don't know what Warner is thinking.... Who are the people on crack making these decisions? Any of us would make better board directors than those clowns....

Well . . . obviously the ONLY reason they do it is to make additional profit under the guise of "customers want it."
post #6 of 80 Old 06-09-2006, 08:24 PM

Added cost to Warner for creating hybrids, NIL.

Selling a weak flick (IMDB=5.7) @ $40 for HD starved fans almost sounds like a smart move. They won't get my money with decisions like that. Only reason I'd buy a hybrid is if the cost was the same as an HD-DVD release and no HD-DVD only copy was available.
post #7 of 80 Old 06-09-2006, 08:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Only reason I'd buy a hybrid is if the cost was the same as an HD-DVD release and no HD-DVD only copy was available.

Well, that is the issue: "Firewall" Harrison Ford..... only version available for HD-DVD is the HD-DVD hybrid... If you want to see it in HD-DVD, you gots to buy the hybrid.
post #8 of 80 Old 06-09-2006, 09:08 PM
nyg
AVS Special Member

These combo formats should be priced the same as the SD releases if Warner is serious about promoting HD. The way they're doing it now they're just making those who do own HD DVD players pay more... or pass on buying a movie they otherwise would. This is piss poor marketing IMO.
post #9 of 80 Old 06-09-2006, 09:37 PM

I own every HD DVD except Rumor Has It and Firewall wanna guess why? I would really love to have Firewall but not for $40 freaking dollars! Same goes with 16 blocks next week. I instead opted to buy Memoirs, Munich, Narnia, and Domino at Movie Gallery for $30 with the buy 2 get 2 deal.
post #10 of 80 Old 06-10-2006, 03:46 AM

well for me its good. I plan on buyig a HDDVD player soon, but I want to wait till more movies come out and alot of the issues are fixed. Like sound isues and load and menu times. With these dvd and HDdvd hybrid discs I can buy the movie now and watch it on my dvd player and then watch it on my hdvd without haveing to buy a new dvd
post #11 of 80 Old 06-10-2006, 04:10 AM

The question doesn't make sense.

Hybrids cost only $5 more (not $12).

You are comparing costs of old movies in HD-DVD only to new releases in Combo/Hybrid format.

If you compare the cost of a new release HD-DVD only to a new release combo/hybrid, you'd see the cost difference is small ($34.99 vs. $39.99)
post #12 of 80 Old 06-10-2006, 06:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

well for me its good. I plan on buyig a HDDVD player soon

Actually, you might want to reconsider: The Toshiba player can be found now for $400.00 and the new firmware resolves most issues... By the time you buy a bunch of hybrids, it might have been better to just buy the Toshiba player. There is also something to be said about this: wouldn't you like to watch a new movie in HD-DVD? The second time is not as much fun... Warner is on crack.... My reasoning is that if I have an option of DVD vs Blu Ray/HD-DVD version, I simply want the HD version since I don't want to waste money owning the DVD version. I'd strongly consider just spending $400.00 on the HD-DVD player..
post #13 of 80 Old 06-10-2006, 06:37 AM
AVS Special Member

...Problem is Firewall is only available in COMBO form.
post #14 of 80 Old 06-10-2006, 08:31 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Combos are problems. I already posted about this but I will do so again. Yesterday at my local BB some people were checking out the HD DVD player and as soon as they seen the new release Firewall for 37.99 they bailed. And in a hurry. I know it is cheaper at Amazon but most mainstream BB shoppers don't go on Amazon. When they see new Tuesday movies at 37.99 they are NOT going to buy a HD DVD player. If I want the standard version for a portable dvd player than I will purchase it seperately. HD DVDs are mainly used in peoples main room (or theater) set up. Why would they want to carry the SD version around with the HD version. It is a good concept (I admit) but not at that price. The Warner HD DVDs are 24.99 so add 13.00 more for the COMBO version. At that pricing structure we might as well buy both seperately. They better get on this quickly. The more people who see Firewall and this coming Tuesday 16 Blocks for 37.99, the more potential HD DVD buyers they LOSE... COMBO- NO THANKS!

For my latest Reviews and stuff Search -> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com
Follow me: @joerodhometheat
Check out my Dolby Atmos/Surround first take:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #15 of 80 Old 06-10-2006, 09:21 AM
nyg
AVS Special Member

I'm not a fan of combos, nor of paying more money for them than I do for a normal HD DVD disc but some of us are going overboard. If Batman Begins were released as a combo format I don't think that would stop the majority of us from buying it. See my point? Wait till a more popular title gets a Combo only release and we'll see just how many people refuse to buy it.
post #16 of 80 Old 06-10-2006, 09:23 AM
AVS Club Gold

I would still refuse to buy it. I can HD TIVO newer releases if I have to. We have more options coming as well.... Hint. Hint.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #17 of 80 Old 06-10-2006, 10:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I was all for combos, assuming minimal price difference. But if this becomes the standard from all studios it will be killing a good idea with bad marketing.
post #18 of 80 Old 06-10-2006, 10:29 AM
AVS Club Gold

I completely agree. And I am not cheap by any means. My home theater has a MSRP of just over $40,000 (including my 6 electronic/leather reclining movie seats). But I paid a higher price for D-THEATER (92 titles) and I absolutely refuse to do it again for any new HD format. So if they are smart they will either kill the COMBO disc or make them only 5.00 more above. Actually 29.99 sounds about right. And I am talking about the BBs and the CCs...

post #19 of 80 Old 06-10-2006, 10:55 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Right now the combo version doesn't interest me that much. For the inflated cost I would prefer to have just the HD. There may be some titles that I want the standard version as well for the upstairs system, so I'll buy a separate copy in SD.

Stace
post #20 of 80 Old 06-10-2006, 11:07 AM

Seeing as how i would expect most people voting in this thread to own HD DVD players, the voting is going to be havily one-sided. Why would someone who has an HD DVD player care about getting the SD version too? The hybrids are aimed at people who don't have HD DVD yet, not the ones who do.

post #21 of 80 Old 06-10-2006, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod View Post

I completely agree. And I am not cheap by any means. My home theater has a MSRP of just over $40,000 (including my 6 electronic/leather reclining movie seats). But I paid a higher price for D-THEATER (92 titles) and I absolutely refuse to do it again for any new HD format. So if they are smart they will either kill the COMBO disc or make them only 5.00 more above. Actually 29.99 sounds about right. And I am talking about the BBs and the CCs...

COMBO discs are only $5.00 more

The reason recent COMBO's cost more than other Warner releases is because they are NEW releases. Their price is 39.99, but if they weren't COMBO's, they would cost 34.99 like Syriana next, next Tuesday.
post #22 of 80 Old 06-10-2006, 12:27 PM
AVS Club Gold

Does this mean all newer releases will be 13.00 more. Those are the ones I care about. I haven't seen 16 Blocks or any other COMBO newer releases coming. So to see it in HD it will cost 37.99. That is more than 5.00 more. And quite INSANE! They will fail, if they stay at those prices... I will not purchase the SD version or the COMBO version. So they lose twice!

post #23 of 80 Old 06-10-2006, 12:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxflier View Post

Why would someone who has an HD DVD player care about getting the SD version too? The hybrids are aimed at people who don't have HD DVD yet, not the ones who do.

So, you're saying that all of us that OWN HD DVD players are screwed! They don't care about us. They want to offer a "combo" disc for those that DON'T own an HD DVD player yet, so they can watch the movie now and, down the road, when the GET an HD DVD player, it will work on it too.

Oh. . . good thinking. In the meantime, all of those that OWN an HD DVD player will HAVE to buy the combo disk because they offer no stand-alone HD version.

If they are truly aiming these combo disks at the non HD DVD owners, then why not ALSO offer a stand alone HD DVD? They offer a stand alone SD DVD.

--------------

Personally, I doubt very many non HD DVD owners are buying the combo disks. Really! Those that don't own an HD DVD player are just buying the SD version for $15 at Wal-mart. Why would they spend $38 on a disc because they "might" buy an HD DVD player in the future.

Doesn't make any sense to me and goes against logic.
post #24 of 80 Old 06-10-2006, 12:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by efralope View Post

The question doesn't make sense.

Yes, it does.
post #25 of 80 Old 06-10-2006, 01:07 PM
AVS Club Gold

Either way if any is buying COMBOs (at that price) then they're screwing themselves...

post #26 of 80 Old 06-10-2006, 01:15 PM
AVS Club Gold

I do not know a single person who is buying HD DVDs that doesn't own a player. You are right. WHY would they pay 37.99 for COMBO discs NOW when in the future IF they by a HD DVD player I am sure they will be cheaper...

post #27 of 80 Old 06-10-2006, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricwhite View Post

So, you're saying that all of us that OWN HD DVD players are screwed! They don't care about us. They want to offer a "combo" disc for those that DON'T own an HD DVD player yet, so they can watch the movie now and, down the road, when the GET an HD DVD player, it will work on it too.

Oh. . . good thinking. In the meantime, all of those that OWN an HD DVD player will HAVE to buy the combo disk because they offer no stand-alone HD version.

If they are truly aiming these combo disks at the non HD DVD owners, then why not ALSO offer a stand alone HD DVD? They offer a stand alone SD DVD.

--------------

Personally, I doubt very many non HD DVD owners are buying the combo disks. Really! Those that don't own an HD DVD player are just buying the SD version for $15 at Wal-mart. Why would they spend $38 on a disc because they "might" buy an HD DVD player in the future.

Doesn't make any sense to me and goes against logic.

Hey, i never said i agreed with it, but isn't it obvious that that is the strategy? I am among those that think the hybrids should be the same price as normal HD DVD's for the strategy to work as inteded, to charge more is crazy. I was just trying to point out that the poll was obviously going to be one-sided because why would anyone with an HD player care about getting the SD version too?

post #28 of 80 Old 06-10-2006, 02:42 PM
AVS Club Gold

If the prices were the same or atleast not that much higher than I probably wouldn't mind them...

post #29 of 80 Old 06-10-2006, 02:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I dont mind combo discs, I can lend them to my SD DVD friends and in general I only do this with newer releases so I dont think they are such a bad idea. If we compare Apples to Apples then combo discs only cost $5 more and if the film fits without compression problems on 15Gb then I'm happy to pay $5 more for the combo disc.

I'm looking forward to 30Gb combos when they are released.
post #30 of 80 Old 06-10-2006, 02:55 PM
AVS Club Gold

I would not lend a new HD DVD disc to anyone. Call me selfish but I don't like my discs playing in a bunch of different players only to come back to mine. I think that is one reason why my components last longer... I just don't like the way many people handle their discs... Especially if I had to buy one (since it was a new release) at BB for 37.99!

Reply HD DVD Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page