The Phantom of the Opera, bad movie with bad audio - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 98 Old 12-13-2007, 10:15 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Old thread...but I just purchased Phantom and it still has the low audio problems. At first I thought something was wrong with my disk before doing a search here and on the Highdefdigest forums.

No issue for me though, I just turn up the volume a few notches and the audio sounds incredible.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 98 Old 12-13-2007, 10:25 AM

I enjoyed this movie itself, and its sound quality. The volume was low so I had to dial it up. It is a must have disk to win approvals from your wife/girlfriends.

If you don't like opera/musical, don't bother.
post #93 of 98 Old 12-13-2007, 10:53 AM

Yeah i enjoyed the movie and with it's pq rating it was a must have on hd-dvd for me. Like Last Samurai i was dissappointed with the low audio, but the pq is much better than Samurai. Both of those movies almost sound better in sd on my oppo. Luckily for me my system can go to isane volume levels without any distortion or hiss. supposedly if you have a setup that can fully process TrueHD then the audio problem is moot. (no pun intended) well, someday I will have a TrueHD DTS-HD capable system. For now its 1.5mbs for me. Still sounds great though

Beauty, thy name is KURO.
post #94 of 98 Old 12-13-2007, 11:18 AM

I saw part of this movie on HD-DVD, the PQ look good on my TV, and the AQ sound really nice too. The sound scared the crap out of me during the beginning where the Theater transformed back into it old glorious days. WOW!

Just dial up the volume when you experience low volume. After all, isn't that what the volume dial is for?? =D
post #95 of 98 Old 12-13-2007, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuadESL63 View Post

As for the singing... it is subpar most of the time esp. for the Phantom (wrong range) and Christine (too thin... not a full body voice. Need more vocal training). The supporting casts are actually not bad.

I agree the Phantom has the wrong range -- he really can't get those high notes without sounding ugly (no pun intended)

I disagree about Christine. I thought her voice was wonderful. Yes, it is not a Diva opera voice -- but that was the point. It was meant to be a stark comparison to Carlotta. Emmy Rossum has had child parts in opera, so she's no stranger to it. But, her voice is too "young" to have the power of a true opera performer. That is why she has not gone into an opera career. She herself said that a female singer needs to be at least 25 to have a voice for those parts.

I felt Emmy was the revelation of the movie -- a voice with true beauty, and looks to match. She was only 17 at the time of filming -- so we can't expect fat-lady power Thank goodness for microphones -- singers don't have to fill a hall with unamplified sound any more.

Of course, we could just have listened to Carlotta She was voiced by a very talented singer (and played over-the-top by Minnie Driver).
post #96 of 98 Old 12-13-2007, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordofDoubleD View Post

I think you're crazy. Phantom has amazing PQ and the audio is out of this world. We all know that the levels are a little low on the first titles but you shouldn't have had to max out your receiver. You need to set up your system correctly - and maybe calibrate your display while you're at it.

I loved the PQ, loved the AQ, and yes.. loved the movie! :P

I've officially gone PURPLE, thank you LG!
My Growing Video Collection
post #97 of 98 Old 12-13-2007, 12:58 PM
AVS Special Member

after all this time would be nice if the thread title could be changed to something like...

The Phantom of the Opera, what do you think?

what i think is that if you have a system setup that can provide about 10 db volume increase, this is one of the best discs available to demo hd dvd pq/aq.

i bookmarked all the best parts.
post #98 of 98 Old 12-13-2007, 01:34 PM
Advanced Member

Someone posted in another thread that the audio was louder when the TrueHD was bitstreamed rather than decoded in the player?
Reply HD DVD Software

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page