The official AVS Guide to HD DVD Authoring. - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 3176 Old 09-02-2006, 11:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ok I ask again, does anyone know how to add subtitles to either the .ts or mpeg files? There has to be a way, right?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 3176 Old 09-02-2006, 11:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capek View Post

Ok I ask again, does anyone know how to add subtitles to either the .ts or mpeg files? There has to be a way, right?

Sorry, can't help on this one. Certainly there is a way, but I don't know of any way of doing it with MF5. More expensive (and more full featured) authoring programs have to be able to do it.

Joe Clark

post #273 of 3176 Old 09-03-2006, 10:32 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I have been using the Intercom Super Mpeg2 Transcoder trial version, found it to be a fairly useful tool.
I wanted to actually purchase it, but can't seem to do so. Unless my browser is somehow blocking something on the Intercom site, there seems to be no way to actually purchase the software. I had to download the trial from download.com, because the trial version does not seen to be available on their site either.
Am I doing something wrong here, or is this software no longer available?
post #274 of 3176 Old 09-03-2006, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
You get a link to the sales version once you've paid for it.

Please, feel free to call me by my first name, Petri.
post #275 of 3176 Old 09-03-2006, 12:54 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by pteittinen View Post

You get a link to the sales version once you've paid for it.

That's just it.

On the purchase page, I don't get any link to actually pay for it. My browser or security settings must be blocking it. Do you have a direct link?

I'm using this page, but the "Order Product" button is not showing up.
http://www.intercom.co.jp/english/tr.../purchase.html
post #276 of 3176 Old 09-03-2006, 01:47 PM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 14
BLASST, what is the version of MF5?

Thanks
Gene
post #277 of 3176 Old 09-03-2006, 01:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal87 View Post

That's just it.

On the purchase page, I don't get any link to actually pay for it. My browser or security settings must be blocking it. Do you have a direct link?

https://www.regsoft.net/regsoft/view...roductid=74392

Please, feel free to call me by my first name, Petri.
post #278 of 3176 Old 09-03-2006, 02:07 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Got it. That worked. Thanks.
post #279 of 3176 Old 09-03-2006, 04:17 PM
AVS Special Member

I am a bit stuck here.

I am using the Nero toolset that came with my DVD burner.
The DVD burning tool in that toolset is called Nero Express Version 6

I am using a trial version of Ulead MF5 as the instructions say to do.

When I go to burn the DVD+R, Nero 6 complains that the DVD is not compliant because there are 2 missing files and it ejects the disk.

I checked the 'Ignore Compliant errors' Checkbox and let it try to burn but all I got was a blank disk.

Please see enclosed file. This is what Nero is complaining about.
Missing Video_ts.IFO and .BUP

I can not find these 2 files in any of the created folders on the hard disk.
Where/When are these created during the authoring process?

I followed the instructions to the letter and have the blank .VOB file in the Video folder as well as having the HDDVD folder in the root of the DVD.

I read through all these posts but did not find anyplace where it might have said to put a blank .IFO and .BUP file like it did for that .VOB file.

Any ideas of what I am doing wrong?

Thanks
LL
post #280 of 3176 Old 09-03-2006, 04:41 PM

Joe,

The two files you need in the VIDEO_TS folder are:

video_ts.ifo
video_ts.bup

That's it. No .evo file.

Robert
post #281 of 3176 Old 09-03-2006, 05:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Joe, here is what I did to get the original file back from the EVO. There might be a better way, but this works and is easy enough.

before getting rid of the TS file:
-using DGindex, extract the audio (File->Demux audio only)
-save this extracted file or burn it onto the dvd with the movie
-create the HD-DVD

to get the file back:
-using DGindex, selected all the EVO files on the disc
-Select File->Save project and Demux video
-using TMPGEnc, mux the video and audio. there is a nice little guide here for that http://www.hdtvtotal.com/module-page...1-pid-628.html

This leaves you with an mpeg. The above guide gives instructions on converting that to a TS if so desired.
post #282 of 3176 Old 09-03-2006, 06:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Q View Post

I am a bit stuck here.

I am using the Nero toolset that came with my DVD burner.
The DVD burning tool in that toolset is called Nero Express Version 6

I am using a trial version of Ulead MF5 as the instructions say to do.

When I go to burn the DVD+R, Nero 6 complains that the DVD is not compliant because there are 2 missing files and it ejects the disk.

I checked the 'Ignore Compliant errors' Checkbox and let it try to burn but all I got was a blank disk.

Please see enclosed file. This is what Nero is complaining about.
Missing Video_ts.IFO and .BUP

I can not find these 2 files in any of the created folders on the hard disk.
Where/When are these created during the authoring process?

I followed the instructions to the letter and have the blank .VOB file in the Video folder as well as having the HDDVD folder in the root of the DVD.

I read through all these posts but did not find anyplace where it might have said to put a blank .IFO and .BUP file like it did for that .VOB file.

Any ideas of what I am doing wrong?

Thanks

Ditto. That's the Nero version I have as well. The Authoring process (Movie Factory 5) only created HDDVD_TS folder.
post #283 of 3176 Old 09-03-2006, 08:06 PM
Advanced Member

I had Nero 6 and it kept turning out coasters. Then I downloaded Nero 7 trial version, then all the issues went away. I would try Nero 7 free trial just to rule out it's not the Nero 6 problem.
post #284 of 3176 Old 09-03-2006, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Clark View Post

Technique 2 (works with Nero 6 and 7):

a. Start Notepad or any word processor that allows you to create a .txt file. Leave the document blank (don't type in anything). Select File>Save and save the blank document as text (.txt format) in a handy place on your hard drive - call it VIDEO_TS.VOB (.txt will be added automatically). Open Windows Explorer and find your new text file. Right click on it and go to rename. Delete the .txt from the end. Ignore the Windows warning and click Yes. Your file should now appear as VIDEO_TS.VOB. Special note: if you can't see the .txt extension in Windows Explorer, it probably means you have your computer set to hide file extensions. Open Explorer and select from the menu Tools>Folder Options... . Select the "View" tab. Find the box for "Hide extensions for known file types." and deselect it. Click "OK." You should now be able to see the .txt extension.
b. Start Nero Burning ROM and select the Nero Burning ROM application.
c. In the left column, select DVD Video and click New.
d. In the right column, select the drive where the new VIDEO_TS.VOB file is located. Drag that file onto (on top of, not above it) the VIDEO_TS folder in the leftmost column. (Make sure it's in the VIDEO_TS folder, not in the root directory.)

Maybe I need to elaborate. The above is incorrect.

The required files in the VIDEO_TS folder are:
VIDEO_TS.IFO
VIDEO_TS.BUP

They may be created using the procedure above. Just create these 2 files instead of VIDEO_TS.VOB

However, a simpler procedure is to open windows explorer. Right click inside a folder. New > Text Document. Type VIDEO_TS.IFO. Click Yes at the file extension change warning. Repeat the procedure for the .BUP file.

Robert
post #285 of 3176 Old 09-03-2006, 09:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks Robert. I hope that works. I'm going to try that on a disk and take it to the retailer to see if it works, since I already returned the A1. If I can get it to work, I'll re-buy one.
post #286 of 3176 Old 09-03-2006, 10:14 PM

Any news of any more HD-DVD authoring tools? Nothing announced at IFA? Is DVD Studio Pro still broken?
post #287 of 3176 Old 09-03-2006, 10:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandmaster View Post

Any news of any more HD-DVD authoring tools? Nothing announced at IFA? Is DVD Studio Pro still broken?

Hey, Grandmaster, good to hear from you. Did I just miss a post, or have we not heard from you for a while? I was beginning to worry.

Sonic has announced HD DVD authoring tools, but nothing cheap that I know of.

Joe Clark

post #288 of 3176 Old 09-04-2006, 10:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAFABAMAD View Post

VIDEO_TS.IFO
VIDEO_TS.BUP

They may be created using the procedure above. Just create these 2 files instead of VIDEO_TS.VOB

However, a simpler procedure is to open windows explorer. Right click inside a folder. New > Text Document. Type VIDEO_TS.IFO. Click Yes at the file extension change warning. Repeat the procedure for the .BUP file.

Still didn't work. I just downloaded Nero 7. It's the last thing I know to try. I am able to play back the EVO files with VideoLan VLC. They also playback on the AVeL LinkPlayer2 if I rename the file extension to *.VOB

It looks to me like Ulead Movie Factory 5, Womble et all are working, just no joy when burning with Nero 6.3.

Took the disk to the retailer, here's what happened:

1.) Insert home brew HD-DVD disk, burned on Taiyo Yuden DVD+R with book-type bitsetting for -R compatibility, Plextor PX716A.

2.) "LOADING" <-- flashing

3.) "HD DVD"

4.) "PLAY"

5.) "Title 001 Ch 001"

6.) "Can Not Play Disk"

Again, next step try with Nero 7, back to retailer.

Sigh...
post #289 of 3176 Old 09-04-2006, 10:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene157 View Post

BLASST, what is the version of MF5?

Thanks
Gene

I just finished the try before you buy version online. Now I have to decide between MF5 or MF5+ to buy.

The Mod Squad: New vs. Classic TV Series Opening
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #290 of 3176 Old 09-04-2006, 12:44 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Okay, now I have a really strange problem that has yielded me three (dl) coasters over the weekend!! I recently received a couple of movies from a friend and were all on dvdr. The dvdr's were very strange though. All in 137meg chunks, no biggie but..when I went to join them, big problem. Although in Windows, the files were all in sequential (numerical) order, when I would use the copy command in dos (or even dir command) the files were ALL out of order and that is how they would attempt to copy. I then tried my software player (Theatertek) and that too would only play them out of synch.

I tried several things and nothing has so far been able to solve my problem. Since the files were on the dvdr as cdfs, I tried isobuster and extracted to a folder on the hard drive, wallah. Great, now that the files SEEM to be in order, I joined them, converted with Womble and ran through VS 10. Everything looks like it was done without a problem. Only problem is....none of these 3 discs worked. They would load, it would say hddvd, I would see the chapeter/disc info and then it would say "Can not play disc"!! Any ideas??
post #291 of 3176 Old 09-04-2006, 01:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Roper View Post

Still didn't work. I just downloaded Nero 7. It's the last thing I know to try. I am able to play back the EVO files with VideoLan VLC. They also playback on the AVeL LinkPlayer2 if I rename the file extension to *.VOB

It looks to me like Ulead Movie Factory 5, Womble et all are working, just no joy when burning with Nero 6.3.

Took the disk to the retailer, here's what happened:

1.) Insert home brew HD-DVD disk, burned on Taiyo Yuden DVD+R with book-type bitsetting for -R compatibility, Plextor PX716A.

2.) "LOADING" <-- flashing

3.) "HD DVD"

4.) "PLAY"

5.) "Title 001 Ch 001"

6.) "Can Not Play Disk"

Again, next step try with Nero 7, back to retailer.

Sigh...

I can't remember if yours is a double layer disc. If it is, the greater compatibility seems to be setting it to DVD-ROM booktype. I was not able to get any double layer discs to read on the A1 unless I wrote them with either my Mad Dog 6-in-1 or my Plextor 750s with booktype set to DVD-ROM. It didn't seem to mind if for single layer discs.

Joe Clark

post #292 of 3176 Old 09-04-2006, 08:52 PM

I have a Tsst corp. sh-s162a version to2 [samsung toshiba]dual layer burner. Am using memorex dvd+RW DL.....no coasters at all.Using nero 7........Picked up the burner at microcenter for 39.95 3 weeks ago.
post #293 of 3176 Old 09-05-2006, 02:02 AM

Quote:

Hey, Grandmaster, good to hear from you. Did I just miss a post, or have we not heard from you for a while? I was beginning to worry.

Sonic has announced HD DVD authoring tools, but nothing cheap that I know of.

Still here but kinda in lurk mode!!

I personally feel that we've reached an impasse really - we need better authoring tools to produce decent menu systems, and we really need AVC in order to produce better, standalone disks. MPEG2 simply doesn't cut it when faced with the storage constraints of red laser media.

In theory DVD Studio Pro will do everything I want. But bizarrely despite the support being completely broken in terms of AVC and menus, Apple does nothing about it.

Nero next gen authoring with AVC has been ready for donkey's years and yet it isn't being released.

The latest Movie Factory offering with BD support doesn't actually appear to work on the only BD player available, and I've still got no concrete evidence that the old MF offering actually produces working Blu-Ray disks.

The whole situation is absolutely bizarre. Perhaps if Ulead made a decent menu designer for MF I might actually be able to do something meaningful with it, but really, AVC is the future...

As it is, I strongly suspect that nothing is going to happen until the PS3 is out, which is an almighty shame IMO...
post #294 of 3176 Old 09-05-2006, 06:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I can't remember if yours is a double layer disc. If it is, the greater compatibility seems to be setting it to DVD-ROM booktype. I was not able to get any double layer discs to read on the A1 unless I wrote them with either my Mad Dog 6-in-1 or my Plextor 750s with booktype set to DVD-ROM. It didn't seem to mind if for single layer discs.

It's fixed. Nero 7.3 trial version download did it, X-box compatibility box checked, no-multisession checked. I have not tried any dual layer media yet. I re-purchased the A1, after watching my Sony HDV cam (Z1U) footage play on the A1 via HDMI to a 1080p Lcd monitor at BB. Wow...the footage held up respectably against the looping demo HD-DVD disk. I was agape at detail on the 1080p monitor.

What is less than stellar is the A1 720p output. In fact, it is a pathetic joke. It should not even be legal to market such poor output as HD. In summary, 1080i excellent, 720p forget it.
post #295 of 3176 Old 09-05-2006, 06:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandmaster View Post

Still here but kinda in lurk mode!!

I personally feel that we've reached an impasse really - we need better authoring tools to produce decent menu systems, and we really need AVC in order to produce better, standalone disks. MPEG2 simply doesn't cut it when faced with the storage constraints of red laser media.

In theory DVD Studio Pro will do everything I want. But bizarrely despite the support being completely broken in terms of AVC and menus, Apple does nothing about it.

Nero next gen authoring with AVC has been ready for donkey's years and yet it isn't being released.

The latest Movie Factory offering with BD support doesn't actually appear to work on the only BD player available, and I've still got no concrete evidence that the old MF offering actually produces working Blu-Ray disks.

The whole situation is absolutely bizarre. Perhaps if Ulead made a decent menu designer for MF I might actually be able to do something meaningful with it, but really, AVC is the future...

As it is, I strongly suspect that nothing is going to happen until the PS3 is out, which is an almighty shame IMO...

Hard to disagree with any of that, but what's even more amazing is that this process works at all at this stage in the development of next generation authoring. Remember how long it took for regular DVD authoring to become affordable?

In a year or two (hopefully sooner), we'll all look back on this as a primitive first step. For what it does, though, it's quick and easy and works pretty well. It's at least a solution, with no low cost alternative right now. That said, I look forward to the time when this sticky is removed as terminally obsolete.

Joe Clark

post #296 of 3176 Old 09-05-2006, 07:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Roper View Post

It's fixed. Nero 7.3 trial version download did it, X-box compatibility box checked, no-multisession checked. I have not tried any dual layer media yet. I re-purchased the A1, after watching my Sony HDV cam (Z1U) footage play on the A1 via HDMI to a 1080p Lcd monitor at BB. Wow...the footage held up respectably against the looping demo HD-DVD disk. I was agape at detail on the 1080p monitor.

What is less than stellar is the A1 720p output. In fact, it is a pathetic joke. It should not even be legal to market such poor output as HD. In summary, 1080i excellent, 720p forget it.

Isn't HDV on the A1 wonderful? It's a whole new world. And I was the guy ready to sit this one out!

Joe Clark

post #297 of 3176 Old 09-05-2006, 07:27 AM
Advanced Member

Nero 6.5 and lower versions seem to have issues with A1. I wish I went straight to Nero 7 to save myself so much frustration and time. Maybe Joe can put a note in the Guide for some new users of this process. If the burn fails try Nero 7 which doesn't seem to have any issues with A1 so far.
post #298 of 3176 Old 09-05-2006, 07:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

VIDEO_TS.IFO
VIDEO_TS.BUP

Thanks - I tried that and at least I got something different

This time, Nero Express 6 says "DVD Video file re-allocation failed - disk may be unplayabe"

It was.

Time to try Nero 7. Sure wish there was a single package to do all this.

If Nero 7 trial works then that means I have to buy it AND Ulead MF

Joe
post #299 of 3176 Old 09-05-2006, 08:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodobeHD View Post

Nero 6.5 and lower versions seem to have issues with A1. I wish I went straight to Nero 7 to save myself so much frustration and time. Maybe Joe can put a note in the Guide for some new users of this process. If the burn fails try Nero 7 which doesn't seem to have any issues with A1 so far.

Done.

I've been meaning to update the guide with some other info. Should get to that within a day or so.

Joe Clark

post #300 of 3176 Old 09-05-2006, 10:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

VIDEO_TS.IFO
VIDEO_TS.BUP

No luck with Nero version 7 doing the above.

It kept complaining that it could not find Video.ts.ifo so I simply put a VIDEO_TS.VOB file in the video folder.

Version 7 of Nero now complains about DVD compliance but it went ahead and burned the disc.

The disc plays just fine in the A1.

I tried without any file in the Video folder but Nero 7 greys out the Burn button.

So it looks like to be sucessful with this process you need to do:

1) Make sure you are using Nero version 7 as version 6.x does not work
2) put a blank VIDEO_TS.VOB file into the Video folder in Nero 7
3) put the HDDVD folder in the root of the dvd compilation in Nero 7
4) Burn the DVD
Reply HD DVD Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page