Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjsouth View Post

Using AllToAVI and Ulead Video Studio 11 Plus, I was able to create an
HD-DVD using DVD+R media. The HD files I used were in MKV format before I converted them in AllToAVI to XVID HD. For my HD-DVD I used a five minute sample of a 1080p movie. I have not tried larger files using my method.

1.) AllToAVI

Settins/
Locked Aspect Ratio,
Bi Cubic,
Video Encoder: XVID
Video Bitrate: 14086 (select 1000k from the drop down)
Audio Bitrate: 192

2.)Ulead Video Studio 11 Plus

Open Movie Wizard
Insert Video
Edit Title and Background Music Option for Your Menu
Create Disc
Select Standard HD-DVD from the "Current Project Type" drop down
Select 15GB HD-DVD (played fine for me)
Checkmark Menu Icon (You can choose to create a menu or not)
Click Next and Burn To HD-DVD

Ulead then creates the HD Folders and burns the disc. The results were excellent and the disc played fine on my HD-A2.

Can others in the forum here please post their latest tutorial. I want to see the methods Throtle Abuse and others are using from start to finish in a simple to understand guide like mine above. Please show the settings and programs used to create the disc. Thanks , J

About how long did Ulead take to create the HD folders after you clicked the Burn button? Did the total progress bar jump to 99% soon after you started the Ulead Burn?

Mike T
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3092 of 3176 Old 09-19-2008, 08:22 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ulead Creates the HD Folders while in burn mode and it takes under an hour. The burn process did not show a 99% jump at that stage. If I recall correctly the bar increases in normal fashion. I have not had any trouble with Ulead and burned my own HDV Cam film and a Nature HD 1080p clip with great success. Using a 2 minute clip of Iron Man BD I was able to convert it to DIVX HD with ALLTOAVI and then burn to HD-DVD. The result was perfect. Resolution same as the MKV file.

I have had trouble now with larger incodes of longer files using my ALLTOAVI method. With 10 minute clips or shorter I can convert files with ease and burn them on standard DVD+R and view them back on my Toshiba player.
However with longer movies and tv shows the conversion process has failed each time rendering an unplayable media file.

P.S. A 100mb MKV file of an HD clip will become larger using the settings I have described:

((Settins/
Locked Aspect Ratio,
Bi Cubic,
Audio Bitrate: 192))

Which results in a file size of at least 20MB larger. Using a Video Bitrate between 10086 and 14086 seems to work best for clear results and no image loss.
post #3093 of 3176 Old 09-26-2008, 10:02 PM

BigJ I will try and put together a step by step when I get some spare time.

Mike do you know does the file have to have an overall bitrate of less than 24 mbps? I just made a movie up and MF6+ wants to convert it. Here is the mediainfo. Is it converting because the average bitrate is 35.5 mbps. Something seems fishy. Did tsMuxeR do something odd as it was a 448 kbps audio file.

General
ID : 1
Complete name : G:\\SAMPLE.ts
Format : MPEG-TS
File size : 7.71 GiB
Duration : 1h 29mn
Overall bit rate : 12.4 Mbps
Maximum Overall bit rate : 35.5 Mbps

Video
ID : 4113 (0x1011)
Menu ID : 1 (0x1)
Format : AVC
Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile : High@L4.1
Format settings, CABAC : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames : 3 frames
Duration : 1h 28mn
Bit rate : 11.5 Mbps
Width : 1 920 pixels
Height : 1 080 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16/9
Frame rate : 29.970 fps
Resolution : 24 bits
Colorimetry : 4:2:0
Scan type : Progressive

Audio
ID : 4352 (0x1100)
Format : AC-3
Format/Info : Audio Coding 3
Bit rate mode : Constant
Bit rate : 448 Kbps
Channel(s) : 6 channels
Channel positions : Front: L C R, Rear: L R, LFE
Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
post #3094 of 3176 Old 09-27-2008, 09:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjsouth View Post

Ulead Creates the HD Folders while in burn mode and it takes under an hour. The burn process did not show a 99% jump at that stage. If I recall correctly the bar increases in normal fashion. I have not had any trouble with Ulead and burned my own HDV Cam film and a Nature HD 1080p clip with great success. Using a 2 minute clip of Iron Man BD I was able to convert it to DIVX HD with ALLTOAVI and then burn to HD-DVD. The result was perfect. Resolution same as the MKV file.

I have had trouble now with larger incodes of longer files using my ALLTOAVI method. With 10 minute clips or shorter I can convert files with ease and burn them on standard DVD+R and view them back on my Toshiba player.
However with longer movies and tv shows the conversion process has failed each time rendering an unplayable media file.

P.S. A 100mb MKV file of an HD clip will become larger using the settings I have described:

((Settins/
Locked Aspect Ratio,
Bi Cubic,
Audio Bitrate: 192))

Which results in a file size of at least 20MB larger. Using a Video Bitrate between 10086 and 14086 seems to work best for clear results and no image loss.

I don't think that Toshiba player can play XVID files, so MF6 must be re-encoding to mpeg2, so why do XVID encode? If you encode to H-264 using the HD-DVD profile MF6 will not re-encode and you will have the best video quality. Use MeGUI to encode with and you will need the HD-plugin for MF6+.

Mike T
post #3095 of 3176 Old 09-27-2008, 09:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrottleAbuse View Post

BigJ I will try and put together a step by step when I get some spare time.

Mike do you know does the file have to have an overall bitrate of less than 24 mbps? I just made a movie up and MF6+ wants to convert it. Here is the mediainfo. Is it converting because the average bitrate is 35.5 mbps. Something seems fishy. Did tsMuxeR do something odd as it was a 448 kbps audio file.

General
ID : 1
Complete name : G:\\SAMPLE.ts
Format : MPEG-TS
File size : 7.71 GiB
Overall bit rate : 12.4 Mbps
Maximum Overall bit rate : 35.5 Mbps

Video
ID : 4113 (0x1011)
Format : AVC
Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile : High@L4.1
Format settings, CABAC : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames : 3 frames
Duration : 1h 28mn
Bit rate : 11.5 Mbps
Width : 1 920 pixels
Height : 1 080 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16/9
Frame rate : 29.970 fps
Resolution : 24 bits
Colorimetry : 4:2:0
Scan type : Progressive

Audio
ID : 4352 (0x1100)
Format : AC-3
Format/Info : Audio Coding 3
Bit rate mode : Constant
Bit rate : 448 Kbps
Channel(s) : 6 channels
Channel positions : Front: L C R, Rear: L R, LFE
Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz

If it was encoded with the HD-DVD profile then the max rate would be 24 mbps and if it was not encoded with the HD-DVD profile it will not work in MF6 without re-encoding.

I have to keep typing short as I had shoulder surgery for a tear last wednesday and it is not fun!

Mike T
post #3096 of 3176 Old 09-27-2008, 03:07 PM

I looked at some more stuff and MF6 was seeing the file as 1920x1080 at 4:3 which is why it was trying to re encode the file. Dont know what happened. Maybe tsMuxer did something funky. I have created many a file that has the max rate of 35.5 mbps with MF6 and no issues. I ran Megui on the file again last night and will see if that works. The odd thing about it is if you look at the mediainfo it is saying 16/9. Dunno.

Also I had been using memorex DVD+R DL's and bought 2 25 disk spools and the first had about 6 duds and so I started burning at 2.4 for the rest of the disks and only had a couple more through the second 25 spool. So I bought some verbatim disks made in Singapore. So this is where it gets weird. I burned a movie last night on one at 2.4 with chapters every 5 minutes like I had been doing on most disks. Sure enough it goes to 6 min 28 seconds and freezes my A2 every time. Did the skip forward and back and no problems. Also skipped forward 4 chapters and watched with no problems. Strange huh. I didn't think of it till now, but I am going to try it with my A3 in the other room. Wonder if its the media, burn, or file. I will burn another copy tonight on a memorex to test.

The other odd thing I am having with chapters is sometimes if I add chapters at 5 minutes it will crash MF6. Like send error to microshaft crash. If I bump the time to 10 or sometimes it takes 15 minutes per chapter it doesn't crash. Dunno.
post #3097 of 3176 Old 09-28-2008, 06:34 AM

Chapters have always given me issues on playback. The Xbox 360 add-on handled them better but my HD A35 was always tripping up around the chapter points.

But since you have this new method, I think I ought to give it a whirl once I get back from Europe next week.

Have you tried lowering the bit rate just to test? It may be imperfections in the disc not catching up (especially since you said in the beginning it's not OK and later it is, the disc can go faster as it goes to the outside?) One thing I don't like about these DL discs is there's no RW that I can test on.
post #3098 of 3176 Old 09-28-2008, 04:22 PM

Maybe I should clarify what I have been doing. Sometimes when MF6 is adding chapters it crashes. So I do it at 10 or 15 minute intervals and MF6 ends up working then no problem.

As far as playback issues this is the first time I have had any problems with any chapter interval in my player. I will let you guys know what happens when I re burn the disk on the memorex.
post #3099 of 3176 Old 09-29-2008, 03:38 PM

I burned the same movie on a memorex with the same results. Stoppage at 6:28. Both my A2 and A3 had the same result. I burned another movie last night and it worked fine with 6 min interval. High video bitrate too. Dunno maybe it is something with the encode. Sometimes MeGUI simply screws up and doesnt encode the standalone-HD-DVD profile correctly. Dunno what the deal is.
post #3100 of 3176 Old 09-30-2008, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtallent View Post

I don't think that Toshiba player can play XVID files, so MF6 must be re-encoding to mpeg2, so why do XVID encode? If you encode to H-264 using the HD-DVD profile MF6 will not re-encode and you will have the best video quality. Use MeGUI to encode with and you will need the HD-plugin for MF6+.

Mike T

Hey Mike,
No I was not using MF6 only Ulead Studio 11 Plus, and some ALL2AVI for converts. The Ulead program is encoding the DIVX HD file into an HD-DVD profile which is an mpeg2 re-encode probably. Quality wise the results were the same great HD picture. I just used this method to see what would happen and then ran into trouble making larger than 10 minute files. I have not yet used MeGUI and will get MF6+ with HD Plugin later on.

Hey ThrottleAbuse I look forward to your process step by step guide Thanks!

I have all these HD shows I would like to transfer off the computer to share with family who also have an HD player. Im thinking of getting a 1 TB for all this HD content.
post #3101 of 3176 Old 10-01-2008, 08:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I've a question. I need to re-encode my videos to make them smaller. I seem to get better PQ (and higher bitrates) when I end up with 720p. However, when converting from 1080i to 720p I've found that I tend to get lip-sync issues if I deinterlace to 59.94 FPS, but do not get them if I do so to 29.97. The 29.97 FPS material plays fine, so is there really a need to use 59.94?
post #3102 of 3176 Old 10-02-2008, 03:06 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 26
Alright guys. I think I have this figured out, but I want to make sure. I'd like to make backups of my HD DVD's onto dual-layer DVD-R by copying the HDDVD_TS folder, but which files do I remove to make the movie fit onto the disc? Obviously, just the movie itself will fit, and I've already removed the ADV_OBJ folder, but I'm unsure which files to remove in the video folder. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I don't want to guess and start wasting dual-layer DVD's.

post #3103 of 3176 Old 10-03-2008, 04:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukon Trooper View Post

Alright guys. I think I have this figured out, but I want to make sure. I'd like to make backups of my HD DVD's onto dual-layer DVD-R by copying the HDDVD_TS folder, but which files do I remove to make the movie fit onto the disc? Obviously, just the movie itself will fit, and I've already removed the ADV_OBJ folder, but I'm unsure which files to remove in the video folder. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I don't want to guess and start wasting dual-layer DVD's.

You cannot backup HDDVDs on DVD-DL this way.

Laserdiscs: ~350
HiVision LDs: 42
HD DVD count: 379 / still 20 on the wishlist
post #3104 of 3176 Old 10-09-2008, 06:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yukon Trooper View Post

The best you can do without re-encoding is the following:

If the original movie is split in 2x Evo files and by removing audio tracks, the evo can fit a dual layer DVD, you can use Evodemux to do a rebuild by choosing the video and the audio track you want.

You'll have to do it for both evo files and you'll have to use 2x Dual-layer DVDs.

So your movie will be split on 2x DVDs dual-layer

Pitou!
post #3105 of 3176 Old 10-12-2008, 01:23 PM

Ok, I'm new to all of this HD DVD authoring with MF6+. I also tried reading up to get caught up in the processes to be done. I have a MKV file and extracted the contents and in the contents there is: h264 file, dts file, and subtitle scripts. Can someone please tell me what steps to do. I got lost when trying the steps in post 2934. Thanks in advance.
post #3106 of 3176 Old 10-15-2008, 11:37 AM

Blacknight. Get MeGUI and re-encode the video to the saved profile of standalond-HD-DVD. Then take the audio file and encode it with MeGUI audio side to AC3. Then if the file is 23.996 fps then use H264info to add the 3:2 pulldown. Then re mux with tsMuxeR. After that is finished create the HD DVD folder with MF6+ w/HD powerpack. After that burn with nero according to the first post of this thread.

BigJ I will try and get to a tutorial I just haven't had the time. Check out doom9 forum and the mkv to HD DVD thread in the meantime. Tons of good info there.

Mike you ever have issues with stuff Macroblocking? Not sure if that is what is happening, but ever since I started to turn up the bitrate over the original on some movies and shows it seems to macroblock on some fast scenes. I thought higher bitrate was supposed to help. When I was encoding everything at 8000ish I didn't seem to have issues. Now that some stuff is up to 11-13k I seem to be having issues. Not sure if this is the reason, but I didn't seem to have the problem before.
post #3107 of 3176 Old 10-15-2008, 11:44 AM

Thanks for the reply, I did have MeGui and attempted in using the program. I also noticed some people are using it to convert using the pulldown to take it but I cannot seem to locate this option on MeGui. Does anyone know where this option is?

Also heard some facts that MF6+ doesn't like DTS, so people are suggesting taking the dts and place into ac3.
post #3108 of 3176 Old 10-15-2008, 09:17 PM

I have not been successful using MeGUI to convert from 23.996 to 29.97. I always use h264info. Also I have been outputting the video as RAWAVC. And yes MF6 needs to have AC3 at 448 to not encode.
post #3109 of 3176 Old 10-18-2008, 11:33 AM

I wrote up the guide I was talking about and did a separate thread. If the mods want to combine it with this that is fine. I just didnt want it to get burried 100+ pages into this thread.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1076535
post #3110 of 3176 Old 10-20-2008, 08:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlacKnightZ View Post

Ok, I'm new to all of this HD DVD authoring with MF6+. I also tried reading up to get caught up in the processes to be done. I have a MKV file and extracted the contents and in the contents there is: h264 file, dts file, and subtitle scripts. Can someone please tell me what steps to do. I got lost when trying the steps in post 2934. Thanks in advance.

Similarly, I have a h264 file, a DTS file and AC3 file (converted from DTS) and subtitles files. I've also got a DTS .ts file, AC3 .ts file and .mkv file.

My problem is with MF6+. I can't get any .ts file to load. I can load the .h264 file into MF6+, so I'm guessing that's not the issue. What other program(s) can I use these files with to try to make a SL DVD that will play in an HD DVD player? It thinks for a while, and then comes back with "[XXX.ts] is not accessible.". The file's on a USB HD, but when I got the error with an earlier version and copied that .TS file to the desktop, I got the same error.

(I'm interested in any suggestions that might get this working, but I'm also very interested in any other software packages that might be available to try out.)

Enjoying my second TW4000 and my new screen.
As my wife said, "Wow, it really does look a lot better...and if I think that way, imagine how you must think it looks!"
post #3111 of 3176 Old 10-21-2008, 05:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteer01 View Post

Similarly, I have a h264 file, a DTS file and AC3 file (converted from DTS) and subtitles files. I've also got a DTS .ts file, AC3 .ts file and .mkv file.

My problem is with MF6+. I can't get any .ts file to load. I can load the .h264 file into MF6+, so I'm guessing that's not the issue. What other program(s) can I use these files with to try to make a SL DVD that will play in an HD DVD player? It thinks for a while, and then comes back with "[XXX.ts] is not accessible.". The file's on a USB HD, but when I got the error with an earlier version and copied that .TS file to the desktop, I got the same error.

(I'm interested in any suggestions that might get this working, but I'm also very interested in any other software packages that might be available to try out.)

MF6 will only accept H264 files that are encoded with the SA HD-DVD profile (SA=stand alone). I have encoded many mpeg2 and h264 files using MeGUI with the SA-HD-DVD profile, mux together with AC3 audio (448 kbps max) using tsMuxeR and MF6 has no problem with the .ts file, plays fine on my A2 and A30 players. Check the Doom9.org forum for more info on these programs.

For HD-DVD I think that MF6+ with HD-plugin or U-Lead Video Studio 11 are your only choices. I tried Pinnacle Studio 11 and it always wanted to re-encode any file I tried, and usually crashed before finishing.

Mike T
post #3112 of 3176 Old 10-21-2008, 11:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

MF6 will only accept H264 files that are encoded with the SA HD-DVD profile (SA=stand alone). I have encoded many mpeg2 and h264 files using MeGUI with the SA-HD-DVD profile, mux together with AC3 audio (448 kbps max) using tsMuxeR and MF6 has no problem with the .ts file, plays fine on my A2 and A30 players. Check the Doom9.org forum for more info on these programs.

For HD-DVD I think that MF6+ with HD-plugin or U-Lead Video Studio 11 are your only choices. I tried Pinnacle Studio 11 and it always wanted to re-encode any file I tried, and usually crashed before finishing.

Mike T

The lack of the HD Powerpack could very well be the problem, as I'm not able to have any luck with various files...is that not included with the TBYB demo? I'm not planning to buy MF6+ and the HD Powerpack, only to find out that I still can't get things working...

It's really unfortunate that support has dropped from VideoStudio X2, and that there's no easier way to do this... I'm tempted to give this idea up, and start working on reencoding things to play on my Xbox 360, and get a second Xbox for the other room and just move the USB HD back and forth.

Enjoying my second TW4000 and my new screen.
As my wife said, "Wow, it really does look a lot better...and if I think that way, imagine how you must think it looks!"
post #3113 of 3176 Old 10-22-2008, 01:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteer01 View Post

The lack of the HD Powerpack could very well be the problem, as I'm not able to have any luck with various files...is that not included with the TBYB demo? I'm not planning to buy MF6+ and the HD Powerpack, only to find out that I still can't get things working...

It's really unfortunate that support has dropped from VideoStudio X2, and that there's no easier way to do this... I'm tempted to give this idea up, and start working on reencoding things to play on my Xbox 360, and get a second Xbox for the other room and just move the USB HD back and forth.

I could not use H264 files with MF6 until I added the HD plugin. After adding it I have no problems with H264 files I make myself using the SA-HD-DVD profile. Before H264 I had made several hundred HD-DVD disks with MF6 using mpeg2 files. I believe that HD-DVD has been dropped in the new MF7 so you need to decide soon as they may pull the plug on the HD plugin.

I know there are several others on this thread that can make H264 .ts streams work with MF6.

Mike T
post #3114 of 3176 Old 12-04-2008, 06:29 PM

I just discovered this thread so I've only read a little bit so far. However, in the hopes of saving some time I will post what I want to do and hope someone can give me some guidance.

I want to rip a DVD. Convert that to H264 (or what ever format will easily be read by my A3) so that I can burn the movie unto a single layer DVD that will play on my A3.

Can this be done (preferably with free software if possible)? If so what do I need? If not, then please let me know so I don't waste my time.
post #3115 of 3176 Old 12-05-2008, 08:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS23 View Post

I just discovered this thread so I've only read a little bit so far. However, in the hopes of saving some time I will post what I want to do and hope someone can give me some guidance.

I want to rip a DVD. Convert that to H264 (or what ever format will easily be read by my A3) so that I can burn the movie unto a single layer DVD that will play on my A3.

Can this be done (preferably with free software if possible)? If so what do I need? If not, then please let me know so I don't waste my time.

I think it would be a waste of time. You cannot have a movie DVD using H264, so you would have to up-scale the DVD file to HDTV and then encode into H264 which takes 8-12 hours on A fast Quad core. Then author using DVD Movie Factory 6 which costs over $100 with the HD plug-in.

I can usually find dual layer DVD disks for under $1, usually around 70 cents each, just burn the DVD file unmodified onto a dual layer DVD disk. Or use DVDShrink to shrink the movie file to fit on a DVD disk. Either of these would be much easier than making an HDTV to play on your A3.

Mike T
post #3116 of 3176 Old 12-06-2008, 08:23 AM

Quote:

I think it would be a waste of time. You cannot have a movie DVD using H264, so you would have to up-scale the DVD file to HDTV and then encode into H264 which takes 8-12 hours on A fast Quad core. Then author using DVD Movie Factory 6 which costs over $100 with the HD plug-in.

I can usually find dual layer DVD disks for under $1, usually around 70 cents each, just burn the DVD file unmodified onto a dual layer DVD disk. Or use DVDShrink to shrink the movie file to fit on a DVD disk. Either of these would be much easier than making an HDTV to play on your A3.

Mike T

That was the impression I was getting. The more I read the more I realized it wouldn't be worth the time and effort. Thanks for the reply.
post #3117 of 3176 Old 12-15-2008, 05:25 PM

I have a Mpeg-ts file that is 1920x1080, but for some reason, Ulead Movie Factory reads it as 4:3. The HDpatch at the beginning of this thread will not recognize it (because it is h264 mpeg-ts). What can I do? Thanks!
post #3118 of 3176 Old 12-16-2008, 08:21 AM
Advanced Member

Did you try to process with MF6 and ignor the 4:3 and see if it plays correctly.

Use tsMuxeR and cut 1 or 2 seconds off the beginning of the file and see if this help.

Get H264info and load the .264 video file into it and it has a aspect ratio setting, you may have to de-mux with tsMuxeR if all you have is the .ts file.

Mike T
post #3119 of 3176 Old 12-23-2008, 07:45 PM

Liked: 11
So it looks like if you want a 720p resolution you have to use mpeg2 and then patch it before using MF6.

OR

Use MeGui and encode using SA-HD-DVD profile at 1080 resolution.

Now i know that h264 is supposed to have visibly better quality at the same bitrate as mpeg2, but what about this situation. Where its the same bitrate but mpeg2 is 720p and h264 is at 1080.

Before i try rendering both on my p4, i thought i might ask on here and cross my fingers.

Thanks in advance,
Moku
post #3120 of 3176 Old 12-24-2008, 11:39 PM

Liked: 11
Just finished encoding a 720 with mpeg-2. Comparing this to the original and there is a noticeable difference. I think i am going to go with h264 1080 after all. Thanks all
Reply HD DVD Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page