The official AVS Guide to HD DVD Authoring. - Page 106 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #3151 of 3176 Old 06-18-2009, 08:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Scippi, where did you find mkv converter?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3152 of 3176 Old 06-18-2009, 11:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by bordo32 View Post

Scippi, where did you find mkv converter?

I use tsMuxRGui. You can also use eac3to and other tools.
post #3153 of 3176 Old 07-06-2009, 09:40 AM

Liked: 10
ok so I have successfully burned 5 discs using the described method on the first page, however I have 2 problems, the first is with a movie whose audio starts out synched but then as it plays gets way out of synch. The video plays perfectly on my PC so should I jsut redo it and see if that works or did I maybe mess something up?

The second issue I am having is with HDPatch I get this error:

Initialization Error: Specified arument was out of range of valid values. Parameter name: '3' is not a validvalue for 'index'

what does that mean? Do I need to re-encode the video or is there something I can do to make it work? I can load the video into ulead but if I do it wants to re-encode it and the file sizes are too big.
post #3154 of 3176 Old 07-07-2009, 05:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
We need more info on the files, mpeg2? 1080i 0r 720P? what was the source? Did you encode them, if so with what and what kinds of settings? Are these transport streams .ts?

Mike T
post #3155 of 3176 Old 08-13-2009, 09:45 AM

Please check out this post, howto put AVC (H.264) on homebrew HD DVD. Sorry for promoting but I found it so wonderful...

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1170660

sandra
post #3156 of 3176 Old 10-08-2009, 10:02 AM

hai J.Clark, Nice work. keep it up. Expect a note on how 2 create Blue ray disc.
post #3157 of 3176 Old 10-08-2009, 10:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Actually, this thread is pretty much dead. Most folks have moved on to Blu-ray because of Toshiba's exit from the HD wars. As it turns out, Blu-ray on regular DVD is generally easier, although there are problems there, too. I think there are a few threads on Blu-ray creation here on AVS, but I haven't followed any of them regularly. For the most part, though, I don't do a lot of archiving onto Blu-ray DVDs, either. I use UnRAID and archive my HD captures from Dish and OTA (and my own HD video projects) to the server. Barring natural disaster or theft, it's probably a safer way to archive than DVD. The life span of DVD recordables is an issue long-term. And with a media server, everything is accessible immediately.

Joe Clark

post #3158 of 3176 Old 10-31-2009, 01:44 PM
AVS Special Member

I've been using videoredo to edit then multiAVCHD 3.0 to do my caps to AVCHD that play on most blu ray players now too. It is faster now then the conversions to HD-DVD were for the most part which is part of why I stuck with HD-DVD for so long, the conversion was very fast and looked great.
BUT most of the family now has or will soon get a blu ray player and that makes it a almost universal format that is portable and is full hd for cheap on dvd media.
The program and all that was mentioned here, possibly in this thread but it is on here for anybody wanting a simple way to do this format.
post #3159 of 3176 Old 11-17-2009, 09:27 AM

Liked: 11
I guess I am late to this game. Just bought a cheap HDDVD player and start looking for ways to make my own HDDVD. Have used multiAVCHD and MovieFactory to successfully create playable HDDVD on blank DVD with chapters and subtitle support. Now I wonder if there is any way to put in more than 1 subtitle or audio track, which is pretty easy with tsMuxer and AVCHD/BD.
post #3160 of 3176 Old 11-17-2009, 09:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Clark View Post

Actually, this thread is pretty much dead. Most folks have moved on to Blu-ray because of Toshiba's exit from the HD wars. As it turns out, Blu-ray on regular DVD is generally easier, although there are problems there, too. I think there are a few threads on Blu-ray creation here on AVS, but I haven't followed any of them regularly. For the most part, though, I don't do a lot of archiving onto Blu-ray DVDs, either. I use UnRAID and archive my HD captures from Dish and OTA (and my own HD video projects) to the server. Barring natural disaster or theft, it's probably a safer way to archive than DVD. The life span of DVD recordables is an issue long-term. And with a media server, everything is accessible immediately.

I think you mean AVCHD on regular DVD. I believe BD-9 actualy requires a AACS license.

Now, on the subject of archiving, we agree. I'm loathe to look for additional Blu-ray/HD DVD players for the house these days. I'm more likely to look at network storage and these inexpensive network set-top players.

Drop me a PM re: the Dish HD captures. I wasn't aware of an easy method (baring using a Hauppauge plus an optional HDFury2) to archive (free of DRM) HD content from Dish.
post #3161 of 3176 Old 11-17-2009, 12:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by allargon View Post

I think you mean AVCHD on regular DVD. I believe BD-9 actualy requires a AACS license.

Now, on the subject of archiving, we agree. I'm loathe to look for additional Blu-ray/HD DVD players for the house these days. I'm more likely to look at network storage and these inexpensive network set-top players.

Drop me a PM re: the Dish HD captures. I wasn't aware of an easy method (baring using a Hauppauge plus an optional HDFury2) to archive (free of DRM) HD content from Dish.

I was talking about creating Blu-ray like disc structures on regular DVDs (AVCHD), for playback on regular Blu-ray players, in a similar fashion as we did for HD DVD.

All my Dish captures are courtesy of Nextcom - as we've talked about from day 1 in this thread. I've been using a modified Dish 211 to capture streams. It captures both MPEG2 and Dish's version of MPEG4 (though I don't think Dish is doing MPEG2 anymore). It replaced my Dish 6000 HD receiver. I've had success creating AVDHD discs of both types of content (MPEG2 and Dish MPEG4) for playback on regular Blu-ray players. I've also had some failures. Not all set top players are compatible. I didn't pursue it once I decided not to archive to regular DVD discs anymore.

The "Blu-ray" iso's I create using tsMuxerGUI are all playable on the computer. I use PowerDVD Ultra and Virtual Clone Drive (to mount the iso's). Once tsMuxer massages the files, creates the chapters, and builds the Blu-ray folders, I use ImgBurn to create Blu-ray iso's. It's then a one-click process to mount and play them back, with full access to regular fast forward, rewind, chapter skip, pause, play, stop, etc., from a Media Center Remote. It's just like playing a regular Blu-ray disc from the computer.

Blu-ray iso's of regular OTA captures from all the usual sources are just as easy to create. I capture the MPEG2 files (in my case, usually with MyHD), use the same techniques as described in this guide to edit them (VideoRedo), then use tsMuxer and ImgBurn to create the Blu-ray iso's.

I like this process better than the HD DVD creation process. It eliminates the need to worry about particular discs or burners, or set top players being compatible. Although I still run into the occasional file that doesn't seem to play back 100% smoothly, for the most part it's a quicker and easier process than it was with HD DVD.

I've thought about doing a guide for this process, too, but I think there are other guides on AVS for doing similar things. If there's enough interest, though, and it doesn't step on others' toes, I might throw something together for Blu-ray, that would detail these steps more fully.

Joe Clark

post #3162 of 3176 Old 03-25-2010, 05:48 AM

Using both Ripbot and Mkvtoolnix, I am able to get fantastic .mkv slide show presentations from my Movie Factory EOV's, but I get NO audio. I need the hi-def mkv's so I can present this slide show on a 110" screen and at std def it looks pretty bad.
I'm sure its because I'm doing something incorrectly. Can someone point me in the proper direction please?

Ferrets are Family/ Ferrets Corner
post #3163 of 3176 Old 03-25-2010, 08:05 AM
AVS Special Member

The first thing to do is determine if the audio stream got extracted (demuxed) properly.

Look in your ripbot job folder for an audio stream. Assuming you set ripbot to use the C drive, the first job folder will be "C:\ emp\\RipBot264temp\\job1". Is there an audio stream there? Can you play it? If there is and you can play it, you can try muxing it with the video stream (which will be "C:\ emp\\RipBot264temp\\video.264") using something like tsmuxer (which is installed with ripbot and stored in ripbot's tools folder).

I've never used Mkvtoolnix, but there might be a way to do it with that.

Another option would be to use something like HdBrStreamExtractor or even eac3to to extract the streams yourself and then remux them.
post #3164 of 3176 Old 03-25-2010, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyrax View Post

The first thing to do is determine if the audio stream got extracted (demuxed) properly.

Look in your ripbot job folder for an audio stream. Assuming you set ripbot to use the C drive, the first job folder will be "C:\ emp\\RipBot264temp\\job1". Is there an audio stream there? Can you play it? If there is and you can play it, you can try muxing it with the video stream (which will be "C:\ emp\\RipBot264temp\\video.264") using something like tsmuxer (which is installed with ripbot and stored in ripbot's tools folder).

I've never used Mkvtoolnix, but there might be a way to do it with that.

Another option would be to use something like HdBrStreamExtractor or even eac3to to extract the streams yourself and then remux them.

Thanks, I will work on it tonite.

post #3165 of 3176 Old 03-25-2010, 11:37 AM
AVS Special Member

I reread my post and noticed my last sentence was not very precise. You'd use HdBrStreamExtractor or eac3to to extract the the streams from the EVO files and tehn use tsmuxer (or MKVToolNix?) to build the MKV file from those streams.
post #3166 of 3176 Old 03-26-2010, 06:37 AM

Quote:

I reread my post and noticed my last sentence was not very precise. You'd use HdBrStreamExtractor or eac3to to extract the the streams from the EVO files and tehn use tsmuxer (or MKVToolNix?) to build the MKV file from those streams.

Thank you so very much. You "saved my life" with this post. I was up till 3 this morning, but I finally got it all done. Thanks again

post #3167 of 3176 Old 03-26-2010, 10:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks! And my wife laughs at me for all of the time I spend playing with this stuff.
post #3168 of 3176 Old 11-22-2010, 06:08 AM

Question,

has anyone here actually authored an HD DVD using NERO Vision or Ulead using actual HD DVD R Media.

I ask because I have 3 HD DVD R writers and 11 blanks discs and want to continue making the HD DVD R's for my indie films. So far I have ripped 10 discs which according to the writer were successful, but won;t show up in the A30 or A35 units (Reads No Disc) yet on my Hard Drive the file structure looks correct and plays fine.

I am using a Toshiba SDL912A with FW TS01 and RiDisc 15gb HD DVD R Media? Any assistance would be appreciated.

writer and director DEADLANDS 2: TRAPPED

HD-DVD 321(Crank, The Prestige, No Reservations, Happy Gilmore)
Blu-Ray 75 (Gladiator/Braveheart)
post #3169 of 3176 Old 11-22-2010, 06:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

My advice? Put your indie films on Blu-ray. Pursuing HD DVD at this point is an exercise in futility. Long term, Blu-ray will die, too, but HD DVD is already dead. At least with Blu-ray there will be a few more years of relevance.

Joe Clark

post #3170 of 3176 Old 11-22-2010, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Clark View Post

My advice? Put your indie films on Blu-ray. Pursuing HD DVD at this point is an exercise in futility. Long term, Blu-ray will die, too, but HD DVD is already dead. At least with Blu-ray there will be a few more years of relevance.

I have done that already, but Deadlands 2, was done on HD DVD and was a HUGE success. now those who bought Deadlands 2 want Deadlands 1 to complete the set, and I want to give it to them I have the blanks and the writers, just having an issue getting the successfully burned discs to play in the units, yet play on the PC through my HD DVD unit fine.

Hence why I am looking for some help and guidance. Also keep this in mind, as a filmmaker going against the norm tends to make people take a closer look at your stuff as opposed to going the everybody knows about Blu-Ray route.

writer and director DEADLANDS 2: TRAPPED

HD-DVD 321(Crank, The Prestige, No Reservations, Happy Gilmore)
Blu-Ray 75 (Gladiator/Braveheart)
post #3171 of 3176 Old 11-22-2010, 12:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DjfunkmasterG View Post

I have done that already, but Deadlands 2, was done on HD DVD and was a HUGE success. now those who bought Deadlands 2 want Deadlands 1 to complete the set, and I want to give it to them I have the blanks and the writers, just having an issue getting the successfully burned discs to play in the units, yet play on the PC through my HD DVD unit fine.

Hence why I am looking for some help and guidance. Also keep this in mind, as a filmmaker going against the norm tends to make people take a closer look at your stuff as opposed to going the everybody knows about Blu-Ray route.

Sorry I can't be of any help. I never bought an HD DVD writer or media, so I have zero experience with such burns. I know that with AVCHD burns, iso's and discs play just fine on the computer, but having some parts of the file structure wrong make them incompatible with regular Blu-ray players. There may be a comparable issue with HD DVD at work with your burns.

Joe Clark

post #3172 of 3176 Old 11-24-2010, 08:22 AM
AVS Special Member

I've one warning about authoring HD DVDs. If you have a choice, make as few .evo files as possible.

I'm trying to convert the HD DVD's I authored on DVDs to AVCHD disks and have found a problem with audio syncing. The .evo files are all 1G on my HD DVDs and I concatenate them all together when converting to AVCHD. I notice there is a small audio delay after each .evo file. By the time I've concatenate 8 or 16 files together, the audio is hopelessly out of sync.

The only way I see around this is to rather tedious. It would be far better if I just had one .evo file per disk.
post #3173 of 3176 Old 11-24-2010, 10:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I've one warning about authoring HD DVDs. If you have a choice, make as few .evo files as possible.

I'm trying to convert the HD DVD's I authored on DVDs to AVCHD disks and have found a problem with audio syncing. The .evo files are all 1G on my HD DVDs and I concatenate them all together when converting to AVCHD. I notice there is a small audio delay after each .evo file. By the time I've concatenate 8 or 16 files together, the audio is hopelessly out of sync.

The only way I see around this is to rather tedious. It would be far better if I just had one .evo file per disk.
What do you use to convert HD DVD to AVCHD? I use Clown BD and eac3to to convert my commercial HD DVDs to Blu-ray, and I can't recall running into sync issues - but HD DVD commercial discs typically have only a couple of .evo files.

Didn't I see you over in the RS40 thread, Hyrax? I'm really looking forward to getting that projector.

Joe Clark

post #3174 of 3176 Old 11-24-2010, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Yes, Joe I pre-ordered RS40. And am also looking forward to it (just don't tell my Benq 8720).
I just have the sync problem with just the disks I authored myself with ULead. I think Commercial HD DVDs most often only have two evo file for the movie - I've not tried to convert any of them yet, tho.

I've tried everything BD Clown, Tsremux, HdBrStreamExtractor, RipBot264. They all have the problem. What I'm next going to try is convertnig the individual to m2ts files, adjust the audio on each file and then use Tsremux to join them. I've got 50+ disks to do that with...
post #3175 of 3176 Old 12-01-2010, 05:23 PM
Advanced Member

Try using eac3to directly from the disk to merge the evo's and demux the file.

Mike T
post #3176 of 3176 Old 12-02-2010, 09:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Mike-
That is what I'm doing, but I have to adjust the audio on each .evo file. eac3to calculates the adjustment for me, but I need to go through an additional step for each evo file.

By the way this just happens with my own recordings. I started with MPEG files, which may be the entire problem.
Reply HD DVD Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page