The official AVS Guide to HD DVD Authoring. - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #541 of 3176 Old 10-18-2006, 08:40 AM
Member
 
xsrsmithx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Battle Ground WA. USA
Posts: 129
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'm fixing to jump into HD DVDs. I currently record all my HD via Dish 211 with R5000 mod. I have been editing and dumping to DVHS. I would like to record onto something more permenant such as the HD DVD. I have skimmed this thread several times and haven't got a definitive answer on what the quality will be when converting a .ts file to the HD DVD format. Many say it's very good. I'm wanting to know if it is same as or exactly the same HD quality as the original .ts file? If not, I will wait until they come out with the internal PC HD DVD recorders and just copy and play the data .ts file from HD DVD disc via MyHD card.

Any comments on the actual quality would be helpful. Sorry if it has been covered and I just couldn't find a good answer in this thread.

Steve
xsrsmithx is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #542 of 3176 Old 10-18-2006, 08:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
Joseph Clark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 10,358
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsrsmithx View Post

I'm fixing to jump into HD DVDs. I currently record all my HD via Dish 211 with R5000 mod. I have been editing and dumping to DVHS. I would like to record onto something more permenant such as the HD DVD. I have skimmed this thread several times and haven't got a definitive answer on what the quality will be when converting a .ts file to the HD DVD format. Many say it's very good. I'm wanting to know if it is same as or exactly the same HD quality as the original .ts file? If not, I will wait until they come out with the internal PC HD DVD recorders and just copy and play the data .ts file from HD DVD disc via MyHD card.

Any comments on the actual quality would be helpful. Sorry if it has been covered and I just couldn't find a good answer in this thread.

Steve

There's no impact on video or audio quality. This process just reformats the file to EVO that plays in the Toshiba. If you can get your MyHD card to play .ts files from the computer's DVD drive without hiccups or freezes (I can't), then this process is less attractive.

Joe Clark

Joseph Clark is offline  
post #543 of 3176 Old 10-18-2006, 11:58 AM
Senior Member
 
Eugene157's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Palm Springs area
Posts: 376
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I will take a look, being a S10 user.
Gene
Eugene157 is offline  
post #544 of 3176 Old 10-18-2006, 02:27 PM
Senior Member
 
Eugene157's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Palm Springs area
Posts: 376
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 14
From Pinnacle forum EUGENE1

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The 10.7 version of Pinnacle S10 will burn HD-DVD on red DVD.

Just did a short 4 min HD-DVD burn to a 4.7 red DVD and it played fine in my Toshiba player.
No menues etc just wanted to check it out.
However you have to fork over $50 for the plug in, that was a 1 sec. decision.
There was some rendering involved, it took app 35 min for the image, and a few more minutes to burn.

Glad to have that feature, was using trial MF5 so far and was getting ready to buy it.

Fantastic to do capture, edit and HD-DVD burn all in one program!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
GREAT JOB PINNACLE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gene

Same forum , from Blackbill

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I bought the Toshiba Hd-dvd player this morning and tested the pinnacle HD plugin (burned a disk).

And the bloody thing worked perfectly!!!! A beautiful picture!!

The plugin cost $50... and it's worth EVERY PENNY!

The 5.1 surround even works. You can fit about 20 minutes on a single layer disk (haven't tested the doubles yet), but the bit rate is completely adjustable so if you knock down from 25M to 20M you can get 30 minutes on a disk without too much difference in quality.
Signature:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Canada...
mosquitoes in the Summer and scared thermometers in the Winter...
I would not for a second choose to live elsewhere!
Eugene157 is offline  
post #545 of 3176 Old 10-18-2006, 03:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
Joseph Clark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 10,358
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene157 View Post

From Pinnacle forum EUGENE1

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The 10.7 version of Pinnacle S10 will burn HD-DVD on red DVD.

Just did a short 4 min HD-DVD burn to a 4.7 red DVD and it played fine in my Toshiba player.
No menues etc just wanted to check it out.
However you have to fork over $50 for the plug in, that was a 1 sec. decision.
There was some rendering involved, it took app 35 min for the image, and a few more minutes to burn.

Glad to have that feature, was using trial MF5 so far and was getting ready to buy it.

Fantastic to do capture, edit and HD-DVD burn all in one program!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
GREAT JOB PINNACLE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gene

Same forum , from Blackbill

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I bought the Toshiba Hd-dvd player this morning and tested the pinnacle HD plugin (burned a disk).

And the bloody thing worked perfectly!!!! A beautiful picture!!

The plugin cost $50... and it's worth EVERY PENNY!

The 5.1 surround even works. You can fit about 20 minutes on a single layer disk (haven't tested the doubles yet), but the bit rate is completely adjustable so if you knock down from 25M to 20M you can get 30 minutes on a disk without too much difference in quality.
Signature:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Canada...
mosquitoes in the Summer and scared thermometers in the Winter...
I would not for a second choose to live elsewhere!

Thanks, Eugene. Could you double check on the need to render video and audio? 35 minutes for a 4 minute video means some really long rendering times. That's one of MF5's greatest strengths (not having to render compatible files) and the reason I find it so attractive.

Joe Clark

Joseph Clark is offline  
post #546 of 3176 Old 10-18-2006, 05:08 PM
Senior Member
 
Eugene157's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Palm Springs area
Posts: 376
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Yes, that bothers me too, but my video files may have been nonstandard because I played with a higher bit rate.

Will have to see what Blackbill's experience is.
Gene
Eugene157 is offline  
post #547 of 3176 Old 10-18-2006, 06:39 PM
Senior Member
 
Eugene157's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Palm Springs area
Posts: 376
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Blackbill reports that a 5 min video took app 10 min from placing onto the timeline to burned DVD in hand.
Gene
Eugene157 is offline  
post #548 of 3176 Old 10-18-2006, 08:07 PM
Senior Member
 
dv13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 229
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Mr. Clark...
first thanks so much for your posts and your time and expertise. I am just jumping into HD so am a newbie and beg your patience in this post. I have some questions and would like to clarify some things from your initial post if you don't mind...I will separate the questions so you can respond to each, if you would...

First I will be using directtv and their dvdr.

1. Does the brand/model of dvdr matter as far as quality of the HD record?
If it matters can you recommend one that will produce the best quality with directv?

2. What does the DVDR record the HD movie or stream to, a file type or what, on the hdd?

3. On your hardware list, you said a device that allows mpeg2 captures to computer. By this did you mean a dvdr that will record the HD and then allow it to be transferred to a computer? Or a dvdr and then another device for transferring?

4. For transfer to computer is usb2 enough? firewire not required?

5. you said i will need to convert directtv 1088i to 1081i...is there any quality loss in this? And is there a way to tell what i it is and if is 720p or not? (my Hd not installed yet...2 wks tho)

6, The three software requirements...are those optional, i.e. pick one of the three....or are the three necessary, each software performing a unique funtion...i.e. womble transfers from dvdr to computer, ulead creates the disk and nero burns? Or is there a good program out there that does it all? I have invested some in Canopus, and wondered if you are familiar with them and if perhaps they have something that would work?

7. Doesn't Ulead also burn cd's and dvd's and would it not burn an HD dvd?

8. As for burning software if Ulead moivie factory won't burn it, is Nero required or are there other programs out there that will burn an HD dvd? I am not too fond of Nero..I use Roxio Creator 9....but if there are other softwares out there for burning HD dvd's I would like to look...

9. I guess my main question is the software you listed are examples of what to use, but there may be other software options out there?

10. And last but not least, thru all of this , transfer, converting and making the Hd folder, is there any losss of quality in the video?


And again, if moviefactory willl burn the folder to dvd, is there a any speciall reason you would not use it but use nero instead?


thanks again so much and I would appreciate responses to each question as I am learning this new technology and getting HD installed in a couple weeks.

Oh and 2 more questions..

with SD, we try to get a recorder to record the best quality dvd we can of a movie, game or whatever...is that a concern with HD? i.e. with sd you have 2 hrs to a disk, 4 hrs, 1 hr and so on. Through the process of capturing all the way thru to burning to the dvd, is the final quality on dvd the same exact as the broadcast or is there a little loss?

Is it possible and would it be recommended if so, to capture straight to a computer via a capture card or something? or what would you need?

Do I need to worry about bitrate and that type of stuff and if so which gives the best quality, ir that part of the process?

Lastly, other than viewing is there any way to know if your finished product is actually an HD movie? a special file type or something?

thanks again...t
dv13 is offline  
post #549 of 3176 Old 10-18-2006, 08:18 PM
Senior Member
 
dv13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 229
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
One other question, sort of partial authoring question.

Since dvd's won't hold a whole lot of HD, let's say I wanted to save several shows or games that were HD....I capture them to the DVDR....how would I go about storing them on a separate device..i.e. hdd or something for later when blu ray is affordable? and how would I go about transferring them to a storage device? Any sugestions for storage devices...will hdd's work?


also since you know i will be getting hd directtv, what is the best hardware to get from them for these tasks? i.e. tivo, dvr, etc and what other can i get from them to help and which is the best for what i want to do?


thanks...t
dv13 is offline  
post #550 of 3176 Old 10-19-2006, 12:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
Joseph Clark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 10,358
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 99
dv13,

Lots of questions there. Let's get to the basics for someone subscribing to DirecTV:

You send your compatible DirecTV satellite receiver to Nextcom for the R5000 mod. When it's finished you have a device that connects to your computer via USB2. You don't need a DirecTV DVR (it's called a DVR or PVR, not a DVDR). A simple receiver is sufficient. As far as I'm concerned, it's actually better not to have a DVR, since scheduled recordings could easily conflict between the DVR's timers and the R5000's timers. See the first post for a link to the Nextcom site (for a list of DirecTV compatible receivers).

With software, you set up captures from the satellite to the computer. You don't take recordings from a D* DVR. They are recorded directly to the computer. What you get are files on the computer that are MPEG2 transport stream. You convert those MPEG2 transport stream files to program stream format with Womble (or VideoRedo).

You import those program stream files into MovieFactory 5 and create the HD DVD folders on the computer's hard drive. They are identical to the original broadcast in picture and sound quality. (DirecTV users have to use texmex's simple program to convert 1088i to 1080i. You don't lose any quality there either.) A program such as HDTVtoMPEG2 or TSReader Lite can give you information on what type of HD file you have recorded.

You can then use Media Creator 9 or Nero to burn the HD DVD folder to a regular DVD recordable. Ulead at first burned the HD DVD for you, but that feature was removed. At some point, it will probably be added again, but right now it's not there.

So, you can use alternate software, except for MovieFactory 5. There is another thread which says that Pinnacle Studio 10.7 (beta) can import, create and burn an HD DVD program onto regular DVD's, all within the one piece of software, but I haven't had a chance to use it.

Honestly, it sounds like you have a lot of questions unanswered at this point. Before you invest in anything, I'd suggest you go back and read the quide again. Make sure you understand each step of the process, hardware and software, before you buy. Although it's not rocket science, you want to know what you're getting into.

To sum up, what you end up with using this process is HD DVD's that have picture and sound quality that should be virtually identical to the original broadcast. As for your second post, remember that you capture directly to the computer's hard drive, not to a DVR first. The best way to archive shows longer than will fit onto double layer discs is to keep them on the hard drive (not too safe) or to break them into parts and store them on multiple DVD's, waiting for the time when HD DVD recordable or Blu-ray recordable discs are available.

Lastly, please don't call me Mr. Clark. That's my dad's title and it gives me way too much respect. I'm just a compiler of this information. There are lots of folks here who understand all this much better than I do.

Good luck.

Joe Clark

Joseph Clark is offline  
post #551 of 3176 Old 10-19-2006, 12:42 AM
Senior Member
 
dv13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 229
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Clark View Post

dv13,

Lots of questions there. Let's get to the basics for someone subscribing to DirecTV:

You send your compatible DirecTV satellite receiver to Nextcom for the R5000 mod. When it's finished you have a device that connects to your computer via USB2. You don't need a DirecTV DVR (it's called a DVR or PVR, not a DVDR). A simple receiver is sufficient. As far as I'm concerned, it's actually better not to have a DVR, since scheduled recordings could easily conflict between the DVR's timers and the R5000's timers. See the first post for a link to the Nextcom site (for a list of DirecTV compatible receivers).

With software, you set up captures from the satellite to the computer. You don't take recordings from a D* DVR. They are recorded directly to the computer. What you get are files on the computer that are MPEG2 transport stream. You convert those MPEG2 transport stream files to program stream format with Womble (or VideoRedo).

You import those program stream files into MovieFactory 5 and create the HD DVD folders on the computer's hard drive. They are identical to the original broadcast in picture and sound quality. (DirecTV users have to use texmex's simple program to convert 1088i to 1080i. You don't lose any quality there either.) A program such as HDTVtoMPEG2 or TSReader Lite can give you information on what type of HD file you have recorded.

You can then use Media Creator 9 or Nero to burn the HD DVD folder to a regular DVD recordable. Ulead at first burned the HD DVD for you, but that feature was removed. At some point, it will probably be added again, but right now it's not there.

So, you can use alternate software, except for MovieFactory 5. There is another thread which says that Pinnacle Studio 10.7 (beta) can import, create and burn an HD DVD program onto regular DVD's, all within the one piece of software, but I haven't had a chance to use it.

Honestly, it sounds like you have a lot of questions unanswered at this point. Before you invest in anything, I'd suggest you go back and read the quide again. Make sure you understand each step of the process, hardware and software, before you buy. Although it's not rocket science, you want to know what you're getting into.

To sum up, what you end up with using this process is HD DVD's that have picture and sound quality that should be virtually identical to the original broadcast. As for your second post, remember that you capture directly to the computer's hard drive, not to a DVR first. The best way to archive shows longer than will fit onto double layer discs is to keep them on the hard drive (not too safe) or to break them into parts and store them on multiple DVD's, waiting for the time when HD DVD recordable or Blu-ray recordable discs are available.

Lastly, please don't call me Mr. Clark. That's my dad's title and it gives me way too much respect. I'm just a compiler of this information. There are lots of folks here who understand all this much better than I do.

Good luck.

thanks for your reply...yes a lot of questions...i am just jumping into this HD world.


i did not see a link for the nexcomm in the initial post but will look tomorrow...but i assume that the R5000 does not come from directtv and i need to buy it? and would I be correct in doing this we are just bypassing the record to dvr and then transferring to computer from dvr, in jut one step, which makes sense. How fast a hard drive to I need for this, or will a normal 7200 rpm drive work or sata drive or do i need a special scsi or firewire drive?

the software i set up to capture from satellite to computer then is installed on the computer right? does that software come with the r 5000 or which software might that be? or is that what wombie is, to capture from satellite to computer?


i don't have a prob with ulead movie factory 5 as it would be an upgrade to me..


ok, I thnk I get most of the picture from your reply and going back thru your initial post....the only lingering question is what software is used to set up to capture from the satellite to computer....and from what you said firewire is not needed, just usb 2, right?

Researching a little more a little while ago...i have a 3.2 ghz prescott on an asus p4c800 motherboard with 2 gigs of ram..is that enough and so i need fast firewire hardrives so i don't lose any frames? or will regular hard drives handle the capture fine?(i as reading this at videoguys.com)

were i to break up and put on dvds for storage any recommended program to do that with?

that's about it for now..and I do thank you...t
dv13 is offline  
post #552 of 3176 Old 10-19-2006, 08:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
Joseph Clark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 10,358
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by dv13 View Post

thanks for your reply...yes a lot of questions...i am just jumping into this HD world.


i did not see a link for the nexcomm in the initial post but will look tomorrow...but i assume that the R5000 does not come from directtv and i need to buy it? and would I be correct in doing this we are just bypassing the record to dvr and then transferring to computer from dvr, in jut one step, which makes sense. How fast a hard drive to I need for this, or will a normal 7200 rpm drive work or sata drive or do i need a special scsi or firewire drive?

the software i set up to capture from satellite to computer then is installed on the computer right? does that software come with the r 5000 or which software might that be? or is that what wombie is, to capture from satellite to computer?


i don't have a prob with ulead movie factory 5 as it would be an upgrade to me..


ok, I thnk I get most of the picture from your reply and going back thru your initial post....the only lingering question is what software is used to set up to capture from the satellite to computer....and from what you said firewire is not needed, just usb 2, right?

Researching a little more a little while ago...i have a 3.2 ghz prescott on an asus p4c800 motherboard with 2 gigs of ram..is that enough and so i need fast firewire hardrives so i don't lose any frames? or will regular hard drives handle the capture fine?(i as reading this at videoguys.com)

were i to break up and put on dvds for storage any recommended program to do that with?

that's about it for now..and I do thank you...t

The R5000 software is what you use to capture the video files to the computer. You send them your DirecTV receiver and they modify it to capture the satellite broadcasts. Sorry about the Nextcom reference. Here's the link:

Nextcom R5000 compatible DirecTV receivers.

Any regular 7200rpm IDE drive (or SATA) will work just fine for capture. Such drives have more than enough speed. No SCSI drive is needed. Also, you can stop worrying about FireWire. You would probably need to think about that only if you are working with HDV camcorders - that is, if you are shooting your own HD video. The R5000 uses USB2.

Your computer has more than enough power to do all this. If you've been looking at VideoGuys, your may be getting info on video editing computers. They are serious overkill for this process.

Although it can't be used to edit out commercials without creating problems, HDTVtoMPEG2 can split a transport stream video file into pieces for storage on regular DVD's. It's free, too. Google it.

Joe Clark

Joseph Clark is offline  
post #553 of 3176 Old 10-19-2006, 01:33 PM
Senior Member
 
dv13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 229
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
NEW problem..sorry to trouble you but got and email from nextcom and they are not supporting the new directv h10 and h20's now...so any other recommendations to replace the r 5000? thanks..t
dv13 is offline  
post #554 of 3176 Old 10-19-2006, 02:07 PM
Senior Member
 
dv13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 229
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Joseph, i found their website ....but he said the 5000 will not support the new h10 and 20 from directtv, due to the mpeg4....so where does that leave me? are there any more of these devices, other brands that will work just as well, can you tell me the next best one if there is one, and if there aren't then am i stuck with the dvr way? and if stuck with the dvr way, is there an authoring thread about how to do it that way?

are there any devices that will support the h10 and 20 mpeg4 stuff?


am I resigned to going with a dvr and then transferring from computer with that? if so is there any loss in that method?

And to Joseph or anyone is there a thread or directions for authoring an hd disk using the dvr method if I am stuck with that route?

Joseph,...will one of the capture cards you mentioned work on the directtv h10 or 20 and capture mpeg2 and 4?

thanks..t
dv13 is offline  
post #555 of 3176 Old 10-19-2006, 03:24 PM
Senior Member
 
texmex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Virginia
Posts: 260
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dv13 View Post

Joseph, i found their website ....but he said the 5000 will not support the new h10 and 20 from directtv, due to the mpeg4....so where does that leave me? are there any more of these devices, other brands that will work just as well, can you tell me the next best one if there is one, and if there aren't then am i stuck with the dvr way? and if stuck with the dvr way, is there an authoring thread about how to do it that way?

are there any devices that will support the h10 and 20 mpeg4 stuff?


am I resigned to going with a dvr and then transferring from computer with that? if so is there any loss in that method?

And to Joseph or anyone is there a thread or directions for authoring an hd disk using the dvr method if I am stuck with that route?

Joseph,...will one of the capture cards you mentioned work on the directtv h10 or 20 and capture mpeg2 and 4?

thanks..t

At this point it looks like your only option with DirecTV is MPEG2 material via either R5000 or a hacked HR10-250 (if you can still find one). There is no other way to get HD video streams from DirecTV to your computer. Maybe the R5000 guys will come up with a solution for the H10 in the future. Capture cards are not an option.
texmex is offline  
post #556 of 3176 Old 10-19-2006, 03:31 PM
Senior Member
 
texmex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Virginia
Posts: 260
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
R5000 support for the H10 seems likely at some point. From their FAQ:

Will you be supporting additional STBs or Cable boxes?
Support has been added to cover Motorola set top boxes for StarChoice, 4DTV and Cable. We are looking into the possibility of capturing MPEG4 broadcasts from new DirecTV receivers. Check the R5000-HD product page for any changes or additions in this area.


Keep in mind that we have no idea if MPEG4 streams from DirecTV and DISH will be HD-DVD compatible. And even if they are, there currently isn't a consumer level tool available to author MPEG4 streams to HD-DVD.
texmex is offline  
post #557 of 3176 Old 10-19-2006, 04:17 PM
Senior Member
 
dv13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 229
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by texmex View Post

Capture cards are not an option.

what about these listed in Joseph's first post? OTA computer capture cards such as MyHD or Fusion


are there any firewire devices that would work?

ALso as noted in tex's post, about mpeg 4, in the hughes receiver for directv would the mpeg 2 qualiity be just as good as the mpeg 2 in the new h10 and h20?


And Joseph, when you transfer your HD to your computer....it takes a lot of space doesn't it?...huge files?..thanks..t
dv13 is offline  
post #558 of 3176 Old 10-19-2006, 05:39 PM
Senior Member
 
texmex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Virginia
Posts: 260
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dv13 View Post

what about these listed in Joseph's first post? OTA computer capture cards such as MyHD or Fusion


are there any firewire devices that would work?

ALso as noted in tex's post, about mpeg 4, in the hughes receiver for directv would the mpeg 2 qualiity be just as good as the mpeg 2 in the new h10 and h20?


And Joseph, when you transfer your HD to your computer....it takes a lot of space doesn't it?...huge files?..thanks..t

Capture cards are for OTA HD (and sometimes "in the free" QAM channels from your cable company). There is no capture card for DirecTV. There are no firewire devices for DirecTV. The mpeg2 quality is exactly the same in every directv receiver - the receiver is simply passing along the digital stream (mpeg2) from the dish. There is no (re)encoding going on in a DirecTV receiver. DirecTV mpeg2 HD files vary in size, but you can count on an average in the neighborhood of 4-5GB per hour. No worries, big drives are getting cheap; Frys.com had a 400GB Seagate for $99 this week.
texmex is offline  
post #559 of 3176 Old 10-19-2006, 05:44 PM
Senior Member
 
dv13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 229
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by texmex View Post

Capture cards are for OTA HD (and sometimes "in the free" QAM channels from your cable company). There is no capture card for DirecTV. There are no firewire devices for DirecTV. The mpeg2 quality is exactly the same in every directv receiver - the receiver is simply passing along the digital stream (mpeg2) from the dish. There is no (re)encoding going on in a DirecTV receiver. DirecTV mpeg2 HD files vary in size, but you can count on an average in the neighborhood of 4-5GB per hour. No worries, big drives are getting cheap; Frys.com had a 400GB Seagate for $99 this week.

wow that is cheap...

sso i can get the modified hughes from David and the 50000 and be ok for now and upgraade if ever to the mpeg 4..t
dv13 is offline  
post #560 of 3176 Old 10-20-2006, 08:16 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
cal87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Tracy, CA
Posts: 1,280
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I have been having some problems with DL media lately. I use ImgBurn or Nero 7 for burning. I have always left them at default settings. Before recently, had no problems.

I have read suggestions as to setting the book type to DVD-ROM. I can't see where to do this for either program. Can someone point me in the right direction?
cal87 is offline  
post #561 of 3176 Old 10-20-2006, 09:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
Joseph Clark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 10,358
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by cal87 View Post

I have been having some problems with DL media lately. I use ImgBurn or Nero 7 for burning. I have always left them at default settings. Before recently, had no problems.

I have read suggestions as to setting the book type to DVD-ROM. I can't see where to do this for either program. Can someone point me in the right direction?

That's a function of the DVD burner you have. Some burners can be set and some cannot. If they can be set, you'll find the option when you hit the button to select the DVD burner to use for a session in Nero (don't know about IMGBurn). Click the "Options" button in the lower left of the dialog window. If your burner supports setting the Book Type, that option will appear as a drop down. If not, you may be out of luck. Some Pioneer burners are supposed to set the book type automatically to DVD-ROM (in firmware), but even so my Pioneer burners don't produce usable discs for this process. My Plextor 750's do, as does my Mad Dog (NEC).

Joe Clark

Joseph Clark is offline  
post #562 of 3176 Old 10-20-2006, 11:04 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
cal87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Tracy, CA
Posts: 1,280
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Clark View Post

That's a function of the DVD burner you have. Some burners can be set and some cannot. If they can be set, you'll find the option when you hit the button to select the DVD burner to use for a session in Nero (don't know about IMGBurn). Click the "Options" button in the lower left of the dialog window. If your burner supports setting the Book Type, that option will appear as a drop down. If not, you may be out of luck. Some Pioneer burners are supposed to set the book type automatically to DVD-ROM (in firmware), but even so my Pioneer burners don't produce usable discs for this process. My Plextor 750's do, as does my Mad Dog (NEC).

I have a NEC ND-3530A. Don't see that option. There is an option to write extended lead-out on double-layer discs. Would this help?
cal87 is offline  
post #563 of 3176 Old 10-21-2006, 09:13 AM
Member
 
Taxidermista's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 36
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cal87 View Post

I have a NEC ND-3530A. Don't see that option. There is an option to write extended lead-out on double-layer discs. Would this help?

Try DVDDecrypter, source contextual menu:

Taxidermista is offline  
post #564 of 3176 Old 10-21-2006, 10:34 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
cal87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Tracy, CA
Posts: 1,280
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxidermista View Post

Try DVDDecrypter, source contextual menu:

Tried that. Doesn't have any options to change for the NEC - Says unknown.
Guess it just isn't an option for this drive.

Anyways, updated the firmware on the drive - supposedly "better performance on DL media" - whatever that means. Will try it out.
cal87 is offline  
post #565 of 3176 Old 10-21-2006, 06:08 PM
Senior Member
 
Eugene157's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Palm Springs area
Posts: 376
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Have played with Pinnacle S10 some more and come to the conclusion that it works well for me with capture from my HC1 camera and produces excellent video quality HD-DVDs with menus, transitions and extremely easy to edit.

But is near useless with imported material like video from HD NET that is not encrypted, producing render failures and audio delays, while these same files give me no problems when using MF5.
And S10 does not allow chapters, unless a menu is used, and very limited even then.

So I will have to use both.

Interestingly, of all the most likely, thousands of S10 forum users only two, Blackbill and myself seem to use the HD-DVD plugin.

Edit: Pinnacle stopped selling the plugin, I was able to buy it because of a mistake on their part.

Gene
Eugene157 is offline  
post #566 of 3176 Old 10-22-2006, 09:09 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Gruson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: DALLAS, TX
Posts: 1,698
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for the info guys!

I just burned my first HD DVD from some footage I shot with my HV10.

VERY cool and great quality.

Bring on the real HD DVD burners!
Gruson is offline  
post #567 of 3176 Old 10-22-2006, 09:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
Joseph Clark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 10,358
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene157 View Post

Have played with Pinnacle S10 some more and come to the conclusion that it works well for me with capture from my HC1 camera and produces excellent video quality HD-DVDs with menus, transitions and extremely easy to edit.

But is near useless with imported material like video from HD NET that is not encrypted, producing render failures and audio delays, while these same files give me no problems when using MF5.
And S10 does not allow chapters, unless a menu is used, and very limited even then.

So I will have to use both.

Interestingly, of all the most likely, thousands of S10 forum users only two, Blackbill and myself seem to use the HD-DVD plugin.

Edit: Pinnacle stopped selling the plugin, I was able to buy it because of a mistake on their part.

Gene

You mean, it's not even available at all anymore? Any idea why they pulled it?

Joe Clark

Joseph Clark is offline  
post #568 of 3176 Old 10-22-2006, 09:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
Joseph Clark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 10,358
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gruson View Post

Thanks for the info guys!

I just burned my first HD DVD from some footage I shot with my HV10.

VERY cool and great quality.

Bring on the real HD DVD burners!

Glad to hear you've had success with the process. How do you like the Canon HV10? I've read good things about it, but I seem to remember it doesn't have an external mic input. That's a deal breaker for me. The Sony HC1 has some fairly serious limitations, but it does have a mic input.

Joe Clark

Joseph Clark is offline  
post #569 of 3176 Old 10-23-2006, 08:37 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Gruson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: DALLAS, TX
Posts: 1,698
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Clark View Post

Glad to hear you've had success with the process. How do you like the Canon HV10? I've read good things about it, but I seem to remember it doesn't have an external mic input. That's a deal breaker for me. The Sony HC1 has some fairly serious limitations, but it does have a mic input.

I really like the HV10. I compared it to the Sony too. I thought the picture with the Canon was better.

I needed a built in light with my camcorder and the HV10 had that so it was the deal breaker for me.

I would never hook up an external mic as most of my use with the HV10 is point and shoot.
Gruson is offline  
post #570 of 3176 Old 10-23-2006, 07:07 PM
Senior Member
 
Eugene157's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Palm Springs area
Posts: 376
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Not sure but 10.7 is a beta and the plugin was to be part of the upgrade , not beta. (That is the guessing on the Pinnacle forum)

Did a 35 min HD-DVD from some video I shot a year ago with a 17Mbitt rate. Titles menu etc, turned out fine w/o problems.
Gene
Eugene157 is offline  
Reply HD DVD Software

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off