first thanks so much for your posts and your time and expertise. I am just jumping into HD so am a newbie and beg your patience in this post. I have some questions and would like to clarify some things from your initial post if you don't mind...I will separate the questions so you can respond to each, if you would...
First I will be using directtv and their dvdr.
1. Does the brand/model of dvdr matter as far as quality of the HD record?
If it matters can you recommend one that will produce the best quality with directv?
2. What does the DVDR record the HD movie or stream to, a file type or what, on the hdd?
3. On your hardware list, you said a device that allows mpeg2 captures to computer. By this did you mean a dvdr that will record the HD and then allow it to be transferred to a computer? Or a dvdr and then another device for transferring?
4. For transfer to computer is usb2 enough? firewire not required?
5. you said i will need to convert directtv 1088i to 1081i...is there any quality loss in this? And is there a way to tell what i it is and if is 720p or not? (my Hd not installed yet...2 wks tho)
6, The three software requirements...are those optional, i.e. pick one of the three....or are the three necessary, each software performing a unique funtion...i.e. womble transfers from dvdr to computer, ulead creates the disk and nero burns? Or is there a good program out there that does it all? I have invested some in Canopus, and wondered if you are familiar with them and if perhaps they have something that would work?
7. Doesn't Ulead also burn cd's and dvd's and would it not burn an HD dvd?
8. As for burning software if Ulead moivie factory won't burn it, is Nero required or are there other programs out there that will burn an HD dvd? I am not too fond of Nero..I use Roxio Creator 9....but if there are other softwares out there for burning HD dvd's I would like to look...
9. I guess my main question is the software you listed are examples of what to use, but there may be other software options out there?
10. And last but not least, thru all of this , transfer, converting and making the Hd folder, is there any losss of quality in the video?
And again, if moviefactory willl burn the folder to dvd, is there a any speciall reason you would not use it but use nero instead?
thanks again so much and I would appreciate responses to each question as I am learning this new technology and getting HD installed in a couple weeks.
Oh and 2 more questions..
with SD, we try to get a recorder to record the best quality dvd we can of a movie, game or whatever...is that a concern with HD? i.e. with sd you have 2 hrs to a disk, 4 hrs, 1 hr and so on. Through the process of capturing all the way thru to burning to the dvd, is the final quality on dvd the same exact as the broadcast or is there a little loss?
Is it possible and would it be recommended if so, to capture straight to a computer via a capture card or something? or what would you need?
Do I need to worry about bitrate and that type of stuff and if so which gives the best quality, ir that part of the process?
Lastly, other than viewing is there any way to know if your finished product is actually an HD movie? a special file type or something?