Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 3176 Old 11-14-2006, 12:27 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Version 2-5-3-500 is now available.

When I saw "Enhance: Ability to change the volume in the saved file." I was hoping this version would fix the "Tools.. Adjust Audio... Output volume" problem that I mentioned a few weeks ago. I have a demo HDDVD with various concert clips. A couple of them are much louder than the rest. But anytime I try to adjust the audio with videoredo, I lose the audio completely when I play that clip on the HDDVD. Has anyone beemn successful with adjusting the volume? I should probably sign up on the videoredo forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by videoredo View Post

VideoReDo Plus Build 2-5-3-500:

Enhance: New Logfile support functions
Enhance: Program fixes for DVR-MS, CRID, and Humax files.
Enhance: Support for creating DVR-MS output files.
Enhance: Support for creating Topfield .REC output files.
Enhance: New zoom feature to magnify the timeline.
Enhance: New "Favorite places" on the Tools>Options pages. Allows you to setup favorite folders in the file open dialog.
Enhance: VideoReDo will work with Vista Betas using the Aero interface when using the VMR9 drivers.
Enhance: Ability to support 4:2:2 video.
Enhance: Ability to change the volume in the saved file.
Enhance: Batch will properly support the full ANSI character set for filenames.
Enhance: Complete support for NTSC 29.97 FPS drop frame time codes. Both in the display and output in the GOP header.

http://www.videoredo.com/ReleaseNotesVrdPlus.htm
Quote:
Originally Posted by videoredo.com View Post

Version 2-5-3-500, Release date: November 10, 2006

Enhance: Logfile: Add ability to clear log file and more easily attach to an email. Log filename is also copied to the clipboard if the "Explore" option is selected.
Enhance: COM: New method FileOpenBatchPIDS( filename, videoPID, audioPID) to enable QSF with custom PIDs.
Change: New faster AC3 decoder library.
Fix: DVR-MS files with restricted content could get into infinite loop. VideoReDo attempts to detect and issue a warning.
Fix: Batch: Ampersand "&" in the filename would cause file name problems in batch.
Fix: DVR-MS: NTSC closed captions caused injection of bad user data into the video stream resulting in pixelation.
Fix: Humax PVR transport streams will not open properly.
Fix: CRID: Double clicking on an entry in the CRID list would cause a crash.
Fix: CRID: attemp0ting to open a CRID file with no available components could cause a crash.
Fix: Batch: In File>Queue To Batch, changing the suggested filename and then changing an output option would cause filename to revert to default.

One other tip that I wanted to mention, which seems logical and obvious... when you run HDPatch for the 720p files make sure you switch your HDDVD player to 720p. I get periodic interlace combing when I tried to play back 720p files at 1080i. But they look fine once I switched the HD-A1 to 720p. I wish there was a "native" mode... if the file is 720p then the player should output 720p, if the file is 1080i then output 1080i. Especially if it could switch the player's resolution between chapters, since some of my mixed demo clips are 720p and some are 1080i.

Fedex tracking shows my XBox360 HD-DVD player is on the delivery truck now, so I get to play with that tonight.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 3176 Old 11-14-2006, 02:15 PM

Liked: 10
Throughout all of this does anyone know if it will work with 24fps 1080 mpgs? I have output 24fps HD PH files and want to import them into MF5 but they convert everytime. Under the customize settings there is no option for anything other than 29.97. Any ideas?

The mpg files are 1920x1080, 23.97 fps and around 15mbps data rate.

Thanks.....
post #723 of 3176 Old 11-14-2006, 03:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Campbell View Post

So I guess what you're saying then is that the final output from MF5 (all files it puts on the hard drive) should be roughly the same size as the .mpg file I'm feeding into it?

Yes, approximately. You know something's gone wrong if the output size is clearly bigger than the original. Another sign is MF5 taking a long time processing the data. On my humble Athlon64 3200+, after clicking on the 'Burn' icon Disc creator progress bar jumps immediately to 99% while the lower bar (muxing) takes about 15 minutes for a full dual layer disc (i.e. approx. 8GB).

Please, feel free to call me by my first name, Petri.
post #724 of 3176 Old 11-14-2006, 06:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_tom View Post

I just burned a fairly short (6.6GB) 1080i movie onto a Verbatim DVD9 and played it back on the XBox360 addon drive. I played the beginning and spot-checked through it, played through the layer change and a region where DVDInfo Pro showed a major dropoff in burn quality. There were a few almost-subliminal a/v glitches early in the program, but it turns out they are in the transport stream as originally captured and as played back on the MDP130/MyHD (and when I burned the beginning 2GB onto a DVD5, it played the same glitches); overall the movie plays just fine, right through the layer change without a noticeable pause, right through the bad-burn region with no glitches. I haven't watched the particular movie yet, and this disc is going on the "keep" pile and I'll definitely watch it through on the 360.

FWIW, the DL disk I used was a Verbatim +R DL, MKM001, burned at 4x on a fairly old Sony burner.

Thanks for the update Tom. It sounds like the problem must lie somewhere on my end. I used basically the same exact setup, even down to the same brand and type of media.

Unfortunately, I returned my 360 add-on earlier today. I mainly bought it for use on an HTPC but there are still some bugs to be worked out for that purpose. I'll likely pick one up again if/when those bugs have been worked out.
post #725 of 3176 Old 11-14-2006, 08:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pteittinen View Post

http://www.cyberlink.com/multi/products/main_3_ENU.html

CyberLink PowerProducer 4
# Capture High-Definition videos and produce Blu-ray Discs
# Create HD DVDs and DVDs for playing on a home player

I wonder if you can author a HD DVD and burn it to a standard dvd with this software? I have some slideshows I'd like to output to HD as well.
post #726 of 3176 Old 11-15-2006, 05:36 AM

Thanks for the replies. Can anyone help me with how to ensure an AC3 audio track goes along with the video when its all recorded to the disc?
post #727 of 3176 Old 11-15-2006, 05:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for the replies. Can anyone help me with how to ensure an AC3 audio track goes along with the video when its all recorded to the disc?

You're certain your file has AC3 in it? Could it have been converted to stereo PCM at some stage? What does VideoReDo say about the stream's audio properties?

post #728 of 3176 Old 11-15-2006, 07:04 AM

Quote:

You're certain your file has AC3 in it? Could it have been converted to stereo PCM at some stage? What does VideoReDo say about the stream's audio properties?

Well, to be clear, I'm not sure that the .mpg file contains it. What I do know is that the original signal was a 5.1 signal, and when I play it back in my Fusion 5 HDTV card's application, it plays back in 5.1, so it must be in the .tp file that was recorded off the air.

How do I check the audio props in VideoRedo? Sorry for my ignorance, your help is greatly appreciated.
post #729 of 3176 Old 11-15-2006, 07:21 AM

I have tried 2 DVD's burned using the method at the beginning of this thread. When I put them in my XBOX 360 HD drive, it read the disk and then the screen goes black. I am pretty sure that it recognizes the format as an HD-DVD but it seems to choke after that. I setup no menus or anything. Just a simple 3 minute HD movie. Any thoughts on what I should look for? Is the burner I used or the media important at this stage?

I am using an older Liteon 4x DVD+ burner and some Maxell DVD+R that arereported as being made by RItek.

Thanks! Hope to join the ranks of those making HD-DVDs on DVD!

Oh, and what is res laser media? Just traditional DVDs or is it something special?

Thanks!

Quote:

I just burned a fairly short (6.6GB) 1080i movie onto a Verbatim DVD9 and played it back on the XBox360 addon drive. I played the beginning and spot-checked through it, played through the layer change and a region where DVDInfo Pro showed a major dropoff in burn quality. There were a few almost-subliminal a/v glitches early in the program, but it turns out they are in the transport stream as originally captured and as played back on the MDP130/MyHD (and when I burned the beginning 2GB onto a DVD5, it played the same glitches); overall the movie plays just fine, right through the layer change without a noticeable pause, right through the bad-burn region with no glitches. I haven't watched the particular movie yet, and this disc is going on the "keep" pile and I'll definitely watch it through on the 360.

FWIW, the DL disk I used was a Verbatim +R DL, MKM001, burned at 4x on a fairly old Sony burner.

post #730 of 3176 Old 11-15-2006, 08:11 AM
AVS Club Gold

Has anyone else noticed that the XBox360 HD-DVD drive ignores Moviefactory's "Auto repeat when disc playback ends".

This works fine on my Toshiba HD-A1, at the end, the disc starts over from the beginning.

But with the same disc, the XBox just freezes at the end. The worst part is that it leave a static image of the last scene.
CRT owners hate static images.
post #731 of 3176 Old 11-15-2006, 08:26 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarence View Post

Has anyone else noticed that the XBox360 HD-DVD drive ignores Moviefactory's "Auto repeat when disc playback ends".

This works fine on my Toshiba HD-A1, at the end, the disc starts over from the beginning.

But with the same disc, the XBox just freezes at the end. The worst part is that it leave a static image of the last scene.

My current workaround is to add 3 seconds of blank black video clip at the beginning and end.

I just used videoredo to select the black screen between the studio logo and any movie's opening title.

But if anyone knows how to get the XBox to auto-repeat like the HD-A1, I'd prefer that.
post #732 of 3176 Old 11-15-2006, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarence View Post

I did notice that, but not having a Toshiba player did not realize that it was a difference.

Another bit of awk with the 360 add-on: when I made a HDDVD with two clips, which are actually contiguous chunks of the same movie, and set it for "play the next clip", added chapters every 5 min but no menu, the 360 player does play right over the seam with just a momentary vid freeze, but after it gets into the second clip there is no way to nav back to the first one, the rewind & prior chapter only go to the start of the second clip, and if I forward to the end and hit Play again it starts the second clip; I have to either eject the disc or go all the to the xbox console display.

Anybody know if the Toshiba has a similar behavior with movies made from more than one clip?
post #733 of 3176 Old 11-15-2006, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icicle22 View Post

I have tried 2 DVD's burned using the method at the beginning of this thread. When I put them in my XBOX 360 HD drive, it read the disk and then the screen goes black. I am pretty sure that it recognizes the format as an HD-DVD but it seems to choke after that. I setup no menus or anything. Just a simple 3 minute HD movie. Any thoughts on what I should look for? Is the burner I used or the media important at this stage?

I am using an older Liteon 4x DVD+ burner and some Maxell DVD+R that arereported as being made by RItek.

Thanks! Hope to join the ranks of those making HD-DVDs on DVD!

Oh, and what is res laser media? Just traditional DVDs or is it something special?

Thanks!

Heh. "res laser media" would be a common typo for "red laser media" , i.e. the good old CD, DVD5, or DVD9 discs that we've had around for years.

Several of my initial attempts behaved exactly as you described. I guessed that in some of those cases MF5 hosed the audio, thus choking the 360s codec - you may want to pay careful attention to the audio format you are inputting and what MF5 is doing with it. {Note the use of technical terms "hosed" and "choked" indicating a deep understanding - not!} Also, I have not gotten 720p material to play at all yet in the 360, only 1080i, it might be best to be sure you are working with a 1080i input file.

I have been testing using an old burner and mostly coaster-grade media, the 360 does not seem to me to be very sensitive to media quality or burn quality. (The Verbatim DL discs are not coaster-grade, but AFAIK & IME all DVD9 media suffers from poor burn quality and low readability compared to DVD5 in general).
post #734 of 3176 Old 11-15-2006, 09:46 AM

Thanks! I meant to type "red laser media"!

I was feeding MF5 an 29.97 1920x1080 mpg file that had mpeg layer 2 audio or something. If I tell MF5 to convert the audio to Dolby Digital will it cause the entire mpg to be re-rendered?

Can anyone point me to a source known-good "mpg-file" that I could download and import into MF5 to verify that it actually works? Then I could focus more on the encoding side and not on the authoring side.

Thanks in advance!

Marty
post #735 of 3176 Old 11-15-2006, 11:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by texmex View Post

In what context Jesse? Are you using HDPatch because your file is 720p or because it's 1088? For 720p you only need to patch the first header. For 1088 I recommend patching the entire stream. If you're patching to fix the bitrate, you only need to patch the first header.

For that video it was 1088 and I patched the whole file. Movie played fine.

I'm trying to do a 720p title now using the preset "pre 720p for mf5" which only patches the first header. MF5 is still trying to re-encode the movie this time though. Any ideas?
post #736 of 3176 Old 11-15-2006, 11:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Upgraded to MF5 plus v5.3 and it's not re-encoding now.
post #737 of 3176 Old 11-15-2006, 12:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse S View Post

Upgraded to MF5 plus v5.3 and it's not re-encoding now.

Could that mean MF5+ v5.3 supports 720p streams?

post #738 of 3176 Old 11-15-2006, 12:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

How do I check the audio props in VideoRedo? Sorry for my ignorance, your help is greatly appreciated.

Load your stream into VRD and press CTRL+L, or select "Show Video Program Info" from Tools menu.

If the file has AC3, it might have the wrong Stream ID and you need to re-map it to a Stream ID Ulead understands as AC3. It should have an ID of x80 - at least that's what VRD tells me when I drop in an MPEG-2 file with DD 5.1 audio.

One thing you could also try is output your stream into a Transport Stream with VRD, and use VRD to force Audio to have a certain PID. Enter Options > Transport Stream Output, uncheck the "Use PIDS From Source File" box, check "Show PIDS as Hex" and use the following values:

Program Map ID: x20
Video PID: x21
Audio Stream 1 PID: x24

Load your file and save it as Transport Stream, then open the resulting file in VRD and check the properties with CTRL+L to see if there's any change.

I'm not saying any of this will help, but it might be worth a shot.

post #739 of 3176 Old 11-15-2006, 12:18 PM

I was able to test a DVD burned using MF5 and Nero 7. It worked but only when I allowed MF5 to recompress it. It looked like total crap though. WTF?

Any ideas on what to do to create compliant mpgs that will actually work on the XBOX360 HD-DVD? Keep in mind I am creating the content myself in Adobe Premiere and I can author the mpg using whatever specs will work.

Thanks!
post #740 of 3176 Old 11-15-2006, 01:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Any ideas on what to do to create compliant mpgs that will actually work on the XBOX360 HD-DVD? Keep in mind I am creating the content myself in Adobe Premiere and I can author the mpg using whatever specs will work.

Try these:
- MPEG-2 at under 30mbit/s
- 1440x1080i/29.97fps or 1920x1080i/29.97fps
- Dolby Digital 2.0/5.1 audio at 384kbit/s

MF5 used to have a problem with DD5.1 audio according to some users (like me), but others have reported DD5.1 working just fine.

post #741 of 3176 Old 11-15-2006, 01:13 PM

The problem here is that Adobe Premiere doesn't include a Dolby Digital Encoder. That is an add-on that is like $500 or something. I have no choice but mpg audio. When I do regular SD DVDs I export wave files and create the DD in Adobe Encore which does include an encoder. But it cannot be used outside of the program itself.

Quote:

Try these:
- MPEG-2 at under 30mbit/s
- 1440x1080i/29.97fps or 1920x1080i/29.97fps
- Dolby Digital 2.0/5.1 audio at 384kbit/s

MF5 used to have a problem with DD5.1 audio for some users (like me), but others have reported DD5.1 working just fine.

post #742 of 3176 Old 11-15-2006, 01:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The problem here is that Adobe Premiere doesn't include a Dolby Digital Encoder. That is an add-on that is like $500 or something. I have no choice but mpg audio. When I do regular SD DVDs I export wave files and create the DD in Adobe Encore which does include an encoder. But it cannot be used outside of the program itself.

Stereo MPEG audio between 64 and 384kbit/s should be fine as well.

post #743 of 3176 Old 11-15-2006, 02:34 PM

Thanks for posting this guide. I have recently been doing some of this stuff with my recorded tv shows since I just bought the Xbox 360 HD-DVD player.

I have found something strange. In the previous posts and guides, you seem to indicate that changes need to be made to 720p recordings in order for all of this to work. I have made no changes to my 720p recordings and I get Dolby Digital audio.

I tested this with an episode of ABC's Lost which is broadcast in 720p. After creating the HD-DVD, I verified playback on the Xbox 360. I couldn't figure out a way in the Xbox 360 menu to tell me what resolution the video source was so I put it back on my PC. I took one of the generated EVO files and dumped it in Video Redo. It reported this:

So, it looks like MF didn't touch the stream at all and simply converted it into HD-DVD format. Does that sound right?

I also tried dumping the EVO file back into MF (after renaming it to MPG) and MF also reports the file as 1280x720 (although, it shows no audio stream).

When I do the conversion, it does seem to do it very quickly (within 10 minutes) which seems to indicate that no transcoding/resizing is taking place.

I'm going to check other ABC 720p shows to see if I get the same results.
post #744 of 3176 Old 11-15-2006, 02:49 PM

FWIW, I have gotten a 43 minute, 3700MB 720p/DD 5.1 program burned on a DVD5 per guide, using VRD, HDpatch, MF5, and Nero 6, to play in the Xbox 360 addon - it looks and sounds great.

I spent a long time looking at my earlier failures with 720p stuff and found at least once was due to a bad burn (uncorrectable errors, not just poor quality) and at least once was due to not following the guide properly when using HDpatch. On the bad burn, the XBox stays on the logo or console display, whereas it gives a blank screen when the content is not to its liking.

MF5 seemed to take a long time to remux this program though - twice as long on a per-GB basis as 1080i with DD5.1; has anybody else seen that and/or have any idea why that would be?
post #745 of 3176 Old 11-15-2006, 03:04 PM
AVS Special Member

leonowski, what version of MF5 are you using? There's a new v5.3 out and it *might* support 720p natively.

post #746 of 3176 Old 11-15-2006, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leonowski View Post

Thanks for posting this guide. I have recently been doing some of this stuff with my recorded tv shows since I just bought the Xbox 360 HD-DVD player.

I have found something strange. In the previous posts and guides, you seem to indicate that changes need to be made to 720p recordings in order for all of this to work. I have made no changes to my 720p recordings and I get Dolby Digital audio.

I tested this with an episode of ABC's Lost which is broadcast in 720p. After creating the HD-DVD, I verified playback on the Xbox 360. I couldn't figure out a way in the Xbox 360 menu to tell me what resolution the video source was so I put it back on my PC. I took one of the generated EVO files and dumped it in Video Redo. It reported this:

So, it looks like MF didn't touch the stream at all and simply converted it into HD-DVD format. Does that sound right?

I also tried dumping the EVO file back into MF (after renaming it to MPG) and MF also reports the file as 1280x720 (although, it shows no audio stream).

When I do the conversion, it does seem to do it very quickly (within 10 minutes) which seems to indicate that no transcoding/resizing is taking place.

I'm going to check other ABC 720p shows to see if I get the same results.

Well, I'll be dipped! I tried my 720p program again, without using HDPatch (and confirming that the header on my input file was indeed 1280x720p @ 59.94), took it through MF, and it does work for me too. MF5 does not try to "convert" the file, and also did not have the "slow mux" problem I just reported from the trial where I did use HDPatch - so it went much faster. VRD Properties display for my first EVO file looks exactly like yours, except I have a bit rate of 20.000 Mbps, which I have to modify in my files (I use the VideoReDo output options) to keep MF5 from "converting" (and I just re-verified that this is true with this 720p program - if I leave the header at 38.8Mbps then MF5 insists on converting the video). And after burning in Nero the disc plays flawlessly in the Xbox 360 addon drive.

Are you getting your captures OTA from an antenna... or what? (Mine are mostly from a Moto 6200.)

Aside: So, Joseph - it looks like we have a major divergence here... as leonowski discovered and I confirmed, we are not needing to use HDPatch on 720 programs to get them through MF5 without it "converting" the video, and I paid a big elapsed time penalty when I did use HDpatch.

FWIW, I have MF5 trial and it reluctantly admits to being version 5.3.0.0 (can't find any about box - the executable file's version number says 5.0.0.0 - but its ProductVersion attribute is 5.3.0.0).
post #747 of 3176 Old 11-15-2006, 04:09 PM

Quote:

leonowski, what version of MF5 are you using? There's a new v5.3 out and it *might* support 720p natively.

I have version 5.3. The version number is reported by clicking the small icon in the lower left hand corner of the application > about Ulead MF.
post #748 of 3176 Old 11-15-2006, 04:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 182
Quote:

Well, I'll be dipped! I tried my 720p program again, without using HDPatch (and confirming that the header on my input file was indeed 1280x720p @ 59.94), took it through MF, and it does work for me too. MF5 does not try to "convert" the file, and also did not have the "slow mux" problem I just reported from the trial where I did use HDPatch - so it went much faster. VRD Properties display for my first EVO file looks exactly like yours, except I have a bit rate of 20.000 Mbps, which I have to modify in my files (I use the VideoReDo output options) to keep MF5 from "converting" (and I just re-verified that this is true with this 720p program - if I leave the header at 38.8Mbps then MF5 insists on converting the video). And after burning in Nero the disc plays flawlessly in the Xbox 360 addon drive.

Are you getting your captures OTA from an antenna... or what? (Mine are mostly from a Moto 6200.)

Aside: So, Joseph - it looks like we have a major divergence here... as leonowski discovered and I confirmed, we are not needing to use HDPatch on 720 programs to get them through MF5 without it "converting" the video, and I paid a big elapsed time penalty when I did use HDpatch.

FWIW, I have MF5 trial and it reluctantly admits to being version 5.3.0.0 (can't find any about box - the executable file's version number says 5.0.0.0 - but its ProductVersion attribute is 5.3.0.0).

I don't have time now, but I'm going to download 5.3.0.0 and see if it does the same for me. I snidely made a comment after techtom created HDPatch that Ulead would come out with a NEW version some time in 2007 adding 720p support, cost for upgrade $29. Looks like they may have just thrown it in for nothing. Kudos.

I never had any penalty in time for 720p shows with HDPatch, though.

Joe Clark

post #749 of 3176 Old 11-15-2006, 04:12 PM

Quote:

Yes - OTA recordings from a FusionHDTV card.
post #750 of 3176 Old 11-15-2006, 04:20 PM

Also - I wanted to mention:

I have had no problems using Nero 6 and dual layer DVDs. I'm using some cheapo Playo DVD+R DL discs that burn at 2.4x. I do change the booktype so that these are recognized as DVD-ROMs as opposed to DVD+R DL discs. It may help with compatibility.

I have also burned a small HD test pattern that was less than 650MB on a CD and that worked on my Xbox 360 as well.
Reply HD DVD Software

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page