The official AVS Guide to HD DVD Authoring. - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #61 of 3176 Old 08-04-2006, 03:46 PM
AVS Special Member
 
DigitalfreakNYC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: NYC
Posts: 5,833
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Is there an explicit guide to capturing TS streams through firewire?

"I have never seen it, but by all accounts it is terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built, and it is terrific." - Michael Caine, on Jaws the Revenge
DigitalfreakNYC is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #62 of 3176 Old 08-05-2006, 02:02 AM
Advanced Member
 
KoolKiwi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 721
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Joseph: Some further feedback on this process.

I had a few HD DVD homebrew discs that were appearing to freeze on HD-A1 playback. However, what was actually happening was that the mpeg file had timestamp gaps, and the HD-A1 faithfully (and correctly) follows the timestamp information and basically freezes the screen image, and pauses, for the duration of the timestamp gap.

ie. When the HD-A1 "freezes" on playback, if you wait long enough it will continue, or, if you press fast-forward momentarily then play, you will note the elapsed time display jumps forward (the duraction of the timestamp gap) when play continues.

Mpeg2Repair does a good job of identifying the timestamp gaps in it's log, but does not repair them! From the best I can tell, these timestamp gaps appear to most commonly be created when the wrong tools are used to cut out adverts!

To repair them I pass the .TS stream through the VideoRedo "Quickstream fix" tool, and output as a new .TS file. This seems to be the best tool around for fixing timestamp gap issues

With the resulting .TS, the timestamp gaps are now fixed (which can be verified by running Mpeg2Repair log option only, again).

I then run the .TS through Mpeg2VCR as per normal to create the MF5 compliant .MPG file.

Note that when I tried to use VideoRedo to fix the timestamp gaps and convert directly to .MPG, I ended up with the problem of MF5 taking ages to load the .MPG file! Using Mpeg2VCR appears to avoid this problem (at least with the files I have tested).

In summary...

As the HD-A1 correctly interprets the timestamps, any timestamp gaps will result in an apparent freeze (actually a pause) in playback.

To avoid this, run the original .TS through Mpeg2Repair (log only) to check for any timestamp gaps.

If any timestamp gaps are found, the .TS should be processed through VideoRedo's "Quickstream fix" (with output to a new .TS), before using the normal Mpeg2VCR process to convert the resulting .TS to .MPG for MF5.

Hope the above info is of assistance to someone.

Greg
KoolKiwi is offline  
post #63 of 3176 Old 08-05-2006, 05:50 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Joe Q's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Annapolis,MD
Posts: 3,032
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by pteittinen View Post

Of course it's the source, if you're using some WMV files. Ulead considers only 1920x1080i and 1440x1080i MPEG-2 video as compliant. Everything else it re-encodes with its internal MPEG-2 encoder according to specs set in the Project Settings window.


I own the "Plasma Window" DVD ROM which says "Plasmaquarian HDTV 60Min" on the label.

Of course it plays on a PC but I want to be able to have it play on my new Toshiba.

I pulled the .WMV files off of the DVD and put on my hard disk.

The properties of the WMV file show them to be 1280 x 720
See enclosed file for full file description.

I am trying to burn a DVD using the above procedure BUT I skipped the conversion part and let Ulead do the encoding from WMV to MPEG.
It took a while to convert as warned.

I could not make a DVD with Nero 6 because it said it failed the compatability test as it was missing some .ts files in the Video_ts directory.

What am I doing wrong?

Another question:

The disc also has all the .wmv clips in one big 2 Gbyte file.
Why is it that Ulead,in HD DVD mode, shows that as a 10 Gig file when I load it into the program?

Thanks
LL
Joe Q is offline  
post #64 of 3176 Old 08-05-2006, 07:19 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
cal87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Tracy, CA
Posts: 1,281
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Joe Q

Ulead is converting the wmv file into a 1080i MPEG2 file, resulting in the larger file size.
I have found the Ulead encoding poor. I have had good results using ProCoder to encode these files into 720p MPEG2 and use the methods described here to author with Ulead. This process takes quite a long time. There are other encoding tools which will vary with speed and quality.
cal87 is offline  
post #65 of 3176 Old 08-05-2006, 08:56 AM
Senior Member
 
RAFABAMAD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Here
Posts: 356
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoolKiwi View Post

Joseph: Some further feedback on this process.

I had a few HD DVD homebrew discs that were appearing to freeze on HD-A1 playback. However, what was actually happening was that the mpeg file had timestamp gaps, and the HD-A1 faithfully (and correctly) follows the timestamp information and basically freezes the screen image, and pauses, for the duration of the timestamp gap.

ie. When the HD-A1 "freezes" on playback, if you wait long enough it will continue, or, if you press fast-forward momentarily then play, you will note the elapsed time display jumps forward (the duraction of the timestamp gap) when play continues.

Greg

All of my .ts files were edited with HDTV2MPG2 and exhibited the exact same behavior. What I do is edit the files in Mpeg2VCR by moving backwards from the end of the file using the up arrow key. When it reaches the problem spots it will stop and refuses to backup using the up arrow key. Mark this point as an end edit. Press the back arrow key once and it will jump to the beginning of the time gap. Mark this as the beginning edit and then cut. Mpeg2VCR automatically corrects the timestamp.

Hope this helps others.

Robert
RAFABAMAD is offline  
post #66 of 3176 Old 08-05-2006, 03:13 PM
Advanced Member
 
KoolKiwi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 721
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAFABAMAD View Post

... What I do is edit the files in Mpeg2VCR by moving backwards from the end of the file using the up arrow key. When it reaches the problem spots it will stop and refuses to backup using the up arrow key. Mark this point as an end edit. Press the back arrow key once and it will jump to the beginning of the time gap. Mark this as the beginning edit and then cut. Mpeg2VCR automatically corrects the timestamp.

Thanks Robert. However, I'm not having much luck with this method. When I use the up arrow, and it comes to a stop, Mpeg2VCR stops responding.
ie. I just get an egg timer over the end edit button, and the hard drive is hammering! After waiting for awhile I end up having to end the application (not responding).

I am using the June 2006 update for Mpeg2VCR. It may just be a problem with the particular clip I am trying to remove the timestamp gaps from I imagine, but otherwise it is looking like I will need to register VideoRedo as well, just so I can use the Quickstream fix tool for timestamp gap fixes.

I suppose for longer clips, using the Quickstream fix approach will still be a lot easier than stepping all the way through with the up arrow etc, but at the cost of $50 for registering it.

Greg
KoolKiwi is offline  
post #67 of 3176 Old 08-05-2006, 05:17 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
cal87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Tracy, CA
Posts: 1,281
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Does anyone know if it is possible to get a hold of the WinDVD HD software, or is it only available bundled with the Toshiba laptop?
cal87 is offline  
post #68 of 3176 Old 08-05-2006, 08:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
Joseph Clark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 10,388
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoolKiwi View Post

Thanks Robert. However, I'm not having much luck with this method. When I use the up arrow, and it comes to a stop, Mpeg2VCR stops responding.
ie. I just get an egg timer over the end edit button, and the hard drive is hammering! After waiting for awhile I end up having to end the application (not responding).

I am using the June 2006 update for Mpeg2VCR. It may just be a problem with the particular clip I am trying to remove the timestamp gaps from I imagine, but otherwise it is looking like I will need to register VideoRedo as well, just so I can use the Quickstream fix tool for timestamp gap fixes.

I suppose for longer clips, using the Quickstream fix approach will still be a lot easier than stepping all the way through with the up arrow etc, but at the cost of $50 for registering it.

Greg

I do the same thing basically with MPEG2VCR, except that I move the play head back and forth. The up arrow moves you in 5 second increments - kinda slow. The play head method is faster, and the giveaway for a timestamp error is that the play head stops moving - just sort of stutters as your finger continues to move. I stop, use the left and right arrows to determine an in or out point and edit around that in MPEG2VCR That's how I salvaged all my episodes of Battlestar Galactica edited in HDTVtoMPEG2. Those files wouldn't process for me in MF5. After I edited out the offending edit points, they worked just fine. I always left a little commercial in the show, rather than trimming into fade ins and outs, so I just cut out those little snippets of commercial with MPEG2VCR and I didn't do any jump cuts into scenes.

Thanks for the input, guys. I'll be updating the guide tomorrow with this new info. I'm thinking of putting it in the form of FAQ. Any other input is much appreciated. I'll also be adding the section on VideoStudio 10+ workflow.

Joe Clark

Joseph Clark is offline  
post #69 of 3176 Old 08-05-2006, 08:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
Joseph Clark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 10,388
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by cal87 View Post

Does anyone know if it is possible to get a hold of the WinDVD HD software, or is it only available bundled with the Toshiba laptop?

I read somewhere that the WinDVD software that supports HD DVD wouldn't be generally available until November. Probably best, since I also read it was buggy in the Toshiba laptop. Think I got that from the WinDVD website.

Joe Clark

Joseph Clark is offline  
post #70 of 3176 Old 08-05-2006, 08:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
Joseph Clark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 10,388
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoolKiwi View Post

Thanks Robert. However, I'm not having much luck with this method. When I use the up arrow, and it comes to a stop, Mpeg2VCR stops responding.
ie. I just get an egg timer over the end edit button, and the hard drive is hammering! After waiting for awhile I end up having to end the application (not responding).

I am using the June 2006 update for Mpeg2VCR. It may just be a problem with the particular clip I am trying to remove the timestamp gaps from I imagine, but otherwise it is looking like I will need to register VideoRedo as well, just so I can use the Quickstream fix tool for timestamp gap fixes.

I suppose for longer clips, using the Quickstream fix approach will still be a lot easier than stepping all the way through with the up arrow etc, but at the cost of $50 for registering it.

Greg

I've had some files with errors so serious nothing but doing a complete edit around the offending spots would salvage any of the file. If that spot wasn't removed, I couldn't use it. Try some other files and see if they work any better.

Joe Clark

Joseph Clark is offline  
post #71 of 3176 Old 08-05-2006, 11:13 PM
Advanced Member
 
KoolKiwi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 721
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Clark View Post

I do the same thing basically with MPEG2VCR, except that I move the play head back and forth. The up arrow moves you in 5 second increments - kinda slow. The play head method is faster, and the giveaway for a timestamp error is that the play head stops moving - just sort of stutters as your finger continues to move. I stop, use the left and right arrows to determine an in or out point and edit around that in MPEG2VCR That's how I salvaged all my episodes of Battlestar Galactica edited in HDTVtoMPEG2. Those files wouldn't process for me in MF5...

Hi Joseph. A bit of a coincidence, the files I am playing with are also Battlestar Galactica. Specifically S2 E10 & E15.

Both of these I had mastered to HD DVD without any problems using Mpeg2VCR to convert the entire .TS to .MPG for MF5. But when I viewed them, that was when I noted several video freezes / pauses during playback (all other eps were OK).

I have now re-converted both eps, by:

1. Confirming via Mpeg2Repair (log only) that there were indeed long timestamp gaps in original .TS files for these eps.

2. Running the original .TS through VideoRedo "Quickstream fix" with .TS output.

3. Re-confirming via Mpeg2Repair (log only) that there were now no timestamp gaps in the new .TS files.

4. Converting the .TS to .MPG for MF5, via Mpeg2VCR.

5. Confirmed that both new HD DVD discs now play flawlessly, with no freeze / pauses, and no lipsync issues etc.

Notes:

a. For both eps, if I converted to .MPG via VideoRedo, the resulting .MPG files would freeze MF5 when trying to open the files (when converted via Mpeg2VCR, they imported into MF5 immediately). Note: I had never personally experienced this problem before, as I normally use Mpeg2VCR for the .MPG conversion.

b. With both eps, if I tried to step back through Mpeg2VCR timeline to try and manually edit out the timestamp gaps, Mpeg2VCR would stop responding at the point where I wanted to mark an end edit point (based on your and Roberts comments, I assume this is not however a problem with all "timestamp gap" source files).

c. Although unrelated, it is worth mentioning that before importing the resulting .MPG into MF5, I also passed these eps through DVDPatcher to convert the frames from 1280x1088 to 1280x1080. MF5 therefore did no re-encoding!

Summary:

Although I understand that you might certainly be able to manually identify and edit out each timestamp gap using Mpeg2VCR (with some .TS streams), this did not work for me on these particular .TS files. I would also comment that using the "Quickstream fix" tool, is a very straightforward and seemingly effective solution for this timestamp gap issue (although it involves another $50 piece of shareware - but I don't mind paying for useful software).

I am now making a practice of passing all .TS streams (that I intend to convert to HD DVD), through the logging only option of Mpeg2Repair (ie. no repair). This is also useful for confirming average bitrate, and the overall condition of the .TS file.

If Mpeg2Repair identifies any timestamp gaps, I then pass the .TS file through the "Quickstream fix" tool (to a .TS output file), before using Mpeg2VCR for .TS to .MPG conversion (and any other editing I wish to do).

Greg
KoolKiwi is offline  
post #72 of 3176 Old 08-05-2006, 11:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
Joseph Clark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 10,388
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoolKiwi View Post

Hi Joseph. A bit of a coincidence, the files I am playing with are also Battlestar Galactica. Specifically S2 E10 & E15.

Both of these I had mastered to HD DVD without any problems using Mpeg2VCR to convert the entire .TS to .MPG for MF5. But when I viewed them, that was when I noted several video freezes / pauses during playback (all other eps were OK).

I have now re-converted both eps, by:

1. Confirming via Mpeg2Repair (log only) that there were indeed long timestamp gaps in original .TS files for these eps.

2. Running the original .TS through VideoRedo "Quickstream fix" with .TS output.

3. Re-confirming via Mpeg2Repair (log only) that there were now no timestamp gaps in the new .TS files.

4. Converting the .TS to .MPG for MF5, via Mpeg2VCR.

5. Confirmed that both new HD DVD discs now play flawlessly, with no freeze / pauses, and no lipsync issues etc.

Notes:

a. For both eps, if I converted to .MPG via VideoRedo, the resulting .MPG files would freeze MF5 when trying to open the files (when converted via Mpeg2VCR, they imported into MF5 immediately). Note: I had never personally experienced this problem before, as I normally use Mpeg2VCR for the .MPG conversion.

b. With both eps, if I tried to step back through Mpeg2VCR timeline to try and manually edit out the timestamp gaps, Mpeg2VCR would stop responding at the point where I wanted to mark an end edit point (based on your and Roberts comments, I assume this is not however a problem with all "timestamp gap" source files).

c. Although unrelated, it is worth mentioning that before importing the resulting .MPG into MF5, I also passed these eps through DVDPatcher to convert the frames from 1280x1088 to 1280x1080. MF5 therefore did no re-encoding!

Summary:

Although I understand that you might certainly be able to manually identify and edit out each timestamp gap using Mpeg2VCR (with some .TS streams), this did not work for me on these particular .TS files. I would also comment that using the "Quickstream fix" tool, is a very straightforward and seemingly effective solution for this timestamp gap issue (although it involves another $50 piece of shareware - but I don't mind paying for useful software).

I am now making a practice of passing all .TS streams (that I intend to convert to HD DVD), through the logging only option of Mpeg2Repair (ie. no repair). This is also useful for confirming average bitrate, and the overall condition of the .TS file.

If Mpeg2Repair identifies any timestamp gaps, I then pass the .TS file through the "Quickstream fix" tool (to a .TS output file), before using Mpeg2VCR for .TS to .MPG conversion (and any other editing I wish to do).

Greg

Lots of good information here. Thanks. I've had some really tough files that didn't want to cooperate with the MF5 process. I think your suggestons might solve some of those problems.

Joe Clark

Joseph Clark is offline  
post #73 of 3176 Old 08-06-2006, 08:51 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Joe Q's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Annapolis,MD
Posts: 3,032
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cal87 View Post

Joe Q

Ulead is converting the wmv file into a 1080i MPEG2 file, resulting in the larger file size.
I have found the Ulead encoding poor. I have had good results using ProCoder to encode these files into 720p MPEG2 and use the methods described here to author with Ulead. This process takes quite a long time. There are other encoding tools which will vary with speed and quality.

Thank you for that info.

Can you recommend another encoder that has an eval version rather than Procoder?

Procoder 2 costs around $600 and Procoder Express does NOT have an eval download to try (it costs $60)

I have so many programs that I have bought over the years that are merely sitting on my computer uninstalled because I found they were not very usefull.

Thanks
Joe Q is offline  
post #74 of 3176 Old 08-06-2006, 02:11 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
cal87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Tracy, CA
Posts: 1,281
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Q View Post

Thank you for that info.

Can you recommend another encoder that has an eval version rather than Procoder?

Procoder 2 costs around $600 and Procoder Express does NOT have an eval download to try (it costs $60)

I have so many programs that I have bought over the years that are merely sitting on my computer uninstalled because I found they were not very usefull.

Thanks

You could try TMPGEnc Xpress. It has a trial version, I believe, and supposedly the new versions handle HD. I have not tried it myself.
cal87 is offline  
post #75 of 3176 Old 08-06-2006, 10:06 PM
Member
 
christefan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 66
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
the transport streams from StarzHD on E* are 1440x1088 in h264---does anyone out there have any solutions for trying to edit and transfer these streams to hd-dvd like we have been doing for regular MPEG2 streams? thanks in advance for any suggestions or help-steve
christefan is offline  
post #76 of 3176 Old 08-06-2006, 11:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
Joseph Clark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 10,388
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by christefan View Post

the transport streams from StarzHD on E* are 1440x1088 in h264---does anyone out there have any solutions for trying to edit and transfer these streams to hd-dvd like we have been doing for regular MPEG2 streams? thanks in advance for any suggestions or help-steve

Sorry, Steve, but no help on that one yet. Lots of us are interested, but there are no answers here and now.

Joe Clark

Joseph Clark is offline  
post #77 of 3176 Old 08-07-2006, 06:48 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Brajesh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Metro Atlanta
Posts: 5,749
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Greg, you just resolved one of my issues. I had some TS files, when opened in MPEG-VCR, would take a long time to load and load as many segments. I could use the clipboard viewer to open it as one file, but processing it would crash MPEG-VCR. Doing the "Quickstream fix" to the TS file in VideoRedo resolved this. Thanks.

HD Media Keen Videosaurus
Brajesh is offline  
post #78 of 3176 Old 08-07-2006, 06:50 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Brajesh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Metro Atlanta
Posts: 5,749
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 47
By the way, I just signed up with E*. Is there a list somewhere of which hi-def channels are mpeg2 vs. mpeg4? Also, I'd read that some mpeg4 were really mpeg2 w/mpeg4 headers only. For these, is there a way to correct the headers to mpeg2?

HD Media Keen Videosaurus
Brajesh is offline  
post #79 of 3176 Old 08-07-2006, 08:47 AM
Member
 
christefan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 66
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brajesh View Post

By the way, I just signed up with E*. Is there a list somewhere of which hi-def channels are mpeg2 vs. mpeg4? Also, I'd read that some mpeg4 were really mpeg2 w/mpeg4 headers only. For these, is there a way to correct the headers to mpeg2?

The only channels you should find in MPEG4 would be StarzHD and your local HD from satellite position 129 (i'm forgetting to include NGHD and MFLHD but i figured you were interested in movie channels), i was hoping that pulling StarzHD off of 61.5 might get around the MPEG4 issue but it doesn't they only seem to be uplinking that channel in MPEG4, the older receivers won't see that channel either just the new series that will do either codec-steve
christefan is offline  
post #80 of 3176 Old 08-08-2006, 12:13 AM
Member
 
christefan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 66
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm throwing this out as a general performance question and any help would be appreciated. I have a r5000 system with dish receivers and then edit the streams with videoredo. performance in visual studio 10 to generate the hd-dvd files is fine if i'm cutting a segment less then 4.7gb---the files open sort of quickly in vs10, will auto chapter and then save pretty fast. But if i try the same thing with files between 7-8.3gb the load times are huge,they usually won't auto chapter and it's just not really workable to spend that much time with the app (vs10) plodding along.
I've tried mpeg2vcr to convert ts to mpeg (instead of doing it with videoredo) to see if compatability to vs10 is better that way and while it does seem to improve the load times for getting a file up in vs10 if i generate a hd-dvd file and then burn it the audio match is so bad it's not usable or watchable and i don't have these kind of audio problems with smaller files done directly with videoredo for editing and conversion and then vs10 to generate the hddvd file.
i don't want to use MF5 because i would like to preserve the better audio and some people have been complaining about the audio being downrezed by MF5 to 2.0 from 5:1---
The computer isn't an issue here i have 2 opteron 254s with 2 gb of ram and a good video card---anyone have any ideas or can report similar problems and a process or method they used to get better performance? thanks folks, steve
christefan is offline  
post #81 of 3176 Old 08-08-2006, 07:39 PM
Advanced Member
 
hdtv_moron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: in utter stupidity
Posts: 556
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
OK. I bought Womble, MF5, and Nero. I have the Toshiba A1 and updated it with firmware v 1.4. It played Apollo 13 HDDVD and Any Given Sunday (Regular DVD) with no problems.

I had HDV source material (captured with HDV split) and Jay Leno Material (captured from Hipix).

I burned 2 different brands of DVD-R and a DVD+RW.

None of it worked.

MF5 did the conversions in less than a few minutes so I know there was no re-rendering.

I'll peruse the original thread. I suspect there is something missing from these instructions since I followed them to the last letter with no apparent issues (other than the DVDs I created don't work in the Toshiba).

Update:

I had no problems burning and running the test DVD (on the same DVD-R disc I've been trying to use) iso file from here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=707769

So the issue is clearly with MF5 and/or Womble. I started looking into the original thread. Lots of interesting info there that seems to be missing from the instructions in this thread. I imagine I'll find the answer there. Maybe that's the thread that should be a sticky instead of this one. Maybe the moderator should switch, no?

The Idiot
hdtv_moron is offline  
post #82 of 3176 Old 08-08-2006, 09:40 PM
Senior Member
 
texmex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Virginia
Posts: 260
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdtv_moron View Post

So the issue is clearly with MF5 and/or Womble. I started looking into the original thread. Lots of interesting info there that seems to be missing from the instructions in this thread. I imagine I'll find the answer there. Maybe that's the thread that should be a sticky instead of this one. Maybe the moderator should switch, no?

Actually, it sounds like the problem wasn't with MF5 or Womble - if MF5 authored the DVD without re-encoding, then the problem is probably related to the burn (Nero). Which settings did you use to burn the DVD in Nero and what exactly do you see when you insert the disk into the A1?
texmex is offline  
post #83 of 3176 Old 08-09-2006, 01:30 AM
Member
 
galaxy_jason's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by texmex View Post

Actually, it sounds like the problem wasn't with MF5 or Womble - if MF5 authored the DVD without re-encoding, then the problem is probably related to the burn (Nero). Which settings did you use to burn the DVD in Nero and what exactly do you see when you insert the disk into the A1?

I am having the same problem as stated in a previous thread. I have tried
everyting, with no luck. The Toshiba says "HD DVD" then 00000, then
Error.

I wonder if there is an issue with some players. I have tried frimware
v1.2, and v1.4, no luck with either.

I asked if someone could send me a known good disc but no takers.
That would rule out the player.
galaxy_jason is offline  
post #84 of 3176 Old 08-09-2006, 05:31 AM
Advanced Member
 
hdtv_moron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: in utter stupidity
Posts: 556
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by texmex View Post

Actually, it sounds like the problem wasn't with MF5 or Womble - if MF5 authored the DVD without re-encoding, then the problem is probably related to the burn (Nero). Which settings did you use to burn the DVD in Nero and what exactly do you see when you insert the disk into the A1?

It's certainly possible it is Nero.

The A1 displays a little purple window with white lettering: "Cannot Play the Disc" and the front of the A1 displays "ERROR."

For Nero I tried both "techniques" in the first post. I tried the Nero technique #1 using the DVD-ROM (UDF) option with XBOX compatibility set. No luck.

I noticed the demo patterns disk had 3 folders, AUDIO_TS, VIDEO_TS and HVDVD_TS. MF5 only produced the HVDVD_TS folder. So I then tried technique #2 (DVD-Video option). Created the folders and files as recommended, etc. I also tried technique #2 with DVD-ROM (UDF) but the result was no different.

I am sure I missed something or there is a little detail in the instructions that should be there but isn't. Why would Nero technique#1 not require the addition of the AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS folders since MF5 does not create them?

I'll keep trying. Once I figure it out I'll post.

Thanks for responding texmex.

The Idiot
hdtv_moron is offline  
post #85 of 3176 Old 08-09-2006, 05:42 AM
Senior Member
 
Bitwize's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 427
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Anyone tried authoring The Fifth Element? the 1080i, DD 5.1 version. MF5 keeps wanting to convert it. Would be nice transferring this one as it's a blu-ray release.
Bitwize is offline  
post #86 of 3176 Old 08-09-2006, 05:59 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
Nathan_R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: The lost underwater city of Atlanta.
Posts: 1,561
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitwize View Post

Anyone tried authoring The Fifth Element? the 1080i, DD 5.1 version. MF5 keeps wanting to convert it. Would be nice transferring this one as it's a blu-ray release.


I authored my 1080i DD2.0 dvhs copy of The Fifth Element to HD DVD yesterday.

PSN: KyFriedNate | XBL: KyFriedNate
My SACD Collection | My DVD-A Collection
Nathan_R is offline  
post #87 of 3176 Old 08-09-2006, 06:01 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Hyrax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Eastern Massachusetts
Posts: 2,563
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by texmex View Post

Actually, it sounds like the problem wasn't with MF5 or Womble - if MF5 authored the DVD without re-encoding, then the problem is probably related to the burn (Nero). Which settings did you use to burn the DVD in Nero and what exactly do you see when you insert the disk into the A1?

I burned one bad disk and it gave the exact same error. I used MF5's 'create image' option (which is not available in current versions) and had Nero burn the image file.

Based on this, I also believe that the problem is in the burning stage. It could either be Nero, the media, or it could be your DVD burner. It seems like you've tried everything in Nero and I assume you're using a good brand of media (have you tried single layer media?). That means that perhaps the problem is your DVD burner.

You can get a Nec 3550A burner from NewEgg for about $31 (currently with free shipping). THis is the same burner I'm using and it works well - you might want to try it.
Hyrax is offline  
post #88 of 3176 Old 08-09-2006, 06:17 AM
AVS Special Member
 
pteittinen's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Finland
Posts: 3,790
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxy_jason View Post

I am having the same problem as stated in a previous thread. I have tried
everyting, with no luck. The Toshiba says "HD DVD" then 00000, then
Error.

Like I posted in the other thread, that's what kept happening to me when I was going through all the manual UDF options in Nero. No matter which UDF version I selected, the disc behaved exactly like you describe. Xbox Compatibility solved the problem.

Please, feel free to call me by my first name, Petri.
pteittinen is offline  
post #89 of 3176 Old 08-09-2006, 06:20 AM
AVS Special Member
 
pteittinen's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Finland
Posts: 3,790
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyrax View Post

You can get a Nec 3550A burner from NewEgg for about $31 (currently with free shipping).

Ridiculously cheap, and pretty much *the* burner to get.

Everyone is aware that Nero is buggy as hell? I recently switched from the absolute latest version to Roxio RecordNow 8, because Nero started messing up my regular data back-ups.

Before anyone asks: no, I haven't tried burning HD DVDs with Roxio. It has no Xbox Compatibility option, by the way.

Please, feel free to call me by my first name, Petri.
pteittinen is offline  
post #90 of 3176 Old 08-09-2006, 07:16 AM
Member
 
galaxy_jason's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by pteittinen View Post

Like I posted in the other thread, that's what kept happening to me when I was going through all the manual UDF options in Nero. No matter which UDF version I selected, the disc behaved exactly like you describe. Xbox Compatibility solved the problem.

Yes, I have tried that. Same results, "can't read disc". I have done the
procedure exactly. I have also done the procedure with the MF5 project
set to DVD instead of HD DVD and it play just fine as a DVD.

Can somebody pleeease send a disc. If there is a player compatibilty
problem then it needs to be in the instructions.
galaxy_jason is offline  
Reply HD DVD Software

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off