The official AVS Guide to HD DVD Authoring. - Page 31 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #901 of 3176 Old 12-10-2006, 07:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Mine were Memorex and Verbatim DL DVD+Rs. They all play very smoothly on my A1. I'll try my SL DVD+R and -R discs later today, then report back.

The stutter I saw seemed like the drive not being able to spin fast enough. The A1 behaves more like a computer than the A2, so maybe it has a better buffering capability.

HD Media Keen Videosaurus
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 3176 Old 12-10-2006, 10:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Clark View Post

I didn't even try a blue laser disc. I couldn't get it to read the red laser ones. Is that a feature that's only enabled when you buy the full version? (Mine reads version 8.0 B06.101.)

Do you see a HD DVD tab in the Setup menu? The tab didn't appear for me until I rebooted and re-attached the drive a couple of times so Windows reported finding a Xbox 360 drive.

Please, feel free to call me by my first name, Petri.
post #903 of 3176 Old 12-10-2006, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Previously I had only tried my camcorder footage HD DVDs, but I did some more testing of several different homemade HD DVDs on the HD-A2...

All my OTA, cable & satellite TS files converted to HD DVD work fine. They're all between 9-18 mbps, the latter bitrate from the good old days before HD-Lite. The few I've created menus for, the navigation is sluggish. I've found no difference between SL, DL, or -R/+R discs. Some discs, the playback stutters, but if I jump one chapter back or forward, the playback becomes normal again. Skipping around or FF/REW can cause the stutter again.

Michael, I agree w/you though. The Memorex 2.4x DL seem to be more problematic. However, my Fuji 2.4x DLs all play smoothly.

My Sony HC3 camcorder footage HD DVDs stutter no matter what. I only have DL discs of those at this point, so don't know if SL would play smoothly. The problem I think is that the HC3 footage is 25 mbps/sec. I'm guessing the A2 can't handle this on DVD media. Hope someone else can test this.

Audio is finnicky. Some DD5.1 tracks don't lock on my Onkyo SR604 receiver via HDMI. So, I'm using an optical connection as well & that has been fine so far.

post #904 of 3176 Old 12-10-2006, 03:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brajesh View Post

Previously I had only tried my camcorder footage HD DVDs, but I did some more testing of several different homemade HD DVDs on the HD-A2...

All my OTA, cable & satellite TS files converted to HD DVD work fine. They're all between 9-18 mbps, the latter bitrate from the good old days before HD-Lite. The few I've created menus for, the navigation is sluggish. I've found no difference between SL, DL, or -R/+R discs. Some discs, the playback stutters, but if I jump one chapter back or forward, the playback becomes normal again. Skipping around or FF/REW can cause the stutter again.

Michael, I agree w/you though. The Memorex 2.4x DL seem to be more problematic. However, my Fuji 2.4x DLs all play smoothly.

My Sony HC3 camcorder footage HD DVDs stutter no matter what. I only have DL discs of those at this point, so don't know if SL would play smoothly. The problem I think is that the HC3 footage is 25 mbps/sec. I'm guessing the A2 can't handle this on DVD media. Hope someone else can test this.

Audio is finnicky. Some DD5.1 tracks don't lock on my Onkyo SR604 receiver via HDMI. So, I'm using an optical connection as well & that has been fine so far.

I tested some 30mbps content sent to me by Grandmaster and it played OK on the A1 (red laser, of course). I'm assuming your playback on the A2 is, indeed, more iffy than it is on the A1, right? The A1 had no trouble skipping with those same discs?

Joe Clark

post #905 of 3176 Old 12-10-2006, 06:40 PM

Did someone have heard of coming software (Premiere Pro, Vegas etc.) that will be able to work with VC1 encoded files for HD-DVD? Any date?

Can we tweak MF5 to accept those files (with HDpatch etc.)?

I know I'm not alone dreaming of 90 minutes HD movie on a single DVD DL...

Cheers.

L'avenir, c'est le futur!
post #906 of 3176 Old 12-10-2006, 06:42 PM

Quote:

I think is that the HC3 footage is 25 mbps/sec

My HC1 footage is 25 mbps/sec, 1440x1080i, 29.97 fps.

Regards.

L'avenir, c'est le futur!
post #907 of 3176 Old 12-10-2006, 07:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Yes, that is one of two possible HDV specifications, the other being 720p:

http://www.geocities.com/mammacow3/HDVSpec.htm
post #908 of 3176 Old 12-10-2006, 08:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I tested some 30mbps content sent to me by Grandmaster and it played OK on the A1 (red laser, of course). I'm assuming your playback on the A2 is, indeed, more iffy than it is on the A1, right? The A1 had no trouble skipping with those same discs?

Right. My A1 has had no trouble playing the 25 mbps HC3 footage. I hope someone else w/high bitrate MPGs, 25 mpbs or greater, can test their HD DVDs in the A2 & report back.

At this point, as I really like the A2 better than the clunky A1 as my HD DVD player, I'm looking for cheap or free software to re-encode my 25mbps TS/MPG files to around 18 mbps.

post #909 of 3176 Old 12-10-2006, 08:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Right. My A1 has had no trouble playing the 25 mbps HC3 footage. I hope someone else w/high bitrate MPGs, 25 mpbs or greater, can test their HD DVDs in the A2 & report back.

At this point, as I really like the A2 better than the clunky A1 as my HD DVD player, I'm looking for cheap or free software to re-encode my 25mbps TS/MPG files to around 18 mbps.

I was ready to test today, but my local Best Buy didn't get the A2 in. Supposed to be tomorrow. Of course, testing is on a 30" LCD right now. My projector is down - 1080p replacement is coming Tuesday.

Joe Clark

post #910 of 3176 Old 12-11-2006, 01:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

Right. My A1 has had no trouble playing the 25 mbps HC3 footage. I'm looking for cheap or free software to re-encode my 25mbps TS/MPG files to around 18 mbps.

In many NLE software apps you can simply CHANGE the data-rate ENCODING value to 18Mbps.

Then it will export 1080i at about 20Mbps. There is no need to re-encode!

You can then push the 18Mbps up by 0.5Mbps until it breaks on the A2. You might get to 19Mbps.
post #911 of 3176 Old 12-11-2006, 08:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Does "NLE" stand for "non-linear editing"? I have Womble MPEG-VCR & Video Re-do. Can I change the bitrate to 18mbps using either? Would I go into 'properties' or something to do this?

Is what you're suggesting simply tricking the A2 into thinking it's getting 18mbps or really getting 18mbps? The other thing I need to try is a SL DVD blank & see if the A2 can handle 25mbps.

post #912 of 3176 Old 12-11-2006, 10:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caffespresso View Post

Did someone have heard of coming software (Premiere Pro, Vegas etc.) that will be able to work with VC1 encoded files for HD-DVD? Any date?

Can we tweak MF5 to accept those files (with HDpatch etc.)?

I know I'm not alone dreaming of 90 minutes HD movie on a single DVD DL...

Cheers.

Most of the HD movies I recorded off the ABC & Fox (720p) fit on one memerox DL DVD. At 12mb/sec one DL DVD holds about 90min HD DVD.
post #913 of 3176 Old 12-11-2006, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Just wanted to take a moment to thank everyone contributing to this thread. Had my first success today burning an HD DVD copy of "Frosty the Snowman" recorded OTA in 1080i on my homebuilt Media Center PC.

Followed the directions using VideoReDo, MovieFactory 5 and Nero 7. Worked like a charm and plays fine in my Xbox 360 add-on. Much crisper than the SD DVD I made last year from the same source.

I've got the last six episodes of Heroes ready to burn. If I can just find uncompressed copies of the first six I'll have a complete set.

Never could have done it on my own. Much appreciated.
post #914 of 3176 Old 12-11-2006, 12:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RADIatiON View Post

The source for this is found in all the usual locations. When I started reading this thread and experimenting I got some clips of various different things, tv shows mostly. I actually see a lot of stuff (mainly TV shows) with these numbersWhich brought up my question about which number to be looking at.. the 65.00 Mbps or the 18.08 Mbps Average.
I see that some have patched the header of files with a 65 listed down to something else and it has worked, but I think that's on stand-alone boxes, not the xbox add-on.

I actually have a file that is an HD demo that has these stats

Quote:
Originally Posted by arfster View Post

Nah, the 38mbit will be the Samsung demo reel, which is CBR mpeg2. It runs off PCs in showrooms, so no broadcast restrictions, and looks fantastic.

has anyone been able to successfully burn this demo reel or any max bit rate video to disc and have it play properly on the 360 hd dvd add on (or any hd dvd drive for that matter)?

as mentioned, it's a 38mbps file. i run it through videoredo and there are no errors or problems. if i then leave it alone movie factory tries to recode it. i patched the header down to 25 using hd patch and movie factory recognizes it and doesn't recode it. it burns fine with nero, but when i go to play it, it starts up fine but the video stutters like crazy throughout. audio plays fine. any ideas?

on a related note, many of the clips (mostly demo loops) i run through videoredo give me errors such as:

PTS underflow
input sequence error
audio frame, video resync error

these clips seem to then play fine on the pc, but when they're burned to disc they lock up the player hard...

---Mr. Met---

J-E-T-S-JETS JETS JETS!!!!!!! --- LETS GO DE-VILS!!!!!!! --- LETS GO METS!!!!!!! --- LETS GO NETS!!!!!!!
post #915 of 3176 Old 12-11-2006, 07:21 PM

Will VS10+ create the correct folders to burn a HD-DVD i.e. HVDVD_TS etc. like MF5?
Although I select HD-1440 in the "Disc Template Manager" the "Project Settings" will only show 720 x 480 and only the standard DVD folders are created.

davidcw8
post #916 of 3176 Old 12-11-2006, 08:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'm having a problem I can't figure out. I have done multiple tests on my 360 and I have had no sucess. I have a 2 minute 1440x1080i file that I recorded with a sony z1u camcorder. I followed the directions to a Tee, but when I play the DVD+R in my 360 all it does is go to a black screen and hang.

Is there something wrong with the instructions when it comes to a 360?

One last thing of note, I'm using Memorex blank DVD+R's. I connected my 360 drive up to my pc and it can read normal HD-DVD's, but not read that disks I am burning. Perhaps its the type of blanks I'm using.

Are there specific types of blanks anyone else is using that works? Has anyone burned with memorex's and gotten them to work?

Thanx.

post #917 of 3176 Old 12-12-2006, 05:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by talbain View Post

has anyone been able to successfully burn this demo reel or any max bit rate video to disc and have it play properly on the 360 hd dvd add on (or any hd dvd drive for that matter)?

as mentioned, it's a 38mbps file. if i leave it alone movie factory tries to recode it. i patched the header down to 25 using hd patch and movie factory recognizes it and doesn't recode it. it burns fine with nero, but when i go to play it, it starts up fine but the video stutters like crazy throughout. audio plays fine. any ideas?

30Mb/s is the Peak MUX rate for HD DVD including Audio/Video/subs/HDi/ect.....

Tyler Pruitt - Technical Liaison at SpectraCal
post #918 of 3176 Old 12-12-2006, 07:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 159
I just placed an order for a Toshiba HD-A2 after seeing this thread. The prospect of being able to record HD content to standard DVD-Rs without expensive DVD burners or HD media has knocked me off the HD DVD format fence. I've been extracting and burning DVDs from material recorded on standard definition DirecTivos for about six years now so the process outlined here looks quite familiar, but I've got a couple of questions. I've tried the search function but got too many hits to wade through.

I installed VideoReDo on my PC quite a while ago and have kept up with the latest updates. I know there is an option to select when using Ulead products but since I wasn't using any at the time I left it deselected. Is it necessary to have this set up to work with DMF5? If so, is there an option somewhere in the menus that it can be selected after it has already been set up?

I've used DVDPatcher in the past so I'm somewhat familiar with the process of patching headers. I seem to get the sense that it is preferable to patch all of the headers in the mpeg file rather than just the first one. I used to patch just the first header when importing my 480x480 mpeg files from a SD DTivo into SpruceUp. This was used just to fool SpruceUp into believing it was working with DVD-compliant resolutions, much the same as it is being done with DMF5. The thing is, we always patched the first VOB back to 480x480 when we were finished since that's the actual resolution of the files and leaving just the first header patched tended to make the DVD unplayable.

I guess the actual question here is whether or not the Toshiba HD-A2, and other HD-DVD players as well, will play 1280x1088 files. If so, then I would see the need to patch the first EVO file back to 1280x1088 rather than leave it at 1080. Obviously, many of you aren't seeing a problem with leaving the headers patched and, since the change in resolution is relatively minor (if not altogether insiginificant) it may be a moot point. I'm wondering if anyone has actually tried patching the first header to 1080 and then patching it back to 1088. I couldn't help but notice that HDPatcher only appears to patch it in one direction.

I also didn't see a definitive answer to the question of tagging just the first header vs. the entire mpeg file. If you are only tagging the first header to allow the mpeg file to be imported into DMF5 or VS10, then you need to patch it back. Otherwise, you'd probably need to patch the entire file. All headers within the same mpeg file should be at the same resolution or it could cause problems during playback. The DVD player will be expecting to see all headers at the same resolution as the first one it sees on that group of VOBs or EVOs. Since the two resolutions are so close it may not cause any problems but since I havn't received my HD-A2 yet this is purely speculation on my part. I will definitely be doing some experimentation once I receive my player to see if there are any discernible differences.
post #919 of 3176 Old 12-12-2006, 09:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiFi-Spy View Post

30Mb/s is the Peak MUX rate for HD DVD including Audio/Video/subs/HDi/ect.....

ok then, i understand why that one wouldn't work. what about these errors that are reported in videoredo? it seems that every time there's the slightest problem with the file, it will render the disc unplayable. even files that i've had to patch with hd patcher because they are 1088 instead of 1080 refuse to work

---Mr. Met---

J-E-T-S-JETS JETS JETS!!!!!!! --- LETS GO DE-VILS!!!!!!! --- LETS GO METS!!!!!!! --- LETS GO NETS!!!!!!!
post #920 of 3176 Old 12-12-2006, 09:23 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 16
I have not kept up with this thread in a while. Has anything improved with the process from early on. Any new programs to simplify the process sense the first few pages. Thanks!
post #921 of 3176 Old 12-12-2006, 09:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Gouger View Post

I have not kept up with this thread in a while. Has anything improved with the process from early on. Any new programs to simplify the process sense the first few pages. Thanks!

Alan I believe the front page process gets updated with any new process. The only other app available thats not mentioned is the Pinnacle plugin that burns HD-DVD to DVD, but that seems to have problems working on 360's.

post #922 of 3176 Old 12-12-2006, 09:40 AM
AVS Special Member

I got my DVD burns to work on my 360 with capped tv shows, but not with footage I captured on my camcorder. Anyone have any idea's about what might be wrong with the footage?

post #923 of 3176 Old 12-12-2006, 10:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

The biggest single thing that's new and simplifies the process is that the latest version of Movie Factory 5+ now supports native 720p broadcasts (OTA and satellite, but not HDV). So, you don't have to go through the process of fooling MF5 into thinking a 720 is a 1080. The other big thing is that the latest VideoRedo is much more likely to create files that won't choke MF5 when you try to load them. You activate that feature with a secret button press (it's in the guide). I moved VideoRedo to the head of the class because of that alone.

If you have a printout of the guide, it did undergo its biggest single overhaul recently. It wasn't huge, but it did contain a fair amount of new information. There is also a change in the FAQ section about using HDPatch to change high bitrate headers so MF5 doesn't re-encode.

Joe Clark

post #924 of 3176 Old 12-12-2006, 10:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_video View Post

I just placed an order for a Toshiba HD-A2 after seeing this thread. The prospect of being able to record HD content to standard DVD-Rs without expensive DVD burners or HD media has knocked me off the HD DVD format fence. I've been extracting and burning DVDs from material recorded on standard definition DirecTivos for about six years now so the process outlined here looks quite familiar, but I've got a couple of questions. I've tried the search function but got too many hits to wade through.

I installed VideoReDo on my PC quite a while ago and have kept up with the latest updates. I know there is an option to select when using Ulead products but since I wasn't using any at the time I left it deselected. Is it necessary to have this set up to work with DMF5? If so, is there an option somewhere in the menus that it can be selected after it has already been set up?

I've used DVDPatcher in the past so I'm somewhat familiar with the process of patching headers. I seem to get the sense that it is preferable to patch all of the headers in the mpeg file rather than just the first one. I used to patch just the first header when importing my 480x480 mpeg files from a SD DTivo into SpruceUp. This was used just to fool SpruceUp into believing it was working with DVD-compliant resolutions, much the same as it is being done with DMF5. The thing is, we always patched the first VOB back to 480x480 when we were finished since that's the actual resolution of the files and leaving just the first header patched tended to make the DVD unplayable.

I guess the actual question here is whether or not the Toshiba HD-A2, and other HD-DVD players as well, will play 1280x1088 files. If so, then I would see the need to patch the first EVO file back to 1280x1088 rather than leave it at 1080. Obviously, many of you aren't seeing a problem with leaving the headers patched and, since the change in resolution is relatively minor (if not altogether insiginificant) it may be a moot point. I'm wondering if anyone has actually tried patching the first header to 1080 and then patching it back to 1088. I couldn't help but notice that HDPatcher only appears to patch it in one direction.

I also didn't see a definitive answer to the question of tagging just the first header vs. the entire mpeg file. If you are only tagging the first header to allow the mpeg file to be imported into DMF5 or VS10, then you need to patch it back. Otherwise, you'd probably need to patch the entire file. All headers within the same mpeg file should be at the same resolution or it could cause problems during playback. The DVD player will be expecting to see all headers at the same resolution as the first one it sees on that group of VOBs or EVOs. Since the two resolutions are so close it may not cause any problems but since I havn't received my HD-A2 yet this is purely speculation on my part. I will definitely be doing some experimentation once I receive my player to see if there are any discernible differences.

The MF5 question about Ulead, as far as I know, doesn't get asked anymore. Take a look at the guide in the VideoRedo section and you'll see the secret key press that makes life so much easier. I'll leave the 1088 questions to the D* folks.

Joe Clark

post #925 of 3176 Old 12-12-2006, 10:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chap View Post

I got my DVD burns to work on my 360 with capped tv shows, but not with footage I captured on my camcorder. Anyone have any idea's about what might be wrong with the footage?

The word I got recently was that a firmware update was coming soon that would fix a lot of the 360 issues people have been talking about. We haven't heard yet.

Joe Clark

post #926 of 3176 Old 12-12-2006, 10:09 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 16
Thanks all
post #927 of 3176 Old 12-12-2006, 10:38 AM

Ok, I tried search in thread and didn't see this. Last night I burned a disc with a show from my firewire capture. The show is 1920x1080i. I had no problems in VideoRedo and Ulead MF5. Burned the disc with Nero 6 (getting 7 today).

Now here is the issue. I put the disc in the player and it recognized the disc and said HD-DVD on the LCD. It then went to Play, and after a few moments without any on-screen messaging the LCD front panel of the HD-XA1 shows "HDMI Error 1". I find this really strange as all of my HD-DVDs play fine and even if I eject my homemade disc and put a store bought disc in it works and plays fine. The TV recognizes the 1080i input and plays fine.
post #928 of 3176 Old 12-12-2006, 10:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

no, the process is ridiculous. the faq here does a great job of explaining how it's done, but when you need to use 3 to 6 separate programs to author a simple clip disc and STILL have a very real possibility of burning a coaster, the process is not quite ready for primetime

in the past 2 days i'm ashamed to say i have burned 2 successful discs and 14 coasters that are unplayable on the 360 hd dvd drive...when i hit 20 i'll just give up

---Mr. Met---

post #929 of 3176 Old 12-12-2006, 10:55 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
i have burnt 48 dual layer and 32 single layer and not a single coaster yet
post #930 of 3176 Old 12-12-2006, 11:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by talbain View Post

no, the process is ridiculous. the faq here does a great job of explaining how it's done, but when you need to use 3 to 6 separate programs to author a simple clip disc and STILL have a very real possibility of burning a coaster, the process is not quite ready for primetime

in the past 2 days i'm ashamed to say i have burned 2 successful discs and 14 coasters that are unplayable on the 360 hd dvd drive...when i hit 20 i'll just give up

A lot of people are having issues with the 360 drive. The regular Toshiba drive will give much better results. Sorry you're having such problems. (We're still waiting for more info on the A2. I will probably have information on that today, if I can get hold of one.)

It may not make you feel any better, but I had a lot of problems in the beginning and most of them have just gone away. I almost never get a coaster (unless it's Nero's fault) and almost everything works well now.

Joe Clark

Reply HD DVD Software

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page