The official AVS Guide to HD DVD Authoring. - Page 34 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #991 of 3176 Old 12-16-2006, 09:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I just did a test by trying to pad a disk with 400 megs and it seemed to help quite a bit. There was a little jitter for the first second or 2, but after that it was perfect. Perhaps tomorrow I will try 5-600 megs adn see if that works better.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #992 of 3176 Old 12-16-2006, 09:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 161
I just received my Toshiba HD-A2 yesterday and tried my first couple of discs created using this giude and they all worked perfectly. I tried shows recorded from TNT-HD and HBO-HD initially that were recorded on my HDTivo. I transferred them to my PC and then muxed them to mpeg2 files, edited them with VideoReDo, patched them with HDPatcher and authored them in DVD Movie Factory 5. The whole process is simple and painless, although the time to extract the files, mux them, and then edit and remux tends to be somewhat time consuming. It's also a good thing that I have tones of available hard drive space because it will eat it up in a hurry.
post #993 of 3176 Old 12-18-2006, 07:40 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It looks like some people are having troubles with high bit-rates and/or large files sizes. I've seen no details on re-compressing the files to solve this. What codec is being used for most of these DVDs? Is it standard MPEG -2 or does one of the programs re-compress it to something else?

I'm wondering if the software and the Toshiba drive can handle files re-compressed to x264. It will take time to re-encode, but the results should look identical (if re-compressed correctly) and the files and bit-rates will both be lower. I'd like to archive to my media server and save the files as x264; thought it might be useful for those saving to DVD as well.
post #994 of 3176 Old 12-18-2006, 08:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
currently it has to be mpeg 2 because the only software that we have that makes HD-DVD only supports mpeg2. Its not liek we are just putting a file on the disk as a .mpg. Its similar to the difference between .vob and .mpg. They are almost interchangable but not quite.

Edit: actually thats not completely true. Scenarist should support it, but its a very expensive product.

post #995 of 3176 Old 12-18-2006, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 186
FYI: Both Best Buy and Office Max have the 50 sleeve of the 4.7GB Verbatim DVD-r (which are good for short content 720P & 1080i burns on the A2) for $12.99 this week. Just picked up two sleeves on the way in to work this morning

"If we ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space."
post #996 of 3176 Old 12-18-2006, 09:08 PM

Liked: 10
Well, I thought I did everything right. I bought a new HDR-HC3 for our Thailand vacation and while there took about 4 hours' video. I bought Nero 7 thinking I could transfer the HD video tape to DVD to view on our new Toshiba HD-A2. Didn't get to first base. My PC will not see the HC3 no matter what I do. I tried two different firewire cards, and two different cables with the same result. XP sees the card, just not the camera connected to it. It isn't the camera or the cable, because my laptop sees the HC3 when I plug into it. The laptop doesn't have the horsepower to capture smoothly.

Any ideas on how to make my desktop find my HC3?? Thanks for any help.
Gene
post #997 of 3176 Old 12-18-2006, 09:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by erg0010 View Post

Well, I thought I did everything right. I bought a new HDR-HC3 for our Thailand vacation and while there took about 4 hours' video. I bought Nero 7 thinking I could transfer the HD video tape to DVD to view on our new Toshiba HD-A2. Didn't get to first base. My PC will not see the HC3 no matter what I do. I tried two different firewire cards, and two different cables with the same result. XP sees the card, just not the camera connected to it. It isn't the camera or the cable, because my laptop sees the HC3 when I plug into it. The laptop doesn't have the horsepower to capture smoothly.

Any ideas on how to make my desktop find my HC3?? Thanks for any help.
Gene

I use Adobe Premiere for capture, but I think Ulead VideoStudio works, too. Maybe MovieFactory 5. We'll need some help from other HC3 owners here.

Joe Clark

post #998 of 3176 Old 12-18-2006, 10:54 PM
RTK
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_video View Post

I just received my Toshiba HD-A2 yesterday and tried my first couple of discs created using this giude and they all worked perfectly. I tried shows recorded from TNT-HD and HBO-HD initially that were recorded on my HDTivo. I transferred them to my PC and then muxed them to mpeg2 files, edited them with VideoReDo, patched them with HDPatcher and authored them in DVD Movie Factory 5. The whole process is simple and painless, although the time to extract the files, mux them, and then edit and remux tends to be somewhat time consuming. It's also a good thing that I have tones of available hard drive space because it will eat it up in a hurry.

How many minutes of TNT-HD or HBO-HD were you able to fit on a DL-DVD? I recognize it depends upon the bitrate of the file but from your comments these are using Directv HD bitrates and resolution

Rick
post #999 of 3176 Old 12-19-2006, 02:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 68
I get both via Dish. TNT's bitrate is usually a little better than HBO's. I can fit 1:15 to 1:25 of TNT on a DL disc & 1:20-1:40 of HBO on a DL disc.

HD Media Keen Videosaurus
post #1000 of 3176 Old 12-19-2006, 05:07 PM

Yesterday I installed both these Cyberlink softwares to see if I could author a compliant HD DVD. Big mistake! One or both of these programs totally hosed my HTPC. My SPDIF output ceased to function until I reinstalled the sound drivers, and VMR9 video rendering from WMP 11 has totally screwy colors until I reinstalled the Nvidia video drivers. It's going to be a while before I am brave enough to install any Cyberlink software again.

On the plus side, PowerProducer 4 was able to author an HD DVD from some MPEG-2 content... and it did not appear to be re-encoding! My only proof, however, is that the process only took about a minute for 3 minutes of video, so I guess it could still be a recode if their MPEG-2 encoder is really, really fast. I must say I thought that the interface was very clean and intuitive, a bit better than Ulead's Movie Factory.

More bad news, though: the BD authoring functionality in PowerProducer 4 was totally, uh, non-functional.
post #1001 of 3176 Old 12-19-2006, 05:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Just so I'm clear on the stuttering issues on the A2 - do DVD-R's perform better in terms of the stuttering than DVD+R's? I'm using almost exclusively +R's and I've had the problem on 3 or 4 discs of the some 4 or 5 dozen I've played. How much of a problem are the -R's for those of you who've been using them for authoring?

Joe Clark

post #1002 of 3176 Old 12-19-2006, 05:40 PM
AVS Special Member

No difference for me with 16x certified -R vs +R SLs.

post #1003 of 3176 Old 12-19-2006, 07:11 PM
RTK
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brajesh View Post

I get both via Dish. TNT's bitrate is usually a little better than HBO's. I can fit 1:15 to 1:25 of TNT on a DL disc & 1:20-1:40 of HBO on a DL disc.

Thanks for the good info. So are you essentially looking at the size of the recording and determining if it will fit on a single DL-DVD or how do you determine in advance if it will fit on a single disc?

Rick
post #1004 of 3176 Old 12-20-2006, 08:39 AM
AVS Special Member

By guess-timating . Since bitrate varies between movies & channels, I usually try to push it & create a 1:30-plus MPG segment from a TS capture I have. It doesn't take Video Redo or MPEG-VCR that long to spit it out. The idea is to get a filesize of close to 7.9 GB for DL & 4.37 GB for SL.

post #1005 of 3176 Old 12-20-2006, 10:43 AM
RTK
AVS Special Member

Thanks again. So are you re-encoding with VideoRedo or Womble at a lower bit rate when you need to reduce the size of the file to ~7.9GB? On that same thought, what is the absolute maximum size .ts file you can use?

Rick
post #1006 of 3176 Old 12-20-2006, 11:10 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm not re-encoding, simple converting TS to MPG so Ulead MF5 will accept the MPG as a compliant file. The size of the TS file isn't a good indicator of what the size of the resulting MPG file will be. VRD & Womble strip TS null packets, so the resulting MPG is smaller, but that varies given the actual bitrate.

post #1007 of 3176 Old 12-20-2006, 02:19 PM
Advanced Member

I am getting some serious bad pixelation (maybe wrong term) problems throughout my video when I convert my TS files to MPEG with VideoRedo Plus. Has anyone else encounter this problem? Is there a solution to this?

Curtis
Xbox Live ID: Blaze104
MSI Media Live DIVA 5.1
Ahanix MCE701 case
LG Blu-ray/HD-DVD
3 Cable Card
1 HDHomerun
Windows 7 32bit
42" HP MediaSmart
WHS Norco 4020 case w/ WHS 2011
post #1008 of 3176 Old 12-21-2006, 01:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Sorry if someone has already posted this, but found an HD DVD demuxer tool. Hopefully a cheapware or freeware isn't far off.

post #1009 of 3176 Old 12-21-2006, 03:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
1) PS3 will not read red-laser HD discs.

2) Sony BD player will not read BD-R or BD-RW which delays the value of BD burners. Assume the same is true for other BD players.

3) Xbox player cheap, but useless unless you have an Xbox and even then is a 2 box solution. Limited to about 20Mbps with red-laser discs -- maybe less.

4) Only Dell and Toshiba laptops can burn HD DVD, so not a general solution.

5) Toshiba players will play red-laser HD discs at 25Mbps. Even AC3 audio can be used.

If I'm correct on these points, there is only one solution for those shooting 1080i rather than copying ATSC -- and that's using a Toshiba player. Moreover, most editing apps. can output 720p at 25Mbps (chose D-VHS).

So, are there any differences (other than audio) between picking up a cheap 1st gen. verses buying a new 2nd generation?
post #1010 of 3176 Old 12-21-2006, 07:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Clark View Post

Just so I'm clear on the stuttering issues on the A2 - do DVD-R's perform better in terms of the stuttering than DVD+R's? I'm using almost exclusively +R's and I've had the problem on 3 or 4 discs of the some 4 or 5 dozen I've played. How much of a problem are the -R's for those of you who've been using them for authoring?

In my case I only use DVD-r's for the A2 now as I found that any time I saw any stuttering it was exclusive to DVD+r discs. Never had any stuttering at all with DVD-r's. As to the authoring, no difference except that -r's take a extra few seconds at the end of the burn to fixate the disc, +r's skip that step.... but it's an automated process- so no difference to the end user.

"If we ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space."
post #1011 of 3176 Old 12-21-2006, 08:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-v-c View Post

1) PS3 will not read red-laser HD discs.

2) Sony BD player will not read BD-R or BD-RW which delays the value of BD burners. Assume the same is true for other BD players.

3) Xbox player cheap, but useless unless you have an Xbox and even then is a 2 box solution. Limited to about 20Mbps with red-laser discs -- maybe less.

4) Only Dell and Toshiba laptops can burn HD DVD, so not a general solution.

5) Toshiba players will play red-laser HD discs at 25Mbps. Even AC3 audio can be used.

If I'm correct on these points, there is only one solution for those shooting 1080i rather than copying ATSC -- and that's using a Toshiba player. Moreover, most editing apps. can output 720p at 25Mbps (chose D-VHS).

So, are there any differences (other than audio) between picking up a cheap 1st gen. verses buying a new 2nd generation?

First gen players don't seem to have as much trouble playing our homebrew discs without stuttering, as the A2 does on some discs. First gen players are maddeningly slow after you get used to how quickly the second gen players handle everything from turning on to ejecting discs.

Joe Clark

post #1012 of 3176 Old 12-21-2006, 08:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by replayrob View Post

In my case I only use DVD-r's for the A2 now as I found that any time I saw any stuttering it was exclusive to DVD+r discs. Never had any stuttering at all with DVD-r's. As to the authoring, no difference except that -r's take a extra few seconds at the end of the burn to fixate the disc, +r's skip that step.... but it's an automated process- so no difference to the end user.

Thanks for the feedback. I think I'll use -R's once I run through this stockpile of +R's. Fortunately, I haven't had much of a problem so far.

Joe Clark

post #1013 of 3176 Old 12-21-2006, 09:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

this one is not accurate. i've gotten 25 mbps files to play...

---Mr. Met---

J-E-T-S-JETS JETS JETS!!!!!!! --- LETS GO DE-VILS!!!!!!! --- LETS GO METS!!!!!!! --- LETS GO NETS!!!!!!!
post #1014 of 3176 Old 12-21-2006, 11:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by talbain View Post

1) So when one person says the first gen is better and another says the second gen works fine with -R, should I assume the person who had problems with the second gen was using +R?

2) I thought all the posts about padding and keeping rates to 20Mbps were about playing on a MS player? Or, is this a +R verses -R issue as well.

Bottom line, if the media makes a difference -- which I can't see why it would -- then when folks post postive or negative results they need to post media type.
post #1015 of 3176 Old 12-22-2006, 01:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by talbain View Post

Yes, 1080i HDV footage is 25mbps. My Sony HC1 material plays just fine.

Joe Clark

post #1016 of 3176 Old 12-22-2006, 01:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I used Ulead DVD Movie Factory 5 Plus to encode some (uncompressed!) HD video (1080x1920 RGB) to 30Mb/s MPEG2 (the highest supported bitrate from what I've read here) and it played fine. This was also with LPCM audio (that's what I fed it, not sure what got authored to the HD-DVD file structure though. I might try that HD-DVD Demuxer posted a few posts back to see what actually got authored audio-wise.).

This was to single-layer red-laser DVD-R's by the way (Taiyo-Yuden).
post #1017 of 3176 Old 12-22-2006, 01:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobkart View Post

I used Ulead DVD Movie Factory 5 Plus to encode some (uncompressed!) HD video (1080x1920 RGB) to 30Mb/s MPEG2 (the highest supported bitrate from what I've read here) and it played fine.

This was to single-layer red-laser DVD-R's by the way (Taiyo-Yuden).

Which Toshiba?

Where on earth would you get Taiyo-Yuden?
post #1018 of 3176 Old 12-22-2006, 02:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Which Toshiba?

Sorry, it was the Toshiba HD-A1.

Quote:

Where on earth would you get Taiyo-Yuden?

http://www.supermediastore.com/taiyo...alue-line.html
post #1019 of 3176 Old 12-22-2006, 07:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Yes, no stuttering problems on the A1 or XA1, but yes on the A2 w/18mbps+ footage, including my Sony HC3 25mbps footage. Again, all play fine on the XA1 I now got.

post #1020 of 3176 Old 12-22-2006, 07:45 AM
AVS Special Member

that's strange about the A2. I'd like to know what changed.
Reply HD DVD Software

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page