post #61 of 130 Old 11-18-2006, 10:49 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post

I can't get it to work in my 360 either, though I do have the HD DVD player. I've tried:

Burning with Nero 6
Burning with IMGBurn

Playing in the HD DVD player - this gets me a black screen.

Same here...

I made a disc from the .iso and it works fine on my Toshiba HD-A1.

But the same disc won't play on my X360 HD-DVD.

I've got my x360 set up to stream .ts from MCE2005... it doesn't really like the test patterns, but will sometimes play them if you fast forward a few seconds into the each pattern.

However, I have been successful in burning these .ts test patterns by using the VideoRedo & Moviefactory5 & Nero7 method:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=705146

dr1394, do you have any objections to me hosting an iso of your 1080p patterns in a format that works on the X360 HD-DVD? I'm pretty sure it's lossless because the files aren't getting re-encoded by Videoredo nor MF5.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 130 Old 11-23-2006, 03:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarence View Post

dr1394, do you have any objections to me hosting an iso of your 1080p patterns in a format that works on the X360 HD-DVD? I'm pretty sure it's lossless because the files aren't getting re-encoded by Videoredo nor MF5.

No problemo.

Ron

HD MPEG-2 Test Patterns http://www.w6rz.net
post #63 of 130 Old 11-24-2006, 01:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 151
Cool,

Clarence, I'd love to try out your ISO if you post it.

See what an anamorphoscopic lens can do, see movies the way they were meant to be seen
post #64 of 130 Old 11-27-2006, 12:49 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr1394 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarence View Post

No problemo.

Ron

Cool. Thanks!

The test patterns worked fine with my Toshiba HD-A1, but the XBox360 HD-DVD drive is very finicky. Here's the best that I've been able to do so far for the X360...

In order to keep the image size reasonable, I did not include all of your test patterns. I selected these ten:
  • crosshatch
  • overscan crop
  • ramp
  • vert rez motion
  • vert rez 1080
  • vert pix 1
  • horz pix 1
  • burst 1920
  • IRE bars
  • phase0

I combined these patterns using videoredo. The XBox likes chapter marks much better than separate clips. So I inserted 1 second of blank black frames between the patterns, then inserted chapter marks between each of the patterns using Ulead MovieFactory5+.

In MF5, I selected "Do not convert compliant MPEG files" and MF5 created the image quickly, which is an indication that no re-encoding was done, so the quality of the test patterns should be true to your originals.

>>>>> Download this file: http://crtforum.com/img/HVDVD_TS.zip (58Mb)

In order to create a HDDVD (using the process from "The official AVS Guide to HD DVD Authoring") with these test patterns, use Nero7 with the following options:
- DVD-ROM (UDF)
- UDF Options: Enable XBox compatibility mode

post #65 of 130 Old 11-27-2006, 01:21 PM
AVS Club Gold

Just to give everyone an example of what the test patterns look like:

Thanks Ron for those test pattern clips.

I've also made another series of HDDVD test patterns from another source that works better for me, but it can't be distributed. I'm also looking forward to the Digital Video Essentials HD-DVD, but it keeps getting delayed.
post #66 of 130 Old 11-27-2006, 03:00 PM

Liked: 10
Just tried out your 360 zip Clarence, your instruction worked perfectly. Now I just have to figure out what it all means.... So far it appears that 1080i over component offers a little more detail over 1360x768 VGA on my Vizio P50HDM with the Xbox but also has a lot of overscan over component. I must run more tests....

Thanks!
post #67 of 130 Old 11-27-2006, 08:12 PM
Advanced Member

This worked for me too! But I had to log into xbox live and accept an update before the player world work well with the disk. Before the update, it would play but any navigation would cause it to freeze. After the update it seems fine. Thanks!
post #68 of 130 Old 11-30-2006, 07:23 PM
Advanced Member

dr1394 or someone who might know:

How could I create pattern's (DVD res.) to play in my DVD player. I have GetGrey but it only contains % values for its grayscale. I use (free) HCFR calibration soft. but it uses IRE values.

I have Photoshop. How do I go about this?
post #69 of 130 Old 12-13-2006, 02:06 PM

Thanks Clarence! I've been trying component vs. VGA on my 360; some random observations:

- Too much overscan w/ component (as MarkI mentioned), in my case on a Vizio L37 TV. Too much underscan on VGA (front porch on 360 VGA output too long, can't quite dial-in a screen-filling picture using the TV adjustments).

- Not much PQ difference between component and VGA (downscaling to 1366 by 768 pretty much turns all the high-frequency stuff to grey anyway).

- My display flickers briefly on some of the really high-freq patterns until it figures out how to scale/display it (?)

- Only one pattern in this set with color, but this particular screen seems to cope with the VGA output range fine; colors aren't washed out compared to component.

...Still waiting for DVE to ship, but Clarence's image is a useful stopgap...
post #70 of 130 Old 12-20-2006, 08:28 PM

Clarence, your instructions worked like a charm! MUCH thanks!

About the grayscale ramp (the one with two ramps on the screen), the darkest black bar seems to be clipped for me (below video black, ie below the bar with the 3 dots). White one is fine.

I'm outputting from 360 via component to my Optoma HD72 projector. Is this supposed to be happening?

Using strictly the video black bar (3 dots) to adjust black level yields a result that is *slightly* too dark. On HD Batman Begins, there are scenes were some details are crushed, like one of Alfred's coat buttons. I could up the brightness slightly by eye, but I would prefer to do it via test pattern.

I wonder if this ramp is really from video (and not HD standards) and thus doesn't account for HD's wider dynamic range.

Anyone care to comment?
post #71 of 130 Old 12-21-2006, 11:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDholic View Post

dr1394 or someone who might know:

How could I create pattern's (DVD res.) to play in my DVD player. I have GetGrey but it only contains % values for its grayscale. I use (free) HCFR calibration soft. but it uses IRE values.

I have Photoshop. How do I go about this?

Yes, a DVD player version would be great!!
post #72 of 130 Old 12-25-2006, 01:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Clarence, is there anyway you could try including the new Brightness/Contrast .TS pattern Ron created into your zip?

I think the inlcusion of this pattern would be very beneficial to the more less experienced calibration crowd like myself.

I was able to stream the file over using Windows MCE and HDTVpump... now my black/white levels are dead on, thanks to this pattern. And there was no perceivable way I could do this before as my 360 is connected via Component Video so I cannot upscale... and lock in the 720p on AVIA or GetGray.

The new .TS file is located here: http://www.w6rz.net/needlechopped.zip
post #73 of 130 Old 12-25-2006, 08:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Despite the warnings, I tried to do this with Nero 6SE (came with my burner). The HD-DVD plays in the drive, but behaves kinda weird. For example, info shows that it's counting down from -5:39. When it gets to the last test pattern if I hit chapter forward or search forward, it freezes up. When it gets to the last test pattern (w6rz4mt7.PNG above), it also freezes up, though I can still call up the Dashboard, but it won't take any playback commandes (stop, forward, or rewind/scan).

-- "No matter where you go, there you are."

SXRD/Denon/Polk/PS3/360/WiiU
Blu-ray bliss
SXRD Owner's Thread
PSN: Uxi

post #74 of 130 Old 12-26-2006, 12:04 PM

Anyone try this on an A2000? I haven't been able to successfully burn this yet to test, but curious if the A2000 is properly deinterlacing. I hear way to many conflicting reports.
post #75 of 130 Old 12-29-2006, 08:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Can someone please explain what I should be seeing on each test pattern please? In particular the bar pattern where I am supposed to be adjusting brightness and contrast level. Thank you.

post #76 of 130 Old 01-02-2007, 07:36 PM
Advanced Member

Is there a software that I could use to play these patterns on my PC??
post #77 of 130 Old 01-02-2007, 07:43 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by tattootearz View Post

Clarence, is there anyway you could try including the new Brightness/Contrast .TS pattern Ron created into your zip?

I think the inlcusion of this pattern would be very beneficial to the more less experienced calibration crowd like myself.

I was able to stream the file over using Windows MCE and HDTVpump... now my black/white levels are dead on, thanks to this pattern. And there was no perceivable way I could do this before as my 360 is connected via Component Video so I cannot upscale... and lock in the 720p on AVIA or GetGray.

It's been a while since I've checked-in on these threads.

Sure... I'll add the new B/C pattern tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDholic View Post

Is there a software that I could use to play these patterns on my PC??

Just download the .ts files and play them using the free VLC media player from http://videolan.org
post #78 of 130 Old 01-02-2007, 07:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 151
Well most any player (Windows Media Player) should be able to play dr1394's raw mpeg/ts files.

For the HD DVD version, you'll need PowerDVD 7 Ultra.

See what an anamorphoscopic lens can do, see movies the way they were meant to be seen
post #79 of 130 Old 01-02-2007, 07:47 PM
AVS Special Member

I burned the Xbox friendly pattern and played it on my HD-DVD add on.

All of the others can be played using your favourite media player. They all work for me using TT.
post #80 of 130 Old 01-03-2007, 08:30 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by tattootearz View Post

I'm unable to open that pattern in VideoReDo, thus I can't add it into the HDDVD.

I get the following error:
"Unable to open needlepulse.ts No PIDs specified when trying to open a transport stream."

If I try Quickstream Fix, I get "File is not an MPEG Program Stream".

But needlepulse.ts plays fine in VLC, so I don't know what the problem is.
post #81 of 130 Old 01-03-2007, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 16
My 42A10 is 720P native. So I would just set my set to accept 1080i (from my HD-DVD add on) in order to get these 1080i test patterns to work?

carry on with your HD-Lite Directv loving banter! <--Comedy Gold
Don't fall for the HDMI 1.3 Hype!
PSN = lovswr
XBOX Live = lovswr
post #82 of 130 Old 01-03-2007, 12:33 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovswr View Post

My 42A10 is 720P native. So I would just set my set to accept 1080i (from my HD-DVD add on) in order to get these 1080i test patterns to work?

You could, but since your RPTV is 720P, I'd try both 1080i and 720p from the XBox360 video settings and see which looks best.

The Brightness and Contrast adjustments should be helpful, regardless of the source resolution. And so should the overscan pattern. But don't expect too much on the single-pixel resolution patterns.
post #83 of 130 Old 01-10-2007, 08:50 PM
AVS Club Gold

Ron (dr1394),

1) do you have any insight as to the "Unable to open needlepulse.ts No PIDs specified when trying to open a transport stream" error that I'm getting from http://www.w6rz.net/needlechopped.zip ?

2) can you suggest a tool or process for converting this 1920x1080 .PNG test image (3.5Mb) into a .TS?

Thanks,
Clarence
post #84 of 130 Old 01-11-2007, 11:46 AM
AVS Club Gold

I noticed that MF5 has "insert photo" with transitions and music background. So I made a HD-DVD with a couple of 1920x1080 PNG test images that some forum member friends made...

Here's the zipped EVO folder if anyone wants to try it:
http://crtforum.com/img/HVDVD_TS-menu.zip (68 Mb)

Just unzip and drag the entire HVDVD_TS folder into Nero as shown above in my earlier post.
post #85 of 130 Old 01-11-2007, 12:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Almost enough to make you wish Universal would put some test patterns on the disc like Sony is doing with the BD. Coupled with my existing copy of DVE, I about have it dialed in. The weird behavior I'm getting from my 360 (as posted previously), has me not wanting to screw around with this as much (much less go to a new version of Nero).

When's that HD-DVD of DVE come out again?

-- "No matter where you go, there you are."

SXRD/Denon/Polk/PS3/360/WiiU
Blu-ray bliss
SXRD Owner's Thread
PSN: Uxi

post #86 of 130 Old 01-11-2007, 01:07 PM
Advanced Member

supposed to be the end of February unless they changed the release date again.

Samsung 60 F7500

Denon 3808CI

Sony BDP-S790 3D/Bluray

Harmony 900

post #87 of 130 Old 01-12-2007, 10:50 AM

After burning the HD-DVD IRE-Window test patterns and testing them, I'm wondering if they are accurate for HD-DVD calibration.

My system consists of a Brillian 6580iFB LCoS HDTV, Lumagen Vision ProHDP video processor, and XBOX-360 w/ HD-DVD option (plus PS3, Denon 3910, etc., etc.). Since the Lumagen gives much greater control over the calibration, and can output 1080p to the HDTV, I have the XBOX-360 HD-DVD output going into the Lumagen, which deinterlaces, and outputs the 1080p. A very nice feature of the Lumagen is the ability to read the IRE value of the frame buffer at the center of the screen. This information is invaluable for HDTV calibration.

On the calibration front, I own all of the necessary ISF calibration gear -- signal generator, colorimeter, and analysis software. It's not bottom-of-the-line junk, as this stuff cost more than my TV, Lumagen, Denon, PS3, and XBOX-360 combined. The XBOX-360 component input to the Lumagen is already calibrated with a perfectly flat grayscale and 2.4 gamma; but I want to calibrate to actual source material -- such as an HD-DVD calibration disc. This paragraph is really just background, and doesn't have any bearing on my actual question -- so keep that in mind.

Now, enter this thread, and the 1080 test patterns at w6rz.net. Since Clarence was kind enough to teach us how to create an HD-DVD disc suitable for XBOX-360, I used this exact method to create such a calibration disc using the w6rz.net IRE-Window test patterns. After following the disc creation procedures verbatim, I had a perfectly playable HD-DVD on the XBOX-360 HD-DVD player.

My first (and only) test was to compare these IRE-Window patterns with the values reported by Lumagen Video Processor. For reference purposes, the GetGray DVD measures absolutely perfect through the Lumagen in all windows from 0-100 IRE. I would expect these test patterns to yield similarly perfect results; but they didn't -- not even close.

Displaying the test patterns and using the Lumagen CTMP command to read the IRE Values at the center of the IRE Window showed values that were *FAR* off of the expected values. These are the values I read:

W6RZ / Measured
100 / 91
90 / 81.5
80 / 72.5
70 / 64.5
60 / 54
50 / 45
40 / 36.5
30 / 27
20 / 17.5
10 / 8
0 / 0

This is a near linear function of difference. So my question concerns how these IRE Window files were created, and whether or not they are accurate. Were they created with PC Levels, not Video Levels? I'm told by Lumagen, that difference could certainly explain the reading errors.

Any ideas?

PencilGeek AKQJTs
2006 WSOP Omaha Hi/Lo Tournament: 6th Place
Brillian Discrete IR Codes
post #88 of 130 Old 01-12-2007, 11:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Good report PencilGeek.

The other question is whether or not the 360 playback S/W is somehow messing with the levels.
post #89 of 130 Old 01-12-2007, 01:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvincent View Post

Good report PencilGeek.

The other question is whether or not the 360 playback S/W is somehow messing with the levels.

Or whether the software used to master the 360 version did something that the prior image (that works on the Toshiba player but apparently not on the 360) did not do. That is, some authoring methods end up additional an additional later of processing (such as the fact that the 24fps test patter got converted to 30 or 60fps, as I recall, by the authoring tool for the original disc image).

I wouldn't be surprised in either case.

Build Thread: "Nathan's Theater in Search of....".
post #90 of 130 Old 01-12-2007, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan_h View Post

Or whether the software used to master the 360 version did something that the prior image (that works on the Toshiba player but apparently not on the 360) did not do. That is, some authoring methods end up additional an additional later of processing (such as the fact that the 24fps test patter got converted to 30 or 60fps, as I recall, by the authoring tool for the original disc image).

I wouldn't be surprised in either case.

I'm pretty confident that the MovieFactory-5 didn't re-render the video because the entire process took one or two seconds. When rendering occurs, this time can take hours.

PencilGeek AKQJTs
2006 WSOP Omaha Hi/Lo Tournament: 6th Place
Brillian Discrete IR Codes
Reply HD DVD Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page