Studio news: New Line until 2007, 35+ more from Warner, 35 from Uni, 10 from Para. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #1 of 116 Old 08-07-2006, 07:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
http://homemediaretailing.com/

There is an article up, but here are the important points:

-tens of thousands of players have been sold
-35-50 more titles from Warner by the end of the year
-60 total titles from Universal by the end of the year
-up to 10 more titles from Paramount by the end of the year, including MI:3
-New Line will wait until 2007 and start with day-and-date new releases, and slowy trickle out catalog (including Blade and Seven)

quotes:

Quote:
Between HD DVD’s main backers, there will be as many as 150 HD DVD titles on store shelves by the end of the year. Warner, which has 21 titles already out, will release anywhere from 35 to 50 additional titles, according to Nickerson.

Universal, which is only supporting HD DVD, will have a 60-title slate by the fourth quarter, said Ken Graffeo, EVP of USHE.

Paramount, which is backing both HD DVD and its rival format, Blu-ray Disc, currently has seven HD DVD titles available, with three more streeting Aug. 8.

“We’ll probably double that by year’s end,†said Alex Carloss, EVP of worldwide marketing and entertainment for Paramount. That will include a HD DVD edition of Mission: Impossible III with a wealth of bonus features, Carloss said.

New Line, another dual-format supporter, has yet to announce specific releases, and likely won’t until studios see how well the fourth quarter plays out, according to Matt Lasorsa, EVP of marketing.

“It will be as early in 2007 as possible,†Lasorsa said. “We don’t have the depth or breadth of the other studios, so we want to wait until there’s more player penetration.â€
yeah, sounds like New Line is gonna start with new releases, and build into standard catalog fare... my guess is no LOTR until around Sept.-Nov. of next year...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 116 Old 08-07-2006, 07:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Pardon my french but Paramount can kiss my white ass. What the hell is this!??!

New Line, after reading the article, I'll relax on...as long as they don't screw up Se7en.

But 3 cheers to WB and Universal. They have seriously stepped up to the plate.

"I have never seen it, but by all accounts it is terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built, and it is terrific." - Michael Caine, on Jaws the Revenge
post #3 of 116 Old 08-07-2006, 07:46 PM
Advanced Member

Up to 10 more by the end of the year?

What are they?...... A bunch of ******* afraid of the PS3?

Paramount needs to get their head in the game and really start supporting this format.

Only a few more months until the holiday season and they pull some crap like this.

360/ PS3 GamerTag : DVDVampire

HD-DVD: 181
Blu-Ray: 70
post #4 of 116 Old 08-07-2006, 07:56 PM
Advanced Member

So I wonder if this rules out Black Rain on HD by the end of the year?

360/ PS3 GamerTag : DVDVampire

HD-DVD: 181
Blu-Ray: 70
post #5 of 116 Old 08-07-2006, 07:56 PM
Advanced Member

So much for LOTR for the Holidays ....
post #6 of 116 Old 08-07-2006, 07:58 PM
AVS Special Member

This all translates to : we will see how Blu-Ray(PS3) does before we commit fully to HD DVD.

DigitalfreakNYC "But 3 cheers to WB and Universal. They have seriously stepped up to the plate".

I Very much Agree!
post #7 of 116 Old 08-07-2006, 08:18 PM

Very interesting article. It's also interesting how they referred to the HD-DVD launch as a "soft launch." This implies there's going to be a "full launch" - seems like it'll be fueled with the $150m the backers have ponied-up.

These statements are the most interesting to me:
Quote:
“We’re still projecting Q4 to be a very vibrant business for hardware and software,†said Steve Nickerson, SVP of WHV. “There are as many consumer electronics HD DVD players in the market as there were standard-definition DVD players at the end of 1997.â€
Quote:
So far, backers are judging the success of HD DVD’s “soft launch†— now four months in — by consumer reaction more than by return on investment, panelists said.
Quote:
The hardware adoption is about as expected, Graffeo said. But the reaction, appreciation and approval studios are hearing from key consumers is better than expected.

“They really do see the difference,†Graffeo said. “That’s what’s exceeded our expectations.â€
Looks like the studios are hearing all of us HD-DVD backers. :D

My blog: Koolio - Thoughts and news on technology
post #8 of 116 Old 08-07-2006, 08:25 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
I am glad to see that there will be a bunch of titles coming, but yeah, Paramount can eat my ***, ****, *****, and go **** themselves. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

No LOTR in 2006 makes me sad, too.

However I hold plenty of hope for Batman this year! :D

Play nice. It's just an online forum :)
post #9 of 116 Old 08-07-2006, 08:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 282
For all of the doubter from the other threads:

My post from weeks ago...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmMixer
Warners and New Line are not the same... each maintains it's own home video division.. as I have stated elsewhere, I spoke to one of the Senior VP's of NLHV a couple of weeks ago, and they are uncommitteed to either format at this time... It looks like Q1 2007 at the earliest for titles from them...
I told ya so :)
post #10 of 116 Old 08-07-2006, 08:28 PM

Yeah, no LOTR is a big drawback for HD-DVD this Holiday...those movies probably would generate a lot more HD-DVD player sales during the Holidays.

My blog: Koolio - Thoughts and news on technology
post #11 of 116 Old 08-07-2006, 08:33 PM

If Universal gives me Kong '05 (Theatrical or EE), they can not put out any releases for a year for all I care! :D

...(just kidding, but please just give me my Kong! :o )

Dual Supporter as of January 4, 2007!
Feels so nice...
post #12 of 116 Old 08-07-2006, 08:34 PM
Advanced Member

You've still got Batman, the Matrix, and the Harry Potter series to look forward to and those are all big sellers. As a matter of fact, I believe Goblet of Fire holds some sales records for DVD

I love this stuff!
post #13 of 116 Old 08-07-2006, 08:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by timfrommass
You've still got Batman, the Matrix, and the Harry Potter series to look forward to and those are all big sellers. As a matter of fact, I believe Goblet of Fire holds some sales records for DVD
Absolutely. I hope Warner throws out all of the Harry Potter movies though.

At least we will be getting more titles within the first year of launch than D-VHS did during it's entire run. That plus after the holidays we can look forward to New Line's Hd-dvd launch. :D
post #14 of 116 Old 08-07-2006, 08:41 PM
AVS Special Member

It's too bad Paramount won't be releasing more this year, but at least they are giving us some and what I have seen so far I like a lot.

As for Universal and Warner, awesome and I look forward to future releases.

New Line would be nice, gotta have my Blade(s) and Se7en along with many others.

I'd like to see Disney hop on board too.

Brad

Blu-ray and HD DVD supporter.
post #15 of 116 Old 08-07-2006, 08:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Well, I'm glad to see these studios finally stepping up. The pace of releases thus far has been so slow I've been thinking about giving the Samsung another day in court. :eek:
post #16 of 116 Old 08-07-2006, 09:06 PM

60 exclusive titles by the end of the year (Universal's titles). I wonder how many Blu-Ray exclusives there will be by that time? It could end up being close but right now it looks like HD DVD will end the year with the most exclusives. It shall be interesting...
post #17 of 116 Old 08-07-2006, 09:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Between HD DVD’s main backers, there will be as many as 150 HD DVD titles on store shelves by the end of the year. Warner, which has 21 titles already out, will release anywhere from 35 to 50 additional titles, according to Nickerson.
Interesting seeing an estimate with such a varying range of future titles available. I'll take this as confirmation of the rumors of a bottleneck somewhere in the production pipeline. I guess the next questions are how many of these titles will also be on BD and what codec will they use on BD.

Quote:
Universal, which is only supporting HD DVD, will have a 60-title slate by the fourth quarter, said Ken Graffeo, EVP of USHE.
This is great news. I hope with that number of titles, they can keep the quality up where it should be.

Quote:
Paramount, which is backing both HD DVD and its rival format, Blu-ray Disc, currently has seven HD DVD titles available, with three more streeting Aug. 8.

“We’ll probably double that by year’s end,†said Alex Carloss, EVP of worldwide marketing and entertainment for Paramount. That will include a HD DVD edition of Mission: Impossible III with a wealth of bonus features, Carloss said.
I posted this before and I will post it again. Paramount is a follower and not a leader. They have a good catalog too, so this is a shame (or a sham, take your pick). :)

Quote:
New Line, another dual-format supporter, has yet to announce specific releases, and likely won’t until studios see how well the fourth quarter plays out, according to Matt Lasorsa, EVP of marketing.

“It will be as early in 2007 as possible,†Lasorsa said. “We don’t have the depth or breadth of the other studios, so we want to wait until there’s more player penetration.â€
I know it was expected, but unless I missed something this is the first confirmation of New Line being a dual format supporter.

Unfortunately, in this clip of the article (I didn't read the whole thing), there is still nothing about any NEW studio support. I suspect that revisions to release plans/commitments may be made once the 4Q2006 "barrage" from both camps settles out early next year.
post #18 of 116 Old 08-07-2006, 09:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Basically, trickled in crap till 2007. I think my support just went downhill. I'll likely be renting till 2007 and seeing how it all shakes out for the most part.

Paramount is a joke at this point. Q4 of this year was important but doesn't look like HD DVD will capitalize on it from a content perspective. Looks like Paramount will wait for the PS3 and release dual media. They might as well take off the New Line titles off lookandsoundofperfect.

The "soon released" titles on there should be indicative of some timelines (by end of year in this case) and not used as consumer bait.

I'm hoping that by Q4 this will all be revised but if true, it's a pretty weak push into the holidays.
post #19 of 116 Old 08-07-2006, 09:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonyAteMyBaby
60 exclusive titles by the end of the year (Universal's titles). I wonder how many Blu-Ray exclusives there will be by that time? It could end up being close but right now it looks like HD DVD will end the year with the most exclusives. It shall be interesting...
Well the last I hear HD-DVD was expected to have 2x the number of titls out as BD by the end of the year. I haven't heard anything to change that, so I'm expecting things to continue to be pretty one sided for at least the rest of this year.
post #20 of 116 Old 08-07-2006, 09:13 PM
Advanced Member

Yay for Universal and Warner! As for Paramount....just ugh.
post #21 of 116 Old 08-07-2006, 09:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Does Universal Studios have 60 films that are worth watching?

Hell, 3 of those are Fast and the Furious movies.
post #22 of 116 Old 08-07-2006, 09:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bferr1
Well, I'm glad to see these studios finally stepping up. The pace of releases thus far has been so slow I've been thinking about giving the Samsung another day in court. :eek:
I keep reviewing the Samsung every time I walk by it in BB. Every time I do, I see it's still not fit to be released. :D
post #23 of 116 Old 08-07-2006, 09:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertR1
Basically, trickled in crap till 2007.
I would love to see more too, but to be perfectly honest, there will be plenty of quality titles on HD by years end...enough to hurt in the pocket book (well, mine anyway). and some great movies to boot.

I think I'll be pretty satisfied when 2006 comes to a close.
2007 is where things start to get interesting...
post #24 of 116 Old 08-07-2006, 09:23 PM - Thread Starter

quote from tomorrow's CED:

Quote:
WHV will have a mix of catalog, new movies, day-and-date releases of HD DVD and standard DVD and combo discs providing HD DVD on one side, standard DVD on the other. WHV is planning for as many day-and-date releases as possible, he said. At Universal, 60 HD DVD titles are expected by year-end, said Exec. Vp Ken Graffeo. Some will be day-and-date with standard DVD, others will be on combo discs, he said. HD DVD release of King Kong will be among Universal's key stories this Q4, he said, but he wouldn't give a specific street date.
post #25 of 116 Old 08-07-2006, 09:26 PM
Advanced Member

Yeah all 4 Harry Potter movies and 3 Matrix movies would be a big plus

I love this stuff!
post #26 of 116 Old 08-07-2006, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakesh.S
The trick is, different people like different movies. It's impossible to make a movie that EVERYONE likes, so you put out a number of different ones. No one will like all sixty, but every one of those sixty will be liked by someone.
post #27 of 116 Old 08-07-2006, 10:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakesh.S

Hell, 3 of those are Fast and the Furious movies.
Here is a quote from Robert Crawford over at Home Theater forums.
"FYI, Warner and Universal have the two biggest slices of the home video market based on dollars spent followed by Disney."

I believe there are 60 good movies in there somewhere. :)
post #28 of 116 Old 08-07-2006, 10:09 PM
AVS Special Member

This one caught my attention:

said Steve Nickerson, SVP of WHV
“There are as many consumer electronics HD DVD players in the market as there were standard-definition DVD players at the end of 1997.â€
post #29 of 116 Old 08-07-2006, 10:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by b.greenway
This one caught my attention:

said Steve Nickerson, SVP of WHV
“There are as many consumer electronics HD DVD players in the market as there were standard-definition DVD players at the end of 1997.â€
Anyone know how many DVD players were sold by the end of 1997?

OK I found this reference to DVD sales for the first year 1997.
"Tina Tuccillo, vice president of marketing communications for Toshiba, says the company expects to sell 30,000 HD-DVD players in the first three months after they ship. For comparison, note that by the end of 1997 (the year that DVD first appeared) an estimated 200,000 players were sold--but there wasn't a format war back then." FYI http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,12...y/article.html

So if that dudes statement is true there are 200k HD DVD players sold so far wtf. :)
post #30 of 116 Old 08-07-2006, 10:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Couple of things come to mind, he says in the market, several ways you can take that. But seeing as he’s the senior vice president of warner home video, I have to believe he has access to both sets of numbers, so yeah wtf.

Personally I don’t think they’ve sold that many but then again you have to consider the source, it didn’t come from an HD DVD exclusive studio so why would he feel inclined to inflate the numbers.
Closed Thread HD DVD Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page