Anyone Seen The Adventures of Robin Hood Yet? - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 114 Old 10-08-2006, 05:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
i agree too. it simply looks amazing. just amazes me this movies is from 1938. now i just hope captain blood will be released as well. both those movies are my most favourite errel flyn movies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 114 Old 10-08-2006, 05:59 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlsmith View Post

How does it compare to the excellent Warners DVD?

Superior in every way. Saw it on a 96 inch screen. It was wonderful. Worth the price of the HD DVD player to see it like this.

Watching it like this you could really see the screen presence of Errol Flynn and the beauty of Olivia de Havilland. This was really the first time you see the sparkle and twinkle in their eyes and their emotions came through.

I really is quite a different, more entertaining movie in HD DVD. Little things like the smoke rising from the torches in the castle scenes or the sunlight gleaming off the guards steel helmets along with the vibrant colors were a joy.

This is what I wanted HD to be.

"A lot of good arguments are spoiled by some fool who knows what he is talking about." - Miguel de Unamuno

follow me on Twitter
post #93 of 114 Old 10-08-2006, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bboisvert View Post

I personally think it is one of the best movies ever made -- a real joy to watch. It reallly holds up very well today and is loads of fun. I was honestly a bit surprised that it wasn't included in the AFI 100 list. I suppose there were just so many great flims that were released in 1938-39, that they wanted to spread it around a bit.

I believe it was #101.
post #94 of 114 Old 10-13-2006, 11:18 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Is the sound on this title bad? I saw it and immediately saw T3 and the sound was pretty bad compared with T3. I know that it's only one channel, but another one channel title, The Searchers, sounded MUCH better. What do you think?

HD-A1 + XBOX Add-On + PS3 = Format Neutral
post #95 of 114 Old 10-13-2006, 07:13 PM
AVS Special Member

ROBIN HOOD has always had a brittle soundtrack. Most films from the thirties sound like this(or worse!). By the time THE SEARCHERS was released, great strides had been made in film soundtracks.
post #96 of 114 Old 10-13-2006, 09:01 PM
Advanced Member

This film has just blown me away. It's a joy in its purest form. As Kosty says, this is indeed what I wanted HD to be.

Cheers,
Paul Cordingley
post #97 of 114 Old 10-15-2006, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangSVT View Post

How good is the movie itself? When I get my 360 add-on, I'd like to eventually (in the next few months) pick up The Searchers and this (Robin Hood) to show off to my friends how a movie from the 60s and one from the 30s can look on HD-DVD, maybe then they'll believe that HD is truly superior.

The Searchers is one of the great movies of all time, and quite possibly the greatest western. (It was released in 1956, BTW, not in the '60s.)
post #98 of 114 Old 10-17-2006, 08:18 AM

Liked: 14
I just saw this film for the first time ever, hard to believe I've never seen it before. It blew me away. Great film, fabulous picture, and the best extras I've ever seen on any type of disc. Usually extras bore me to tears, but these were fascinating. Great job on this one!
post #99 of 114 Old 10-23-2006, 01:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Warner hit this one out of the ballpark. I saw the first ten minutes of it and I could not be more pleased. I grew up in the TV era of old movie repeats that seems way too blurry to remember this movie fondly. Now, I can see that Errol has gaps between his upper front left teeth. Wow...just wow. I will watch this complete soon.
post #100 of 114 Old 10-26-2006, 11:44 AM
Advanced Member

I wanna see Universal get on the Classic bandwagon w/ Psycho and Rear Window and some titles from their legacy collection like To Kill a Mockingbird.

a big chunk of my HD-DVD collection consists of classic Warner remasters. Universal have got some great films too
post #101 of 114 Old 12-12-2006, 02:10 AM

I just watched Robin Hood, and while the picture was terrific, the audio seemed slightly late on my HD-A1. Anyone else have this problem?
post #102 of 114 Old 12-12-2006, 05:03 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I watched Robin Hood early last week. I was simply amazed at the colors and the textures of the costumes. The audio sounded a bit dated, but that what is expected from a film this old. I really enjoyed it.
post #103 of 114 Old 12-12-2006, 05:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD-DVDwonder View Post

I wanna see Universal get on the Classic bandwagon w/ Psycho and Rear Window and some titles from their legacy collection like To Kill a Mockingbird.

a big chunk of my HD-DVD collection consists of classic Warner remasters. Universal have got some great films too

They're releasing The Sting and The Deer Hunter soon. Both of those were Legacy Collection DVDs. I wouldn't be surprised if To Kill a Mockingbird followed shortly thereafter.
post #104 of 114 Old 12-13-2006, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedra12 View Post

I watched Robin Hood early last week. I was simply amazed at the colors and the textures of the costumes. The audio sounded a bit dated, but that what is expected from a film this old. I really enjoyed it.

Sorry, I mean to say the audio seemed a little out-of-sync, a few frames later than the video to be exact. Not dated, which I could understand
post #105 of 114 Old 12-13-2006, 11:12 AM
Advanced Member

there's been enough praise of the film lol(spectacular) -- but the extras, what a great presentation from Warner!
post #106 of 114 Old 12-13-2006, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yates View Post

Sorry, I mean to say the audio seemed a little out-of-sync, a few frames later than the video to be exact. Not dated, which I could understand

I agree. It was ever so slightly off from the person speaking. At first I thought my A1 was acting up, but pausing it or restating the machine didnt fix it.
post #107 of 114 Old 12-14-2006, 08:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 76
I finally watched Robin last night on my new A2.
I'll echo what's been posted dozens of times here now.. WOW! Warners really out-did themselves with the restoration on this classic. The colors seemed deeper and more brilliant than on some current films. Unbelievable that it's almost 70 years old!
Olivia de Havilland stole every scene she was in. She's got to be one of the most beautiful (and classy) women ever on film!
Thank you Warner Bros.

"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure...."

post #108 of 114 Old 01-23-2007, 10:40 AM

When I try to access the still image galleries of historical art, costumes, etc. the disc goes to the gallery for only ten seconds. I can press the right arrow key on the A2 and it goes to the next picture, but after ten seconds it goes back to the main menu. Has anyone else had this problem and is there a fix?

- Danny
post #109 of 114 Old 01-24-2007, 12:21 AM
AVS Special Member

The Adventures of Robin Hood - Screenshots (includes animated extra features):

International HDDVD Screenshot Archive (Full 1080p Images): www.hdmovies.co.nz
post #110 of 114 Old 09-22-2007, 07:39 PM
Advanced Member

WOW - I know this is an old thread.. but I have to say 'WOW' again for a movie that was released 69 years ago...
I purchased this when Amazon had their 'Buy 2 get 1 free' promotion a few weeks ago.. and already owned all but two of the moives that I wanted from that promotions listing.. so I choose the oldest movie from the list just to see why Warner was releasing such an old movie..
I had the movie and tried to get my wife to sit down and watch it with me and could not get her to sit down for this moive for what seemed like the longest time... After the movie got started she got mad at me for not pausing the moive when she had to leave the room.... which never happens with most moives we watch!! Had to reverse to the point when she left the room. With the new TV season starting I just hope to have time to watch all the features over the next few weeks... Everybody talks about the 'P's & 'Q's this is now one of my top three moives...
Batman: Begins
The Chronicles of Riddick
The Adventures of Robin Hood
But it seems that many here don't like it and only give it a 3.1 rating??
And I own over 50 HD-DVD's, all of the top five 'PQ' (whith two of the top five I have to go '"HU?"'! why are they on the list?) 12 of the 4.6 group, 12 of the 4.0 group.. then the rest fall else where in the listing!

I feel that 'The Adventures of Robin Hood' needs to be looked at again!

--David
post #111 of 114 Old 09-23-2007, 08:41 AM

I bought this some time ago. It is my favorite Errol Flynn movie. I remember being floored by how the film looked on the original videotape years ago. After years of seeing badly faded prints on tv I was astounded by the color. The HD DVD is miles ahead of that experience. This is a movie that can be watched repeatedly. Bring on The Sea Hawk, The Adventures of Don Juan, Virginia City and the rest of the Flynn films.

Gary
post #112 of 114 Old 05-11-2010, 11:21 AM

I am not sure if somebody will read this, on a thread from a couple of years ago, but I've just got this movie, and there seemsa to be a glitch in the Technicolor featurette. Just 15 seconds into it (0:00:15), the image gets pixelated for a split second, accompanied by a rasping sound.

It is just my copy, or the whole press run? Should I get another copy, or it's no use bothering?
post #113 of 114 Old 05-14-2010, 05:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy Batty View Post

I am not sure if somebody will read this, on a thread from a couple of years ago, but I've just got this movie, and there seemsa to be a glitch in the Technicolor featurette. Just 15 seconds into it (0:00:15), the image gets pixelated for a split second, accompanied by a rasping sound.

It is just my copy, or the whole press run? Should I get another copy, or it's no use bothering?

Does the featurette stop playing entirely or just for a second or two? If it stops playing entirely did you try washing the disc? That fixes a lot of problems.

If it just breaks up for a second or so and continues playing, I think you should calm down and enjoy the show!
post #114 of 114 Old 05-14-2010, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ti-triodes View Post

Does the featurette stop playing entirely or just for a second or two? If it stops playing entirely did you try washing the disc? That fixes a lot of problems.

If it just breaks up for a second or so and continues playing, I think you should calm down and enjoy the show!

No, it does not stop, it keeps playng, just with that annoyng but certainly minor glitch.

Apparently, it traces back to the DVD edition, so it comes from the master and affects the whole run.
Reply HD DVD Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page