Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 641 Old 01-02-2007, 07:22 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Hi All...

Just posting number is just fine if you care to keep count for some reason. (Not really sure why actually other than "my collection is bigger than yours".)

But this issues is that if someone comes to the site and wants information on a given movie title and they enter it into a search, that title is that found X number of times in this thread alone and thus not really giving any real help to the person when they find 60 posts with the movie in it that is just part of someones list.

As the list continued to grow, we received more e-mail about it. Up until now we had not done anything for, well, you guy were just having some fun. But not that we were asked to help moderate the thread removing posts that are not welcomed, well, it came time to make mentioned. It would just get worse as it continued as you know for more and more titles are released all the time.

THIS IS NOT AN HD DVD vs BLU-RAY THING. DO NOT EVEN GO THAT DIRECTION.

To me, I really actually do not see the use of such a thread for what does it really help with or do? But maybe that is just me. I mean, their are sites that you can keep your collection on. AVS is not really here for that if that was the intent.

Thanks

Oh..."why not just let the mods delete the movie listings and leave the stats summary" Because it would take a great deal of time to edit all the posts to remove the titles. I really do not think all the people are still active in the thread that would then come back end edit out their titles from their posts. If so, GREAT, keep the numbers. But I do not see that as actually going to happen. Try it...Edit the first post asking people to remove the titles and just keep the number. Again, not sure to what end the thread is for.

David Bott
Founder - AVSForum

DISCLAIMER: All spelling and grammatical errors done on purpose for the proofreadingly challenged...:)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 641 Old 01-02-2007, 07:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
dave, deleting it is fine ... it is ultimately up to you and to some extent Tom...
post #183 of 641 Old 01-02-2007, 07:34 AM
AVS Special Member

David,

You make a valid point. I have removed the title list from my post. Hope others choose to do the same.

--Jerome
post #184 of 641 Old 01-02-2007, 08:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Thanks Dave:

I used the search feature on a couple of title names and only see this thread listed once for each search but I respectfully understand and will follow anything the staff says.

I do agree that many of the posters may not be active to come clean up there threads but there are a good percentage of people that I always see updating there lists collection too.

I understand that you don't see the point of the thread so I'm willing to let it die if that's what you want, I certainly don't wish to cause any problems. I am also willing to do the work if everyone would like it to continue and does find the info beneficial.

Just to show my own opinion of where I think this thread is helpful though and hope then that you may better understand it.

First I thought it was great if for nothing else just to show attach rates of AVS members and the new hidef format. Its often stated from different sources what the attach rates between the two formats maybe for each format and how it compares to the attach rates of AVS members.

Second it does show spikes and purchasing habits of what is announced compared to what people have on pre-order such as right now there are about 14 titles announced for future release but there certainly is a decline being shown of how many titles everyone has on pre-order which is drastically different then the amount of titles everyone previously had on pre-order a month or two ago.

Third I did find it interesting to be able to look through other members listings and see what types of movies they purchased all in one place rather then clicking on separate links for each of the members. Example seeing if more people are purchasing titles from one studio of any of the other studios.

Last for me is a smaller issue but I have had people look at my list and see movies I had and did not have and asked to trade movies. I have traded several so far and thought it was great being able to do this with fellow AVS HD DVD members.

I have had no interest in the my list is bigger then yours', I probably own about half the amount of titles compared to some of the members here but I do find it interesting to see that other members are that impressed with HD DVD to have such large collections. If a similar thread was running in the Blu-Ray forum I would be equally interested in comparing the two formats to see if there are any differences in purchasing habits.

As already stated I will respect and abide by anything the staff decides is best for the site.
post #185 of 641 Old 01-02-2007, 08:16 AM

Total HD DVDs Owned : 103
Total on Pre-Order: 6

Dual-format owner (HD-A1, 360 Add-On, Sammy BD-P1000, PS3), HD-DVD supporter
post #186 of 641 Old 01-02-2007, 12:16 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 902 Post(s)
Liked: 808
I actually used this list as a way to keep track of all my HD DVD preorders and purchases. If there was one in the BD forum that would have helped me too since I have purchased alot of those lately.

I have now removed my list and just kept the pertinent info.

40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #187 of 641 Old 01-02-2007, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsHT View Post

I have been informed that there has been complaints that this threads multiple listings of movie titles is interfering with other members searches. I apologize to the AVS staff and any members of AVS who this may have affected.

How about people stop using the idiotic quick search, hit the advanced search instead and change it to Search Topic Titles only and not every single frickin post on the entire forum.

Sheesh.
post #188 of 641 Old 01-02-2007, 08:15 PM

Where do you people find all the money for all these HD DVD's?

I mean 100 disc at $25 is $2500!!!

That is a bit of scratch!!!!!!!!!!!

Congrats though, I wish I have that kind of library.
post #189 of 641 Old 01-02-2007, 08:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MORPHIII View Post

I mean 100 disc at $25 is $2500!!!

That is a bit of scratch!!!!!!!!!!!

Congrats though, I wish I have that kind of library.

They're not that bad online. You can get many catalog titles for $18 at Amazon with the free shipping option (or Amazon Prime) and the 10% discount.

Others have come from MJ Entertainment, who has had some titles for $14-15.

Also, there was the recent Google Checkout deal with Buy. With $20 off $50 orders, you could get them for as low as about $13-14 each, and even a new release and/or combo title would only cost you $16-17 when paired with a catalog title ($32-33 for both). I was able to get the MI set for under $45 with the deal.
post #190 of 641 Old 01-02-2007, 08:46 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 902 Post(s)
Liked: 808
Even at $18 it's a good chunk of change. Part of my money came from the $1000 Samsung that I bought in June and returned two weeks later. I decided to spend all that money on HD DVDs. I also had only purchased a handful of DVDs in the last 3 years so I hadn't really spent much money on discs. I've definitely gone overboard, especially with the Amazon discount. I will have to curb my purchases before the 10% discount ends.

40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #191 of 641 Old 01-03-2007, 05:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MORPHIII View Post

I mean 100 disc at $25 is $2500!!! That is a bit of scratch!!!!!!!!!!! Congrats though, I wish I have that kind of library.

I usually order 8-10 movies per month which does come out to about $200 per month through Amazon. Looking at the total I've spent over 6-7 months does make it look worse.

As a family we used to go to the movies 1-2 times per month (4 people) which also costs almost the same considering driving, tickets, snacks etc...

With the recent addition of our own dedicated HT room we now get to enjoy watching movies together several times per week, every week. Plus we get to actually keep the movies to re-watch anytime we want.

I looking at it as swapping one expense for another but we make out better then we used to, we get to see more movies now plus have the asset of actually getting to keep the movies
post #192 of 641 Old 01-03-2007, 06:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsHT View Post

I usually order 8-10 movies per month which does come out to about $200 per month through Amazon. Looking at the total I've spent over 6-7 months does make it look worse.

As a family we used to go to the movies 1-2 times per month (4 people) which also costs almost the same considering driving, tickets, snacks etc...

With the recent addition of our own dedicated HT room we now get to enjoy watching movies together several times per week, every week. Plus we get to actually keep the movies to re-watch anytime we want.

I looking at it as swapping one expense for another but we make out better then we used to, we get to see more movies now plus have the asset of actually getting to keep the movies

100% ditto that. Couple of movies a week, and in return we hardly EVER go to the theater anymore, now that our HT room is up.

-Josh Murrah
post #193 of 641 Old 01-03-2007, 08:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Yeah I justify spending more since having the 1080p print is very appealing to me. Great on my 720p projector, will only get better when I upgrade to 1080p, when I upgrade my audio etc. I haven't payed money for a DVD in years, but I've dropped $350 on HD-DVDs in short order, and would continue to do so if January/Feb. releases weren't so lackluster.
post #194 of 641 Old 01-03-2007, 08:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Total HD DVDs Owned: 38
Total on Pre-Order: 1

I deleted my earlier post -- so I only have one in this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Bott View Post

(Not really sure why actually other than "my collection is bigger than yours".)

But this issues is that if someone comes to the site and wants information on a given movie title and they enter it into a search, that title is that found X number of times in this thread alone and thus not really giving any real help to the person when they find 60 posts with the movie in it that is just part of someones list. .

1. The why is to get a feel for AVS user attach rates and also for how many acquire most/all of the HD DVD titles. Possible good for some market research statistics (slanted by users being AVS forum members ).

2. Not sure what "Search" has a problem with the thread just showing up once per search. The thread title will give the searcher an idea if it is worthwhile to dive into that thread for a movie review -- not!

I think that Tom should edit the OP and ask users to delete the title names. Please leave the thread around. Suppose it could be locked and end up in the AVS archive. That is better than deleting it.
post #195 of 641 Old 01-03-2007, 10:36 AM

Total HD DVDs owned: 117
Total on pre-order: 10

Combined total: 127
post #196 of 641 Old 01-03-2007, 12:41 PM

Total HD DVDs owned:33
Total on pre-order:16
Combined:49
rather a list(that keeps growing every week)i took some pictures...

post #197 of 641 Old 01-03-2007, 03:19 PM

Total HD-DVDs owned : 201
Total on pre-order : 7

combined total : 208

This is a mix of European, US and japanese releases
post #198 of 641 Old 01-03-2007, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thierry Delage View Post

Total HD-DVDs owned : 201
Total on pre-order : 7

combined total : 208

This is a mix of European, US and japanese releases

Wow, 201, guess you got all of us beat by a long shot.
post #199 of 641 Old 01-06-2007, 09:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Bump

Be a fan of displays, not companies or technologies!
post #200 of 641 Old 01-10-2007, 01:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Total HD DVDs Owned:46
Total on Pre-Order: 9

Combined Total: 55
post #201 of 641 Old 01-10-2007, 02:33 PM
Advanced Member

1) 4
2) 1
post #202 of 641 Old 01-10-2007, 03:09 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Total Owned:10
Total:Pre-ordered: 0
post #203 of 641 Old 01-11-2007, 12:20 AM

Blu-ray
X-men The Las Stand
Talledega Nights

HD-DVD
Friday Night Lights
Superman Retuns
King Kong
post #204 of 641 Old 01-11-2007, 12:43 AM
Advanced Member

Total HD-DVD's 8
On pre-order: 1

My HD-DVD collection:

1. Apollo 13
2. We were Soldiers
3. Full Metal Jacket
4. Batman Begins
5. V for Vendetta
6. Mission impossible 1
7. Mission impossible 2
8. Mission impossible 3
9. Children of men (pre-order!)

My list is small but so is my budget lol.
post #205 of 641 Old 01-14-2007, 04:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 259
Total HD DVDs Owned: 30
Total on Pre-Order: 0

Combined Total: 30

PSN ID: RollTide1017
post #206 of 641 Old 01-20-2007, 11:28 AM
AVS Special Member

---Post last updated on 7/27/07---

Total HD DVDs Owned: 0

Just wanted to let everybody know that my list of some 40 titles has been deleted as I "got out of the war" by selling all my HD DVD stuff Febuary '07.

I waited patiently to see what would happen while missing HD media but getting by with anime/Asian films/portable players etc and recently in early July, I got "back in the war" to be Blu-ray exclusive. The announcement of Blockbuster Video Blu-ray expansion, the gaining momentum of BD overall, the exclusive BD studio titles I wanted to own, and the fact that I found a used 20GB JPN PS3 online for about $270 were the motivating factors.

I will now only buy Blu-ray movies exclusively, at least 3 or 4 titles a month continuosly - until BD has won or there is some other drastic change to the nature of the war.

Thank you.
post #207 of 641 Old 01-20-2007, 01:33 PM
Advanced Member

Total HD DVDs Owned : 32
Total on Pre-Order: 0

DVD Profiler Collection
post #208 of 641 Old 01-20-2007, 02:49 PM

I buy movies based on their quality, not the quality of the picture, so my collection is (so far) a lot small than most people's. Anyway:
Training Day
Full Metal Jacket
Out of Sight
King Kong
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas

I will also soon have Running Scared, Clerks II, and Brotherhood of the Wolf.
post #209 of 641 Old 01-20-2007, 10:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShishidoJo View Post

I buy movies based on their quality, not the quality of the picture, so my collection is (so far) a lot small than most people's. Anyway:
Training Day
Full Metal Jacket
Out of Sight
King Kong
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas

I will also soon have Running Scared, Clerks II, and Brotherhood of the Wolf.

Yes I do the same thing as you. I can't afford just to buy movies to see how they work. I have Netflix for that. I have the first 4 on that list and while full Metal jacket does not have an amazing PQ it's still a good movie.
post #210 of 641 Old 01-20-2007, 11:09 PM

Total HD-DVD's Owned: 16
Total on Preorder: 0 (at the moment)

The List

The Bourne Identity
The Fast & The Furious: Tokyo Drift
Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas
Full Metal Jacket