Big News: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire to hit HD-DVD on... - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 75 Old 02-02-2007, 12:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

The movie was shot in two different versions where the characters alternately say "Sorcerer's Stone" (for the US release) or "Philosopher's Stone" (for every other country in the world not populated by illiterate idiots).

The Canadian DVD is NTSC Region 1 and contains the "Philosopher's Stone" version.

Thats pretty offensive. We are not populated with illiterate idiots. We just have people who are not fond of the word philosopher vs. Sorcerer in regards to a movie or book about wizards. USA is generally the biggest market for everything, most companies will tend to test market their products in front of focus groups. Sorcerers Stone sat more favorably then Philosophers stone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 75 Old 02-02-2007, 01:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by CKNA View Post

Why the hell you call people idiots. Everybody understands what philosopher means. It was actually at request of JK Rowling that they changed philosopher to sorcerer. Supposedly it is because she felt that philosopher has more meaning in American English and sorcerer is closer to what she was trying to say.

It has nothing to do with philosophers vs. sorcerers. The "Philosopher's Stone" is a specific mythological reference.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philosopher%27s_stone

The title was changed in the U.S. because the publisher was afraid that a high-fallutin' fancy-pants word like "Philosopher" would scare away American readers, who would hear it and assume that the book was too intellectual, which in their minds would be a bad thing. So they changed it to "Sorcerer", which conjures up more exciting images of magic and lightning bolts.

Note that the United States is the only country in the entire world that needed this change. No one else seemed to have much of a problem understanding the "Philosopher's Stone" reference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topweasel View Post

Thats pretty offensive. We are not populated with illiterate idiots.

Oh yes we are. That's what happens when public schools are forced to shove 40 students in a room for every underpaid teacher.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #63 of 75 Old 02-02-2007, 02:53 PM
Nox
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKNA View Post

Why the hell you call people idiots. Everybody understands what philosopher means. It was actually at request of JK Rowling that they changed philosopher to sorcerer. Supposedly it is because she felt that philosopher has more meaning in American English and sorcerer is closer to what she was trying to say.

This is true. It has to do with the differences in language usage across different nations. If anyone has read the books (both versions), they would notice there are changes throughout them. Certain paragraphs and sayings are rewritten in American English dialect.

-David
post #64 of 75 Old 02-02-2007, 02:57 PM
AVS Special Member

My birthday is next week, so I ordered this today for myself from Xploited.com.

Now...someone convince me it's worth it!
post #65 of 75 Old 02-02-2007, 03:34 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamwisetheBrave View Post

My birthday is next week, so I ordered this today for myself from Xploited.com.

Now...someone convince me it's worth it!

My favorite disc PQ and AQ-wise. YEAH... it's wort it

Play nice. It's just an online forum :)
post #66 of 75 Old 02-02-2007, 08:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It has nothing to do with philosophers vs. sorcerers. The "Philosopher's Stone" is a specific mythological reference.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philosopher%27s_stone

The title was changed in the U.S. because the publisher was afraid that a high-fallutin' fancy-pants word like "Philosopher" would scare away American readers, who would hear it and assume that the book was too intellectual, which in their minds would be a bad thing. So they changed it to "Sorcerer", which conjures up more exciting images of magic and lightning bolts.

Note that the United States is the only country in the entire world that needed this change. No one else seemed to have much of a problem understanding the "Philosopher's Stone" reference.

Oh yes we are. That's what happens when public schools are forced to shove 40 students in a room for every underpaid teacher.

We have the population of almost all of Europe of course we are going to have a few bad apples. Our education system does allow for drop outs and our higher learning does require the you actually care. But none of that has to do with with the Name change. It would be decades before Harry Potter hit the theaters if it wasn't successful here as a book, it probably would have sold half the amount of books worldwide if it wasn't for the US. No matter what people say about judging a book by the cover everybody does it, and if you want to make sure you sell well you make sure a majority of people find it acceptable. We live in a politically correct US and they need to make the name isn't offensive and sits with everyone just right.

Making a reference to some mythological story that not everyone may be aware of vs. a name that sounds logical with the subject matter at hand, of course the latter is going to be preferred. And Focus group things are really simple yes or no questions or rate on 1-10 your feelings with words, or combinations of words, sometimes what causes name changes isn't what is a more "fancy" or "smart" word but just how the combination of words sound. The reason the US is the only country that had the name change is because its the only country really worth the time and investment on this "beta testing". We have had a history of things where the name was changed for us, like Super Mario or Resident hero. Really all this does is prove my Rowling sell out opinion and cement my reasoning for not reading her books.
post #67 of 75 Old 02-03-2007, 01:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Just ordered my copy from exploited. Sorry, I double dipped
post #68 of 75 Old 02-03-2007, 05:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

No matter what people say about judging a book by the cover everybody does it, and if you want to make sure you sell well you make sure a majority of people find it acceptable. We live in a politically correct US and they need to make the name isn't offensive and sits with everyone just right.

So what you're saying is that the very idea of a philosopher is "offensive" to most Americans? Nice.

Quote:

Making a reference to some mythological story that not everyone may be aware of vs. a name that sounds logical with the subject matter at hand, of course the latter is going to be preferred.

Right, like such crystal clear, simple titles as "The Prisoner of Azkaban" or "The Deathly Hallows"?

Josh Z

post #69 of 75 Old 02-03-2007, 06:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So what you're saying is that the very idea of a philosopher is "offensive" to most Americans? Nice.

Right, like such crystal clear, simple titles as "The Prisoner of Azkaban" or "The Deathly Hallows"?

What is wrong with anybody preferring one word over another, or a title that matches the subject matter instead of one that without explanation may seem not to make sense at all. Yes lots of people I would say a majority of the whole world would prefer a title that matches it content a bit more. One of my favorite lines from the ancient Simpsons was when one of the characters gets out of seeing Naked Lunch says "I can find two mistakes with that title".

My Question to would be if the name was so utterly important to Rowling why didn't she just let it stand on its own? For every famous title change their are dozens that don't get changed even if they should. You would think and Author which typically would be a uptight about meanings and un-fazed by the lack of intelligence of readers in such a stupid country.

I mean think about it, a country that made a person as smart as you can't be all that bad can it? :P
post #70 of 75 Old 02-04-2007, 12:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

What is wrong with anybody preferring one word over another, or a title that matches the subject matter instead of one that without explanation may seem not to make sense at all.

The original title made as much sense as any of the other titles in the series. The American publisher felt the need to dumb it down because they assumed that American readers would be too stupid to understand it. No other publisher in any other country of the world felt that way.

I don't know why you have such a problem admitting this.

Josh Z

post #71 of 75 Old 02-04-2007, 01:39 PM
TSO

Liked: 13
This is a pointless argument, and cannot be proven one way or another.

Having lived in England and the US, I know that a "philosopher's stone" is familiar terminology in England to refer to a sorcerer's device, and is therefore thought of over there as it was intended - a mysterious, magical device belonging to a wizard in mythology.

IN the US, when I hear "philosopher's Stone", all I can think of is that sculpture by Rodin, "The Thinker", a naked man sitting on a stone with his chin in hand deep in thought. Not at all mysterious - just a lump of granite sitting under a naked man's #ss

So, I believe they changed it to keep the original meaning in context.

ON the other hand, I am ashamed that US citizens are not more familiar with other culture's myths and stories,as well as their common cultural vernacular.

So maybe not "idiots", but rather narrow in experience, due to our admittedly inward focus and separatism as a nation.

ON another note -
Why must anybody that goes by "Josh" always be so immature? I know one individual who is very mature and well spoken - He runs a very successful mission for folks in need in the Houston area, and was cited for tremendous service during katrina. However, he is adamant about being called "Joshua", and I don't blame him.
post #72 of 75 Old 02-04-2007, 02:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The original title made as much sense as any of the other titles in the series. The American publisher felt the need to dumb it down because they assumed that American readers would be too stupid to understand it. No other publisher in any other country of the world felt that way.

I don't know why you have such a problem admitting this.

Because the idea of Stupid readers seems like an oxy-moron. Honestly a person who picks up a book no matter what their mental deficiencies, just made one of the smartest choices anyone can ever make. I am not willing to admit that this great country is made up of idiots. I do have to ask you why you feel the need to call all of your neighbors idiots and bash the place that gave you such a great education that makes you feel better then everyone else.
post #73 of 75 Old 02-04-2007, 06:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I could say something really sarcastic here, but I'm just going to let it go. You like the "Sorcerer's Stone" retitle. I don't. To each their own. Let's move on now.

Josh Z

post #74 of 75 Old 02-04-2007, 07:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I could say something really sarcastic here, but I'm just going to let it go. You like the "Sorcerer's Stone" retitle. I don't. To each their own. Let's move on now.

Side comment and the part your missing, I did not say once that I liked the re-title, in fact I really don't care. But my problem is you using the re-title as further proof of the drop of intelligence of our country. But in fact the real proof is in the inability people to think rationally and spout of insults because they don't like a name change of a book.
post #75 of 75 Old 02-04-2007, 08:12 PM
Nox
AVS Special Member

"Can I borrow your rubber?"

Depending where you're from in the world, you'd receive different very different responses!

YES...we all talk differently on this little planet. Can we agree on that?

Now about this gem of an HD-DVD movie...

-David
Reply HD DVD Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page