post #31 of 37 Old 02-10-2007, 11:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 483 Post(s)
Liked: 339
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Kain View Post

I'm sorry, you must be new here, but I'm allowed to speak **** **** about either format as I own BOTH.

Ph8te, that is a nice list, but the only movies in there I care about are The Game and Eternal Sunshine. I'm getting The Departed for BR since it is a combo. As for importing, I am not doing that anymore, as it is too much of a hassle, and the cases are not the same cases we get here.

Is this true for ALL imports I think it is only true for releases in Japan....I recently saw a HD-DVD case from the UK and it matched the US release case perfectly BUT it could just be my eyes......

As for the release list it is ALWAYS person choice, but saying we have nothing to look forward to is a blanket statement and for many people its not true. I jsut wanted to show that there is more then 2 releases in the coming months that people WANT to get.... No harm meant and to each his own of course
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 37 Old 02-10-2007, 12:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post

Is this true for ALL imports I think it is only true for releases in Japan....I recently saw a HD-DVD case from the UK and it matched the US release case perfectly BUT it could just be my eyes......

As for the release list it is ALWAYS person choice, but saying we have nothing to look forward to is a blanket statement and for many people its not true. I jsut wanted to show that there is more then 2 releases in the coming months that people WANT to get.... No harm meant and to each his own of course

You are correct. Japanese HD DVDs come in standard DVD keep cases. European (U.K. and France) use standard HD DVD cases (same as U.S. cases). I would imagine Germany also uses HD DVD cases but the only German disc I have is Running Scared and it's in a digipack.

As for nothing to look forward I guess it does depend on the person. If you ask me there's plenty avaialble. The following are available from www.amazon.fr on 3/5 for ~$32 each:

Serpico
Brotherhood of the Wolf
Mulholland Drive
Terminator 2
Arizona Dream
3 Days of the Condor
The Graduate
Leaving Las Vegas

To say there are no movies for HD DVD is definitely stretching it. Import movies at ~$32 (includes 1-5 day shipping) are really a pretty good deal. It certainly provides for a wider range of titles...
post #33 of 37 Old 02-10-2007, 01:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
oooh, serpico!

post #34 of 37 Old 02-10-2007, 04:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Ah, that is nice to know about the cases. How does the PAL conversion on HD-DVD work though? The reason I ask is because my DVD player is region free, but for some reason, it won't play a PAL disc.

The format wars are over Primal, you lose - Megatron from Beast Machines (partially)

So long HD-DVD, I will miss you no matter how much I complained about Combo Discs.
post #35 of 37 Old 02-10-2007, 04:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 368
region (1/2/3/4/5/6) free does not equal multi-system (PAL/SECAM/NTSC).

If I inclined to, I can author my personal disc to be Region 1 PAL (or any combination of region and system)

With HD, there is only one system for the entire world, the only restriction is the region scheme in BD.

follow my A/V tweets @davidsusilo

ISF, THX, CEDIA, Control4 & HAA certified
Reviewer for TED, QAV, AUVI & DownUnder Audio Magazine

my (yet to be completed) BD list
my home theatre

post #36 of 37 Old 02-10-2007, 04:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Will definitely be picking this up.
It's so good on so many levels.
Personally, I think every movie deserves to be seen in Hi-Def.
Why shouldn't they be?

It ain't ignorance causes so much trouble; it's folks knowing so much that ain't so

post #37 of 37 Old 02-10-2007, 07:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 483 Post(s)
Liked: 339
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Kain View Post

Ah, that is nice to know about the cases. How does the PAL conversion on HD-DVD work though? The reason I ask is because my DVD player is region free, but for some reason, it won't play a PAL disc.

For HD-DVD thre is no need for PAL conversion it is NOT the same as DVD...All HD-DVD discs are the "same" from region to reigon
Reply HD DVD Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page