King Kong 10/10 New Reference AMAZING - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 187 Old 11-10-2006, 04:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
King Kong 10/10 New Reference AMAZING I am speechless, this is the MOST AMAZING , SPECTACULAR , HD DVD I HAVE EVER SEEN, THE MOST AMAZING THING I HAVE SEEN IN HD EVER. It has a level of microscopic detail film like panoramic palette that i have not seen.

I saw the movie twice. I have seen the demo disc for the Kong trailer, the movie blows it away. The level of detail, the sheer resolution of the movie ( especially on Skull Island) is microscopic fineness. The movie starts out a little colorless, once the ship crashes on skull island it is like a new colorful version of Kong. the colors are a rich palatte, rich oranges for the fires, flesh tones bang on, skin texture that puts MI3 to shame. It will make you speechless. There is a scene in the movie when all the "vegetarian " dinosaurs are feeding on shrub, and these carnivorous rexes start attaching, and there is a chase scene where they all rush to a cliff to avoid being eaten, and several of crew avoid being crushed to death, this is the most amazing thing i have ever seen in my life in hd. The dinosaurs skin tones every nuance, wrinkle is exhibited. There are no artificacts, the picture is fluid, every portion of the movie is filled with rich detail and jumps out at you. There is a finess and contrast , richness in color that captures you in. The exellence of VC-1 shows, with its sharpness, contrast, resoluteness and rich filmy textures.

The scene with the natives blows the demo disc KOng scene. When the child reaches out with his hand, and then bites the dirctor after being offered chocolate, then the whole tribe appears, look at the flesh tones, and pores on the skins of all the natives, it is 1080p ish that is all i can say, you forget you are looking at a movie, it is real life, It is like looking at digital pictures on a camera so sharp, the natives every blemish on skin, flesh tones, detail of hair eyes is apparent.

KOng grabs you with its visual splendour like no other movie i have seen. Forget Charlie choclate factory, Riddick , MI3 this is AMAZING, SPECTACULAR , MOMENTOUS, what an amazing historic transfer.

My parents , friends , were speechless. I watched the movie a second time, i cant stop, this is phenonomenal.

I feel so sorry for all you guys that have to wait till Tuesday. by the way i watched in on my Xa-1, i was so impatient i didn't want to hook it up to my hd dvd add on for my xbox. I will post tomorrow a comparison between the two hopefully some pictures.

THis movie alone will make people stop in their tracks of Best buy etc, Blue ray you are DEAD. I love my demo disc, this is my new Bible.

Guys don't walk run to Best buy, on Tuesday get this movie. You will be delighted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 187 Old 11-10-2006, 04:55 AM

So you liked it then.
Cheers for your comments cant wait to get mine.
Also what about the audio side of things?
post #3 of 187 Old 11-10-2006, 05:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Another HD DVD fanboy no doubt lol. I have KK on order with Amazon and they had best get it to me soon.

BTW MicroSoft is very smart to have included KK with the xBox player imo.
post #4 of 187 Old 11-10-2006, 05:05 AM

Can't wait for mine. I just canceled my amazon order and will just pick it up in store instead.
post #5 of 187 Old 11-10-2006, 05:09 AM - Thread Starter

Whilst the visual side is orgasmic for lack of better word, i can't say the same for the audio. It has a regual dolby digital audio track , no true hd. The sound is spectacular you can hear the cracks of every twig, Ann screams almost woke up my neighbours, It is like Jurassic Park but 100 times better. i am watching the movie for the 2 1/2 time, i am so captivated by the visuals.

Excellent sound track just not as mindblowing as the picture. I can't say enough about the picture quality. Kongs every hair, shading on his hide is so vivid and vibrant, and the panoramas of SKull island, make Riddick look like Perfect Storm.

THIS IS THE MOVIE TO SHOW YOUR NEIGHBOURS, NON HD DVD JOE SIX PACKS, AND SHOW OFF TO ALL THE CHICKS.

I am going to watch it again tomorrow, I just got Gears of War for my 360, it is going to collect dust, and it is the most anticipated game for the 360. It is 4 am in Los Angeles i have a day off tomorrow, so i can blast the sound to the max and enjoy KOng without waking up all the neighbours.

Thank you Universal for such an amazing transfer and Amir and team at Microsoft for such amazing codec- VC-1
post #6 of 187 Old 11-10-2006, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calikarim View Post

THIS IS THE MOVIE TO SHOW YOUR NEIGHBOURS, NON HD DVD JOE SIX PACKS, AND SHOW OFF TO ALL THE CHICKS.

I see a new tagline for HD-DVD advertising:

HD-DVD owners get all the chicks
post #7 of 187 Old 11-10-2006, 05:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I am speechless, this is the MOST AMAZING , SPECTACULAR , HD DVD I HAVE EVER SEEN, THE MOST AMAZING THING I HAVE SEEN IN HD EVER. It has a level of microscopic detail film like panoramic palette that i have not seen.

I saw the movie twice. I have seen the demo disc for the Kong trailer, the movie blows it away. The level of detail, the sheer resolution of the movie ( especially on Skull Island) is microscopic fineness. The movie starts out a little colorless, once the ship crashes on skull island it is like a new colorful version of Kong. the colors are a rich palatte, rich oranges for the fires, flesh tones bang on, skin texture that puts MI3 to shame. It will make you speechless. There is a scene in the movie when all the "vegetarian " dinosaurs are feeding on shrub, and these carnivorous rexes start attaching, and there is a chase scene where they all rush to a cliff to avoid being eaten, and several of crew avoid being crushed to death, this is the most amazing thing i have ever seen in my life in hd. The dinosaurs skin tones every nuance, wrinkle is exhibited. There are no artificacts, the picture is fluid, every portion of the movie is filled with rich detail and jumps out at you. There is a finess and contrast , richness in color that captures you in. The exellence of VC-1 shows, with its sharpness, contrast, resoluteness and rich filmy textures.

The scene with the natives blows the demo disc KOng scene. When the child reaches out with his hand, and then bites the dirctor after being offered chocolate, then the whole tribe appears, look at the flesh tones, and pores on the skins of all the natives, it is 1080p ish that is all i can say, you forget you are looking at a movie, it is real life, It is like looking at digital pictures on a camera so sharp, the natives every blemish on skin, flesh tones, detail of hair eyes is apparent.

KOng grabs you with its visual splendour like no other movie i have seen. Forget Charlie choclate factory, Riddick , MI3 this is AMAZING, SPECTACULAR , MOMENTOUS, what an amazing historic transfer.

My parents , friends , were speechless. I watched the movie a second time, i cant stop, this is phenonomenal.

I feel so sorry for all you guys that have to wait till Tuesday. by the way i watched in on my Xa-1, i was so impatient i didn't want to hook it up to my hd dvd add on for my xbox. I will post tomorrow a comparison between the two hopefully some pictures.

THis movie alone will make people stop in their tracks of Best buy etc, Blue ray you are DEAD. I love my demo disc, this is my new Bible.

Guys don't walk run to Best buy, on Tuesday get this movie. You will be delighted.

whoaaaa baby.... come on Robert, ship those A2s already!!!!!!
post #8 of 187 Old 11-10-2006, 05:41 AM

some screen shot via the Xbox HD dvd add on
http://forum.teamxbox.com/showthread.php?t=483968
post #9 of 187 Old 11-10-2006, 05:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onkyo10 View Post

some screen shot via the Xbox HD dvd add on
http://forum.teamxbox.com/showthread.php?t=483968

These "screenshots" are FAKE. Don't get fooled. Look at the background behind the screen - you see that the HD-DVD shots were artificially sharpened, brightness and contrast was adjusted... I would say it is really amazing that HD-DVD/VC-1 makes even the light switch BEHIND THE TV SET look much sharper...
post #10 of 187 Old 11-10-2006, 05:52 AM - Thread Starter

The shots are real, i have seen the movie. Whoever says they are fake have not seen the movie are are sore blue ray fans (jealous).

Why would Onkyo fake shots, i will post my own shots in morning from my Pentax optimo, i have to spend some time downloading them, in morning
post #11 of 187 Old 11-10-2006, 06:02 AM

the matter is that BR fans can not imagine that could be so true with HD...usually, picture is softer in BR and so there are many functions to adjust the picture quality
post #12 of 187 Old 11-10-2006, 06:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The shots are real, i have seen the movie. Whoever says they are fake have not seen the movie are are sore blue ray fans (jealous).

Ahemmm... I would never doubt that King Kong looks AMAZING on HD-DVD. I have a 13GB KK *.ts HD capture that looks very detailed already - so the HD-DVD will certainly be a sight to behold. I have mine on preorder btw. THAT DOESN'T CHANGE THE FACT THAT THESE "SCREENSHOTS" ARE FABRICATED! Even a blind man with 10 minutes of Photoshop experience can see that! Look how EVERTHING in the HD-DVD shots looks much sharper (to the point that there is LOTS of ringing, this is just Edge Enhancement at its worst...), detailed, brighter and has more contrast - the light switch on the wall, the speaker grill, the TV set itself.... Open your eyes - King Kong certainly looks great on HD-DVD - but fabricating "screenshots" to fool people is just sad...

(and please can we have one single thread on this forum without stupid and pathetic HD-DVD/BluRay format war blah blah! I'm proud and satisfied HD-DVD user btw)
post #13 of 187 Old 11-10-2006, 06:15 AM

These screen shots are pulled from sited dedicated to XBOX 360 and within forumer just like you and me...there is no benefit to go there and to fool people.
post #14 of 187 Old 11-10-2006, 06:25 AM - Thread Starter

The movie speaks in volumes for itself, anyone with digital camera post pics on this thread, i will get some sleep post some in morning with my digital camera, Pics don't come out good with flash at nite.
post #15 of 187 Old 11-10-2006, 06:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLion View Post

(and please can we have one single thread on this forum without stupid and pathetic HD-DVD/BluRay format war blah blah! I'm proud and satisfied HD-DVD user btw)

Amen to that comment.
post #16 of 187 Old 11-10-2006, 06:29 AM

I originally had no interest in this movie but after reading this I will definately have to pick it up.

www.FREESTYLE.fm
....Its not who you love...Its how!!!
post #17 of 187 Old 11-10-2006, 06:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Blue ray you are DEAD.

Really, is this necessary? I'm an HD DVD fan, but I just want to say you can herald this fantastic release without at the same time making these kinds of comments. And that goes for both sides.
post #18 of 187 Old 11-10-2006, 06:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

These "screenshots" are FAKE. Don't get fooled. Look at the background behind the screen - you see that the HD-DVD shots were artificially sharpened, brightness and contrast was adjusted... I would say it is really amazing that HD-DVD/VC-1 makes even the light switch BEHIND THE TV SET look much sharper...

I think your right! Look at the speaker grill (left side) on pics 3 and 4 (from top to bottom). They didnt even do a very good job (lots of edge ringing)
post #19 of 187 Old 11-10-2006, 07:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
What TV do you have?

Also, it looks like there are differing opinions. While all agree that KK is excellent, some feel that MI:3 edges it out.

I'm a little confused about your assessment of the sound. You say it is spectacular, but earlier in the sentence you suggest it's not as impressive as the video. What do you mean exactly? 10/10 for video, and 9/10 for audio?

I look to receiving mine on the w/e...

How's it on the 360?
post #20 of 187 Old 11-10-2006, 07:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

The light switch is telling.... whats the purpose of faking them? I never understand the posting of fake, mock ups of things...what does one gain?
post #21 of 187 Old 11-10-2006, 07:08 AM
tsb
AVS Special Member

looks shopped to me as well
post #22 of 187 Old 11-10-2006, 07:09 AM
Advanced Member

Glad it looks great! Can't wait to get mine today with my 360 add on. Too bad I hated the movie.

Xbox 360 gamertag: Cdub998
PSN: cdub998
post #23 of 187 Old 11-10-2006, 07:20 AM

Yep those pics are definately photoshopped and have been sharpened....i would also say that the regular DVD edition that they are comparing has been deliberately softened..... that makes the difference seem more extreme.

The stampede effects sequence is one of the weakest moments in the film and some of the scenes of men running between the legs of dinosaurs looks extremely fake ( some of it works though ) yet the original poster thinks this scene is great just because its in high definition. ? Perhaps in the extended edition they actually fixed this effects shot but if this is the same as the regular DVD then i don't see how it can look better and if anything the higher definition would make it look even worse but hey each to their own and if the original poster thinks high definition can make a scene or a movie better then so be it.....

I did enjoy this movie though and didn't think it too long...only scene i didn't like was the pit sequence which i found corny ( they should have stuck to spiders for that scene )

Why do people who hated a movie still buy them just cos they're in high definition or have great sound quality ? seems a silly reason to buy a movie.
post #24 of 187 Old 11-10-2006, 07:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

I agree with TheLion. Those screen shots are doctored. The HD shots are edge enhanced (sharpened) while the DVD ones are not. It is obvious looking at the picture outside of the monitor.

K
post #25 of 187 Old 11-10-2006, 07:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post

Hmm..We're talking about a movie and the words 'dead', 'amazing', 'historic' and 'Bible' are used to describe a disc...I say new words to add to the fanboy definition book of HD DVD....

Quite frankly, these digs are getting extremely tiresome, even when supposedly in jest.
post #26 of 187 Old 11-10-2006, 07:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:

Hmm..We're talking about a movie and the words 'dead', 'amazing', 'historic' and 'Bible' are used to describe a disc...I say new words to add to the fanboy definition book of HD DVD....

Glad it looks great! Can't wait to pick up a copy myself!!

hehehe , have to agreewith you, definitely not a biased opinion, lol

he did forget to say... Must be good news for Blur Ray !!
post #27 of 187 Old 11-10-2006, 07:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
we need so see some pics to compare.
post #28 of 187 Old 11-10-2006, 07:53 AM
AVS Special Member

post #29 of 187 Old 11-10-2006, 07:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vurbano View Post

It is his way of getting away with trolling.

His reviews also leave something to be desired.
post #30 of 187 Old 11-10-2006, 07:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

Glad it looks great! Can't wait to pick up a copy myself!!

the bland, please stop trolling over here since you sold your a1 and have a blu-ray player now.. what are you going to play kong on? your $1600 pioneer dvd player?? this is the hd dvd section, not dvd..
Reply HD DVD Software

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page