Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoSoxMole View Post

Once again, great on the Toshiba.

Anyone on the 360 think it looked bad?

This was taken using the XBOX 360 HD DVD add on on a 92" screen using AE900 PJ.

Altough a screenshot can never be used to accurately potray the image you are seeing in your HT, this probably the closest I can manage. Like I mentioned before in my first post properly calibrated viewing sets will yield superior PQ and in this case dark scenes will show details on blacks otherwise absent if not calibrated properly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 240 Old 01-05-2007, 12:51 AM

Liked: 10
Hmm okay.

So when EVERY MOVIE I watch looks fine in dark scenes, but this one, then my set isn't calibrated properly? Yeah, that doesn't make sense.

And no screenshot of what I posted?

EDIT: I am looked at all the shots you posted and they look fine to me. HOWEVER, the scene I was talking about does not look fine. I believe this looks horrible, on my set, which I've stated a few times is calibrated. And that other movies look perfectly fine in dark scenes.

The Mole is here.
post #183 of 240 Old 01-05-2007, 12:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoSoxMole View Post

Hmm okay.

So when EVERY MOVIE I watch looks fine in dark scenes, but this one, then my set isn't calibrated properly? Yeah, that doesn't make sense.

And no screenshot of what I posted?

I remember the last shot you posted from the theaters and I don't remember it being that dark. At all.

It doesn't make sense lets leave at that.

I will post the screenshot version of mine as soon as I can manage. Probably this weekend. But no promises.

What we need is a CRT PJ user to post screenshots. Those images will look superior to what I have posted. Clarence? William? Art?
post #184 of 240 Old 01-05-2007, 01:28 AM

But like I said, it's that one scene. That's it. Everything else looks fine and dandy.

The Mole is here.
post #185 of 240 Old 01-05-2007, 07:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephan View Post

The disc itself is identical to the US release (which is not out yet). Video is stored in 1080p24 too.

I'm using the Toshiba A1 via HDMI->DVI into Lumagen VisionPro HDP where the signal gets properly de-interlaced to 1080p, framerate converted from 60Hz to 48Hz and from there via DVI into a Sony VW-100. I'll try to post pictures tomorrow and will also throw in some pics from my Sony KDS-70R2000 (european version of the KDS-70XBR2) which I'm using in my living room.

Aha! I think the HDMI->DVI step downgrades you from 12 bit color to 8 bit color. Does anyone know if that is right? That would explain a lot.
post #186 of 240 Old 01-05-2007, 07:14 AM
AVS Special Member

No, in this case HDMI and DVI are exactly the same, the only difference is the connector.
post #187 of 240 Old 01-05-2007, 10:11 AM
Advanced Member

I'll be home later tonight, will take the pics then. So expect them later tonight or tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xylon View Post

What we need is a CRT PJ user to post screenshots. Those images will look superior to what I have posted. Clarence? William? Art?

Well, I also still have a Barco 9" CRT packed up sitting in the basement outside the HT, sometimes I'm still using if for comparisons. If I'm in the right mood I'll drag it back into the HT and check it out. Haven't used it much lately, since the VW-100 throws the superior image, except for absolute blacklevel. If necessary I could also do this with a Qualia 004 and Meridian MF1, but that would take a little longer and I honestly don't see the point since overall, the VW-100 (which is optimized, not just calibrated) throws the best image.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoThru22 View Post

Aha! I think the HDMI->DVI step downgrades you from 12 bit color to 8 bit color. Does anyone know if that is right? That would explain a lot.

Nothing like that happening here. The only difference is the connector and that DVI can't carry audio, which I'm not using anyway since I'm still waiting for a HDMI card for my 861...

About the 360 add-on, I don't have one yet. I do have the 360 and was thinking about getting the add-on since I need a second HD DVD player to watch series in the living room. The only problem is, I couldn't find one yet. I'll check my dealer again next week and see what he has to say.

- Stephan
post #188 of 240 Old 01-05-2007, 01:14 PM

Tomorrow, I am going to my Sisters house. She just got a 42" Toshiba and I am going to bring my PS3 and 360 to show her what "True" HD looks like. I'll throw HP in and see what it looks like on her set.

The Mole is here.
post #189 of 240 Old 01-05-2007, 04:14 PM
Advanced Member

DVI is exactly the same as HDMI v1.0 NOT v1.2. HDMI v1.0 only allows RGB colorspace, whereas v1.2 allows YCbCr 4:4:2 and 4:4:4 colorspaces. There are problems with blacker-than-black on DVI that disappear with an HDMI v1.2 connection.
post #190 of 240 Old 01-06-2007, 12:44 AM

In news:

From DavisDVD.com:

Quote:

Harry Potter... Disappears

Warner Home Video has confirmed that all four "Harry Potter" DVD titles will be off store shelves within the first few months of 2007, with no announced plans for their return. The first three films - Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone, Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets and Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban - will go on moratorium on January 5th, 2007. Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire will become unavailable beginning on January 22nd.

Rumors swirl that the studio is indeed planning new high-definition special editions in anticipation of the fifth film due later this year, but no concrete plans have been revealed. In the meantime, visit Amazon.com's Harry Potter Store if you want one last chance at these great sets. Get yours before they're gone!

The Mole is here.
post #191 of 240 Old 01-06-2007, 04:20 PM
Advanced Member

First of all, sorry for the delay. I took 19 images today with my rusty old digital camera only to find that they all came out way too dark, this is not what I'm seeing on screen. I'll try again tomorrow and play a little with the camera settings since taking pics in auto-mode doesn't work as expected.

DVI and HDMI in this case is absolutely identical, there is no downgrading nor any loss of information. You just have to calibrate each input individually, then switching between DVI and HDMI will look absolutely identical. I'd also like to know where you want to get those color spaces you listed from? Currently we're very limited by the technology of HD DVD and BD and the codecs used on those and not the connection of any form.

About the disappearing Potter DVDs, I wouldn't worry about it and I certainly wouldn't buy DVDs at this point. That no concrete plans have been revealed is not true. By now there are many people out there who know when and in what form Potter will be back. I know some of them are reading this board, so I'll leave it to them to post it here.

- Stephan
post #192 of 240 Old 01-06-2007, 04:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Set your digital camera to night mode/scene. Turn off flash. Set it to tripod, 2 seconds delay.
post #193 of 240 Old 01-06-2007, 05:15 PM

just want to add, I picked up HP as well, thanks to this forum!

VERY Happy with it - DOLBY TRUEHD - BRING IT ON!

- Jack

-Jack
post #194 of 240 Old 01-07-2007, 11:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 156
I watched this movie last night on my 55A2000 and it is right up their with the top movies. The picture looked great and the dark scenes were nice and sharp. My only problem was I couldn't have the sound turned up higher since the kids were in bed.

I think this movie maybe my new reference title for when people come over. It played with out a hiccup on my A1.

Xbox Live: DaBeavers
PSN- Arutha_conDoin
Steam- An0mander
"Too much knowledge never makes for simple decisions."
-Ghanima Atreides
post #195 of 240 Old 01-07-2007, 11:54 AM

Good to know since I only have the A1 so far.
post #196 of 240 Old 01-09-2007, 06:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The climactic graveyard scene looks hazy, dark and foggy to convey dread and mystery. Its intentional for that part of the movie.

Looking back to the other dark scene of the movie, you can see here its dark but the details on the objects are intact.

I conclude that there is no problem with the transfer or the blacks for this particular scene. Blame Mrs. Rowling.
post #197 of 240 Old 01-09-2007, 06:42 AM
Advanced Member

To me, it looks like something is wrong with the first three pictures. Look at the top left quadrant of the third picture. It looks like a lot of large pixels to me.

-John
post #198 of 240 Old 01-09-2007, 06:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jflegert View Post

To me, it looks like something is wrong with the first three pictures. Look at the top left quadrant of the third picture. It looks like a lot of large pixels to me.

-John

Just the way screenshots are made ie., cropping and resizing. What I'm showing here are the overall look of the scene. Please don't get too critical on screenshots made on a projector (AE900). Its really hard to take accurate ones especially dark scenes. Those are a pain.
post #199 of 240 Old 01-09-2007, 08:58 AM
Advanced Member

Phew... I thought I could never post the pics, whenever I tried AVS was down.

Anyway, here we go. This is not to show of the quality of the disc, just that it isn't too dark. I took the pics at a lower resolution with compression activated to avoid big files.
This is from Toshiba A1 -> Lumagen VisionPro HDP -> Sony VW-100

I wouldn't say those are too dark. Certainly not the best quality due to compression and camera settings, but I think you get the point about the mentioned brightness issues. I'll try to play a little with the camera settings and see if I can take one "reference" shot which shows something anywhere near what I'm seeing on screen.
Camera is kind of old (I think over 6 years) and lacks when it comes to settings, but I'll try.

- Stephan
post #200 of 240 Old 01-09-2007, 02:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Looking at the pix the blacks are clearly showing details and distinct shapes on the objects even though the scene requires it. So there is no problem with blacks on our setup.
post #201 of 240 Old 01-18-2007, 09:34 PM

Receiving pretty good reviews-

http://www.hd-world.net/reviewHPOTTERdvd.html

Just wish they would hurry up and release it at a decent price instead of importing from UK

3D Display - Epson TW9000w 3D Projector | 3D Player - Panasonic BD-110 3D player/PS3 | 3D Receiver -  Onkyo TX-NR818 | Speakers - Klipsch Reference 5.1 Speakers | PB12-NSD SVS Subwoofer

post #202 of 240 Old 01-18-2007, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazbug View Post

Receiving pretty good reviews-

http://www.hd-world.net/reviewHPOTTERdvd.html

Just wish they would hurry up and release it at a decent price instead of importing from UK

I paid under $40 for mine, not much more than some of the DVD/HD-DVD combos out there.

All Harry Potter movies are on a freeze from now until the new book releases.
Warner brothers is not allowed to ship another copy until then.

So if you really want this, import it and do it now before stock runs out.
Otherwise you'll be waiting until at least 7/7/07 for them to release.

The good news is, if you wait, it will likely be on the new Warner Blu-ray/HD-DVD combo disks - probably not a bad investment given that we don't know how this format war is going to end.

-Jack
post #203 of 240 Old 01-19-2007, 05:14 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by basementjack2 View Post

Oh wow that long?!?! If this is true I'm not sure if i can wait that long. I may have to pick this one up. gosh! my credit card is gonna kill me!
post #204 of 240 Old 01-19-2007, 05:24 AM

Quote:

I paid under $40 for mine, not much more than some of the DVD/HD-DVD combos out there.

The good news is, if you wait, it will likely be on the new Warner Blu-ray/HD-DVD combo disks - probably not a bad investment given that we don't know how this format war is going to end.

The bad news is, if you wait, the only way you may be able to get it is on a TotalHD combo disc, with the crappy blue-red cover... and the cost to the current HD-DVD import may be comparable.
post #205 of 240 Old 01-19-2007, 05:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 156
Quote:

Do you have a link for that? That doesn't make Sense for WB not to release movies on HD DVD before then? I doubt it would hurt the sale of book 7 if anything it would probably help the sales of book 7. It's not like Rowling will be hurting on sales anyways. I know I am looking forward to that book and my wife and I will be fighting with who gets to read it first!

Xbox Live: DaBeavers
PSN- Arutha_conDoin
Steam- An0mander
"Too much knowledge never makes for simple decisions."
-Ghanima Atreides
post #206 of 240 Old 01-19-2007, 08:18 PM

link to amazon : http://www.amazon.com/Harry-Potter-D...R3CR5P779GZZPN

Link to the HD-DVD: http://xploitedcinema.com/catalog/ha...e-p-10796.html

The HD-DVD is amazing - Dolby TrueHD, 2.35:1 Widescreen and full use of the extended HD-DVD feature set.

-Jack
post #207 of 240 Old 01-19-2007, 08:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

"The Departed" on the new Warner combo retails at $39.99.

Hard to believe you may actually pay less for this import than what this will cost domestically.

"We did not have business relations with that company, Fuh Yuan."
post #208 of 240 Old 01-20-2007, 04:30 PM
Advanced Member

I've got the Harry Potter GoF import and i absolutely love it.It's in my personal top 5 HD disc selections.

As for the new TW $39.99 HD DVD/BD combo discs going for $39.99 retail, i'll have very little use for them.While i am an owner of both formats it still doesn't mean i want or am wiling to buy a 2 version disc for almost double the price of a standard HD DVD(non combo) or BD movie disc.

If all studios start doing that and charging those kind of prices it will quickly stall ANY HD format growth AND as much as i hate saying this,considering that the security coding on both formats has been hacked it wouldn't surprize me if the studios used that as an excuse for more expensive prices.
post #209 of 240 Old 01-20-2007, 05:28 PM
Advanced Member

Hell yes it does, sounds awesome
post #210 of 240 Old 01-20-2007, 06:02 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
I traded used copies of Supes 2: Donner Cut, and Aeon Flux for a new copy of HP:GoF. Waiting for it to come in the mail any day now, and all of this talk here is making me VERY impatient!!

*waits...waits some more...*

Play nice. It's just an online forum :)
Reply HD DVD Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page