Is it just my luck or do combo disks S!@#CK - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 12-16-2006, 07:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've recently purchased Superman acouple of weeks ago and the movie just froze about an hr or so into it (when Loise Lane was havin a smoke on top of the Daily Star and Superman's there and blows it out) and the movie just wouldn't go anywhere past that point. So I had to literally power the machine down and eject the disk. I have since replaced that movie with another copy and plays flawless. So my latest adventure with a a combo disk was with Miami Vice, go and pop it in and starts the whole HD DVD intro and was perfect until I started playin the movie and showing the actors and directors names and they just didn't look smooth at all. Basically had a very hard jagged look to them so then I thought mabe that's the way the director wanted them to look like. So I them fast fowarded to the movie sure enuff the movie looked like CRAP, there were jagged edges around everything and allot of pixelation on very high action scenes. To be honest the movie it's self looked like a DVD shrink copy ( and think we all know what that looks like )
So the reason why I'm writting this, is to find out if anyone else has been have any kinds of problems with the more recent combo disks lately. Because for me my boycott of combo disk starts as of today.

UPDATE:
Ok, now this has got to be the weirdest thing. I took Miami Vice and played it in my 360 HD drive and plays PERFECT ( had no looks as I described before being played in my HD-A1 ) So I started to think what is diferent about this player (360 HD) compared to the HD-A1 besides one being hooked up with component and the other with HDMI. It turns out to be the resolution settings. The 360's res is set to 1080i and the HD-A1 was set to 720p. So I swithced the res on the A1 to 1080i from always being set at 720p and BINGO, BEAUTIFUL picture. It's kinda funny that all 30 some HD movies I own play fine at 720p and this movie I have to switch to 1080i to get that Spectacular pic that HD dvd has to offer.

Anyone happen to know why this would have happen???

Thanks everyone
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 12-16-2006, 08:03 AM
Advanced Member

No problems with the combo discs I have so far. (Superman & Miami Vice) The one thing I like about combos is I have SD DVD players in the house as well as HD DVD. My kids can take Superman and watch it in another room without having to double dip. Saves money
post #3 of 15 Old 12-16-2006, 08:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtreme929 View Post

I've recently purchased Superman acouple of weeks ago and the movie just froze about an hr or so into it (when Loise Lane was havin a smoke on top of the Daily Star and Superman's there and blows it out) and the movie just wouldn't go anywhere past that point. So I had to literally power the machine down and eject the disk. I have since replaced that movie with another copy and plays flawless. So my latest adventure with a a combo disk was with Miami Vice, go and pop it in and starts the whole HD DVD intro and was perfect until I started playin the movie and showing the actors and directors names and they just didn't look smooth at all. Basically had a very hard jagged look to them so then I thought mabe that's the way the director wanted them to look like. So I them fast fowarded to the movie sure enuff the movie looked like CRAP, there were jagged edges around everything and allot of pixelation on very high action scenes. To be honest the movie it's self looked like a DVD shrink copy ( and think we all know what that looks like )
So the reason why I'm writting this, is to find out if anyone else has been have any kinds of problems with the more recent combo disks lately. Because for me my boycott of combo disk starts as of today.

Not frozing here on Superman.. ALL combo at 9/30 disc , you basically didn't like how Miami Vice Director used a LOT of post processing effect on his movies. Check all movies made by this director, Heat and Collateral are all the same hyper grainy (faked) and Post Processed color...

89+ Blu-ray Disc ;)
post #4 of 15 Old 12-16-2006, 08:08 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 91
No issues here accept the price!

Search or copy and paste-> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com <-to check out my latest Reviews.

Check out these new Lighted Cup Holders:
http://hstrial-jrodriguez996.homeste...=1402680301175
post #5 of 15 Old 12-16-2006, 08:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have three combos (Good Night and Good Luck, Superman Returns, and Animal House) and I've had no problems with any of them. The only discs I've had issues with is skipping on King Kong and my MI3 that won't load at all.
post #6 of 15 Old 12-16-2006, 09:00 AM

My A1 did have a problem playing "Superman Returns" with skipping and freezing. Replaced my A1 with the A2, and no problems.

Supporter of 3-D, so let's all play in harmony!
post #7 of 15 Old 12-16-2006, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member

I refuse to buy a combo. Price is my main factor but all the others bother me still.

"My ignorance amuses me." .......Manfred Powell

Blu-Ray = 381 HD DVD = 1
My Collection
post #8 of 15 Old 12-16-2006, 11:26 AM

Actually, there were some bad pressings of SR. I had the exact same problem in about the same place about 1hr 15min in and still waiting for my replacement.
post #9 of 15 Old 01-10-2007, 06:17 PM

Quick question; When I've had bad DVDs in the past, I get pixalation or freezes. When the camera is panning over the ice-field to the shore-line, I get a white line in the upper left part of the screen for a second, and again when it's panning through the valley to the Fortress. Is this part of the film, or a new "type" of flaw in the DVD I got?
post #10 of 15 Old 01-10-2007, 07:00 PM
Advanced Member

I was one of the original pitchfork carriers for the combo lynching mob. No More, I realize I am not going to forgo getting a movie I want because Combos are not the most famous deploment and or because they are more expensive. I am forgoing BD and that is enough, to also add combo deployed movies would leave me with 3 movies to choose from.

Jorge

Audio Enthusiast, HD Videophile.
post #11 of 15 Old 01-10-2007, 07:06 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I am confused. I own the 360 add on and bought SR it's had problems with skipping and freezing. I took it back and had the same issue I am now on my 4th copy. It was freezing if I tried to go past chapter 21. I also had issues with skipping during the flight with Lois and Superman.
I took it out and checked for scratches or anything there were none, but the issues repeated itself. Yesterday I put it in and had no issues, I put it in today because I had to take back Wolf Creek(audio skipping, wouldn't play making of) to the same place I bought SR and again I watched chapter 19-21 and had no issues. I find it odd that I can have an issue with a movie one minute and then not another minute.
post #12 of 15 Old 01-10-2007, 07:14 PM

Yeah had the same problem on SR, it was after he had flown up with her and was talking to her. It would stutter and freeze and then get way out of sync. I had amazon send me an exchange and no trouble with it.

Mongol General:"What is best in life?"
Conan:"To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women."
post #13 of 15 Old 01-10-2007, 07:18 PM

Well, what about my question about the white lines?
post #14 of 15 Old 01-10-2007, 10:56 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Well i have 4 combo movies [Lady in the Water(not seen), Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang, Miami Vice and Superman Returns) So far no problems with skipping or anything yet movie wise for anyone of them with my HD-A1 player. the only problem i had was with Miami Vice when i hit the menu button during the final shoot out i couldn't select anything on the menu. Movie kept playing fine but couldn't select anything but could pause, play and stop with remote.

Supporting both HD-DVD and Blu-ray
My DVD Collection
post #15 of 15 Old 01-11-2007, 08:43 AM

My worst "combo" story is from when I decided to try out the SD version of "Army of Darkness" at my parent's house, and their slot-loading DVD player (LG upconverting style) "ate" the disc and wouldn't eject it because it was "too thick" for the drive mechanism. I had to take the entire DVD player apart to retrieve the disc. ...Yet another reason (other than price) that I don't care for them...

Lee
Reply HD DVD Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page