Christmas Vacation Playback issue - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 12-17-2006, 09:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have had my HD-A1 since April with only one other disc, besides this one giving me an issue. V for Vendetta did not load up at all at first, but after getting a new copy, it worked much better. Christmas Vacation is another story all together. Loads up fine, plays fine until about 1hr, and 10 min into the movie it freezes. I have tried everything, reset, reboot, unplugging the player. Nothing can get me past chapter 21. I can't even access anything past that chapter.

Just in case anyone ask, yes I have 2.0 firmware, and just watched Superman, and Superman II without a hitch. I also popped in A Christmas Story, without a problem.

Thoughts? Obviously, I will try to get a replacement, but I ordered through Amazon, So hopefully they will be quick with returns!

Anyone think this may be a hardware issue?

M.

Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 12-18-2006, 03:59 PM
AVS Special Member

My copy of Christmas Vacation takes two to three minutes to load, and then when it starts to play it skips and has audio drop-outs all over the place. I always considered Warner one of the quality leaders on the DVD format, but I am starting to get fed up with their lack of quality control on HD DVD. They really seem to be asleep at the wheel where quality is concerned. I have had issues with six HD DVDs, all of them Warner titles. Every single disc from Universal has played perfectly through a number of firmware revisions. Why can't Warner do the same?

--Jerome
post #3 of 14 Old 12-18-2006, 04:10 PM
AVS Special Member

I played it last night, and had no problems.
J
post #4 of 14 Old 12-18-2006, 05:03 PM
AVS Special Member

No problems here... HD-A1 w/ 2.0 fw.

-Josh Murrah
post #5 of 14 Old 12-18-2006, 08:14 PM

No problem here either. HD-A1 fw2.0 no audio drops or freezeing.
post #6 of 14 Old 12-18-2006, 08:22 PM
AVS Special Member

I have this tittle just got it actually . I have the 360 add on. Load times seem in line with some of the discs . Little longer than smallville (which i noticed to be one of the faster ones ) but not as long as v for vendetta.

I mean i'm only just starting to watch it and prob can't watch it all tonight. But it looks great to me and no audio issues so far.
post #7 of 14 Old 12-18-2006, 08:53 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhythmx View Post

I have had my HD-A1 since April with only one other disc, besides this one giving me an issue. V for Vendetta did not load up at all at first, but after getting a new copy, it worked much better. Christmas Vacation is another story all together. Loads up fine, plays fine until about 1hr, and 10 min into the movie it freezes. I have tried everything, reset, reboot, unplugging the player. Nothing can get me past chapter 21. I can't even access anything past that chapter.

Just in case anyone ask, yes I have 2.0 firmware, and just watched Superman, and Superman II without a hitch. I also popped in A Christmas Story, without a problem.

Thoughts? Obviously, I will try to get a replacement, but I ordered through Amazon, So hopefully they will be quick with returns!

Anyone think this may be a hardware issue?

M.

I have had essentially the exact same problem, albeit a bit more sporadic, with this title on the HD-A1 with firmware v2.0. I just chalked it up to the remaining issues with the freeze-ups and drop-outs all too common with this latest firmware version.
post #8 of 14 Old 12-19-2006, 07:01 PM - Thread Starter

Thought I would update everyone on this disc. I got a replacement disc sent from Amazon today, and it played flawlessly, without a hitch. Must have been a defective disc.

m.

Mark
post #9 of 14 Old 12-19-2006, 07:04 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 117
We are watching it Friday so then I will know...

For my latest Reviews and Stuff google -> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com
Check out my Dolby Atmos/Surround first take:
http://hstrial-jrodriguez996.homeste...=1409517748063
post #10 of 14 Old 12-21-2006, 06:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
By the way, this disc is honked. The audio should be 2.0, but instead it outputs 5.1 but with dead center, LFE, and rear channels. As a result, dialog comes from your nearest speaker.

Yuck. Really made watching it a chore.

MEC2
P.S. Unless it's SUPPOSED to do that, which sucks, because most receivers won't mix it right... I noticed other 2.0 DVD's properly spit out just L and R, not 5.1 with dead center and rear...
post #11 of 14 Old 12-21-2006, 10:17 PM
AVS Special Member

No problems here.
post #12 of 14 Old 01-23-2007, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEC2 View Post

By the way, this disc is honked. The audio should be 2.0, but instead it outputs 5.1 but with dead center, LFE, and rear channels. As a result, dialog comes from your nearest speaker.

Yuck. Really made watching it a chore.

MEC2
P.S. Unless it's SUPPOSED to do that, which sucks, because most receivers won't mix it right... I noticed other 2.0 DVD's properly spit out just L and R, not 5.1 with dead center and rear...

MEC2: I have the same issue. I take Optical from HD-A2 into a Parasound AVC-2500 and get L and R, nothing in the center or surrounds. So it's very annoying. Why did they do this? Would have been better to just do straight Stereo and let the processor decode as Pro-Logic.

post #13 of 14 Old 01-27-2007, 03:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Jay -

Yes it would have... you might be able to tell the player to output PCM 2.0 only, which would allow your receiver to at least Dolby PL it, but this is clearly a bunk hump by whoever mastered this disc for them. I think I'd rather watch the regular DVD...

MEC2
post #14 of 14 Old 01-27-2007, 09:31 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
No issues w/ mine- XA1-2.0FW

I had PCM audio over HDMI and sound quality was mediocre but expected.

Based on a comparison to the older SD DVD I own, there is a subtle improvement in picture quality- surprisingly this is one title my wife is familiar with and she noticed 3-4 scenes where she could highlight the HD improvement- go figure...
Reply HD DVD Software

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page