Call me crazy, but I like the combo disks. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 60 Old 12-22-2006, 05:46 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have to admit that I was originally on the bandwagon for bashing Universal's combo disks. I didn't want to pay the extra cash for a feature I didn't believe I would use, but now I think otherwise. Every combo disk I've purchased has been played on its SD-DVD side at some point. For Superman, my girlfriend watched it on our bedroom TV where we only have an upconvert player. With Miami Vice, I took a break from studying while I watched it on my laptop. With The Grinch, I watched it back home with my family who has no idea what HD-DVD is. Now I find the feature useful and I don't mind paying extra for a combo disk. Anyone else feel this way?

forum tennis, look right.........................................forum tennis, look left
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 60 Old 12-22-2006, 05:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
YOU'RE CRAZY!!!! Just kidding.

The only problem with combo discs is the price and the way they are being marketed. The discs themselves can be very handy.

Jeff

Gamertag - Ktulu1

"Assiduus usus uni rei deditus et ingenium et artem saepe vincit" - Cicero
post #3 of 60 Old 12-22-2006, 05:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Nope, I hate them. I buy HD DVDs cuz I want HD, not SD. I hate paying more for something I don't use, plus I miss the artwork side of the disc.

HD Media Keen Videosaurus
post #4 of 60 Old 12-22-2006, 06:05 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

That's the tradeoff with the combo disks. Some people will use the feature, and some won't. I would, however, like to see the prices a little lower on them. Oh well, its the price we early adopters have to pay....

forum tennis, look right.........................................forum tennis, look left
post #5 of 60 Old 12-22-2006, 06:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
You asked for it: you're crazy.

I don't like two-sided discs. I don't like the sd discs that have widescreen on one side and fullscreen on the other side. Most of the time I put on the wrong side first and then have to turn it over to get what I want.
post #6 of 60 Old 12-22-2006, 06:13 AM
Advanced Member

I don't really like them. Price isn't really that bad considering it's a few dollars more but I really like disc art and hate flippers
post #7 of 60 Old 12-22-2006, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brajesh View Post

Nope, I hate them. I buy HD DVDs cuz I want HD, not SD. I hate paying more for something I don't use, plus I miss the artwork side of the disc.

I agree!

I find it hard to watch any non hd now that I have my optoma HD81! I have 3 hd tv's in my house, but I will only watch movies on the 115" screen!
I will no longer buy any sd material.

It would be like being married to Angelina Jolie, and cheating on her with the girl who works at the Wendy's drive through!

Tony G.
post #8 of 60 Old 12-22-2006, 07:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: guarding my retirement igloo...with a McMillan TAC-50 long range sniper rifle
Hate them. Too much $$$ wasted, when I dont want the SD. If I really wanted a SD DVD that is not available on HD I can rent it. HD is what I want to pay for, not for the SD surcharge.

You do not stop playing because you get old...
You get old because you stop playing.
post #9 of 60 Old 12-22-2006, 07:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Like'em if price is is close, renting them is the same! I don't mind flippers, never looked at disc art in terms of appreciating it in any way. Can see the value of both. With one HD DVD point of entry and 5 points of SD DVD entry in the house it's nice to have both and it will be a while before those 5 are replaced with HD DVD/BD's.
post #10 of 60 Old 12-22-2006, 07:51 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 12
It would make more sense if it:

- was done for ALL titles... so the label would say "compatible with standard and HD players"... end the confusion and the returns of people saying "this doesn't play in my DVD player, and I have one of those fancy HD-upconverting players that you recommended last year"

- replaced the SD discs... then people would be building their HD collection before they even had a HDTV or a HD player.

But they've got to get the costs down... it's tough enough to pay $20-$29 for a HD title. Even tougher to pay $30-$35 for a combo. Especially for a non-new-release title... and it adds insult to injury if it's a title that you probably already have on SD.
post #11 of 60 Old 12-22-2006, 07:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Anyone who hates them probably does not have Kids. Combo discs are great for Kids movies, and even normal movies, coz the work in the MiniVan!
post #12 of 60 Old 12-22-2006, 07:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: guarding my retirement igloo...with a McMillan TAC-50 long range sniper rifle
Quote:
Originally Posted by YONEXSP View Post

Anyone who hates them probably does not have Kids. Combo discs are great for Kids movies, and even normal movies, coz the work in the MiniVan!

Until the "kids" scratch you HD side.... . Much better just to make a copy of a SD for the kids.

You do not stop playing because you get old...
You get old because you stop playing.
post #13 of 60 Old 12-22-2006, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick99 View Post

You asked for it: you're crazy.

I don't like two-sided discs. I don't like the sd discs that have widescreen on one side and fullscreen on the other side. Most of the time I put on the wrong side first and then have to turn it over to get what I want.

haha, i thought i was the only one. i hate this, they have them labeled wrong "side A: WIDE SCREEN, side B: fullscreen" but the discs isn't labeled with an A or B and i always put it on the wrong side.
post #14 of 60 Old 12-22-2006, 08:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinker View Post

Until the "kids" scratch you HD side.... . Much better just to make a copy of a SD for the kids.

You can do this with the SD side of a combo, of course.

Vote with your wallet. Don't buy Cinavia-infected Blu-ray Discs! Why pay a premium for pseudo-lossless audio damaged by an intrusive watermark in the audible spectrum?
post #15 of 60 Old 12-22-2006, 08:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I like them. I have used the combo feature on ever combo disc I have purchased to date as well.
post #16 of 60 Old 12-22-2006, 08:34 AM

The price of combo discs ARE bad, typically costing 27.95 versus 19.99. That is $8 more on average, they need to charge up to 23.95 at most retailers instead of 27.95.
post #17 of 60 Old 12-22-2006, 09:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by janogsaen View Post

The price of combo discs ARE bad, typically costing 27.95 versus 19.99. That is $8 more on average, they need to charge up to 23.95 at most retailers instead of 27.95.

You do realize that Fox Blu-ray discs are $27.95 and you don't get the benefit of of playing back the discs in any DVD player.

I like Combos but I'm waiting for them to give way to Twin Format which is a single sided Combo disc. That way disc art returns and there are no problems deciphering which side to put in. I expect that we see a transition to TF next year.
post #18 of 60 Old 12-22-2006, 09:36 AM
AVS Special Member

I like the concept of combo discs, esp. since I rip the DVD side to my computer/iPod (which wouldn't be an issue if managed copy were implemented on HD DVD at this time).

However I don't like the price.
post #19 of 60 Old 12-22-2006, 10:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phyba_optikz View Post

haha, i thought i was the only one. i hate this, they have them labeled wrong "side A: WIDE SCREEN, side B: fullscreen" but the discs isn't labeled with an A or B and i always put it on the wrong side.

I really don't see how you guys can get this wrong.

If you always take it out of the player and put it in the box the same way... I just don't see where the confusion comes into play. Maybe the first time you use it you could get it wrong, but not after that.

Anyway, I like the combo idea, but not the price. Phantom of the Opera is a good example of why. My daughter wants this movie, but I don't care for it at all. I would rather buy the HD DVD version for the PQ/AQ, but she doesn't have an HDTV or HD DVD player in her room.
post #20 of 60 Old 12-22-2006, 10:17 AM

My Stained Glass Christmas has good labeling. "HD DVD flip over for SD DVD" Nice music and pictures.

I do use the DVD side in the mini player in the travel trailer, but I don't like the price.
post #21 of 60 Old 12-22-2006, 10:38 AM
AVS Special Member

I have hundreds of DVDs of titles that aren't available in HD (on either format). Those titles outnumber my HD titles by almost 10 to 1. If I want to watch something on a laptop or a bedroom TV, why would I want to watch one of the relatively few titles I have in HD? I'll just watch something that isn't in HD, or better yet, will never be available in HD because it wasn't shot on film or HD video.
post #22 of 60 Old 12-22-2006, 10:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Because in your bedroom, travel trailer, or second home, you may be in the mood for a particular title and if that title is an HD-DVD / SD-DVD combo disc your good to go.
post #23 of 60 Old 12-22-2006, 10:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 328
love the concept, love the implementation, hate the price difference of (usually) $8 between the combo and non-combo versions.

follow my A/V tweets @davidsusilo

ISF, THX, CEDIA, Control4 & HAA certified
Reviewer for TED, QAV, AUVI & DownUnder Audio Magazine

my (yet to be completed) BD list
my home theatre

post #24 of 60 Old 12-22-2006, 10:53 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I believe its a general consensus that we hate the price difference. My question is what price do you think is legitimate for the combo disks? I personally would buy more if they were about $5 (instead of $8 to $10) more than the non combo versions.

post #25 of 60 Old 12-22-2006, 11:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 328
I think the new combo pricing from Universal is acceptable (Amazon's $24 as opposed to $20 non-combo). Ideally, for me, is no more than $2 difference, which is already more than the manufacturing cost difference. Furthermore, I already own most 'older' movies on SD DVD anyway.

follow my A/V tweets @davidsusilo

ISF, THX, CEDIA, Control4 & HAA certified
Reviewer for TED, QAV, AUVI & DownUnder Audio Magazine

my (yet to be completed) BD list
my home theatre

post #26 of 60 Old 12-22-2006, 11:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turansformer View Post

I believe its a general consensus that we hate the price difference. My question is what price do you think is legitimate for the combo disks? I personally would buy more if they were about $5 (instead of $8 to $10) more than the non combo versions.

Well, actually they are only $5 more (or $6, if you compare Universal's catalog combos to Warner's catalog non-combos), at least in terms of MSRP. The problem is that the B&M stores aren't discounting them enough. This same issue comes up with the separate 1- and 2-disc versions of DVDs. The 2-disc version might be only a couple of dollars more than the 1-disc version, but the street price ends up being several dollars different.
post #27 of 60 Old 12-22-2006, 12:52 PM

I think they are great and if all HD-DVDs were priced at $19.99 I would buy more.

Toshiba HD-XA2
PS3
post #28 of 60 Old 12-22-2006, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Combo's are fine as long as they dont charge more. This is a way to get consumers to buy the new format dicsc, if priced/marketed properly/
post #29 of 60 Old 12-22-2006, 01:47 PM
AVS Special Member

I love combo disks. But dont like the price. Make all HD DVD's combos and charge $19.99 for em

Graham
post #30 of 60 Old 12-22-2006, 01:58 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Johnson View Post

I love combo disks. But dont like the price. Make all HD DVD's combos and charge $19.99 for em

I think that's the sweet spot for a successful mass market.

If HDDVD would make every title a combo (especially if they were same-sided twin-format instead of a flipper-disc), then the easy buzz would be "choose HDDVD because they also play in our old DVD players".

Even the blue-shirted sales guys could explain that simple benefit to every J6P and soccer-mom... if you put it in a DVD player it plays DVD quality, when you buy a HDDVD player for your HDTV, you'll get HD from the same disc.

Even funnier, the sales guys could also truthfully say that HDDVDs would also play in a Blu-Ray player (as upscaled DVD though)
Reply HD DVD Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page