Hulk HD-DVD fills in entire 16:9 widescreen, isnt it suppose to be 2:35:1? - Page 5 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #121 of 132 Old 01-10-2007, 01:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 38
VAHOBACO, I completely agree with you. Unfortunately it looks like Pincho is still not truly understanding directors intent , it basically has come down to what he wants not what the director wants. As much as he tries to say it is directors choice to choose 2 different AR's he's just going to go on about his "revolutionary" idea which will basically just satisfy people's desire to fill their screen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 132 Old 01-10-2007, 02:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by wormraper View Post

VAHOBACO, I completely agree with you. Unfortunately it looks like Pincho is still not truly understanding directors intent , it basically has come down to what he wants not what the director wants. As much as he tries to say it is directors choice to choose 2 different AR's he's just going to go on about his "revolutionary" idea which will basically just satisfy people's desire to fill their screen

Director's intent is available with black bars. You can remove them if you want. Directors already are stuck with Cinemax, and Sky Movies showing the full screen version. So why not allow them on HD?

Although people on here want OAR, they cannot hide the fact that they were interested in the Cinemax King Kong picture. If they had an option to turn off the bars, and they were feeling a bit bored, I'm sure that quite a lot of AV enthusiasts would like to at least watch a few scenes in full screen, just to see what King Kong looks like really big!

I just don't see the future with black bars. I have never seen a film like Total Recall showing a futuristic screen with black bars. I don't imagine Heaven with black bars on their screens. The future is bright, the future is HD options.

Genius is an insult to my intelligence!

post #123 of 132 Old 01-10-2007, 02:29 PM

Is there a list of HD-DVD's that natively fill out 16:9 HD displays with out letterboxes?
post #124 of 132 Old 01-10-2007, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pincho View Post

Director's intent is available with black bars. You can remove them if you want. Directors already are stuck with Cinemax, and Sky Movies showing the full screen version. So why not allow them on HD?

Although people on here want OAR, they cannot hide the fact that they were interested in the Cinemax King Kong picture. If they had an option to turn off the bars, and they were feeling a bit bored, I'm sure that quite a lot of AV enthusiasts would like to at least watch a few scenes in full screen, just to see what King Kong looks like really big!

I just don't see the future with black bars. I have never seen a film like Total Recall showing a futuristic screen with black bars. I don't imagine Heaven with black bars on their screens. The future is bright, the future is HD options.

Sky Movies rarely show films in 16:9 if the have an OAR of 2.35.

You do realise your not on the Kong thread, your on the Hulk thread?

Kong isn't bigger in the 16:9 Cinemax version you just a bit more of him which at times has the opposite effect, when the frame is on the actress and not much of Kong is seen it gives the effect of him being huge.

If Heaven isn't OAR, send me to Hell.
post #125 of 132 Old 01-10-2007, 03:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by T800 View Post

You do realise your not on the Kong thread, your on the Hulk thread?

By the 5th post the thread had turned into an aspect ratio thread, and aspect ratios are in the title, and the original post.

post #126 of 132 Old 01-10-2007, 03:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Honestly, I'm starting to get suspicious that Pinch is just trolling right now. Everyone and their mother, brother and distant relatives have shot down his idea left and right and he still keeps egging us on. Time to lock this thread, it has served it's purpose and degenerated into an argument between Pincho and just about everyone else.
post #127 of 132 Old 01-10-2007, 04:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Pincho is persistent though. You have to admire that.

I think it's inevitable that someday we will have the option of watching unmatted versions of most 2.35:1 Super-35 films at the click of a button. As more and more people with blackbarophobia buy HD sets the demand for films to fill their screens will increase. The overlay function is certainly there. All you need is the transfer to be properly centered and you're good to go.

Pincho, what do you think of watching 1.85:1 films unmatted?
post #128 of 132 Old 01-11-2007, 12:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kram Sacul View Post

Pincho is persistent though. You have to admire that.

I think it's inevitable that someday we will have the option of watching unmatted versions of most 2.35:1 Super-35 films at the click of a button. As more and more people with blackbarophobia buy HD sets the demand for films to fill their screens will increase. The overlay function is certainly there. All you need is the transfer to be properly centered and you're good to go.

Pincho, what do you think of watching 1.85:1 films unmatted?

You mean unmatted for 4:3 viewers?

http://www.dvdactive.com/reviews/dvd...treatment.html

Looks like you loose the edges. It's not framed at the sides very well. Prefer it cropped to 4:3 properly. The height looks OK. But then we would get a tiny picture on our 16:9 tv's, and huge black bars at the sides.

post #129 of 132 Old 01-11-2007, 02:14 AM
AVS Special Member

The reviewer talks just like you, Pincho:

"My only reservation about the video is that Shock Treatment was shot open matte, which means it was made widescreen after it was filmed and in doing so removed a substantial amount of image."

Well, yeah. Still composed for 1.85:1.
post #130 of 132 Old 01-11-2007, 03:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kram Sacul View Post

The reviewer talks just like you, Pincho:

"My only reservation about the video is that Shock Treatment was shot open matte, which means it was made widescreen after it was filmed and in doing so removed a substantial amount of image."

Well, yeah. Still composed for 1.85:1.

I have awards in photography, and computer graphics by the way. I know a lot about framing. My method keeps the horizontal framing in tact. Vertical framing is opened. Horizontal framing usually consists of using doorways, trees, mountains, people, vertical lines. Those are very important. Vertical framing consists mostly of people's heads, tree tops, sky lines, buildings, eyes, horizontal lines. New lines appear when you open something up vertically, or the original lines are still there, but lower.

Eg: King Kong..again:

Kong's eyes framed become kong's wrinkles in his forehead framed.
Kong's forehead framed becomes Kong's head framed.

Other instances in the film are when treetops are cut off at the top, using my method makes a better frame. Empire State Building has New York out of shot, in my version New York is better framed.

Yes.. there is no better frame than the directors vision, but the director was stuck with a single aspect ratio. There is no way that he could get a close up of Kong in 2.35, and frame it as well as he could in 16:9, because Kong's head is shaped like a 16:9 image.

So what I am really talking about is that no Aspect Ratio is as good as 2 aspect ratios working together. You will get some parts of King Kong looking better in 16:9, than in 2:35. It's not Peter Jackson's fault. It's a problem with using a really wide screen for a really tall monkey.

post #131 of 132 Old 01-11-2007, 04:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pincho View Post

There is no way that he could get a close up of Kong in 2.35, and frame it as well as he could in 16:9, because Kong's head is shaped like a 16:9 image.

WTF???? I think I've found out why we can't agree on this issue, your watching a different film to the rest of us!

Having the camera close on Kong and only seeing parts of him gives him a larger appearance.
post #132 of 132 Old 01-11-2007, 04:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by T800 View Post

WTF???? I think I've found out why we can't agree on this issue, your watching a different film to the rest of us!

Having the camera close on Kong and only seeing parts of him gives him a larger appearance.

Not really. If you were looking at Kong through your letter box you would not be as afraid as if you were to open the door!

Lol! That's my new motto for HD Black Bar Option.

Reply HD DVD Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page