Where Have You Bought/Buy The Majority of Your HD-DVD Discs? (NEW) - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: Where Have You Bought/Buy The Majority of Your HD-DVD Discs?
Amazon.com 70 48.95%
Buy.com 14 9.79%
B&M Store 41 28.67%
Other 18 12.59%
Voters: 143. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 44 Old 12-29-2006, 07:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Where Have You Bought/Buy The Majority of Your HD-DVD Discs?

~Josh

hidefpreview
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 Old 12-29-2006, 07:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by beatboy77 View Post

Where Have You Bought/Buy The Majority of Your HD-DVD Discs?

~Josh

What the hell is the point of THIS poll now?? Polls have merit if a reason is given why they should even exist. What is YOUR reason?? I'm holding my breath...
post #3 of 44 Old 12-29-2006, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5150zx View Post

What the hell is the point of THIS poll now?? Polls have merit if a reason is given why they should even exist. What is YOUR reason?? I'm holding my breath...

Wow did someone piss in your cornflakes this morning? No reason to be an ass..hes just curious
post #4 of 44 Old 12-29-2006, 08:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slcsnkman View Post

Wow did someone piss in your cornflakes this morning? No reason to be an ass..hes just curious

He's posted the same poll twice. He's trying to prove that most HD DVD supporters buy their movies from Amazon.com.

Please feel free to visit MidnightWatcher's Blogspot or follow my NEWS feed on Twitter.
post #5 of 44 Old 12-29-2006, 08:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slcsnkman View Post

Hey genius, look around in this section of the forum, he's posted THREE polls(that I see) that are basically the same. And I stand by what I said, what is the point of polling about where you buy HD DVD or BR(for that matter). He has a poll in the BR section as well! Explain the point of the poll please???

Let's see(as an example):

60% Amazon
20% Buy.com
15% B & M stores
5% Other

That's a helluva poll!!
post #6 of 44 Old 12-29-2006, 08:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I was asked by several members of both forums to relist the poll so that it is a public poll. I asked Mark Rubin if there was a way to change the current poll to public and said unfortunately there was not. He said I would have to start a new poll if it was to be public.

~Josh

hidefpreview
post #7 of 44 Old 12-29-2006, 08:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightWatcher View Post

He's posted the same poll twice. He's trying to prove that most HD DVD supporters buy their movies from Amazon.com.

No, I am just curious. It will be interesting however to see how it plays out.

~Josh

hidefpreview
post #8 of 44 Old 12-29-2006, 08:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

~Josh

The reason to start a public poll is because YOU'RE curious, is that what you're saying? Again, I'm still waiting for a legit reason to find out where people purchase there hi def discs. Curious doesn't cut it.

Here's an example:

Buy.com may be popular NOW because of the google checkout.
When that ends/or is expired, no one with half a brain should
buy from them because Amazon has much better prices(as a whole).
So any results your meaningless poll has are immediately skewed
by the end of the google checkout. So can we expect yet another
poll that eliminates buy.com from the list?? Seriously, if there was
a legit reason for this poll, it WOULD have merit. There isn't!
post #9 of 44 Old 12-29-2006, 08:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The reason to start a public poll is because YOU'RE curious, is that what you're saying? Again, I'm still waiting for a legit reason to find out where people purchase there hi def discs. Curious doesn't cut it.

Here's an example:

Buy.com may be popular NOW because of the google checkout.
When that ends/or is expired, no one with half a brain should
buy from them because Amazon has much better prices(as a whole).
So any results your meaningless poll has are immediately skewed
by the end of the google checkout. So can we expect yet another
poll that eliminates buy.com from the list?? Seriously, if there was
a legit reason for this poll, it WOULD have merit. There isn't!

No, the reason is because I received several PM's from both forums asking for a public poll. That is what I did. I honestly just want to see how each camp buys their discs. If more conclusions can be made from the data collected, then so be it, but for now lets see how the polls go.

5150zx - Why all the hostility and despiration in your posts? It makes come off as sounding like a dolt.

~Josh

hidefpreview
post #10 of 44 Old 12-29-2006, 08:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

~Josh

I know, you're just curious to see if you can somehow prove that HD DVD owners buy primarily from Amazon.

Please feel free to visit MidnightWatcher's Blogspot or follow my NEWS feed on Twitter.
post #11 of 44 Old 12-29-2006, 08:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

No, the reason is because I received several PM's from both forums asking for a public poll. That is what I did. I honestly just want to see how each camp buys their discs. If more conclusions can be made from the data collected, then so be it, but for now lets see how the polls go.

5150zx - Why all the hostility and despiration in your posts? It makes come off as sounding like a dolt.

~Josh

edit: Nevermind that was Midnightwatcher's Poll. Here's Beatboy's poll from a few days back:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=775887
post #12 of 44 Old 12-29-2006, 08:44 AM
Advanced Member

The last six months was from amazon.com but now Best Buy has improved that I can walk in Tuesday's and find a new HD DVD release.
post #13 of 44 Old 12-29-2006, 09:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightWatcher View Post

I know, you're just curious to see if you can somehow prove that HD DVD owners buy primarily from Amazon.

Midnight you are really stuck on this theory of yours. Is it perhaps you who would like to prove HD-DVD owners buy primarily on Amazon?

hidefpreview
post #14 of 44 Old 12-29-2006, 10:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

~Josh

Desperate?? This coming from someone who posts multiple polls in the BR and HD forums and then can't give a true legitimate reason why they exist. You're polls are retarded. Please, give us a hypothetical as to what conclusion(s) could be garnered if and when enough votes came in? The data collected would show what??

Let's say 100 people vote and 80 vote that they buy their HD DVD's at Amazon and the other 20 buy at B & M. What can we deduce from this? Perhaps the 80 have internet access to buy from Amazon and the other 20 don't have any internet access? Or the 80 are MUCH smarter than the 20 because Amazon(as a whole) is considerably cheaper than B & M and you don't pay sales tax? Or, the 80 are dumber than the 20 because they have to wait a week to 10 days to get their product while the 20 get instant gratification(albeit at a higher price)? Point being, you could deduce dozens of 'possible' conclusions to such a generic poll. NONE of them would have any validity and ALL of them would have validity. Perhaps instead of name calling, you could give legit conclusions to these potential poll results? I'm STILL waiting..................................................... ..........Josh? Hello???
post #15 of 44 Old 12-29-2006, 10:23 AM

is it just me? or can no one else see who voted again?
post #16 of 44 Old 12-29-2006, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Desperate?? This coming from someone who posts multiple polls in the BR and HD forums and then can't give a true legitimate reason why they exist. You're polls are retarded. Please, give us a hypothetical as to what conclusion(s) could be garnered if and when enough votes came in? The data collected would show what??

Let's say 100 people vote and 80 vote that they buy their HD DVD's at Amazon and the other 20 buy at B & M. What can we deduce from this? Perhaps the 80 have internet access to buy from Amazon and the other 20 don't have any internet access? Or the 80 are MUCH smarter than the 20 because Amazon(as a whole) is considerably cheaper than B & M and you don't pay sales tax? Or, the 80 are dumber than the 20 because they have to wait a week to 10 days to get their product while the 20 get instant gratification(albeit at a higher price)? Point being, you could deduce dozens of 'possible' conclusions to such a generic poll. NONE of them would have any validity and ALL of them would have validity. Perhaps instead of name calling, you could give legit conclusions to these potential poll results? I'm STILL waiting..................................................... ..........Josh? Hello???

What I deduced when he created the first thread was that he wanted to prove that the Amazon numbers (TheDVDwars) were useless. When things started looking really bad for BD there was a huge debate that BD proponents try to start claiming that HD-DVD buyers buy most of their stuff from Amazon while BD buyers used Buy.com or B&M. If BD is right then Amzon number are useless because there is a huge discrepancy on how many people between the two formats on the source of the media.
post #17 of 44 Old 12-29-2006, 10:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topweasel View Post

What I deduced when he created the first thread was that he wanted to prove that the Amazon numbers (TheDVDwars) were useless. When things started looking really bad for BD there was a huge debate that BD proponents try to start claiming that HD-DVD buyers buy most of their stuff from Amazon while BD buyers used Buy.com or B&M. If BD is right then Amzon number are useless because there is a huge discrepancy on how many people between the two formats on the source of the media.

Thanks Topweasel, and I am aware as to where he's been going with his polls in both forums. Apparently, he won't/can't admit his motive for them.
post #18 of 44 Old 12-29-2006, 10:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Since this is an Internet based poll, it is assumed all that vote have Internet access.

Once again and I stress, I am conducting each of these polls strictly out of curiosity. I am not after the any scientific conclusions, I am just curious. When have I ever stated anything but?

The results of the polls can be interpreted however anyone wants and we can debate the results, but once again it is a poll of curiosity.

There are many many many polls here on AVS which are similar. Look, they are everywhere. So I ask you this, Why are you so fired-up over these polls? It appears they are shaking your foundation in some manner.

~Josh

hidefpreview
post #19 of 44 Old 12-29-2006, 10:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Isn't this strictly speculation on your part since I have never suggested this? I never even participated in those prior discussions which you mention in your post. Once again, I ask for proof or evidence before you accuse me of anything.

~Josh

hidefpreview
post #20 of 44 Old 12-29-2006, 10:51 AM
AVS Special Member

All of my 15 or so titles I have bought from BB, Target, Wallmart and wife bought Superman Returns from CC.

Blu ray is the best Blah, blah, blah.
post #21 of 44 Old 12-29-2006, 10:59 AM
Advanced Member

the OP is running a campaign against HD DVD; all one needs to do is gloss over his post history
post #22 of 44 Old 12-29-2006, 11:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Isn't this strictly speculation on your part since I have never suggested this? I never even participated in those prior discussions which you mention in your post. Once again, I ask for proof or evidence before you accuse me of anything.

~Josh

Accuse you. I am not accusing you of anything. I do feel whether good or bad every move a person makes has a motive or why else would anyone do anything. I took what you where asking about and tried to make a determination over what the information could be used for. Since you have made it clear you are a BD supporter with a deep down hatred of HD-DVD (who seems to own a player for the sole reason of attempting to come off as Neutral), and I remembered the litany of reasons why thedvdwars shouldn't be used as fair information. I came to the determination that this was why you made these polls.

Honestly the information is useful anyways, and if you are right I would like to know.

As for why this was made Public, I again have to assume that it was done so to make sure HD-DVD fans are not pumping up Amazon on the BD side for the sole reason of keeping the two even, Or BD pumping up Amazon on the HD-DVD side to keep the numbers inflated.

If there was a better reason for this poll then I would expect that CC, Taget, Walmart and BB would all have their own selection.
post #23 of 44 Old 12-29-2006, 12:30 PM
Advanced Member

In any event. This poll makes no sense. Yes, I buy "most" of my movies from Amazon, but that is barely "most". I would say I buy about 55% of my movies from Amazon, but since the poll is so limited in options it shows the numbers scewed towards Amazon. The fact is I try to buy most movies at B&M, but many titles tend to be sold out, or else I would have bought them on the spot.

Do I buy a slightly larger percentage of HD DVDs from Amazon? Yes, barely, but only because I didn't feel like driving all over town. Crappy poll.

By the way, I voted B&M as it is more representative to my shopping habits.

VanillaHD
Simple. Clean. information about high definition
post #24 of 44 Old 12-29-2006, 12:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPowers View Post

In any event. This poll makes no sense. Yes, I buy "most" of my movies from Amazon, but that is barely "most". I would say I buy about 55% of my movies from Amazon, but since the poll is so limited in options it shows the numbers scewed towards Amazon. The fact is I try to buy most movies at B&M, but many titles tend to be sold out, or else I would have bought them on the spot.

Do I buy a slightly larger percentage of HD DVDs from Amazon? Yes, barely, but only because I didn't feel like driving all over town. Crappy poll.

By the way, I voted B&M as it is more representative to my shopping habits.

I guess I do not understand your logic. If this poll makes no sense to you, why did you even participate? Also in your first sentance you say you buy "most" of your HD-DVD discs from Amazon, yet you voted for B&M Store. Did you not read the title of the poll?

~Josh

hidefpreview
post #25 of 44 Old 12-29-2006, 01:39 PM
Advanced Member

I get the majority of them from Amazon, then Walmart, CC, and last but not least BB only if they will price match it. Ordered 6 from Buy.com using google checkout and just started ordering from Tony @ Xploitedcinema.

Samsung 60 F7500

Denon 3808CI

Sony BDP-S790 3D/Bluray

Harmony 900

post #26 of 44 Old 12-29-2006, 09:02 PM
AVS Special Member

So far only two people, aaronwt, and beatboy77 has voted on both and alternated between Amazon on HD-DVD and some thing else on BD.
post #27 of 44 Old 12-29-2006, 09:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So far only two people, aaronwt, and beatboy77 has voted on both and alternated between Amazon on HD-DVD and some thing else on BD.

Did you read my reply to MidnightWatcher on the Blu-ray poll? If so, it explains how I purchased my HD discs.

~Josh

hidefpreview
post #28 of 44 Old 12-29-2006, 09:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Did you read my reply to MidnightWatcher on the Blu-ray poll? If so, it explains how I purchased my HD discs.

~Josh

Did I ask you why? I don't care I am just posting information I find these threads useful and just wanted to keep them clean. As it stands only two have made different votes for different formats. I am currently content with that no matter what reason these people (yourself included) made their votes. The fact is their is no way to prove that you or I actually own any of the hardware or movies so listening to someone posting on a thread their excuse means very little.

Again while I don't trust you I am not going to call you out as liar or make it appoint to disprove you (midnight on the other hand apparently doesn't like you). Midnight I think has perfectly legit reasons for it, but I personally don't like to get into these forum b*tchfests.
post #29 of 44 Old 12-29-2006, 10:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Local BEST BUY so far, but just bought FORBIDDEN PLANET HD-DVD at Amazon because BB seems to never have it in stock, plus Amazon is cheap

Also I've noticed how cheap Target is, so I will be watching there too for other movies
post #30 of 44 Old 12-29-2006, 10:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Beatboy, I know a pole you should have, One up straight up where the sun dosn't shine. Quit causing crap around here and go back to the BD forum.
Reply HD DVD Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page