Ripple Effect: ANOTHER Porn Company Goes HD DVD EXCLUSIVELY! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 123 Old 01-11-2007, 03:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
LAGOSIAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: NEW ORLEANS/ HOUSTON
Posts: 1,045
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sony and the BDA's snobbery of the Digital Playground porn company has rippled all around the porn industry, and is turning the porn industry against them!

Pink Visual and Bangbros editor-in-chief was quoted as "going into a single direction". "HD DVD is the preferred format. Period." He said at CES at the Las Vegas show.

The writer also claims that 12 porn studios have all confirmed to him that they would go HD DVD exclusively!
Some of them even claim that BDs are too expensive to make.

http://www.tgdaily.com/2007/01/11/ce...hddvd_blu_ray/

Quote:


Las Vegas (NV) - Knowing their audience quite well, the adult entertainment industry holds their annual get together in Las Vegas to coincide with the CES. There is also a very pertinent crossover between the adult and tech industries - porn has a tendency to drive, and be driven, by technology. Which means HD DVD when it comes to high-def.

Quite famously in the war between Betamax and VHS the latter won especially because the adult industry preferred it. If you've been around long enough, you probably remember that the very early home video rental stores were primarily responsible for driving Betamax out of the market. And those stores carried almost exclusively pornographic content.

Although the market environments from then do not really compare to today's home video market, parallels are drawn between the Betamax-VHS battle to the ongoing and escalating fight between Blu-ray and HD DVD. One of the key questions at this year's CES actually is "Which high-def format will win the current format war - Blu-ray or HD DVD?" Surprisingly, it seems that there is no such question in the minds of the adult industry luminaries.

Putting myself through the arduous trek through the floor of the adult expo I did a quick straw poll on, the virtues of HD DVD versus Blu-ray, and the answer from a dozen companies, big and small, including Pink Visual and Bangbros editor-in-chief, is going into a single direction: HD DVD is the preferred format. Period.

One of the big problems they have with Blu-ray is its expense, followed by its market share. "Blu-ray has superior quality, yes," said a spokesperson for porn studio Bangbros, "but HD DVD is easier to produce, cheaper to produce and there are more HD DVD players in homes than there are Blu-ray players, for example in the Xbox 360."

Pink Visual heavily complained about the fact that Blu-ray discs cannot be replicated and a range of other studios, who did not want to be mentioned by name indicated that the cost of going with Blu-ray cancels the technology as a possible HD solution for this industry. "Only bigger studios can afford Blu-ray, and even then it's not economical," we were told.

It would seem that either Blu-ray has to do some catching up very quickly. But we got the strange feeling that HD DVD has won the format war already, at least in the porn industry
.


KEEP BOTH FORMATS ALIVE!
This translates to better PQ & AQ.
LAGOSIAN is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 123 Old 01-11-2007, 03:51 PM
Senior Member
 
Apollo 13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: ohio
Posts: 283
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
but why would anyone want to pay $50 for porn in HD? That's just to damn expensive and I don't see many ppl buying it.
Apollo 13 is offline  
post #3 of 123 Old 01-11-2007, 03:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
LAGOSIAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: NEW ORLEANS/ HOUSTON
Posts: 1,045
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollo 13 View Post

but why would anyone want to pay $50 for porn in HD? That's just to damn expensive and I don't see many ppl buying it.

Go online to some of the sites that sell porn movies and get a stcker shock. Some people would pay anything for porn. Why do you think porn is a multi billion dollar industry?

KEEP BOTH FORMATS ALIVE!
This translates to better PQ & AQ.
LAGOSIAN is offline  
post #4 of 123 Old 01-11-2007, 04:00 PM
Senior Member
 
Julian Lalor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 232
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Doesn't everyone just download porn these days? I can't imagine that porn is going to do a whole lot to win this format war.
Julian Lalor is offline  
post #5 of 123 Old 01-11-2007, 04:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
LAGOSIAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: NEW ORLEANS/ HOUSTON
Posts: 1,045
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian Lalor View Post

Doesn't everyone just download porn these days? I can't imagine that porn is going to do a whole lot to win this format war.

So that's how you get yours?

KEEP BOTH FORMATS ALIVE!
This translates to better PQ & AQ.
LAGOSIAN is offline  
post #6 of 123 Old 01-11-2007, 04:04 PM
Senior Member
 
FlasHBurN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 482
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian Lalor View Post

Doesn't everyone just download porn these days? I can't imagine that porn is going to do a whole lot to win this format war.

Yeah, well, think again!

http://www.vinpowerdigital.com/NewsA...f/OTO_June.pdf
Quote:
" But Adult Video News (AVN), trade magazine for the adult video industry, recently released its first-ever statistical look at the market. It pegged 2005 adult video sales and rentals in the US at $4.24 billion. The Video Software Dealers Association, trade association for home video sales and rentals - not including adult - said US consumers spent $24.3 billion buying and renting DVDs and VHS cassettes.That would mean adult sales and rentals in the US represented 14.9% of all US home video sales and rentals in 2005."

FlasHBurN is offline  
post #7 of 123 Old 01-11-2007, 04:08 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Capek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 3,236
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
There is a porn insider that posts here on occasion, jlaures is his nick I think, that said months ago that if there wasn't a porn BD on display at the adult entertainment expo, then most likely porn would never exist on the format, mainly because even if the cost and lack of access to replicators is overcome sometime in the future, the adult industry wouldn't want to alienate it's customers by putting out disks on the format they didn't start with. So if HD-DVD is the initial choice by the industry, they'll stick with it for the long haul. So it looks like he is one insider that has been on the money shot - I mean money.
Capek is offline  
post #8 of 123 Old 01-11-2007, 04:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
LAGOSIAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: NEW ORLEANS/ HOUSTON
Posts: 1,045
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlasHBurN View Post

Yeah, well, think again!

http://www.vinpowerdigital.com/NewsA...f/OTO_June.pdf

It seems that the BDA by snobbing the porn industry are handing the war over by themselves doesn't it?

KEEP BOTH FORMATS ALIVE!
This translates to better PQ & AQ.
LAGOSIAN is offline  
post #9 of 123 Old 01-11-2007, 04:17 PM
AVS Special Member
 
homerx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: ramsey, MN
Posts: 4,718
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
In time the prices will come down, they know pepole will pay a lot a first.
Many of the Hd-DVD out now and comming out are multi_disc sets as well..
homerx is offline  
post #10 of 123 Old 01-11-2007, 04:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
LAGOSIAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: NEW ORLEANS/ HOUSTON
Posts: 1,045
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This one was just posted on the HardOCP website:

Quote:
Thursday January 11, 2007Adult DVD Industry Supports HD-DVD
The crew at AVS Forums has great coverage of all things CES this year, including this story from Tuesday that says the porn industry is backing HD-DVD instead of Blu-ray. Don't feel bad, I laughed at first toountil I read the part about the industry sold over $4 billion in adult DVDs last year. Wow.

Who cares? Well, a lot of technology developers should. Some $4.28 billion worth of adult videos were sold or rented in 2005, according to Adult Video News. About 1 billion adult videos were rented in 2005. And statistics show that there is affluence among porn aficionados. Some 35% of them have incomes over $75,000. That's enough to buy a high-def DVD player or two.


http://www.hardocp.com/news.html?new...xobmV3cywsLDE=

KEEP BOTH FORMATS ALIVE!
This translates to better PQ & AQ.
LAGOSIAN is offline  
post #11 of 123 Old 01-11-2007, 04:22 PM
 
briankmonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 13,959
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
One of the big problems they have with Blu-ray is its expense, followed by its market share. "Blu-ray has superior quality, yes," said a spokesperson for porn studio Bangbros, "but HD DVD is easier to produce, cheaper to produce and there are more HD DVD players in homes than there are Blu-ray players, for example in the Xbox 360."

He seems to think that every 360 has a built in HD-DVD (the way it should have been), lol
briankmonkey is offline  
post #12 of 123 Old 01-11-2007, 04:25 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Capek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 3,236
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by briankmonkey View Post

He seems to think that every 360 has a built in HD-DVD (the way it should have been), lol

Or more likely he figured it would be understood that he was referring to add on, and didn't bother spelling it out for the nit picky out there.
Capek is offline  
post #13 of 123 Old 01-11-2007, 04:27 PM
AVS Special Member
 
vancouver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: BC Canada
Posts: 3,997
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This will attract more CE support. No question.
vancouver is offline  
post #14 of 123 Old 01-11-2007, 04:33 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Capek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 3,236
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by vancouver View Post

This will attract more CE support. No question.

As well as open a market that will just devour the cheap chinese players as they hit the market.
Capek is offline  
post #15 of 123 Old 01-11-2007, 04:33 PM
 
briankmonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 13,959
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capek View Post

Or more likely he figured it would be understood that he was referring to add on, and didn't bother spelling it out for the nit picky out there.

Not nit-picky, just taking into the entire context of what he said, which included "Their are more HD-DVD players in homes than there are blu-ray players".. His statement would be true if the HD-DVD was included in every 360. However that is not the case..

Quote:
"One of the big problems they have with Blu-ray is its expense, followed by its market share. "Blu-ray has superior quality, yes," said a spokesperson for porn studio Bangbros, "but HD DVD is easier to produce, cheaper to produce and there are more HD DVD players in homes than there are Blu-ray players, for example in the Xbox 360." "

briankmonkey is offline  
post #16 of 123 Old 01-11-2007, 04:36 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Capek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 3,236
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by briankmonkey View Post

Not nit-picky, just taking into the entire context of what he said, which included "Their are more HD-DVD players in homes than there are blu-ray players".. His statement would be true if the HD-DVD was included in every 360. However that is not the case..

You're right. Saying it's more likely that the spokesman for a studio, even if it is a porn studio, would not know that every 360 didn't have a HD-DVD drive in it then that he simply left out the five letters that spell add on is not nit picky. It's idiotic.

Thanks for correcting me.
Capek is offline  
post #17 of 123 Old 01-11-2007, 04:39 PM
 
briankmonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 13,959
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capek View Post

You're right. Saying it's more likely that the spokesman for a studio, even if it is a porn studio, would not know that every 360 didn't have a HD-DVD drive in it then that he simply left out the five letters that spell add on is not nit picky. It's idiotic.

Thanks for correcting me.

lol, man you've been in such a hostile mood the last few months. So defensive about every little thing. This must be "serious business",
briankmonkey is offline  
post #18 of 123 Old 01-11-2007, 04:43 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Capek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 3,236
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by briankmonkey View Post

lol, man you've been in such a hostile mood the last few months. So defensive about every little thing. This must be "serious business",

Ya, I'm joking around about money shots, and you come in quibbling over some guy forgetting to say add on.

Sure, your assessment of things is right on the money. lol
Capek is offline  
post #19 of 123 Old 01-11-2007, 04:45 PM
Senior Member
 
Scmedic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 418
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
http://www.sgknox.com/2007/01/11/no-porn-on-blu-ray/

Check it!

XBL: Axis Radius ::::::::::: PSN: GMoore34
:::::Proud Sammy A850 Owner:::::
Scmedic is offline  
post #20 of 123 Old 01-11-2007, 04:46 PM
Senior Member
 
Kolgar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 383
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by briankmonkey View Post

He seems to think that every 360 has a built in HD-DVD (the way it should have been), lol

Thanks for your valuable contribution as always.

On topic: Don't change the channel yet, folks - things are getting interesting!
Kolgar is offline  
post #21 of 123 Old 01-11-2007, 04:48 PM
Senior Member
 
Julian Lalor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 232
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I don't know whether I'd believe the words of a porn producer. The other companies aren't saying Sony won't allow porn to be replicated on BD (in fact, there already is BD porn in Japan) but that it was too expensive. One of the reasons the porn industry is so profitable is that they produce their films so cheaply. They're not really interested in quality because they know people will buy it no matter what it looks like. They just want to get their product out there for the least cost, which would make HD DVD a natural choice for those relatively few films that have been filmed in HD.
Julian Lalor is offline  
post #22 of 123 Old 01-11-2007, 04:53 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Capek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 3,236
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian Lalor View Post

I don't know whether I'd believe the words of a porn producer. The other companies aren't saying Sony won't allow porn to be replicated on BD (in fact, there already is BD porn in Japan) but that it was too expensive. One of the reasons the porn industry is so profitable is that they produce their films so cheaply. They're not really interested in quality because they know people will buy it no matter what it looks like. They just want to get their product out there for the least cost, which would make HD DVD a natural choice for those, relatively few, films that have been filmed in HD.

No, you're wrong. At least according to this list of HD content that is just on this one I guess on demand TV service.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=774092

Plus the studio that is releasing the 4 HD-DVDs this month has said that they plan to be releasing for HD-DVDs a month this year. That's plenty of HD porn content if you ask me.
Capek is offline  
post #23 of 123 Old 01-11-2007, 04:58 PM
AVS Special Member
 
eapleitez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 2,472
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
He also says that BD is better quality, which we also know to be untrue.

_____________________________
eapleitez is offline  
post #24 of 123 Old 01-11-2007, 05:00 PM
Newbie
 
Dundidit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anyone who wants porn just downloads it on the Internet these days. And this is coming from a porn nut. No porn nut I know has a video porn collection anymore--it's all gone digital download. There is so much "HD" porn available for download I don't even know where to begin.

This brings on a bigger question: I can't believe we've gone from respected studios like Lionsgate "might possibly be going neutral" and possibilities of some nice new CE manufacturers to save HDDVD to now porn and Chinese players. Wow these are desperate times for this forum. As someone who has been reading behind the scenes for the last many months, the quick downfall and desperation of "what's going to help HDDVD win the war" has really become an unbelievable thing to witness. We've been reduced to sleezy porn and junk players from sweatshops (with no SKUs, no release dates, and no prices mind you!) as the cavalry to push what was the more respectable format into popularity?
Dundidit is offline  
post #25 of 123 Old 01-11-2007, 05:04 PM
Senior Member
 
Julian Lalor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 232
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capek View Post

No, you're wrong. At least according to this list of HD content that is just on this one I guess on demand TV service.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=774092

Plus the studio that is releasing the 4 HD-DVDs this month has said that they plan to be releasing for HD-DVDs a month this year. That's plenty of HD porn content if you ask me.

That's not a lot when you consider how much porn is produced. 99% of porn was made in SD video until fairly recently. The HD material is certainly on the uptake, but it's going to take a long time for HD content to come anywhere near the catalog of SD shot porn. And there is porn on BD in Japan. I shudder to think of the sort of porn the Japanese watch (I saw 5 minutes of an an anime rape porn video a few years back and needed therapy afterwards), but it's out there.
Julian Lalor is offline  
post #26 of 123 Old 01-11-2007, 05:32 PM
Advanced Member
 
giza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 564
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dundidit View Post

Anyone who wants porn just downloads it on the Internet these days. And this is coming from a porn nut. No porn nut I know has a video porn collection anymore--it's all gone digital download. There is so much "HD" porn available for download I don't even know where to begin.

This brings on a bigger question: I can't believe we've gone from respected studios like Lionsgate "might possibly be going neutral" and possibilities of some nice new CE manufacturers to save HDDVD to now porn and Chinese players. Wow these are desperate times for this forum. As someone who has been reading behind the scenes for the last many months, the quick downfall and desperation of "what's going to help HDDVD win the war" has really become an unbelievable thing to witness. We've been reduced to sleezy porn and junk players from sweatshops (with no SKUs, no release dates, and no prices mind you!) as the cavalry to push what was the more respectable format into popularity?


Dundidit, I agree with you to an extent. Just stopped by my local Best Buy to check the water for how hot the PS3 (according to most the cheapest and best Blu-Ray player) and the guy told me that the demand is relatively low. The initial hype that was caused by the PS3 to gradually slowing and as soon as less expensive HD-DVD players hit the market, HD-DVD will recover from any damage that was caused the hyped marketing at CES. I personally own a PS3 and haven't used it as much as SONY may have intended it to be used for Blu-Ray. Purchased one Blu-Ray move (X-Men III) and was not overly impressed because HD-DVD was my first viewing of the two and Blu-Ray would have really had to be drastically better for me to want to buy more.

Now, knowing how many perves there are in this world, porn being exclusive to HD-DVD in all reality is a huge blow to Blu-Ray. Everyone does not download all of their porn. That's like saying no one is buying a car because they can save the money and right the bus.

Sooner or later, the BR exclusive studios will see the actual sales of the HD-DVD side and begin producing for that format. Again, remember that all companies are in this to make a profit. If HD-DVD does not do well, any exclusive studios will produce for the other format. As of now, my money is going to HD-DVD.
giza is offline  
post #27 of 123 Old 01-11-2007, 05:55 PM
Newbie
 
Dundidit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by giza View Post

Dundidit, I agree with you to an extent. Just stopped by my local Best Buy to check the water for how hot the PS3 (according to most the cheapest and best Blu-Ray player) and the guy told me that the demand is relatively low. The initial hype that was caused by the PS3 to gradually slowing and as soon as less expensive HD-DVD players hit the market, HD-DVD will recover from any damage that was caused the hyped marketing at CES. I personally own a PS3 and haven't used it as much as SONY may have intended it to be used for Blu-Ray. Purchased one Blu-Ray move (X-Men III) and was not overly impressed because HD-DVD was my first viewing of the two and Blu-Ray would have really had to be drastically better for me to want to buy more.

That is one store. The PS3 is the second best selling of all products that Circuit City sells, and that is nationwide data (go to their web site and look at sales rankings). I'm sorry but I think we should wait to see actual NPD data and maybe several months before we start claiming the PS3 is not selling. This wouldn't surprise me in the long term though since it is very expensive, but the fact that Amazon is sold out and it is the 2nd best selling product nationwide for Circuit City stores is compelling. Plus Blu-ray sales are way up according to that web site people keep posting. I'm not here to push Blu-ray by any means but we need a little healthy dose of reality here.

Quote:


Now, knowing how many perves there are in this world, porn being exclusive to HD-DVD in all reality is a huge blow to Blu-Ray. Everyone does not download all of their porn. That's like saying no one is buying a car because they can save the money and right the bus.

I think the only reason some people think porn on video means anything anymore is because they remember VHS, which was a time we didn't have the Internet. I'm telling you, as an admitted perve who is honestly trying to curb a porn problem himself, we don't need this filth and it doesn't matter anymore when porn is so widely available online. Who is seriously building a porn video collection these days? It's all about filling your hard drive. I mean who doesn't have the Internet these days, and porn makes up probably 50% of it. And a heck of a lot of it is in HD too these days and this is only increasing. Who wants to buy a video when for the same price you can just join one of these mega sites and have unlimited downloads for an entire month. The reason porn is not a big deal for HDDVD anymore is because it isn't 1984.

Quote:


Sooner or later, the BR exclusive studios will see the actual sales of the HD-DVD side and begin producing for that format. Again, remember that all companies are in this to make a profit. If HD-DVD does not do well, any exclusive studios will produce for the other format. As of now, my money is going to HD-DVD.

I've heard this repeated so many times on this forum. But WHEN is this going to happen? You can only keep moving the goalposts for so long until reality starts sinking in. HDDVD clearly outsold Blu-ray in 2006 yet not a single defection, and in fact it looks like the only studio that didn't really announce much and gave their supporters a big lump of coal was Universal. And now, Blu-ray has now virtually tied and in some instances is outselling HDDVD on that web site that people keep pulling their data from. I agree that all companies are in this to make a profit but I agree with another poster in here who stated that these companies are also not stupid and they know that if they all support one format then that format will win and customers will adopt "high definition disc" much faster if there is no war.

And I'm sorry but I'm tired of hearing about these cheap Chinese units that are going to flood the market. I'd like to see it as much as anyone, but right now all we have is a paper list with no SKUs, no real release dates, no prototype units on the floor, no idea of availability, and no idea of even price. Also I'm putting the HDDVD promo group up to the same scrutiny as Blu-ray when it comes to smoke and mirrors now that we have 300 titles for this year and no release dates, a list of manufacturers and players with no SKUs or prices, and a manufacturer (Meridian) who has stated that they were surprised that Toshiba announced them as a new HDDVD manufacturer when in fact they have no players planned. And correct me if I'm wrong but one of these cheap manufacturers, Lite-On, just announced a Blu-ray drive yesterday.

If HDDVD wins because of porn and cheap players, great, but acting like Panasonic, Sony, Samsung, Philips, LG, Sharp and Hitachi are all just going to sit back and not reduce their player prices significantly this year and that consumers are really foaming at the mouth to get their hands on more disc-based porn in the Internet age is a little wishful thinking. Also HDDVD was always the more respectable format. and seeing it now reduced to porn and sweatshops as the cavalry with people that want it to win at any cost is quite unbelievable to witness. Consider this my last post though since I find reading this forum much more enjoyable than arguing about all of this, but I hope some of it makes sense and my opinion was valued.
Dundidit is offline  
post #28 of 123 Old 01-11-2007, 05:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
thebland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Detroit, Michigan USA
Posts: 23,710
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 117
A skillful rebuttal Dundidit. All points addressed, undermined and crushed.

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
thebland is offline  
post #29 of 123 Old 01-11-2007, 06:21 PM
Advanced Member
 
giza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 564
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This whole forum is an avenue for people like you and me, audio/video nuts with money to spend on our toys. This whole format war is not going to be won by people in this forum. All of the points you just made are all valid and your opinion. My opinion is that which ever camp finally get the hardware price below the $300 mark (without having to by an Xbox 360), hardware sales will increase for that format which will increase software sales. Sure the PS3 may be one the best selling products right now, but how long do you really think people are going to want to pay 500-600 for a game system?

I don't have links or can quote everything Blu-Ray/HD-DVD like you did in your rebuttal to my comments, because what I said are just comments. I also am not totally naive either. Sure Blu-Ray got increased presence from the PS3. But again, with its costs and current CE Blu-Ray players costs, your common person will more than likely refuse to pay a premium for anything HD. Not to mention, I have read a ton about people having to upgrade their TVs to get 1080p (which by the way in my eyes isn't worth the costs at the moment because most TV that claim to be 1080p are only upconverting 1080i).

Either way it goes, both more than likely will be around for the next couple of years. If HD-DVD loses, I still will have my player to watch those movies because I will still have my 360 add-on. The same for BR.
giza is offline  
post #30 of 123 Old 01-11-2007, 06:27 PM
Advanced Member
 
boden11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 519
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
It's not Panasonic, Sharp, Philips or even Pioneer that HD DVD needs to get on its side. The war will not be won by CE manufacturers but by content. BR has been more aggressive pushing content and that (along with of course getting 50GB discs and ohhh finally getting a decent PQ for its movies) has helped in these past few months. However, BR has managed to stifle adult movies for its own political reasons--I'm guessing it lies in the fact that BR's success is basically tied to the PS3. It's a gaming machine for those of all ages, and I'm sure a LARGE chunk is under 18 years old. While it is true that it wouldn't be Sony's XXX movie your son or daughter might be playing, the Sony name is so entwined with BR it would be hard for them NOT to get caught up in this. Just look at the 'news' you hear all the time about someone who 'found' porn on their Zune or used iPod...you think Sony wants people using their game machine to play porn on?

And this goes with my reasoning for backing Toshiba and HD DVD--why the hell should I subject myself to Sony's whims?? They dropped the ball on BR--it was OBVIOUSLY rushed to market and is still in a constant state of refinement (especially items like BD-J, interactivity, menuing, etc.). Please let me hand over my player to you to mess with as you like (ROM watermarking, license revoking). Do you trust Sony for this? A company that constantly lies?? How many PS3s were they shipping? 4-6 million by the end of the year? 2 million at launch?? Why does BR look bad on your TV--oh it must be your TV?? This is who you want at the helm?? And now they're deciding who can come up with content on their precious BR?? Hmmm, yeah. Don't think so Sony.

It was their lies that even got them their studio alliances and CE support--do you really think any company signed on for the pathetic showing BR has made so far?? Do you think Samsung would still have even bothered making a BR player if they knew how bad theirs would fare?

So even all *THAT* aside, and getting back to the possible impact of having porn EXCLUSIVELY on HD DVD...

Anyone who seriously thinks that HD DVD having an EXCLUSIVE lock on HD porno is 'not a big deal' is just mental in the head. Heck, myself personally, I don't even think HD DVD will be the exclusive provider of HD porn, I'm sure Sony will eventually give in. Still, it seems to me that HD DVD will definitely have MORE porno, at least for the next year. And while, yes, porn is obviously not going to WIN the war for a format, it still plays a crucial role. Each type of content plays a role--TV Shows, Special Editions, Multi-packs (like MI:1-3), Documentaries, Sports events, Concerts, and yes, even the lowly porno plays a role.

And just because Digital Playground is charging $49.95 for its big budget titles doesn't mean every single title will be this price. Adamandeve.com were working on a few titles themselves which were priced at the low $30s --and I think one was even $29.95 BEFORE coupons. Don't ask me what happened to their titles, I don't know, but to assume that since one studio picked $49.95 for 4 of its first titles that ALL titles from ALL studios will be $49.95 is ridiculous.

Porno was the first internet industry to post a profit. To think that people will just forget about it when it comes to HD is a joke. 1080p on an HD camcorder with no filters or stylized filming?? Yeah, it'll look better than 480p. HTPCs and other convergence technology or appliances are still not there to bridge any gap you don't think exists between downloaded content and disc content.
boden11 is offline  
Reply HD DVD Software

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off